The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Central Alaska in winter

tylerallenmohr

I'm going to be headed to Anchorage at the end of November. Probably not the ideal time of year for tourism but nevertheless I'd like to seek out some nice photo opportunities. Mainly landscapes or other wide angle compositions. Willing to bundle up and trek.

Where can I go including surrounding areas (Kenai, Kodiak, Homer?) I should be able to take a few days to drive/fly to one additional destination outside Anchorage if it's worth it.

I've considered Matanuska glacier or Denali as potential already too, although it's ambiguous as to weather Denali will be accessible at that time.

Regards,
Tyler

bensonga

Hi Tyler,

I just read your PM and will respond in greater detail in a reply PM. Thanks to Bob for suggesting you contact me, since I don't often check the Destinations and Hot Spots sub-forum.

There is no snow here at the lower elevations in Anchorage yet, but lots of snow up in the mountains. I would be very surprised if we don't have snow at the lower elevations by the time you arrive later this month.

I will send you a PM with some suggestions today and if you have time while visiting Anchorage, I would be happy to meet up with you to discuss some of the places to see. Matanuska Glacier is certainly a terrific place, although I've never hiked out onto the glacier in the winter.

One of my favorite locations is Bird Point on Turnagain Arm, which is about 30 miles south of Anchorage, near Girdwood. The tidal mud formations and scenery is constantly changing there, both with the seasons and the time of day.

Gary