The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Belfast, Northern Ireland in early May

apsphoto

Hi all,

I am going to be in Belfast for the first two weeks in May, first time to any place in Ireland. It is a business trip, but I am taking a few extra days for photography and my company is good with that, my wife is also coming with me. I will have probably close to a week where I will be working and maybe 4 days or so of actual vacation. The evenings etc, will also available. I will be staying near downtown Belfast. I would love to hear about any photo locations, anything to do, sites to see, places to go, anything. I may rent a car if I have to, never driven on the left side of the road.... :). My wife is also interested in photography. Both of us like folk and local music as well as other music. I dabble with a guitar and my wife plays a harp. Super long hikes are kind of out the question, I am finding that in less younger days the stamina is not what it used to be....

But please any information would be greatly appreciated, if anyone wants to meet up maybe that can be arranged.

Many thanks for advice and tips.

Alan

Robert Campbell

Hi Alan

I've only just seen this. I was brought up in Belfast, though I've lived for many years out in the sticks. Belfast has changed a lot since my time. I understand there is a lively music scene, but I'm not the person who can advise on this.

I can suggest all the usual places otherwise to visit; and May is a good time, for the weather is often pleasant.

My daughter works for Tourism Irland and I've asked for a few heads up.

Robert Campbell

Hi

My daughter works in Germany, but replied to my questions; the links are in English:

The best places for music in Belfast would be Kelly's Cellars, Maddens and Fibber McGees - visit Belfast have a good selection on their website:

What's On Events Guide to Belfast - Visit Belfast

We have some tips on our website as well:

Belfast city | Ireland.com

I can send a few Ireland brochures and a map if that would help? Maybe directly to their hotel would be easiest?
I hope this helps. Any other queries etc, please ask.

Last edited:

rmueller

Hi Alan,

I'd rent a car and take the coastal highway to some scenic places like Giant Causeway etc, here is a link to some
of the places:
http://www.ireland.com/en-gb/articles/tripideas/causeway-coastal-route/

Might also want to search for "Antrim Coast" or "Causeway coastal route". Depending on your personal preference you
can leave out things. I wasn't too impressed about Bushmills Distillery for example but that is maybe because i was
in Scotland too often ;-)

Enjoy your trip, Ireland is a real beauty, folks are very friendly and after a beer or two the music gets even better.

Best Regards,
Ralf

Robert Campbell

I'd suggest going 'clockwise' round the north coast and the Antrim coast road. Cars here are much smaller than US models, and the roads are narrower. Most hire cars are manual.

Go inland to Portrush, coastal from there. Plenty of photographically interesting places, though many of the best images were taken in the evening. Look ut for the Causeway, Dunsererick, Whitepark Bay, Balinatoy harbour with the elephant, Carrick-a-rede

You might like a detour to Stranocum for the 'dark hedges'.

Take the Torr Head road from Ballycastle, it's very narrow and steep at the end, with a nasty hairpin. You can walk to the Grey Man's Path; Murlough Bay is pleasant.

The Londonderry Arms in Carnlough does 'High Tea'.

After Larne, look for The Gobbins on Islandmagee. This is a pathway at the base of cliffs, built a century ago as a tourist attraction by the railway. It was even more popular than the Causeway; it's said to have an example of every bridge type. It's been closed for repairs, though, and doesn't reopen until June, but you can still get an idea of it.

Belfast offers tours of the various 'troubles' sites, peace walls and murals (pronounced here as 'muriels') either by open-top bus, or you can hire a taxi (cab) and there are coach trips to Game of Thrones locations (such as the Dark hedges).

The Titanic Museum is very well done, and very sensitive.

The Mournes are south of Belfast; again, go clockwise. None of the mountains is very high, but the 'paths' can be rough.

For gardens, try Rowallane (rhododendrons) or Mount Stewart, both south-east of Belfast.

For open-air history, there is a Folk Park at Cultra, east of Belfast on the North Down coast. The Ulster-American Folk park is outside Omagh in co Tyrone, to the west, and tells the stories of Irish emigration; about a couple of hours drive from Belfast.

apsphoto

Thank you all for the wonderful tips and advice. I do appreciate it. I will be there the first two weeks of May, arriving the 2nd and leaving the 13th. I will have to work for 3-4 days and the rest is my time. and of course evenings will be open. Really looking forward to it, never been to Ireland and it looks like such a wonderful place.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Alan

Robert Campbell

Thank you all for the wonderful tips and advice. I do appreciate it. I will be there the first two weeks of May, arriving the 2nd and leaving the 13th. I will have to work for 3-4 days and the rest is my time. and of course evenings will be open. Really looking forward to it, never been to Ireland and it looks like such a wonderful place.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Alan
Any questions, just ask. A DM will send an me email, so I'm likely to see it sooner — nothing secret, just convenience!

BTW: unless you want a few souvenirs, don't bring the local banknotes back home. Although we use the £ sterling, the local banks issue their own notes, and these are often difficult to exchange for 'real money' elsewhere. Bank of England notes are easily exchangeable, but rather infrequent. If you go down south, there are no border formalities, indeed you might hardly be aware that you are in a different country. There they use the Euro, €, but the notes are easily exchangeable. There are lots of ATMs.