The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Palouse

pesto

I have been wanting to shoot in the Palouse for a while and it looks as though next year may be the time. Does anyone know of a tour or a group that I might join to help me find my way around out there. I have traveled with Joe VanOs many times and invariably had a great experience and he does have a trip planned for 2015. However, two matters make me think to look elsewhere: I have a problematic schedule conflict during his trip but could likely make things work with a bit of juggling; and I often wondered if I should try someone different for a change, perhaps the Muench group. I will be shooting with a tech camera and would hope to find people who would be patient with the slower pace of these systems require.
Alternatively, are there any folks here that would like to get together with a few hearty souls and plan our own trip?

Douglas Benson

Don Libby

Douglas, Palouse is a beautiful area. We made our first visit just last month and are returning later this week. I had asked Graham Welland for some suggestions as I knew he'd been there and one of the best suggestions was finding Terri Lou's map which can be found at Photographer's Map of the Palouse. The map itself is well worthwhile and a great place to begin planning you visit.

Sadly I didn't have my WRS with me the last visit however I will on this (likewise an IR camera). Not entirely sure what waits for us next week however the entire area is a photographers wet dream.

Even if you go by yourself armed with Terri's map you'll be light-years ahead of the game.

I know this doesn't answer you questions however I hope the like to Terri's map will be of assistance if you hadn't already known of it.

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Douglas,

I'd be happy to meet up too when you know when you're out this way. I never get tired of shooting the Palouse and need no excuses to get out there. I can give you a few other pointers too beyond the maps as well which are staples of the Palouse area but somewhat missing from most guides to the area.

If you're looking for a good workshop, take a look at Jack Graham's offerings. He's local and a pretty well respected guide. Ditto Jack Lien.

Ditto Don - let me know if you're around at the weekend and I may make a trip out and show you what a real 4x4 looks like :D

Don Libby

Thanks Graham, we get into Moscow this Sunday and will be around shooting until the following Friday before heading back to Boise. Look for the great looking 2014 black Raptor if you happen to be in the area and I'll try and spot you "4x4" :grin:

pesto

Thanks Don ang Graham. I am thinking more long term toward next spring or early summer. I just returned from a few weeks in the Williamette Valley and western Olympic Penninsula and my persuit of domestic bliss will require my remaining down here in paradise for the near term. I do appreciate the information and as my plans unfold I shall be back in touch.

Douglas.