The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo guide in Istanbul?

johneaton

Hello,

Tentatively planning a trip to Istanbul for Spring 2016 (probably April) -- looking for recommendations for a local photographer willing to act as a guide etc for a few days -- for a fee :) -- main interests buildings and architecture. Plus any recommendations as to where to stay!

Thank for your help!
John.

scrane

Hello,

Tentatively planning a trip to Istanbul for Spring 2016 (probably April) -- looking for recommendations for a local photographer willing to act as a guide etc for a few days -- for a fee :) -- main interests buildings and architecture. Plus any recommendations as to where to stay!

Thank for your help!
John.
Istanbul is a very accessible city. You will find many people who speak English. The old city is not large, and all sites can be accessed by walking. Public transportation is also well established. I have walked all areas of the city, day and night, without a problem.
Large mosques are open to the public during non prayer hours. You can visit smaller mosques if you can find them open. Many smaller mosques are converted byzantine churches. Some byzantine churches are open as museums for a fee. Photography is permitted every where, but tripods may be a problem indoors.
If you have no luck finding a guide, many guidebooks are available. You would be wise to prepare for your trip by studying these guides. I would recommend buying one of the glossy guides like DK for a general understanding of the city layout and major sites. I would also recommend John Freely's "Strolling Through Istanbul" for a detailed analysis of the city. The website "Virtual Tourist" is also a great resource. Reading up on the history of Constantinople/Istanbul will also add quality to your visit.
There are many hotels in Istanbul of all types. I would recommend the Sultan Ahmet district. This district is at the tip of the horn and close to Topkapi, Blue Mosque, and Hagia Sophia. I tend to stay in the cheaper hotels. Expect to pay $25-$40 per night for budget lodgings which will include breakfast. Cheap hotels range from scuzzy to nice but they all have personalities. There are many restaurants and street vendors for food at reasonable prices.
When you reach Istanbul you will have no shortage of people volunteering all kinds of services. This is the only downside of the city for me and can be an annoyance. Be careful. ATMs are easily found and for the most part secure. Bring a little cash for emergencies.
I have been to Istanbul seven times. First visit was in 1972 and it was quite an experience. The city is still an amazing mixture of the exotic and the familiar. I great place to experience muslem culture.
William (Sandy) Crane
Boise, ID.