Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Leica M9 Review ( The Journey Begins)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica M9 Review ( The Journey Begins)

I thought I'd place these here as a continuation of the question Eleanor brought up regarding focus issues. These were done yesterday with the Summarit 90mm f/2.5 that has a range of 3.5 feet. Windy condition however I think it did okay...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Thanks Don. good to hear from someone not having any focusing issues! I would be focusing with my right eye, which has contact lens correction for looking at my 30 inch computer screen from 22 to 34 inches...close to 20/20 when my eyes are not tired. I have no idea if I will need to purchase a minus diopter for the M9 or not. (think I read that one needs correct vision at 1 meter for the M9 rangefinder).....Wish they had made the M9 diopter correctable like in every other camera I've owned (well except for my mamiya 7 which was also a rangefinder.)
    eleanor
    HI There Eleanor
    Another contact lens person I see.
    Like Don, my focusing (eyes not camera) is not what it once was, when using glasses I use multi-focal lenses (horrid I think). For the last 4 or 5 years I've been using contact lenses all the time.
    for my left eye I use 2.5 dioptre . . this is good from close up to a few feet away - in my right eye I use 1.75, which is spot on for distance (starting at computer screen distance). This means I don't need to mess with dioptre adjustments with the M9, but I can also see the LCD and menus with my left eye. If you haven't tried this solution, then it's definitely worth giving it a go, the only time I find it less than perfect is driving at night.

I must say, I really don't have difficulty focusing the M9.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks Jono and Don. I'm similar to you Jono....right eye at +2.75 (close up) and left eye at +1.75 (distance) I focus with my right eye. Sounds like I may need a minus .5 diopter on the M9. Have to wait and see and wait times on this camera are quite long! Don good to see the center of the flower in focus as I've heard these longer lenses can be tough to get a focus with. Many use the magnifier, or so I've read. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There Eleanor
    Another contact lens person I see.
    Like Don, my focusing (eyes not camera) is not what it once was, when using glasses I use multi-focal lenses (horrid I think). For the last 4 or 5 years I've been using contact lenses all the time.
    for my left eye I use 2.5 dioptre . . this is good from close up to a few feet away - in my right eye I use 1.75, which is spot on for distance (starting at computer screen distance). This means I don't need to mess with dioptre adjustments with the M9, but I can also see the LCD and menus with my left eye. If you haven't tried this solution, then it's definitely worth giving it a go, the only time I find it less than perfect is driving at night.

I must say, I really don't have difficulty focusing the M9.

All the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got Lasik done a couple of months ago, and it changed my life. No more diopters or glasses to deal with!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sadly, I cannot tolerate contact lenses and have a deathly fear of anyone messing with my eyes. My sister had Lasik done and a co-worker buddy-slapped her on the back 2 days after surgery and damaged her eyes (the corneal flaps opened up). Glasses are fine, thanks.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks Jono and Don. I'm similar to you Jono....right eye at +2.75 (close up) and left eye at +1.75 (distance) I focus with my right eye. Sounds like I may need a minus .5 diopter on the M9. Have to wait and see and wait times on this camera are quite long! Don good to see the center of the flower in focus as I've heard these longer lenses can be tough to get a focus with. Many use the magnifier, or so I've read. Eleanor
    Hi Eleanor
    Swap eyes? (I mean contacts ) Then you won't need a diopter at all with the M9. You just swap around the priority, for five minutes if feels like someone has swiped your head with a wok - after that it's fine

Douglas
    I'm afraid you can't do Lasik with old git eyes like mine (at least, not usefully). But the lopsided contacts work really well for me, for everything except driving at night (and over-aggressive air conditioning).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono what distance do I have to have sharp critical vision to focus the M9. I thought it was 1 meter..is that right. if so, then my right (reading eye) would work but 1 meter might be stretching the critical focus capability a bit. I can see well with that eye (with contact lens) up to about 35 inches or so...that's why I said I might need -.5 diopter. am I making sense?? My M9 arrived Tuesday (hopefully!) Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Eleanor
    Swap eyes? (I mean contacts ) Then you won't need a diopter at all with the M9. You just swap around the priority, for five minutes if feels like someone has swiped your head with a wok - after that it's fine

Douglas
    I'm afraid you can't do Lasik with old git eyes like mine (at least, not usefully). But the lopsided contacts work really well for me, for everything except driving at night (and over-aggressive air conditioning).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono what distance do I have to have sharp critical vision to focus the M9. I thought it was 1 meter..is that right. if so, then my right (reading eye) would work but 1 meter might be stretching the critical focus capability a bit. I can see well with that eye (with contact lens) up to about 35 inches or so...that's why I said I might need -.5 diopter. am I making sense?? My M9 arrived Tuesday (hopefully!) Eleanor
    HI Eleanor
    Sorry for the delay in replying.
    You do make sense, but although it'll focus down to a metre, one is usually looking into the distance.
    I have my right eye contact lens correct for distance vision - it's never occurred to me that it's an issue focusing close up with it. That's why I have the close up contact in my left eye, and the distance one in the right.

It works for me!

all the best

Just this guy you know

rwsphotography

I'm a glasses/contacts wearer as well and I haven't had any notable difficulties focusing than my usual old-guy troubles from the MP to the M8 and now the M9. My real frustration was with my Tri-elmar 28-35-50 lens. It works fine on the M8, but I have great difficulty focusing it with the M9. Since I still have my M8 I did a little test. Low and behold, the M8 was spot on the M9 was difficult if not impossible depending on the focal length and the aperture setting. I asked my local Leica dealer if I should send the lens in for adjustment and he told me that this particular Tri-elmar wasn't made for a full-frame sensor - in fact it was made to accommodate film cameras and the M8. I'm not sure I understand the difference in these two (isn't a full frame sensor the same as film?), but my other Tri-elmar works beautifully on both (16-18-21). I'm happy with having the 28-35-50 on the M8, however it seems odd that it has focusing difficulty on the M9.

I will say that the mono contact lenses work for me, but I still have to adjust for birding or anything that needs sharp focus medium to long range (and night driving). There are some new contact lenses on the market now (frequency 55 and Bausch & Lomb) that have the normal correction for medium and long distance along with close-up correction. I'm trying them now and find they work well with the rangefinder focusing, but looking for tack sharpness on the LCD is still a bit of a challenge. Maybe I should try closing one eye or the other....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just for the sake of being thorough, I'll speak up for spectacles. I was less than thrilled when the doc told me my close-up vision was deteriorating because of my (gaak!) age. I didn't want to accept it. So I tried every combo of contact lenses that allow for the corrections needed. Since I was a long time contact lens wearer prior to the degeneration, I thought it would be a snap.

What I didn't count on was that one of the other advancing-age attributes that manifested itself around the same time, was a lot less patience with fussy stuff. Like lens solutions and tiny lens containers and prying my eyelids open and putting fingers on my eyeballs. So I decided to try the progressive-lensed eyeglass approach. Bingo! I put them on and everything just works. I can see through the M8 and focus without even thinking. Menus are perfectly clear. Driving, night or day, is thrilling (as much as you can derive "thrilling" from driving a pickup truck).

Since I work in front of a monitor all day (when I'm working), I invested in a pair of prescription "computer glasses". Essentially designed to be used at the typical eye-to-monitor distance. A great relief on the neck since I don't have to tilt my head back to peer through the bottom of the progressive lenses on my regular specs.

Very happy to be spectacled and highly recommend them to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The virtual distance of the RF patch is 2 meters. The best thing to do is to go to your optician and use his try-out lenses for a closest dioptre match.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rwsphotography View Post
    I'm a glasses/contacts wearer as well and I haven't had any notable difficulties focusing than my usual old-guy troubles from the MP to the M8 and now the M9. My real frustration was with my Tri-elmar 28-35-50 lens. It works fine on the M8, but I have great difficulty focusing it with the M9. Since I still have my M8 I did a little test. Low and behold, the M8 was spot on the M9 was difficult if not impossible depending on the focal length and the aperture setting. I asked my local Leica dealer if I should send the lens in for adjustment and he told me that this particular Tri-elmar wasn't made for a full-frame sensor - in fact it was made to accommodate film cameras and the M8.
    Well, lots of us love the old MATE (28/35/50) with the M9 . . . worth perservering I would think.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rwsphotography View Post
    I'm a glasses/contacts wearer as well and I haven't had any notable difficulties focusing than my usual old-guy troubles from the MP to the M8 and now the M9. My real frustration was with my Tri-elmar 28-35-50 lens. It works fine on the M8, but I have great difficulty focusing it with the M9. Since I still have my M8 I did a little test. Low and behold, the M8 was spot on the M9 was difficult if not impossible depending on the focal length and the aperture setting. I asked my local Leica dealer if I should send the lens in for adjustment and he told me that this particular Tri-elmar wasn't made for a full-frame sensor - in fact it was made to accommodate film cameras and the M8.

If I were you I would send the lens in for adjusting.
    Sorry, that sounds like a load of baloney to me. Not only is a full-frame sensor the same size as film, the M9 is considerably easier to focus than the M8 - as Stefan Daniel told me months before the M9 came to the market. And using the M9 for ten months now only confirmed it. There is no reason why a relatively slow (4.0) relatively wide lens should not be dead easy to focus on the M9, despite a short focus throw.
    As an aside, it was discontinued at the same time the M8 was introduced, so it can hardly be said to be made to accommodate the M8...
    JAAP

rwsphotography

You know, I originally responded to someone on this thread that was trying to decide between contacts and glasses and complaining about wearing reading glasses with the contacts. My opto has given me a solution that works. Thought I'd share it.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't mentioned the MATE lens problem I was having. Yes, I think it was bad information I was given about the lens being ill suited for the M9 - good point with regard to Leica discontinuing the lens about the same time the M8 was produced - not quite, but close. I've since, (that thread has to be at least 2 months old) had the lens examined by a technician and a small screw near the end of the barrel was loose. It performs quite nicely on my M9 now and all is well. Oh, the reason I take so long to respond/read these threads is that I'm busy out shooting my cameras - very little time to spend writing and reading various comments and opinions. I highly recommend it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad to hear it worked out with your MATE. It is a very special lens
    JAAP

rwsphotography

Thanks! I take it from your website that your home base is in the Netherlands. Nice photos! I'm now trying to decide whether I sell my M8 since it sits reluctantly in the bag while the M9 and my others get exercised. I saw that a lot of your photos are caught with the M8. I especially liked the ones using the 135mm. It makes me think that the 135 is a 200 on the M8 - a little more reach when needed... Hmmm, and then there's the infrared photography aspect to the M8 as well. I bought my second M8 (sold the first one) from Brad Husick (he's a member of this site), and it is spot on. No IR/UV problems and always tack sharp with whatever I'm shooting on it. It's a tough choice.

Any advice?
    Last edited by rwsphotography; 4th August 2010 at 10:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't fall for the 135=200 thing The pixel pitch is ithe same on the M8 and M9 - so you can crop a 135 M9 shot down to an identical M8 200 shot. IR is excellent on the M9, we have had some superb examples in this forum. And thank you for the kind words
    JAAP

rwsphotography

You are absolutely correct! When I was testing a 35 Lux on my M9, I took a shot of a lovely flower. Of course the 35 has limited closeup capability, but I cropped the photo and titled it: "See, you CAN do closeups with a 35 Lux." I posted it on the Leica forum site and it got quite a bit of attention. Everyone asked how and I told them it was due to the full size sensor on the M9. Just crop it and you have it!

Thanks for your comments and helping put my mind in the right place. The M8 will be up for sale later this week.

Cheers!