Site Sponsors

Thread: They traveled with me. Now I shall travel with them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

They traveled with me. Now I shall travel with them.

Its only fair. We have seen most we all wanted to see. Good friends.

I removed them from storage. Dusted them off. Batteries are charging. They seem fine..on physical examination.

We have not seen Vietnam!!, they murmured.

My wife is off to South Africa. I am not a Safari person ( except for Mac ).

Lets show the new ones ' how it is done ', they said. What's this about pixels?, said the 700. Just marketing, said the M8.

Why not?, I replied. But first,we have to prepare. Fast!! Yes! Yes!!, we all shouted. We burst into a song..' a shooting we will go, a shooting we will go, Hey Ho...

koffee & kamera
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: They traveled with me. Now I shall travel with them.

Have fun Rayyan - I still enjoy using the D700 or the Fuji X100 ( I never could afford a Leica) - and frequently wonder why we need newer and more...... at times it just seems....

Look forward to seeing your pix!

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Swissblad.

Thank you for your comments.

The good news, the D700, fired right off..not missing a beat. The controls were where I loved them. SS, Aperture, ISO. Without taking one's eyes from the vf, I could control the whole process. Wonderful. The way cameras should be!

The M8. No fuss. The 28 and the 75 focused like a charm. The b&w out of that would beat the crap out of most. Yes, my friend. That shall go.

The bad news...the D700 is young. I seem to have grown old. 1 kg. My shoulders begun to hurt, after an hour. I am having second thoughts...just cannot see myself carrying it through a day, and the next and the next...

So maybe I will just throw in the Df. Or as you indicate, just the Fuji X100s.

I still have a few days to decide.

Stay well and thanks.
    koffee & kamera

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The D700 is indeed heavy. I sold mine for a good price. If I had any money, I would buy a Df to replace it. Until then, it's mostly those tiny m4/3 wonders for me and the D2Xs for when I want a real viewfinder to look through.

Have a nice trip. Vietnam is a very photogenic place, and regardless how long you stay, you will want to extend the stay a few days more... or weeks. Have you been to Cambodia?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, hope you are keeping well. Thank you for your comments. I can neither afford, nor want to possess the latest and the ' best '!

Even the Fujis begin to loose their size advantage, for me, once I start exploring their pro lenses. While I love primes...zooms beckon for easier travel photography.

Maybe, just a cam and a 50mm is what is meant for me.

Kindest regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree Rayyan - once the compact mirrorless kit becomes as large as FX dSLR........

Take your M8 and Df, a few small primes - and enjoy your new found freedom.

On a recent trip to Venice, I used only the X100 - and sure it has its limitations - but it was a lot of fun.

Bon voyage and have a great time

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Jorgen, hope you are keeping well. Thank you for your comments. I can neither afford, nor want to possess the latest and the ' best '!

Even the Fujis begin to loose their size advantage, for me, once I start exploring their pro lenses. While I love primes...zooms beckon for easier travel photography.

Maybe, just a cam and a 50mm is what is meant for me.

Kindest regards.
    As I'm getting older, I'm increasingly happy with a 50mm or 50mm equivalent. If I'm getting a Df in the future, it will probably be to use with the Zeiss 21mm, a cheap 50mm and an 85 or 105mm. At the moment, theF6 is my "full frame", and a very good one at that