Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ENOUGH! Reviews that use JPEGs are worthless.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ENOUGH! Reviews that use JPEGs are worthless.

Gollleee! People review cameras on the internet? Who'da thunk? ]'-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    BEGIN RANT:
    I have decided that I am sick and tired of seeing "reviews" of new cameras that rely upon and show us only JPEGs done in-camera (worst) or JPEGs that someone processed from RAW using some unknown technique in Lightroom or using defaults in other programs. Unless I know the reviewer personally and I know his/her knowledge of the RAW converter being used, I will assume that any image posted on the web in a so-called "review" is completely worthless and does not reflect the true performance of the camera/lenses. Even those reviews that compare two cameras side-by-side using the same unknown technique are worthless in that they do not show what each camera is truly capable of producing in the right hands. Processing two files, even of the same studio scene, identically from two different cameras in the hopes of showing some difference is lunacy.

Reviewers - do us all a favor: post RAW files (from those cameras that produce them) with the circumstances of the exposure and let us process the images ourselves or send them to people we know and trust to process in the right way with the right tools. Web posted JPEGs are all terrible and tell us nothing.

By all means tell us your opinions and impressions of the camera and its images, but don't try showing us you're right by only looking at and showing us JPEGs.

END RANT.
    You could always rent the camera and do your own research while ignoring the reviews you despise so much.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    You could always rent the camera and do your own research while ignoring the reviews you despise so much.
    That is indeed what I do ...

G

Post Thanks / Like

Any image displayed on a PC monitor will be at 72 dpi.
    There's no way to change that except to use a non-standard display system.

Linking to an image file on a different website makes absolutely no difference.

It has nothing to do with the image file type, or the original image parameters.
    If you display the image in its entirety on the screen, it's 72 dots * the monitor width wide, compressed as needed.

If you want to see an image at its actual resolution, you must display it at the nominal size.
    For example, if you display an image that's 7200 pixels wide on a PC monitor, it will be 100 inches wide.

- Leigh
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    I often do rent them, but many are not available to rent.
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Any image displayed on a PC monitor will be at 72 dpi.
    Hmm ... not quite, Leigh. Display technology today has screen densities available from 60ish to 335ish pixels-per-inch.

That said, I don't really know what your comment has to do with the poor quality of most on-line reviews.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I often do rent them, but many are not available to rent.
    When I'm unsure, I buy from a vendor who offers a 7 to 14 day no-questions-asked return policy. The local brick'n'mortar does 7 days, which makes it easier than working with mail order vendors.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That said, I don't really know what your comment has to do with the poor quality of most on-line reviews.
    The OP is complaining about the fact that JPEGs are used to present images in reviews, when in actuality
    that has absolutely nothing* to do with the quality when viewed on a user's screen.

- Leigh

*Note: Compression will affect quality. I __assume__ that any reviewer would use uncompressed JPEGs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    When I'm unsure, I buy from a vendor who offers a 7 to 14 day no-questions-asked return policy.
    That's unethical.

It's a store, not a rental company.

- Leigh

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    That's unethical.
    It's a store, not a rental company.
    I disagree. It's completely ethical to utilize a service that a vendor offers. If they offer a "customer satisfaction return" policy, I buy something in good faith that I will keep it—I don't buy just to rent it, that would be unethical. But if I don't find it satisfactory, I return it according to the stipulations in th return policy. That is perfectly ethical.

Several vendors have even suggested to me that I use their return policy to determine whether a product fits my needs and desires. They market the return policy as an advantage because that way I can have hands on experience with a product and make my decision from a more informed basis. There's nothing unethical about it. (In fact, the store I bought the M9 from was one of those that suggested I use it or a week or two and return it if it wasn't the right camera for me.)

G

Post Thanks / Like

I hope someone will post something new. I am new in photography and Im still gathering datas about photography but reading reviews that commonly posted by others is a waste of time reading it.