Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Leica M9 Review ( The Journey Begins)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M9 Another Leica Journey (Report)

Hi Guy - In regards to DNG974, the clipping occurs when the WB is changed. As shot there is not highlight clipping in sky. When the K value is changed, the sky is still blue and non of the channels actually blew-out. The blue channel was hovering ~253. The value is just low enough to trigger the C1 highlight warning (depending on the threshold set).

C1 applies an aggressive S-curve that often results in clipped highlights. With C1's highlight recovery we can recapture those "lost" highlights - but that is somewhat convoluted because the only reason they were clipped was because of C1's S-curve.

When I open the same files in RAW Developer, what was clipped in C1, usually is not clipped in RAW Developer. The delta in this case is that RAW Developer opens with a linear tone curve. If we select the "Linear Response" in C1, then the two editors are more closely matched.

Judging a camera's approximated DR with C1 and the default tone curve can be misleading. If I was batch-processing 800 images, then I'd just roll with it and not worry. But if processing a smaller group of images and there is time to tweak individual files, setting the response to Linear and applying your own S curve in the Curve panel will generate better results.

After looking at your P30+ files, I think I'd be more excited about a P30+ sensor integrated into a ZD camera body!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the detail is what grabs you for sure.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the colors I am getting with the M9.

I punched these up a bit for fun. These files can handle some pushing, and they keep a nice smooth tonality. These are processed in LR2 - I'm still tweaking and fine-tuning my settings, and then will be comparing to C1 later this week.

I'm posting more images from the weekend over on the "More fun with the M9" thread.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Mike. Keep them coming. I may run out after I drop my son off for basketball and shoot something close by. There is just nothing up here but a cowboy town. We had a dry summer and everything is dead almost. Need a road trip with this. I will probably get the M9 again in a couple weeks and we can test a few more things but regardless i already figured out this is leica's best effort yet in digital. If I had the money I would buy it and i do have a use for it with regards to work. My wish is I had time to shoot for myself so I can really get something nice from it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Maybe true but seriously you don't want to lose the 135mm lens. It all of a sudden became important at least to me. Not sure I would buy a M9 without a 90mm in the bag. That to me is a must
    Absolutely! The 90 got more use already than most of the time I was using the M8. BTW, my lowly 90/2.8 stuff on the M9 shows just how good these older, less expensive lenses really are.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    I like the B&W conversions Guy. Your shots from this morning, with the early sun and nice textures, really show what the M9 can do.
    I don't agree here. Those B&W are pushed to the point that the highlights are almost blown in an attempt to get the contrast ... I am interested in how this camera does B&W since more than 50% of my stuff gets converted. I'm talking white wedding dresses and black tuxes along with skin tones here ... and not spending 1/2 hour on each shot to convert them.

So far, I see these M9 files as having a bit of flat B&W mid-tone response ... very similar to the Sony A900 ... the very thing that provides he subtile color transitions translates into flatter B&W response.

The M8 and Nikon D3X have very similar B&W mid-tone response and convert very easily to B&W. Sometimes just a tone map in B&W with minor tweaks does the job. Haven't been able to do that with any M9 files yet.

I tried LR and C1 Pro and am not satisfied any more than I am with the A900 B&W compared to the D3X or M8.

I'll need to work on this and maybe we need a LR plug in and/or an action with custom curves.

There is always a solution, it just takes time.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Nope - lens info is not stored in the user profiles.
    Too bad. Could be useful.

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Harsh mid-day sunlight, so some B&W conversions (LR2) for Marc...
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Harsh mid-day sunlight, so some B&W conversions (LR2) for Marc...
    Thanks so much Mike.

However those won't cut it for my applications. The blacks are crushed and hold little detail. I can get that from the M9 but can't quite get a white white with some tone and a black black that still has detail ... like I easily can from the D3X and M8.

Here's a straight Tone Map B&W conversion from the M8 to demonstrate a little bit of what I'm talking about ... took 5 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, have you tried shooting an 8-bit compressed RAW? If Leica is using the same calculations on the M9 as the M8 to create 8-bit DNG compressed, then that might do the trick for you.

Post Thanks / Like

A question for those that have used the m8.2 and m9.

Is the m9 really, really, really worth 4 to 5 grand more than a used m8.2?

I mean, besides the IR problem, for which there's fix with filters, the m8.2 has the same body, minor changes to the controls, uses the same lenses, has a very good sensor and produces great b&w files. (see marc's post)

Shouldn't one consider investing the 4 grand in glass instead of the new camera?

If you take a step back and look at it from arational, unemotional standpoint, can you seriously say "it's worth 4 thousand more than a m8.2"?

Both cameras have limited use for the professional. you can't frame acurately for one thing, so it's either a snap shot camera for weddings or a landscape camera...

I'd love to hear a really convincing argument why this camera body is worth 6 grand. "Small, lght, great lenses" is great for a vacation, but the m8.2 ofers "small, light and great lenses" as well.

I'm impressed wit the files, but I'm just as impressed with m8.2 files I've seen from marc or james russel.

Just wondering out loud...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It depends what you need. There is quite a difference between 10Mp and 18Mp. Which is what I need and prefer. if you don't need the 18Mp, then you don't need an m9.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kipling View Post

I mean, besides the IR problem, for which there's fix with filters, the m8.2 has the same body, minor changes to the controls, uses the same lenses, has a very good sensor and produces great b&w files. (see marc's post)

Shouldn't one consider investing the 4 grand in glass instead of the new camera?

If you take a step back and look at it from arational, unemotional standpoint, can you seriously say "it's worth 4 thousand more than a m8.2"?

Both cameras have limited use for the professional. you can't frame acurately for one thing, so it's either a snap shot camera for weddings or a landscape camera...

I'd love to hear a really convincing argument why this camera body is worth 6 grand. "Small, lght, great lenses" is great for a vacation, but the m8.2 ofers "small, light and great lenses" as well.

I'm impressed wit the files, but I'm just as impressed with m8.2 files I've seen from marc or james russel.

Just wondering out loud...
    I think that is a good question Kipling. The answer will be different for each person.

There is a lot to weigh when balancing out the thinking.

For me the answer is yes. I prefer the most I can afford going in to any shoot.

When shooting weddings or events with a fixed prime lens camera, I never know how close I can get at the spur of a moment ... so cropping is an option I want. All things being equal, 18 meg beats 10 meg every time. I also have a 24/1.4 ASPH and would like to use it at 24mm, so full frame is an option I like.

The same reasoning applied to selecting a $7K+ D3X over a used $3K D3 ... because I rarely shoot over ISO 1,000 (which both cameras do well).

I also think the M8 is a very viable option, especially if you haven't completed your lens line up. In this case I prefer the M8 with the latest firmware over the M8.2 because the 1/8000 shutter speed ... valuable for those addicted to Lux lenses in bright light.

Investment is a word you used ... lens are more of an "investment" because it doesn't matter what digital M comes next. IMO, no digital camera should be considered as an investment ... just a necessity for using the lenses you have invested in.

Just my 2. concerning a 700,000 camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc - did you get yourself sorted out on exposure compensation? Guy's post #88 tells the story.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kipling View Post

A simple point, which may, or may not be relevant.
    1. If you accept a 1 stop benefit in ISO (which should be the case simply on the basis of the extra real estate of the sensor, even if the response is the same).

2. if you want to shoot fast wide angle

3. you like a small camera

Well, the M8 with the 21mm 'lux (3495) is going to have the same field of view as the M9 with the 28 'cron ((1900) (UK ex vat prices).

It's also almost exactly half the weight and size and has sharper corners and edges.

This point actually goes for most of the wide angle choices, and if you are going to shoot landscape (as you suggest) then the extra MP is also relevant and welcome.

The argument becomes less compelling as you get to longer focal lengths, but it's worth remembering, that if you decide to shoot, for instance, the 75 'cron, then it is no longer the delightful 100mm small telephoto it is on the M8 . . . except that if you crop out the middle, you have exactly the same resolution as the M8 shot.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Getting back to the B&W, Marc I'm really interested in what you are seeing here. If you find a PP routine that gets you where you need to be with the M9 please let us know what it is. Having good B&W's is important to a lot of us. Do you use the Silver Eflex Pro plug in? It has a lot of B&W flexibility.
    Mike

website under construction

nei1

A comment from someone who hasn"t used either but has many years experience with film leicas and lenses.............We are talking about ghosts here,if you dont believe in ghosts youre better to look elsewhere;to nikon or canon.And no,youre not talking about 4 or 5 thousand but much more,...the quality right down the line has to be the best,if youre not going to loose that(to steal a well known phrase)"ghost in the machine"

Its just money,if youve got it spend it,this is cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Functional it is much nicer to work with the M9 over the M8's. For me the info , ISO set and those functions keep me in the know . The M8 was a guessing game. Also the 18mpx and extra ISO stop make for a wedding, journalist and event guy a much happier person. Other things as well. Come Wednesday after my shoots I was planning a little update like that. Because it is a good question the answer is yes but depends on need as well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Getting back to the B&W, Marc I'm really interested in what you are seeing here. If you find a PP routine that gets you where you need to be with the M9 please let us know what it is. Having good B&W's is important to a lot of us. Do you use the Silver Eflex Pro plug in? It has a lot of B&W flexibility.
    Well, it's very early in the game, and I bought the camera ... so I have to figure it out

I want to explore all the options and play around without a deadline gun to my head like I had all weekend. I'll try some C1 Pro conversions but that's not my preference since C1 is just to slow and has less processing tools compared to LR.

I may have to drag Irakly into the problem ... he's a genius with Lightroom especially B&W, (he even processes his Phase One Contax 645 files in LR).

Of note, I haven't fully solved the B&W issue with the A900 yet either The D3X bests the A900 for B&W conversions in comparable shooting conditions every freaking time ... Grrrrr.

Silver Effects Pro is an option because I can access it without leaving Lightroom. So, I may have to take your suggestion.

Thanks,

-Marc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guys I loaded a whole bunch of DNG that you can play with and C1 you can get a free 30 day trail. Go back and look for the link to IDisk. I did all my conversions right in C1 yes as I mentioned the come in slightly flat which is what you really want actually since it flattens the curve but easily can make a preset or make the correction and create a style.
    Than apply that or bring it into CS4 and create action. The B&W are very nice and you have a lot of elbow room. I stretch two of them really hard and it held up nicely

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Marc - did you get yourself sorted out on exposure compensation? Guy's post #88 tells the story.
    What post No. 88?

None of these threads have gone that high yet have they?

Can you provide a quick link ... I'm very interested if I missed something since I didn't read the manual yet ...

UPDATE ... bothered to actually read the manual ... LOL! Nice feature. Set the camera to use the dial. Now to just remember to set it back after a series of shots

Thanks!
    Last edited by fotografz; 21st September 2009 at 05:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here Marc I copied and pasted it here

WARNING Well strange thing happened this morning and something I did not go over in the menu video but really should be brought up. I start shooting my tests and was wandering why my LCD was so bright in A mode and got frustrated and switched to manual for the whole test and actually used my Phase Body and the Sun rule plus my Phase Histo to go through the test because I know it better. Anyway after I am all done I was looking at the Info in playback and seen that every exposure was 1.5 stops over in the EV. But it did not matter because I shot everything in manual mode. But here is the problem at some point yesterday when holding down the shutter release in A mode I spun the wheel around on the back which controls the EV compensation. Now you see the change in the finder but you really don't notice it because it is on the bottom. Problem is you don't know. Now Jack said the same thing happens in his Canon.
    So let's go back to that menu option again in writing so you know what happens.

In the menu you have three settings SET menu only which when you hit the SET button on the back and bracket out the EV you can control it there which means your eye is off the finder

2 is Setting Ring so no matter what if you spin that it will do the EV in either direction VERY DANGEROUS if your not paying attention

3 is Setting ring and Release button which means both release half way and setting ring
    Not as dangerous

Number 2 got me in trouble or really could have but everything last night and this morning was manual shutter so had no affect but A mode it will.

I would read the manual on this if you get one But I would opt for number 2 even though you have to take your eye off the finder it just makes me feel safer.

Something you have to try and find what you like the best.

One other thing I missed in the menu video and actually a great function is after you shoot a shot hit the info button and Histo and shooting info is in there. Now that info button before the shot shows battery and SD card info plus shutter it also becomes a great tool after the shot. Suggestion get used to that button quickly very good tool

Now maybe a idea for a firmware change in the EV comp. the setting wheel even though the EV is on the bottom of the finder a very quick red flash might be of benefit that you are going into EV. Maybe something to discuss but I really could have been screwed if I went in A mode and I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc second shot out of the camera and it sucks but the Histo is perfect right across the board in color , quick style change in C1 to B&W and holding detail in the hottest spots. I did nothing to this . This is blazing hot light as well so any wedding dress will hold detail

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    What post No. 88?

None of these threads have gone that high yet have they?

Can you provide a quick link ... I'm very interested if I missed something since I didn't read the manual yet ...
    Here you go Mark. Significant change from the M8

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...0&postcount=88

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc second shot out of the camera and it sucks but the Histo is perfect right across the board in color , quick style change in C1 to B&W and holding detail in the hottest spots. I did nothing to this . This is blazing hot light as well so any wedding dress will hold detail
    That's the solution ... Guy has to send me some Southwest light ...

However, while these look good they still don't look right to me. But to be fair, we had months of work with the M8 to get it on the money, not just a few hours.

Besides the obvious creative option of B&W, the challenge for my applications is also converting mixed indoor lighting including skin tones, which is frequently the solution to color shots that just can't be corrected well enough without ghastly skin tones or some other awful color aberration. B&W saves the day in those conditions.

BTW, the color from the M9 requires less work than the M8, and is everything I could have hoped for ... that alone is worth it's weight in gold ... which is about what this camera costs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will be out on a 2 day shoot so limited to Iphone. If needed use [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    That's the solution ... Guy has to send me some Southwest light ...

However, while these look good they still don't look right to me. But to be fair, we had months of work with the M8 to get it on the money, not just a few hours.

Besides the obvious creative option of B&W, the challenge for my applications is also converting mixed indoor lighting including skin tones, which is frequently the solution to color shots that just can't be corrected well enough without ghastly skin tones or some other awful color aberration. B&W saves the day in those conditions.

BTW, the color from the M9 requires less work than the M8, and is everything I could have hoped for ... that alone is worth it's weight in gold ... which is about what this camera costs
    Just a matter of getting our work flow down, but this will certainly be easier with the M9 over the M8 no question in my mind. Out of the gate they are very very good. We just have to find our comfort zone. Folks no matter what this takes some time even with very experienced users and one reason I put all those DNG up to download. Take the files and work them . There is nothing special shooting wise but they are pretty typical of what most people shoot . What the really are in a lot of cases the toughest lighting you will ever have to deal with . You get burned here walking out the door. I kid you not unless you are in the Saudi desert nothing is this bad. Which is what you want. I don't do pretty tests. I call them the ugly test and take the worst case you can find shoot it and make it good. Studio shots of pretty models do nothing on the learning scale. Perfect lighting will not help you with processing and pulling tone curves to make corrections. Marc and Ben and other wedding shooters pretty much in every shot have to deal with a dress that needs to be 245 on the blowout scale try doing that all day in this sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff here...

Two thing that I have not heard mentioned, which I am glad that they are not mentioned:
    1) The dreaded focus issues. Looks like the lens focus within range... very minute back or front focus.
    2) Frame line are reasonably accurate

Guy, Mike, Jono, & other M9 users... I am assuming these are no more or not as bad in the M9.

I would love to get an M9...

Thank You.
    Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here Marc I copied and pasted it here

WARNING Well strange thing happened this morning and something I did not go over in the menu video but really should be brought up. I start shooting my tests and was wandering why my LCD was so bright in A mode and got frustrated and switched to manual for the whole test and actually used my Phase Body and the Sun rule plus my Phase Histo to go through the test because I know it better. Anyway after I am all done I was looking at the Info in playback and seen that every exposure was 1.5 stops over in the EV. But it did not matter because I shot everything in manual mode. But here is the problem at some point yesterday when holding down the shutter release in A mode I spun the wheel around on the back which controls the EV compensation. Now you see the change in the finder but you really don't notice it because it is on the bottom. Problem is you don't know. Now Jack said the same thing happens in his Canon.
    So let's go back to that menu option again in writing so you know what happens.

In the menu you have three settings SET menu only which when you hit the SET button on the back and bracket out the EV you can control it there which means your eye is off the finder

2 is Setting Ring so no matter what if you spin that it will do the EV in either direction VERY DANGEROUS if your not paying attention

3 is Setting ring and Release button which means both release half way and setting ring
    Not as dangerous

Number 2 got me in trouble or really could have but everything last night and this morning was manual shutter so had no affect but A mode it will.

I would read the manual on this if you get one But I would opt for number 2 even though you have to take your eye off the finder it just makes me feel safer.

Something you have to try and find what you like the best.

One other thing I missed in the menu video and actually a great function is after you shoot a shot hit the info button and Histo and shooting info is in there. Now that info button before the shot shows battery and SD card info plus shutter it also becomes a great tool after the shot. Suggestion get used to that button quickly very good tool

Now maybe a idea for a firmware change in the EV comp. the setting wheel even though the EV is on the bottom of the finder a very quick red flash might be of benefit that you are going into EV. Maybe something to discuss but I really could have been screwed if I went in A mode and I don't know.

When you bring the camera to eye is shows the shutter speed, and if any compensation is currently set there will be red dot(s) flashing next to the shutter speed. If no red dot is flashing then no comp is set. A half press reveals the EV value compensation which can be set with the thumb wheel. Like with any camera you do need to remember to set it back to 0. BUT the flashing red dots are plenty of warning IMO.

This fixes the only functional complaint I have so far. Easy Peasy.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did a quick scan of this thread to see if someone was offering a DNG file for download but didn't find it if it's here. I'd love to play with one. Is there one here or maybe in another thread?

Thanks!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim,

Guy has posted some here: http://idisk.mac.com/guymancuso-Public?view=web

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    I did a quick scan of this thread to see if someone was offering a DNG file for download but didn't find it if it's here. I'd love to play with one. Is there one here or maybe in another thread?

Thanks!
    Tim
    Just don't go there Tim, just don't go there. I'm currently trying to work out how to find the money for mine . . . . one look and you're
    DOOOOMED

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Just don't go there Tim, just don't go there. I'm currently trying to work out how to find the money for mine . . . . one look and you're
    DOOOOMED
    Can't you just tell the Big L that you misplaced your loaner? Happens all the time, I'm sure they'll understand.

Which won't help me much. I am DOOMED, no doubt. Plus, I have to go out and build a brick wall to shoot when the darn thing finally arrives!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the colors I am getting with the M9.

I punched these up a bit for fun. These files can handle some pushing, and they keep a nice smooth tonality. These are processed in LR2 - I'm still tweaking and fine-tuning my settings, and then will be comparing to C1 later this week.

I'm posting more images from the weekend over on the "More fun with the M9" thread.
    These are my fave M9 shots to date (that I have seen posted online) - Great color!
    Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    The line here doesn't look like the lines (yes, plural... there were two) on mine. This looks like it could be residue, but it is very symmetrical, and that's a little worrisome. By the way, the lines on mine were in fact visible at all ISOs, but more apparent at high ISO. Going back and looking at some of the files, I occasionally found a hot pixel right on each of the lines, one of them was quite large.

Here's an sample showing the two lines. One through the monitor on the left, and the other through his arm:
    Attachment 22405
    Looks like the line I saw in one of my M8.2's.
    Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I downloaded a few files (thanks again Stephen) and proceeded with my typical workflow; open in C1 then pop 'em over to PS. I then went about applying the steps in PS which have become habit and represent a fairly ingrained process. But hey! Wait a minute! After doing all the little tweaks which have heretofore been essential in achieving my own version of sweetness, I realized that the files didn't look any better than they did initially in C1!

Is it possible that the files are already good enough without any more massage in another program? I think that will take some getting used to. I think these files are different than what I'm used to seeing from the M8. It is more than just an M8 on steroids, it's a bit of a different animal. A nice, well developed, tasty animal.

And I did try a couple B&W conversions and discovered a little of what Marc was referring to. The conversions look more like color shots converted to B&W than the M8. I too have come to accept the M8 files as a pretty decent B&W shooter, especially when coupled with Nik Silver Efex. I think it will take a lot more experimenting to get to that place with the M9. But of course, there's always a way.

And yeah, I want one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevem8 View Post
    Looks like the line I saw in one of my M8.2's.
    Yes, there's a pattern of sorts. I had a line in my first M8 as well. Leica kept insisting it was a firmware issue, but finally relented and swapped me out of a new one.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Marc and all,

Sandymc has posted an ACR / LR calibration file for the M9 at Chromasoft.

http://chromasoft.googlepages.com/referenceimages

Interested in your feedback.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Yes, there's a pattern of sorts. I had a line in my first M8 as well. Leica kept insisting it was a firmware issue, but finally relented and swapped me out of a new one.
    My God Lloyd you had one in your M8 and now in your M9 thats some bad luck hope they fix it for you quick.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

I will post a few shots tomm. Negative framelines could be a better. Battery seems to drain faster just from being in the camera. Positives seems faster a little quieter to me then an upgraded m8 Nice to have my 35 lux act like a 35 lux again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    My God Lloyd you had one in your M8 and now in your M9 thats some bad luck hope they fix it for you quick.
    Thanks Mike. I am feeling more than a little snake bit. I've actually decided to hold off on the M9 for a while... sort of see how things shake out. I very happy with the M8 (I've had 3), and despite all the love the M9 is getting, and there is much to like about it, I'm not convinced it's as big a leap forward as I'd hoped it would be. Maybe it's just "once bitten, twice shy". But the bottom line for me is that I'm going to wait a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd I am talking to Leica wednesday about your M9 and it's sensor issue, They where reading the thread and spotted it. I got to keep the M9 kit until Wednesday since I can't get to UPS to ship back just got home from a 15 hour day and looking at another tomorrow and even better news I just landed a whole bunch of work tonight, which I left a message on my wife's cell phone . I'm Back. LOL It has been a rough 6 months for a lot of Pro's but things are looking up. Anyway so i shot the whole job with the M9 and I can't show these shots because it is a defense contractor but I shot DNG and Jpegs and have to say the jpegs are much better than I thought possible.

BTW i cleaned my sensor and those streaks went away, looks like it was cleaning fluid

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well i can understand Lloyd quite well. If one does NOT need 18 instead of 10Mp there is really no good reason to upgrade. Yes there are a few nice changes. (Iso button, Expos. comp and so on) However I think we hoped for more. NEW sensor design, new screen and so on. For me that is not that important, because nothing gets worse than Phase one screens ^^. For me the m8 had soon not enough resolution, especially once I got the 1dsmk2 and 3. Now with 18Mp I know I can print 20x30 and even 40x60, like i do with some of my canon stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I really appreciate your report and look forward to following it on. At this time I'm very happy with my M8 and can see no reason to buy a 9. That is, for what I currently do, I'm not sure that an investment of 7K will bring to my work much more than the M8 currently does. I probably would be better served with a Chron or one of the new wides.

In truth, I have become increasingly interested in MF... particularly for landscape but the price of a body and lens set is a real barrier for me. MF would grow my photography and I'm not sure that the M9 would add much for me beyond what the M8 currently delivers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hopefully tomorrow I can get down to the why's on the M9 and give folks some feeling for it. It's a little more than meets the eye although some things are the same one thing I can say it is a lot cleaner than the M8. Looking at a 15 hour day so as soon as I clear my head and get another day of shooting with this, I can put some better perspective on that question. I do have a slight issue with one of my SD cards i just bought PNY brand. I would avoid them but it is corrupted or maybe better said I can't seem to format it. Formatting takes a little bit of time with these cards but my Sandisk 16 gb seems fine. I don't have the latest cards on the market either so I don't really want to throw a Red flag out but will talk to Leica about it in the morning.

If M9 folks can give me any formatting or card issues that would be helpful to report any of that to Leica.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tollie View Post
    .. I have become increasingly interested in MF... particularly for landscape but the price of a body and lens.......
    Todd - Have you tried stitching M8 files? You can soon get way beyond Medium Format pixel count [I realise that's only part of the equation]. You'd be working with a tripod anyway - why not go 'Large' format with your M8? It's amazing what a one lens rig can produce.

.......... Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    But hey! Wait a minute! After doing all the little tweaks which have heretofore been essential in achieving my own version of sweetness, I realized that the files didn't look any better than they did initially in C1!

And I did try a couple B&W conversions and discovered a little of what Marc was referring to. The conversions look more like color shots converted to B&W than the M8. I too have come to accept the M8 files as a pretty decent B&W shooter, especially when coupled with Nik Silver Efex. I think it will take a lot more experimenting to get to that place with the M9. But of course, there's always a way.
    Try applying a different response curve than "Film Standard". Also, try pushing clarity up to around 60 or 80 and see if that helps...

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do have a slight issue with one of my SD cards i just bought PNY brand. I would avoid them but it is corrupted or maybe better said I can't seem to format it. Formatting takes a little bit of time with these cards but my Sandisk 16 gb seems fine. I don't have the latest cards on the market either so I don't really want to throw a Red flag out but will talk to Leica about it in the morning.

If M9 folks can give me any formatting or card issues that would be helpful to report any of that to Leica.
    HI There Guy
    There is an issue with some SD cards (reported elsewhere) Leica are aware and this will be sorted in the next firmware update. Currently the fastest cards seem to be the Sandisk Ultra II cards, although this may also change.

I hope this helps

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono one reason I stay away from reading other reviews is I like finding this stuff out. This way I don't have any bias going in. Yes the ultra II is working fine

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Chris, I am not a part of "we". I love the M8 the way it is, and I had only hoped for no IR problems, more resolution, full frame and improved ISO. The M9 is perfect for my wishes, and I hope to pick one up in the late fall.
    Carsten - Website