The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Off to the desert of Namibia

Jeffrey

I'm off to Namibia on September 19th to shoot landscapes in the desert. My guide is Greg du Toit, the 2013 Africa Photographer of the Year.

Due to a weight limit for the small airplane we will use to move about, in one duffel bag of 44 lbs for everything I'm taking:

Phase One XF, 3-100 megapixel back, 40-80mm, 75-150mm, and a 240mm with an extender. The 40-80mm and 75-150mm lenses are the latest Schneider blue rings.

Novoflex carbon tripod with an Induro pano head. One leg of the Novoflex tripod unscrews and becomes my monopod on which I'll use a RRS monopod head.

VU brand ND's straight and soft edge filters, along with Breakthrough Photography brand circ polarizers.

I've received countless vaccinations and have otherwise done a lot of homework preparing for this expedition.

Oh yes, Craghoppers brand mosquito repellent impregnated lightweight clothing, mosquito repellent for my exposed skin areas, and lots and lots of sunscreen!

More after I return home at the end of September.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Seems to be an interesting trip to a country that I wouldn't mind visiting. No backup camera?

Craghoppers seems interesting, although expensive compared to the Camel clothing that I normally use for travel (and buy locally here in Thailand). Do you have any experience with regards to the durability of the mosquito repellent?

Jeffrey

I do not have any experience with the durability of the mosquito repellent that is infused into the Craghopper fabrics. The manufacturer claims the repellent will last for 30 washes.

As for a back up camera, excellent question. There is a 44 lb (20 kg) weight limit for all gear that must fit inside one duffel bag of certain dimensions due to our flying about in a small Cessna airplane. So, with the medium format gear it would be nearly impossible to meet the weight limit to say nothing of the expense of the gear.

The 3M brand Ultrathon insect repellent (34% DEET) that you apply to your skin came highly recommended by a Dutch photographer who basically lives in Kenya. The caution though is to be sure to wash the repellent off of your fingers after applying to your skin because if you touch any rubber parts it can possibly melt the rubber parts on things like lens focusing rings.

I hope this information is helpful!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 on the be careful with DEET based repellant residue on your fingers. It'll soften up plastic too and a good way to leave behind your own permanent mark on your gear, even down to the level of fingerprints.

How do I know? I learned that lesson many years ago. Still have a couple of personally biometrically branded Nikon flashes and an intervalometer. :facesmack:

M

mjr

You'll have a great time, back in my dim distant past I drove from London to Cape Town and Namibia was a highlight, superb place. I have used Craghoppers impregnated clothing for years now, everywhere from Darfur to Iraq to Mozambique, it's reasonably good stuff but loses it's abilities much sooner than 30 washes in my experience, just make sure you have sleeves rolled down and deet on exposed skin and you'll be fine. Covering up is key, I haven't found much difference between standard long sleeved shirts over impregnated stuff to be honest.

Looking forward to seeing your shots, enjoy!

Mat