The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kauai in July

I am headed to Kauai later this month. Does anyone here have any insights on locations they care to share? I will be there 10 days and expect to have plenty of time for photography. Douglas from the Sony forum has already given me a good tip for a doors off helicopter tour. Any other tips/locations would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Mark

Lisa

One real must-do is to drive up into Ko'kee State Park to see Waimea Canyon, the Kalalau Canyon viewpoint, and the gorgeous jungle up near the end of the road. If you hike, hiking from the end of the road (and elsewhere in the park, for that matter) is great. It can sometimes get chilly up there because of the elevation and frequent fog, though, so take appropriate clothing. Sometimes you need to be patient for the fog to clear.

Lisa

Go buy The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook -- worth its weight in gold. If you to do the doors off helicopter you might consider taking the last one of the day. If you have a small, light carbon tripod, take it with you -- you'll understand part way through the flight. Really, everywhere in Kauai is stunningly beautiful, so don't get too hung up on where to go.

A couple quick notes, car break-ins are extremely common, particularly on rental cars. Always take anything of value with you. Fruit in any market is incredible and very cheap. There used to be a great coffee shop in Kapaa called Java Kai that had the most amazing chai. Great breakfast place across from it too, but forget the name. Go to the Marriott, the place is insane and the bar is great. IMO Waimea is really only worth going on a clear day. If you take the helicopter trip you will get if from the air too.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am headed to Kauai later this month. Does anyone here have any insights on locations they care to share? I will be there 10 days and expect to have plenty of time for photography. Douglas from the Sony forum has already given me a good tip for a doors off helicopter tour. Any other tips/locations would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Mark
TWO WEEKS....I don t get two weeks and I m retired! Shoot me an email if you haven t booked your rooms yet ..I have a suggestion.

The helicopter is a dream. Check to see if there are any sailboat races you might catch from the air.

Sounds like a great trip.

Roger

Lisa, Bill, and Roger, thank you for the tips. I already have the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, lodging arrangements, and car reservations. I am debating whether I need to change my car rental to a sport utility vehicle to improve access on some of the dirt/muddy roads. Also, I have been spending time with Google Earth and find it to be excellent for familiarizing myself with the island. I enjoy zooming down to a perspective view and flying around the island. It is great at showing the sun/light/shadow patterns throughout the day in the various locations.

Mark

Lisa

If you stay on the main roads, there's no need for an SUV. However, there are some very fun dirt (more like mud) roads in Ko'kee State Park that get to some great hiking areas & picnic areas, and for those you want a real off-road vehicle. We rented a Jeep Wrangler for that. If you think that sounds like fun, then consider renting an off-road vehicle.

Another fun thing to do on Kauai is river kayaking. There are also sea kayaking tours, but river kayaking is safer and calmer, for those who aren't very experienced, and the rivers are gorgeous. You can rent kayaks along the Wailua River on the east side of the island, and along the Hanalei River on the north side. Both rivers are great for kayaking, with great scenery. (One of my gallery photos here was taken from a kayak on the Hanalei River.)

Lisa

Good info Lisa. Thank you much. I will consider both. The kayaking looks like fun. I enjoyed your gallery.

I am going to need some luck with mother nature. I will be in Kauai next week and there is a hurricane and a tropical storm headed in the general direction next week. I hope it will be beneficial in producing some interesting skies and waves.

Mark

G

GuitarCrazyo

All this talk of Kauai has piqued my interest a bit, but it seems like the only hotels are the big resorts.

I was wondering if there are any smaller, non-"all inclusive" hotels, or possible a few upscale B&Bs on the island?

Thanks.

Lisa

GuitarCrazyo, I find that the web site www.tripadvisor.com is a great resource for finding great lodgings of whatever sort you're looking for anywhere in the world. I recommend you give it a try.

The last time we were in Kauai, I looked around for smaller places like you're asking for, and there were a few, but nothing that sounded very appealing to me. I was also there with relatives who preferred a condo/resort sort of place. We ended up staying at the Outrigger Waipouli, which is one of the big resort/condo places, but it wasn't all-inclusive, it was just a nice condo to stay in with a really fun swimming pool.

Lisa

I

Insotsvot

I am going to Kauai in May. I know it is not the same as STJ, but we love to snorkel and I just discovered I love scuba diving too. Does anyone have any expeience in Hawaii with either?
Thanks