The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best time of year for Grand Canyon?

dhsimmonds

Can anyone please advise the best time of year to visit and photograph the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain etc., national parks?

Maggie O

For the Grand Canyon, I would think that winter would be the best time, as there are fewer visitors and winter rains in California lower the amount of hydrocarbon haze in the canyon. And as we know from the Moab workshop, the combination of rock and snow can't be beat!

stephengilbert

I don't know about the others (though Maggie sounds to be right), but I think late spring for Yosemite: before the crowds, but there's still snow high up and lots of water flowing, including waterfalls. You can look for yourself here http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/index.htm, although the live camera views seem to be inoperative right now; check later. The only thing likely to be missing in the winter and early spring are cumulous clouds.

Steve

D

DougDolde

For the Grand Canyon Monsoon season is good. mid July to mid September. Winter is also good but the North Rim is closed after mid Oct or so.

dhsimmonds

Thanks everyone for your interesting and informative advice. We will probably take about 17 days to visit the area taking in Yellowstone, Great Teton, Rochy Mountain as well as the Grand Canyon National Parks and at the moment it looks as if we will probably do it in late Autumn.