The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In Point Lobos, Where Edward Weston Saw the World Anew

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"One exception to this biographic amnesia, and a worthy candidate for a plaque from the National Register of Historic Places, is Edward Weston’s house on the Monterey Peninsula. If American modernist photography can be said to have a spiritual birthplace that can still be visited, it’s his home on Wildcat Hill in Carmel Highlands where he lived off and on from 1938 until his death in 1958. Many of the Weston photographs that now sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars were printed here. What’s more, his commanding series of seascapes and landscapes were taken only a few miles from the front door, at what is now the Point Lobos State Reserve."

Full story

O

Oxide Blu

Nice article -- thanks!

My time in Carmel can be measured in years, and I have no idea where Weston's house is.

Seascape

I have visited the area a number of times, and located the Weston house at Wildcat Hill, it is difficult to see from the highway, although you can see part of the house from the road. Just knowing it is there as it was back in Edward's day, is somehow comforting.

Good for Kim, for keeping it just like it was all those years ago......there is so much photographic history there.

With Point Lobos and Big Sur so close, it is easy to see why people such as John Sexton continue to live in the area.