The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scotland and the Isle of Skye

tylerallenmohr

Last year, I kept seeing photos of Skye's incredible landscapes over and over again from several random sources and it made me feel like I had to go. I wanted to make photos and just experience the place for myself. When the chance came for me to travel to London for work (I live in the USA), I knew that I had to extend the trip a while and head north. In a little more than a week I'll be taking that trip and couldn't be more excited. I will travel light and mostly be alone.

With me will be the
  • Nikon F2
  • Zeiss 21 Distagon
  • Some Velvia 50
  • and a tripod

I've got 4 days to get from Edinburg by car up to Skye and back. For those who can offer up some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Seriously, any tips or insight would be great. It seems like there's so many beautiful things to see and I don't want to miss out.

Of course I'll post some images when I get back!

Cheerfully,

Tyler

Jan

Prepare for sub-titles perhaps? I had serious difficulties in understanding some people on the island but it is one of the best places on earth. The weather can be very unpredictable (it's the charm at the same time) but running around with photo gear makes that very frustrating. So yes, bring something that keeps you warm and dry and don't travel too light.

Also, but times have changed a lot so it might be no longer an issue, you could be literally out of this world. I.e. I remember not seeing a single soul for hours, including no phone lines, let alone communication towers. Make sure at least someone knows when/where you are.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Tyler

Your trip is not one for the faint of heart ... Edinburgh to Skye is a day trip ... none of the posted speed limits are possible ...
unless you have a Ferrari and Jeremy Clarkson to drive you. Imagine a trip into the Sierras with every other vehicle coming at
you a lorry with a few mega tons of cattle, timber ... half in your lane.

By your self it will be a wonderful drive ... scenic views all the way ... rain and wind every hour ... but expect to travel at
half the speed posted and calculated by the computer.

Take the Skye bridge ... and if you are adventurous travel to the far end of the island.

This B&B is wonderful .... Lochshore House B&B Skye | Bed And Breakfast Isle of Skye

Although you cannot sling a dead cat without encountering a dozen similar places.

Pick your historical sites in advance and pace yourself.

A wee or Island dram at night after the driving is done ...

Homewards try to divert through the Highlands ...

Grantown-on-Spey at the Rossmore House B&B Rossmor Guest House, Grantown-on-Spey near Aviemore | B&B Accommodation ... or Aviemore ... a Scots Aspen ...

We usually stay at the hotel at the airport in Edinburgh ... early flight to LHR and home.

Perfect time of year ... rain sleet snow and wind ... bright sunshine ... all within the hour.

Should be wonderful.

Color me jealous ... would move there ... probably north shore of Harris ... in a heartbeat.
But I do not get a vote in the matter ... oh well ....

Regards,

Bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Last year, I kept seeing photos of Skye's incredible landscapes over and over again from several random sources and it made me feel like I had to go. I wanted to make photos and just experience the place for myself. When the chance came for me to travel to London for work (I live in the USA), I knew that I had to extend the trip a while and head north. In a little more than a week I'll be taking that trip and couldn't be more excited. I will travel light and mostly be alone.

With me will be the
  • Nikon F2
  • Zeiss 21 Distagon
  • Some Velvia 50
  • and a tripod

I've got 4 days to get from Edinburg by car up to Skye and back. For those who can offer up some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Seriously, any tips or insight would be great. It seems like there's so many beautiful things to see and I don't want to miss out.

Of course I'll post some images when I get back!

Cheerfully,

Tyler
Nikon F2... check
Zeiss 21... check
Velvia... check
Tripod... check
4 days.... you'll call in sick on the fourth day and stay for another week to cure your photographic health.

I would also bring a long lens as well, any length. There are lots of motives there calling for that too, although, with only two days on the island, you might not get enough time to use it.

Apart from that: Everything people have said and written about Skye is true :)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great images. Now I want to go there again. And that Zeiss 21mm that I've put up for sale, I think I'll keep it anyway :)