The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

They traveled with me. Now I shall travel with them.

rayyan

Its only fair. We have seen most we all wanted to see. Good friends.

I removed them from storage. Dusted them off. Batteries are charging. They seem fine..on physical examination.

We have not seen Vietnam!!, they murmured.

My wife is off to South Africa. I am not a Safari person ( except for Mac ).

Lets show the new ones ' how it is done ', they said. What's this about pixels?, said the 700. Just marketing, said the M8.

Why not?, I replied. But first,we have to prepare. Fast!! Yes! Yes!!, we all shouted. We burst into a song..' a shooting we will go, a shooting we will go, Hey Ho...

Swissblad

Have fun Rayyan - I still enjoy using the D700 or the Fuji X100 ( I never could afford a Leica) - and frequently wonder why we need newer and more...... at times it just seems....:loco:

Look forward to seeing your pix!

:thumbs:

rayyan

Hi Swissblad.

Thank you for your comments.

The good news, the D700, fired right off..not missing a beat. The controls were where I loved them. SS, Aperture, ISO. Without taking one's eyes from the vf, I could control the whole process. Wonderful. The way cameras should be!

The M8. No fuss. The 28 and the 75 focused like a charm. The b&w out of that would beat the crap out of most. Yes, my friend. That shall go.

The bad news...the D700 is young. I seem to have grown old. 1 kg. My shoulders begun to hurt, after an hour. I am having second thoughts...just cannot see myself carrying it through a day, and the next and the next...

So maybe I will just throw in the Df. Or as you indicate, just the Fuji X100s.

I still have a few days to decide.

Stay well and thanks.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The D700 is indeed heavy. I sold mine for a good price. If I had any money, I would buy a Df to replace it. Until then, it's mostly those tiny m4/3 wonders for me and the D2Xs for when I want a real viewfinder to look through.

Have a nice trip. Vietnam is a very photogenic place, and regardless how long you stay, you will want to extend the stay a few days more... or weeks. Have you been to Cambodia?

rayyan

Jorgen, hope you are keeping well. Thank you for your comments. I can neither afford, nor want to possess the latest and the ' best '!

Even the Fujis begin to loose their size advantage, for me, once I start exploring their pro lenses. While I love primes...zooms beckon for easier travel photography.

Maybe, just a cam and a 50mm is what is meant for me.

Kindest regards.

Swissblad

Have to agree Rayyan - once the compact mirrorless kit becomes as large as FX dSLR........:wtf:

Take your M8 and Df, a few small primes - and enjoy your new found freedom.

On a recent trip to Venice, I used only the X100 - and sure it has its limitations - but it was a lot of fun.

Bon voyage and have a great time :thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, hope you are keeping well. Thank you for your comments. I can neither afford, nor want to possess the latest and the ' best '!

Even the Fujis begin to loose their size advantage, for me, once I start exploring their pro lenses. While I love primes...zooms beckon for easier travel photography.

Maybe, just a cam and a 50mm is what is meant for me.

Kindest regards.
As I'm getting older, I'm increasingly happy with a 50mm or 50mm equivalent. If I'm getting a Df in the future, it will probably be to use with the Zeiss 21mm, a cheap 50mm and an 85 or 105mm. At the moment, theF6 is my "full frame", and a very good one at that :)