The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Plan to travel to Victoria BC, advise please

silver92b

So, we are going to Seattle/Tacoma to visit my sons and we decided to go to Victoria BC as we have wanted to do it and finally get a chance. We'll be there the first of July and have a couple of days to visit.

I would love to hear recommendations about good places to see and take pictures in Victoria. Also I would appreciate advise on how to get there and back and good hotel recommendations.

My tentative plans are to drive to the Tsawwassen Terminal, go to Victoria, spend a couple of nights and return to Port Angeles, drive to some nice places to see and shoot and then on to Tacoma.

I tank you all in advance for your kind advise ;)

bradhusick

You might consider taking the Seattle Clipper fast ferry from Seattle to Victoria. Stay at the Fairmont Empress. See Buchart Gardens. See the Royal BC Museum. Go on a whale watching trip. See the maritime museum. This is a very full two days.

silver92b

I'm thinking shuttle and seaplane off Seatac, 2 nights in Victoria and return to visit in Tacoma and the Olympic Peninsula....

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Tofino Nanaimo Sooke Harbor

Campbell River Salmon fishing

Kayaking

Hiking

High Tea at the Empress

Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub in Victoria

Too many sites for a couple of days but all of them stellar.

Colour me JEALOUS...

Bob

V

Vivek

The lists by Brad and Bob brings back lot of memories.
I will add Pagliaccis (Italian food very crowded).

Contact simonclives. He lives in that area.

silver92b

Thanks a lot for all the nice feedback. Looks like our plans are firm now and the only decision left to do is whether to take the car to BC or leave it in PA. We decided to stay in the Hotel Grand Pacific which is centrally located. I hope we'll get to see and photograph some interesting sights.
We will ferry from PA to Victoria both ways and spend one night in a B&B near PA. Our base will be in Tacoma, so it makes more sense to go via PA than Anacortez.

I was all excited about a seaplane ride, but my wife nixed the idea :cry:, perhaps I'll go back again solo and take seaplanes everywhere :). You are all correct. Two nights is not enough to really see a lot. However, it's still a nice little vacation, perhaps a primer for future adventures :grin:

silver92b

You might consider taking the Seattle Clipper fast ferry from Seattle to Victoria. Stay at the Fairmont Empress. See Buchart Gardens. See the Royal BC Museum. Go on a whale watching trip. See the maritime museum. This is a very full two days.
seaplane tour around seattle is great fun.
Tofino Nanaimo Sooke Harbor

Campbell River Salmon fishing

Kayaking

Hiking

High Tea at the Empress

Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub in Victoria

Too many sites for a couple of days but all of them stellar.

Colour me JEALOUS...

Bob
The lists by Brad and Bob brings back lot of memories.
I will add Pagliaccis (Italian food very crowded).

Contact simonclives. He lives in that area.
Thanks again for all your kind input. We went to Victoria and had a wonderful time :). Took the Coho ferry from Port Angeles which dropped us across the street from the hotel. They gave us an upgrade to a luxury suite on the 9th floor with 3 balconies overlooking the harbor :thumbs:
Got to see the July 1st fireworks and all the festivities. Victoria is really a neat place. It's almost like a dream. Looking out the windows was like watching a movie or something...
Anyway, 2 days is really way too short a time to visit but we managed to see a lot of nice things and I took lots of photographs :)
Now I know what to do if and when we return.