Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Leica M9 Review ( The Journey Begins)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica M9 Review ( The Journey Begins)

Well maybe I should talk of the past before we move on to Leica’s newest breed on RF history. For new readers, who may not know my past with Leica; let me brief you just a little.

I started with Leica gear after much frustration with Canon lenses back in the 1Ds era. Some consider me the grandfather of bolting on Leica and Zeiss lenses on my Canon 1Ds as there was a lack of any decent wide angle Canon lenses. I hung onto this practice for some time moving through the succession of Canon bodies. Using lenses in this way with stop down metering got old and it became obvious that Canon was not going to improve things on my timetable.
    So, by chance I saw a DMR that had just been released and as miraculously I found available body (there were not that many in circulation) to test out. I think it was from David Farkas at Dale labs, but I’ve changed gear pretty often so my memory of all gear comings and goings is a bit limited. Anyway, at that point in time as a Canon shooter my camera bag already included 9 Leica R lenses and just 1 Canon lens (making testing easy). In the process, I realized something was seriously wrong with this picture (no pun intended) and I would be better off using the camera meant to take best advantage of the stellar lenses. So next step, I bought the DMR. I pretty much tested the daylights out of it compared to the Canon, which resulted in a famous thread on a Fred Miranda called the DMR Bible. As you guessed, I simply fell in love with the DMR, sold everything Canon and bought more Leica including additional lenses and backup bodies. The DMR was truly an amazing image maker and as many will attest, even with advances in camera design and sensors sporting way more pixels, it still is an amazing tool.
    Then the M8 emerged and I was intrigued. Being a Pro for 33 years I avoided Leica rangefinders for the longest time. I don’t have an answer for the why. Anyway, in a mad frenzy of buying and selling gear (and for people who have known me for a long time “mad frenzy” is the correct terminology), I bought the M8 the first day it hit the streets. As we all know, the intro to the M8 wasn’t terribly smooth. However, as a working pro, I needed this tool to work for me, right away, without delay. I’m not going into all the details here but in those first few launch months, in a similar fashion to the DMR bible, I was very helpful to users and Leica in solving many of initial M8 launch issues. In that process, I spent time in Germany on a tour visiting the factory, getting to know the key managers, and generally have a great time with a bunch of really nice folks from Leica.

Along the way Jack Flesher, another long time Leica user, and I became friendly and then partners in teaching workshops and owning GetDPI. When we first began our workshops most of the participants shot or were interested in Leica gear and we had the Leica reps join us with a full complement of gear. The tradition of having either a rep or loaner gear sent directly from Leica continues today.

Now the sad part in all of this is I did sell all my M8 gear to fund a medium format Phase One system. As good as the M8 is I had client demands that exceeded the output I could get from the system. I made this decision when the prospects of full frame higher resolution rangefinder were thought to be quite low and a several months before the announcement of the S2, an introduction that surprised everyone. If I had this crystal ball to see what amazing progress Leica would make in such a short time, who knows if I would have made the same decisions. That being said, to date my experience with the Phase system and a few of their digital backs has been outstanding. The files are fantastic with a color and richness that is not surprisingly a big step above the M8. In addition, the dealer support has been stellar.

So, as you can imagine, I was surprised when I got the call earlier this week asking if I wanted to borrow an M9 and put the camera through its paces in some real world working situations. I guess it shouldn’t have been that much of a surprise after leading so many users through their DMR and M8 journey and having used almost all of the currently available M lenses (let’s put it differently there are a lot of happy lens owners that can say “this once belonged to Guy Mancuso”). Tomorrow the camera arrives and perhaps it will be the start of the “M9 bible” -- of course on GetDPI this time. I hope to give users, and others interested, insights into getting the best from the system. Even with the evolution of the M system my business has also changed and the M9 probably isn’t the answer for my professional needs. I do benefit from a high resolution auto focus solution and the Phase systems does that today. So, my sights are really set on also testing out the S2 and comparing it to my Phase system when they are available. I had the opportunity to handle one this spring in Las Vegas. The ergonomics felt great and it was a pleasure to look through the huge bright viewfinder.

Now for those of you who know me and read my daily postings, you know this piece was proofed and spiffed up. Don’t worry once the M9 and hopefully S2 bibles begin you will be back in the world of “Guy’s version of the English language”. Enjoy.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M9 Another Leica Journey (Report)

M9 Fit and Finish Just a FYI . This thread will go offline to reload data and than back online, this way I can keep test data intact. Thanks

One thing Leica has been always known for is the fit and finish of their products. Maybe one main reason many folks gravitate to them and of course the Leica glass. Here we have the M9 which looks very similar to the M8 in appearance. So what I have done in this segment of the report is actually video this section since it's easier to SEE some of the new exterior of the M9 and some of it's highlights over the M8. Now I have to say i don't have a M8 sitting here in front of me so will be going from my memory of using it for about 18 months in a Professional capacity. If you want to spend a few minutes watching this video which for me really helps spending the time not writing about all this and gets me out the door faster to shoot some tests and such. I plan on doing this with the Menu items as well in the next section. Thanks and here is the link. http://gallery.me.com/guymancuso#100459

Just a FYI i know a lot of this was maybe covered on other reviews and blogs and to be perfectly honest I have not but glanced at a one or two of the public ones. I usually don't read many reviews in the first place, since I usually do my own tests. So this will totally be from my prospective and my findings.

Note I might have mentioned the M9 is thicker and that maybe incorrect. Going by some rumor I read.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M9 Menu Items

Well I have to say i did get stumped on a few of these and we will have to look into some of the features that threw me off a little. I never tried the M8.2 and some of the discreet modes I never got a chance to try out in the menu area setups and a few other things that I have to explore. But this pretty much went through most of if not all of the items and we certainly can chat about any of them and figure that out. These videos have not been edited given the time constraints I have for a all day and night shoot tomorrow but Saturday and Sunday I can certainly put more time in . I did run out and actually shoot the darn thing for about 2 hours and I got a couple frames off . No tests but something to look at plus what i did not tell anyone was i am sneaking in the Phase P30+ also to compare just a few things like DR, Color and tonal range. The P30+ is just flat dead on in every area of image file so if the M9 is looking pretty close than things are looking up for Leica.

Here is the link to the menu items http://gallery.me.com/guymancuso#100467

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a couple samples with the M9 and the 24mm Lux more at about F8 and also the Phase P30+ at F9.5 . I did these handheld and really just seeing how they look together at this point. Immediately the color of the M9 is warmer coming into C1 . No sharpening applied except a very very slight base on both files. Defaults as they come in and obviously the M9 files are coming in on the warmer side which is no big deal. Detail they are both loaded with it . The 18mpx M9 is certainly a improvement over the M8 and now you have some elbow room. DR at the moment is hard to tell the edge does go to Phase and I will show you that on Saturday when I can really out everything on tripod and work. Today i was really goofing off a little and just getting acquainted with a RF system again. Feels a little strange being away for so long. Everything shot at base ISO for both ISO 100 for the P30+ and 160 for the M9.

Now let me state I am not trying to compare systems at all . Frankly I would need more than a few days but I am really just seeing how the M9 is coming in relationship to really it's big brother. Same Kodak CCD 6.8 micron size, micro lenses and that really is the closest any back or any camera for that matter will be to the M9. I also unlike the M9 need to lock down that P30+ on a tripod to get the best results which I did not do here. I marked the M9 shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also I noticed no issues with the corners and the 24mm in regards to cyan drift and such. I am going to run a test again on the very far corners with the 24mm even at F8 I am seeing something but I want to be sure with tripod and such. Also immediately noticed the 24mm Lux at 1.4 and 2 about a stop brighter. I am posting several here than jumping to F8 I focused on the wall. But i do want to run this again on tripod to be sure and flat to the very bottom and corner of the frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay this is going live now . I have a shoot all day and night tomorrow so will not be looking in on this too much but I will be shooting the M9 the whole time. I feel pretty comfortable with it now

Couple random shots that I knocked off. Nothing special but the colors look very nice. BTW Leica digital tends to be slightly warm in tone so that is a easy WB trick on the kelvin temp slider. Hope this is helpful so far and Saturday I will get down to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to show how they come in and how I would sharpen it up and it really sings with these type of shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let the games begin.

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great stuff Guy - thanks for posting. Can't wait for my M9!!!
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me too Mike look forward to seeing what you are grtting from it . Hopefully soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My M9 arrives tomorrow, so I will add some of my thoughts and photos to this thread over the next few days as well.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Now for those of you who know me and read my daily postings, you know this piece was proofed and spiffed up. Don’t worry once the M9 and hopefully S2 bibles begin you will be back in the world of “Guy’s version of the English language”. Enjoy.
    I was reading along and started thinking I was on the wrong forum

Great stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know brickwall tests are boring, but could you PLZZZ show me how the corners of the 35 cron look at 5.6, 8 and 11 ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great stuff Guy.
    I think it's worth mentioning that the LFI wide angle reports showed that the 24 'lux was not the king of the wides in corner definition (can't have everything in one lens).

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the more 'normal' lenses. I'm finding the boring old 28 'cron and the 50 'lux asph to be absolutely stellar, more surprisingly the WATE and the little 35 summarit are also excellent.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find all this and all the LUF stuff is re-igniting my interest in RF photography again after over forty years! Well done Guy and Jono, I like to see real images from working photographers rather than any lab report. The M9 would definitely have to be a companion to my Sony A900 though!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I find all this and all the LUF stuff is re-igniting my interest in RF photography again after over forty years! Well done Guy and Jono, I like to see real images from working photographers rather than any lab report. The M9 would definitely have to be a companion to my Sony A900 though!
    HI Dave
    Same for me . . . . I know you asked for a comparison, but I've learned better than to put that kind of stuff up on the internet . . . even my skin isn't that thick!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Neat prologue!

Look forward to reading more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Great stuff Guy.
    I think it's worth mentioning that the LFI wide angle reports showed that the 24 'lux was not the king of the wides in corner definition (can't have everything in one lens).

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the more 'normal' lenses. I'm finding the boring old 28 'cron and the 50 'lux asph to be absolutely stellar, more surprisingly the WATE and the little 35 summarit are also excellent.
    Jono that is my feeling on the 24mm. Great lens but the very far corners might be a bit soft until F11. No surprise my 28mm Mamiya has the same issue. Frankly I would buy the 24mm in a heart beat. I do wish I had the 28 cron and a 50 lux. Kicking myself I did not ask Leica for it. The 35 cron though is very good and will get used a lot. Well off to a full day of shooting with the system. Trying not to like this again. Easy to say but fro a gear slut almost impossible maintain no I could not use it mentality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Dave we are not lab rats and I absolutely agree real images and real big. I can't put this report on LUF because I made the forum software here accept 1900 pixels wide images( advantage of owning the place). Trying to go as big as I can for you folks. On LUF I can't control the size because the limit is 900 pixels. So those folks are just going to come over here and see it. Let them know it is here, maybe some would be interested to see these images this big.

Jono or any other M9 shooter that has a test please feel free to load it up here if you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I know brickwall tests are boring, but could you PLZZZ show me how the corners of the 35 cron look at 5.6, 8 and 11 ?
    I can tell you not even a issue but will test it . The 35 cron is very very sharp

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

First glad you are back at it! No glossy over the strengths and weaknesses. Good choice in comparing to the P30+ as that a good standard ..even if we expect more out of MF. I hope you get an M8 soon because that will be the most recognizable comparison.

Couple of things right off....just suggestions...could you try to match the color a little closer to what you would use? regardless of whether the color is warm or cold out of the camera...most photographers adjust the WB to taste. I find colder images to generally look a little cleaner giving the impression of sharpness. So comparing a warm image to a cold image (which of course could be the lens, the profile etc) makes it difficult.

Generally I think the M9 images are showing some mild IR contamination(of course ..we tend to see what we expect). If i understand it correctly the M9 does not have a menu option that adjusts for IR . Seems like a mistake... if the M9 had a Uv/IR in camera adjustment ..stronger to bring back the cyan corners you could use the lenses with the filters on both cameras(M8,M9).

The noise question is simple....at what ISO do you tend to see compressed shadow detail(loss of DR). This is the key for night photography . You can t always nail the exposure and if underexposing by less than a stop kills the IQ...you don t have enough.
    I went thru a few hundred night images taken with the M8 and the D700 and this was the critical detail.

My first M9 arrives tomorrow!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Generally I think the M9 images are showing some mild IR contamination(of course ..we tend to see what we expect). If i understand it correctly the M9 does not have a menu option that adjusts for IR . Seems like a mistake... if the M9 had a Uv/IR in camera adjustment ..stronger to bring back the cyan corners you could use the lenses with the filters on both cameras(M8,M9).
    HI There Roger
    There is a Leica FAQ about this, and it is something I spent a great deal of time discussing with them (and testing). It's also something that Sean has addressed well in his review, and which Dpreview have some sample shots of.

I did hundreds of shots, and managed to find a couple of things which were real IR emitters. LowPro seem to have the most IR rich materials!

Test results showed that, although some really extreme materials could show a little magenta:
    1. it really didn't affect greens and other colours (as in the M8)
    2. it was always fixable in post by reducing the magenta saturation a little (having said that, I only needed this correction in 1 out of . . .erm 6000 photos)
    3. other cameras (like the A900) which superficially look better in this respect sometimes got wrong colours with these materials too.

I brought up the idea of an IR On setting for the M9 at the time - as you say, it seemed that it might also be useful for people who were using both an M8 and an M9. The conclusion was that it would only work to about 28mm, and that for anything wider it simply wouldn't be possible to correct properly.

If you are doing a product shoot of LowPro camera straps, and you're keeping above 28mm, then there is no problem in putting a filter on anyway (no colour shifts, and it does work).

Both Phil Askey and Sean Reid have done some pretty stern tests on this, and both have decided (as I have FWIW) that it is okay - really a gone to bed issue I think.

On a lighter note, I've been using a LowePro backpack for Crete trips for several years now which was a real culprit, and one I was using to fiddle about with on the M8 (it was the real reason I decided to use filters all the time). This year I notice that it's finally given up the ghost, and in the sunshine the black has actually gone purple!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good stuff Guy. I'll be chiming in from Monday, and the week after that I will be giving the M9 a real workout in its natural habitat: off the beaten track in Africa. I'll come back in this thread with a full field report in November then, but I'll be posting some impressions if and when I find some Internet connection on the way(no images probably).
    Last edited by jaapv; 18th September 2009 at 06:44.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono Thanks for the background information. I did read all the tests reports and looked at the sample images on Sean s website. While they don t substitute for real world experience....they show IR contamination.(IMHO). When you look the shot of the fruit ....you can see going from the M8 to the M9 to the Canon files...the impact of IR. The blacks are not as clean ..they appear compromised by the magenta cast. (unless I am not understanding how IR contamination impacts the blacks). Since we can t change this and the degree is slight..the only useful efforts would be either (filters) or (profiles/firmware etc).

I do understand that the corrections wider than 28MM FOV would be problematic .I was hoping we might have this option but understand that Leica considered it and feels its not workable. I think Sean s recommendation to use the longer lenses on an M8 and the wider ones on M9 makes sense and will have to do until I can get 2 M9 s . This will hurt the user that plans on keeping an M8 to backup the M9 but we can work around it.

Its good to know that Leica has tried to find the right balance ..I expect that refinements in profiles while yield great results once they are established.

Thanks for the insights from the testing..looks like you had a fun summer this year!

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There Roger
    There is a Leica FAQ about this, and it is something I spent a great deal of time discussing with them (and testing). It's also something that Sean has addressed well in his review, and which Dpreview have some sample shots of.

I did hundreds of shots, and managed to find a couple of things which were real IR emitters. LowPro seem to have the most IR rich materials!

Test results showed that, although some really extreme materials could show a little magenta:
    1. it really didn't affect greens and other colours (as in the M8)
    2. it was always fixable in post by reducing the magenta saturation a little (having said that, I only needed this correction in 1 out of . . .erm 6000 photos)
    3. other cameras (like the A900) which superficially look better in this respect sometimes got wrong colours with these materials too.

I brought up the idea of an IR On setting for the M9 at the time - as you say, it seemed that it might also be useful for people who were using both an M8 and an M9. The conclusion was that it would only work to about 28mm, and that for anything wider it simply wouldn't be possible to correct properly.

If you are doing a product shoot of LowPro camera straps, and you're keeping above 28mm, then there is no problem in putting a filter on anyway (no colour shifts, and it does work).

Both Phil Askey and Sean Reid have done some pretty stern tests on this, and both have decided (as I have FWIW) that it is okay - really a gone to bed issue I think.

On a lighter note, I've been using a LowePro backpack for Crete trips for several years now which was a real culprit, and one I was using to fiddle about with on the M8 (it was the real reason I decided to use filters all the time). This year I notice that it's finally given up the ghost, and in the sunshine the black has actually gone purple!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Roger
    Jono Thanks for the background information. I did read all the tests reports and looked at the sample images on Sean s website. While they don t substitute for real world experience....they show IR contamination.(IMHO). When you look the shot of the fruit ....you can see going from the M8 to the M9 to the Canon files...the impact of IR. The blacks are not as clean ..they appear compromised by the magenta cast. (unless I am not understanding how IR contamination impacts the blacks). Since we can t change this and the degree is slight..the only useful efforts would be either (filters) or (profiles/firmware etc).
    Well, I think that there wouldn't have been any IR emission from the dark areas in the fruit shots. So I think you are looking at something different here. Mind you, it IS possible to get some IR effect, but it's rare, and I've ONLY seen it on synthetic black materials.

I do understand that the corrections wider than 28MM FOV would be problematic .I was hoping we might have this option but understand that Leica considered it and feels its not workable.
    I think the point is that it wouldn't work wider than 28, and that it isn't necessary longer than 35 . . .which makes it kind of unnecessary!

I think Sean s recommendation to use the longer lenses on an M8 and the wider ones on M9 makes sense and will have to do until I can get 2 M9 s . This will hurt the user that plans on keeping an M8 to backup the M9 but we can work around it.
    Did Sean say that too (I certainly did) ? Great Minds obviously think alike

Truth is, that when you get your M9, you'll find yourself using it as much as possible. I'm in the same situation as you (M9, M8). I have the 75 'cron on the M8 most of the time with an IR filter . . . this was my setup in Crete, and out of a couple of thousand shots I shot precisely . . . none with the M8!

Its good to know that Leica has tried to find the right balance ..I expect that refinements in profiles while yield great results once they are established.
    I think they've tried really really hard on this one, and they've done a pretty good job - there will be firmware updates, and there are certainly a couple of things I'd like to see done, I was dreading some kind of missed problem (not least as I'd have felt like a fool), but it does seem that they've hit most nails on the head.

Thanks for the insights from the testing..looks like you had a fun summer this year!
    Great fun . . busy though! (still seems a bit busy come to think of it!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple of things right off....just suggestions...could you try to match the color a little closer to what you would use?
    Hi Roger:

Just wanted to let you (and everybody else) know that Guy will be doing a more formal comparison this weekend, shooting brick walls as well as the MacBeth and matching WB on one of the middle gray patches so you can see how the two cameras compare on overall color. Assuming he has the time -- he does need to return the camera LOLOLOL -- he will shoot under both outdoor and indoor lighting.

This thread is designed to be more of a fluid, ongoing M9 document, where we can all share our experiences as well as usage tips and techniques going forward. As with any new camera, there is a lot to learn in extracting the most from it and that usually takes a bit of time and information sharing.

I am excited about the prospect of (possibly) having a loaner M9 on our Oregon workshop to try out myself!

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I am excited about the prospect of (possibly) having a loaner M9 on our Oregon workshop to try out myself!
    Good luck on that one my friend - the only time you will have your hands on the loner M9 is when you are passing it from the Leica Rep's hands into one of ours (the workshop participants)

Post Thanks / Like

Mine will definitely be a companion to the A900.

I love the Sony and the Zeiss glass, but I also own almost all the M glass and was just waiting for a FF M to arrive. And I will pretty soon order one I guess, at least when I feel it is mature and out of child sickness

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

Thanks for this report. I would be very interested to see some b&w portraits if you manage to squeeze that in.

Cheers,
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay quick image dump. I am on a break for another hour. First M9 worked flawless, yes folks I am talking a Digital M. LOL

Without any doubt in the WORLD ISO 800 is brilliant and I am almost going to say that with 1250. I am trying to load these shots as well as yesterday on my Idisk raws for download. I'm working it but this thing is turning me on for this event work. I shot 400 images in 3 hours this morning this is the first 50 shots.
    Read the labels AL means available light. Most flash was 5.6 or 8.I need to cover my arsh also since i am on a gig but i am cheating around a little to get some answers for us. i will get a link for the raws soon here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    Guy,

Thanks for this report. I would be very interested to see some b&w portraits if you manage to squeeze that in.

Cheers,
    I got have some hired models on the golf course coming up soon. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW NO noise reduction . I am zeroed out on luminance and color at 40 in C1. Basically none

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lenses i have for all of this
    24 Lux the newest one
    35 Cron ASPH newest one
    90 summarit
    135 3.4 Apo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Need to know how to give you folks my Idisk Public folder need link info. Yesterdays images are ready

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more coming in spurts sorry but trying to get as much up as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Burning the server is my goal. lOL Just kidding Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I was reading along and started thinking I was on the wrong forum

Great stuff...
    Don't let these guys get on your case, Guy. For someone whose native language is not English, you do just fine!

Having spent a good deal of my growin' up time in the streets of south Philly, I can understand you just fine! Only small differences in dialect exist between your turf and mine.
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a link to my Idisk public folder . I have some Raws up

http://idisk.mac.com/guymancuso-Public?view=web

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    Don't let these guys get on your case, Guy. For someone whose native language is not English, you do just fine!

Having spent a good deal of my growin' up time in the streets of south Philly, I can understand you just fine! Only small differences in dialect exist between your turf and mine.
    33 years of a camera in your face you start to mumble. Must be magnesium alloy disease emitting into our face.

nei1

Guy this is great,why on earth didnt leica give you a pre-launch camera .And the video is worth a thousand words as they say,.......nice,even I can follow the menus etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Neil. I hope maybe the S2 will get in my hands to do the same. I did make a few mistakes in the menu video and I found one this morning. When I can clear my head from today i will just go over them on the forum. Have to say functionally this is a much better machine than the M8. I can get around quickly and don't have to dig in the menu's often. So the Info , ISO and a few other functions really did improve it. As far as the high ISO stuff just from shooting it, I can tell it is much better but certainly will test it. I really wish I had the money , I could really use this for the event work. It really is just about perfect for it. I'm sure Marc will come back from the wedding he has to do this weekend and say the same thing.

Okay back to the golf course , round 2. Check in later

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks for putting all this up- the 1250 looks so much better than the M8, and the 640 too.

which flash are you using for fill? you don't have the new leica flash do you?
    if you do I would be interested in seeing some hssync from it outdoors as fill in sun. or even strobe over day at wide aperture.

another caveat-request- if you do noise tests across ISO's you might want to think about the overall illumination levels- when Sean did his fruits test on his site he used a lowel light, depending on what wattage, it could be very bright. I feel that wrt the M8, it's noise performance dropped as EI dropped all things being equal. IOW, room incandescent levels of exposure where you typically use higher ISO's are tougher than floodlit exposure levels. I don't light my living room with a tota light! Sean's review did not include the actual exposure so I can't really judge just how the noise from the M9 compares to the M8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Guy! Exactly what I needed to see. I shoot a lot of exhibits and trade shows and this helps me see that I can push into ISO1600 comfortably.

Also, that 90summarit looks to be sharp as a tack with nice bokeh. I had and sold the 75 summarit heading into the M9 launch ... thinking that the 90 would be useful on full frame. Looks to be a good decision.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Are those girls going to be your camera caddies?

trying...to...restrain...from...double...entendres ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    why on earth didnt leica give you a pre-launch camera .
    That is exactly what I asked Guy before, I personally couldn't believe they don't/can't realize that Guy could be their Jewel in this industry.

No offense to all beta testers, they've come up with some amazing results (Seal included) and some amazing stories too, but I've failed to see the resemblance of full stretch raw test by anyone else until now.. Reading other test I always end up having a little pressure whether I like it or not, but with these kind of result I feel comfortable to pre-order extra two M9s even though I'm already waiting to receive my first pair of M9s

Guy, your bottle of wine is waiting.. let me know when to send it

PS: I hope Leica realizes (among others) who to send their S2 system this time around
    Last edited by JSK Rangefinder; 18th September 2009 at 12:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got my M9, battery charging and firmware downloading. I'll be able to start contributing some thoughts and shots to this thread over the weekend.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

What a gig! Guy is working, but looks to be makin' the money with Calloway Golf, all the while surrounded by lovely ladies and working on the testing of a new Leica M9.

He's having more fun than a person should be allowed.

I can be there in 2 hours, Guy. Need an assistant? On this caper, I'll work for free.
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey bud, skintones looking a lot better here than on some of the other sites -- good PP work!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    Got my M9, battery charging and firmware downloading. I'll be able to start contributing some thoughts and shots to this thread over the weekend.
    Mike, congrats on your re-entry into M land!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up mine today. Went with a buddy who is a big Leica shooter, M8's and M7's. He wanted to try it and that was it for the afternoon. He burnt through a battery and filled a card with uncompressed raws street shooting in old Montreal. Said it was for testing purposes. I am off for a week in Maine, hopefully I will be able to post from the hotel.