Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Where to?

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Where to?

    Its been a while since I visited the States..

    Maybe end November, early December my wife and me could get a few weeks.
    Could drop off her at my in-laws and go on my own. Yea, that will be gooood!!


    Now where to go? Wife wants to keep China for the summer ( she wants to go to Tibet on a train!!..out for me. Altitude; I can't breathe, no air!! )

    Ideally I want snow. Nature. Not too much hiking. If a 4x4 can go, I wouldn't mind a few meters of trekking, and I am in the woods.

    Preferably on the east coast; I hate air travel. 15 hrs non-stop is way too much already. Flying across another continent is really something I want to avoid.

    Come on guys, help me out here. I shall eat my turkey, before I fly out there.
    Somewhere quiet. Rustic, not hectic. But a hospital not too far away..
    And I love the Confederate States

    Thank you.

    p.s. I have two new cams to try out!! Searching the Internet, I find this might be the busiest time. So end first week Dec to before the Christmas busy season.
    p.p.s further research tells me to bypass nov/dec and try mid January onwards.
    Any suggestions, please.
    Last edited by rayyan; 19th October 2014 at 23:49.

  2. #2
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Where to?

    northeast can be bitter cold dec-feb, especially the northern parts. skiing can be icy for example, in vermont, in maine the ground is frozen hard until late march. you really have to travel west to get the picture book snow and non-icy conditions : Colorado, Utah, Tahoe

    NYC can be cold and windy.

    there is beauty to be found; for example the coast of long island is austere and un-inhabited. snow in NYC can be beautiful, etc

    you would have to travel at least as far south as the carolinas to get comfortable weather and then you are in the great south; but little snow, if that is what you are after

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    Thanks.
    Please check your pm.

    Kindest regards.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    northeast can be bitter cold dec-feb, especially the northern parts. skiing can be icy for example, in vermont, in maine the ground is frozen hard until late march. you really have to travel west to get the picture book snow and non-icy conditions : Colorado, Utah, Tahoe

    NYC can be cold and windy.

    there is beauty to be found; for example the coast of long island is austere and un-inhabited. snow in NYC can be beautiful, etc

    you would have to travel at least as far south as the carolinas to get comfortable weather and then you are in the great south; but little snow, if that is what you are after

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Where to?

    At the end of November to the beginning of December, the ground is not frozen in Maine nor New England. Cold, sure, but nothing like real winter. The leaves are off the trees. But this is a beautiful area any time of the year. Snow is likely in the White Mountain National Forest, but not guaranteed. In Maine the first snows a really a mid-late December thing. But some of the ski resorts might be operating by then--I would check, I am not a skier (snowshoeing is my way to travel). If you go to Acadia, they start closing the summer roads around December, so I would check with the park. But some folks find Maine and New England bleak that time of year--fall is gone and winter has not started.

    (didn't see the PPSes) Mid January-February is the cold season. Lots of stuff to do if you like skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling. And ice fishing if you want to rent a hut on frozen water. Acadia's winter trails are open. And this is another beautiful time in New England. Not far from Maine is Quebec city and Montreal. But dress warm. This is not a European winter, and certainly not a south of France winter, although we share the same latitude.

    But as Jim said, the south is warm and pleasant. If you head down to Florida, crocodiles don't migrate, so there will be plenty there for you. But in the mid-atlantic coast there are plenty of mountains if you are thinking of the East coast. Bigger ones out west. (and few in between.)
    Last edited by Shashin; 26th October 2014 at 17:29.
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    My favorite part of the east coast is the so-called "low country," the coastal areas of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. The weather will be decent, the beaches mostly empty, and the tides and marshes are always wonderful. Also lots of quaint small towns and friendly people.

    John
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    ...the beaches mostly empty...
    Well, our beaches in Maine are empty too...

    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Where to?

    Meh, everyone does the Northern East coast. (But I admit, I'm curious about Nantucket in winter).

    Step out and into solitude to the land of Hiawatha and the Big Sea Shining Water (Lake Superior), to Hemingway's favorite forest retreat, in particular, Tahquamenon Falls State Park in winter:

    Tahquamenon Falls State Park and Campground, Upper Peninsula of Michigan

    Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Take care the wolves don't get you.:roll eyes:

    If you want warmish try St. Augustine in northern Florida no woodland trails but steeped in history and a fantastic walk about photo location.

    Places like South Carolina (the first Confederate State, and where the civil war began), is best visited in Spring absolutely intoxicating. Charleston is one of my 3 favorite cities in the USA. San Francisco and Boston being the other two.

    - Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Its been a while since I visited the States..

    Maybe end November, early December my wife and me could get a few weeks.
    Could drop off her at my in-laws and go on my own. Yea, that will be gooood!!


    Now where to go? Wife wants to keep China for the summer ( she wants to go to Tibet on a train!!..out for me. Altitude; I can't breathe, no air!! )

    Ideally I want snow. Nature. Not too much hiking. If a 4x4 can go, I wouldn't mind a few meters of trekking, and I am in the woods.

    Preferably on the east coast; I hate air travel. 15 hrs non-stop is way too much already. Flying across another continent is really something I want to avoid.

    Come on guys, help me out here. I shall eat my turkey, before I fly out there.
    Somewhere quiet. Rustic, not hectic. But a hospital not too far away..
    And I love the Confederate States

    Thank you.

    p.s. I have two new cams to try out!! Searching the Internet, I find this might be the busiest time. So end first week Dec to before the Christmas busy season.
    p.p.s further research tells me to bypass nov/dec and try mid January onwards.
    Any suggestions, please.
    I'd tend to recommend Northern California for the ability to do the winter activities and still be able to enjoy city life in the same day but you said you wanted the East Coast. I will give another nod to North Carolina but I'll recommend the Western part as it very scenic and can be chilly some years (you'll be within car distance to SW Virginia/ Eastern Tennessee as well.) I won't promise that you'll get snow every year but there are a lot of outdoors activities and restaurants in the Asheville, NC area as well. Despite what some will say (or how the website may make you feel before going) it's NOT Napa Valley but a quiet weekend with the other half can be enjoyed there.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    Hey guys, apologies not responding earlier. I just saw you friends had suggested many regions.

    This is just to thank you kind folks. I shall show this to my wife and respond accordingly.

    I am really unsure if I shall fly across to the west coast.

    My kindest regards to you all.

    p.s. I was beginning to wonder if there were no folks on this forum from the States

  10. #10
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    You might want to check out the Miami Street Photography Festival which is the first week in December .

    This is a time of year I take off for some street shooting because (1) Thanksgiving is over and (2) Christmas hash t really started . I have checked off all my points for family get togethers .

    I ve done NYC during this period probably three or four times ..it can be bitter cold but often is still reasonable . Snow normally does t start until closer to Christmas. It is a good time for street shooting in the city although the days are really short and you may find that with clouds its getting dark at 3-4PM .

    Florida is pretty good this time of year …Miami has Art Basel the first week in December …so there are plenty of exhibits etc . But ..the rooms are a little harder to find .

    The real sleeper is Cuba ….since you appear to be traveling under something other than a US passport . You may have to fly thru Canada but the rooms are pretty cheap and there is a ton to shoot .

    If you want landscape …I would head for the everglades in Florida …December can be very good weather and the everglades is quite special and different from most locations . Its also easy to get to from Miami .

    Let me know if you need any help …I keep folders on my destinations and can point you in the right direction .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    Trip, hopefully, shall happen in early spring. With a very possible stop for a few days in Wiltshire, England. That's what the wife decided.

    I don't argue with her on a long flight trip/s.

    The Smokey mountains and Montanna.

    Thank you all for your suggestions.

    p.s The equipment..Nikon Df/50/85; Fuji XT/35/10-24

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Trip, hopefully, shall happen in early spring. With a very possible stop for a few days in Wiltshire, England. That's what the wife decided.

    I don't argue with her on a long flight trip/s.

    The Smokey mountains and Montanna.

    Thank you all for your suggestions.

    p.s The equipment..Nikon Df/50/85; Fuji XT/35/10-24
    You'll definitely get to use your ultrawides in the Smokies. I hated I left mine home for that trip but the good thing is it is only a 5 hour drive away.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    JFK, for example, is about 15hrs non-stop from my home.

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    You'll definitely get to use your ultrawides in the Smokies. I hated I left mine home for that trip but the good thing is it is only a 5 hour drive away.

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    JFK, for example, is about 15hrs non-stop from my home.

    Thanks.
    Yup... That's a long flight. I think I'm kinda used to those types of flights though.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    Hi you lovely people.

    Since last posting, a wonderful opportunity might present itself for my wife and me.

    A hard land based 4x4 trek through Java, Indonesia. Climbing volcanos, rain forests, shrines/temples, mountain tribes.

    We cannot afford the U.S. and this..financial constraints.

    This would be a once in a lifetime trip. Rainy season would make it tougher, but
    We can afford to stay put for the rain to clear...no time constraints.

    Which would you choose? My wife has made her choice in no uncertain terms.
    I am of two minds.

    If you had the opportunity, what would you choose?

    Best.

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Where to?

    I would choose your wife over everything else. And then Java and Indonesia...
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where to?

    Dear Valued Customer,
    Please find attached your Passenger Electronic Ticket Receipt for your upcoming travel.
    If you have any further questions, kindly contact our nearest Garuda Indonesia Sales Office or our Contact Center.

    Sincerely yours,

    ----------/--------/

    Shashin, taken your advice. Off to Java shortly. Alone. Wife prefers the U.S. this time around.

    Best.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •