Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phase One IQ180 first look

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One IQ180 first look

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Some artsy fartsy shots with the 28mmD lens.

]
    Guy your need to get some work done on that bathroom rather than spend more $$$K on camera gear,
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Must have eben something Else

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Now look at the crop of the man working. Note first I had to blur his face out in CS because he was totally recognizable and we clearly did not get a signed release.
    Why would you need a release for a photo that is not used for commercial use Jack? Surely this is just editorial, no?

Impressive quality though, wow!
    David Anderson

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    Little change in topic and this is the part that is scaring Jack and I as we both have said to each other we would take this back TODAY even with the prototype warts, and some stuff not fully implemented yet. The LCD UI implementation to us has really shown us how much better the workability of this back is today even without those added features not loaded, like the Artificial Horizon, Live view and focus mask yet to come.

What I just wrote is pretty much the heart of this review for me. We all know much to well this is REAL money we are talking about and we'll all have to pay to get in the door. While it's painful I've already decided I want one, and the next step is working it all into my personal budget.
    Guy, I'm guessing the helmet's not going to help much. As such, I can offer you the spare bunk at my place so you can stay low until "She who must be appeased" has calmed down.....[/QUOTE]

Got home late last night and just getting unpacked and see if I can answer some questions here. I mentioned the cost and the back and got no way Jose. LOL That will change though otherwise a trip to Dubai maybe in order. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Guy your need to get some work done on that bathroom rather than spend more $$$K on camera gear,
    Tell me about it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These look terrific - thanks for posting. f-stop values? Corner crops?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    Jack, the whole reason that Phase has invested so much in the new lenses is that they were aware of what new sensors were in the pipeline, and more importantly, they were aware that Blads lenses are mostly already at their performance limits. As such, the new lenses are in a sense future proofed.
    Claus Molgaard was also at pains to point out that the IQ180 has in fact got extended DR. I neglected to ask him if this was hardware or software driven.
    If you get the chance, run some P40+ or P65+ files through C1Pro 6.1 and that might give us some clues as to whether the DR is software driven.

Cheers,
    The DR is differently there no question and being on the conservative side at least 1/3 but more likely 1/2 no the problem is we did not even bother to pull out the P65 and P40 are you kidding who would want to with that monster. LOL

Anyway since it is in prototype stage and still being tweaked in firmware test like that we are going to wait for a final production unit since a lot could change for the better . Also high ISO shots we did not take like we did not with the prototype of the P65 and same here they tend to wait for the last minute on the high ISO implementation towards the final production version.

The prototype was nice but missing a lot of functions still and power management was not turned on yet as well so we ate batteries like crazy. Now all that will get fixed and run in normal modes soon so Phase will want us to run more tests as things get implemented.

We did give them all the raws we shot as well so they can analyze the files for any anomaly's .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking forward to more tests from with the definitive backs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it will be very interesting to run it at full bore of all it's parts.

One thing i will say and Phase could not comment on any of there road map plans but the company seems financial healthy for one they are pushing the tech envelope and want to grow there business and bring on new product. I find that part very encouraging as a end user. Guess the bottom line is they have real plans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You ask, we try and deliver . Here are corner crops from the power plant shot posted earlier. Again, these were shot at f11 with the 150D lens from about 1/4 mile distant at base ISO of 50. However in the lower corner crops, you can see some elements at much closer distances of around 100 yards. Lower Left, Lower Right and then Upper Right areas:

Here's the original full frame for convenience:

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now here is your noise fix, I shot a few when nobody was looking . Keep in mind this was a prototype back AND it is doubtful the back has been tweaked fully for noise yet. All in all not too shabby if you ask me, but I fully expect the production backs will be even better. I personally feel the PhaseOne engineering team is making a very impressive showing here of their capabilities...:

First the image. This room was in shadow and taken with the 80LS at f11, 1/30th with full and Sensor+ ISO800 frame crops from the Left edge of frame:

Here is the full 80MP frame crop at ISO800 -- this is an 80MP back folks!:

Here is the same area from ISO800 S+ 20MP crop:

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone asked if i shot any handheld well I did not all successful but that was me but i did nail one with the 150 at F4 ISO 50. ISO 50 is not always a normal ISO for me mostly use ISO 100 but no matter I pulled one off but not a work of art actually none of this is. They are test shots. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now here is your noise fix, I shot a few when nobody was looking . Keep in mind this was a prototype back AND it is doubtful the back has been tweaked fully for noise yet. All in all not too shabby if you ask me, but I fully expect the production backs will be even better. I do believe the PhaseOne engineering team is making an impressive showing here with their capabilities:

First the image. This room was in shadow and taken with the 80LS at f11, 1/30th at ISO 800 and S+ 800, crops from the Left edge of frame:

Here is the full 80MP frame at ISO 800 Crop:

Here is the same area from S+ 20MP crop, also ISO800:

Sneaky. Yea looks like Sensor Plus is on target at least

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I lied nailed another one handheld at F4 with the 150

and the Full frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You ask, we try and deliver . Here are corner crops from the power plant shot posted earlier. Again, these were shot at f11 with the 150D lens from about 1/4 mile distant at base ISO of 50. However in the lower corner crops, you can see some elements at much closer distances of around 100 yards. Lower Left, Lower Right and then Upper Right areas:

Here's the original full frame for convenience:

Interesting. The 5.5 micron chip is clearly not oversampling the lens in the center, but is in the corner (this shows most clearly on the upper right where focus is probably not an issue) but I would guess that 100% res on the screen (as opposed to printing on paper) is the only way you would see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It maybe slightly out of focus also as I watched Jack shoot this he was pointed up towards the power plant and maybe focus got thrown slightly at that corner. He certainly was not square to it since we where below it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to run but maybe Jack can show a more squared on image for all the corners

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy is correct. First off, my focus point was the mass of piping center frame. I am facing the plant at a quartering angle and slightly up, so the LH side is closer than the RH side. Moreover, the first stack is probably another 100 yards or so behind the plant and well beyond the actual focus point.

And yes, with 10,328x7,760 pixels at 72DPI screen resolution, these 100% view crops are like sticking our noses in a 9 FOOT tall by 12 FOOT wide (or nearly a 3 meter x 4 meter) print -- !!! Cut that down to a 360 PPI print, and I doubt you'll be worrying about it

PS: This 5.5u sensor is definitely going to push most MF lens designs well beyond their limits. However, I remain totally impressed with how the Phase lenses all held up, even if only in the central 2/3rds area. Still allows us to make good use of those extra pixels.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay I lied nailed another one handheld at F4 with the 150
    I'm quoting myself here but I am going to go on record here and just say it my P40+ cannot get that level of detail at that distance with a crop like that. I could get close but not this kind of detail. I'm floored

Thats like a portrait at 10 ft Full Frame with any 35mm out there

Post Thanks / Like

is it me or...
    it looks extremely sharp, but in term of color rendition, it looks really digital compare to an aptus 22 for exemple... i've feel the same when i was looking to a P65+ file !

in a way, it's not really sensual... it reminds me the old days when i was comparing slides shoot with zeiss lenses versus japanese ones...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would not judge color rendition at this point. The files tend to be red and Phase is still tweaking that along with a multitude of other things. Might be seeing a little bit of jpeg compression as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess we will have to wait for finished versions of the back to see how colour works. The resolution is impressive for those that need it I guess.

The standout 'hook' for me is the user interface - wondering why no Hy6/Afi mount..since Leaf do one...

Post Thanks / Like

>it looks extremely sharp, but in term of color rendition, it looks really digital compare to an aptus 22 for exemple

Is this the back or the software and profiles? Did you try Aptus 22 files in Capture One?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to try some different capture sharpening in the morning. It's at pre-sharpen 1 which works nice on the P 40 but given this 80mpx it maybe too much and looks a touch brittle. So I will play around with some samples and see what we come up with in that regards. One thing of note is the 150 2.8 D lens which I would consider more clinical in look than character like the new 110 LS. Look at this first shot if church very sharp but has a nice look to it. With this sensor we may want to think more critical on lens selection and look your after. This sensor has a load of detail in it so maybe taking this more into account now than we are used to doing today with current backs. So I will try a couple different processing and see if we can tame things down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay going back into C1 I found a slight error on my part and reason this image looked a little brittle I had my Clarity at Plus 8 which would cause this look. So I did several things as you will see in the images and clearly marked. So here is the full image but I do believe a reduced setting in Presharpening 1 is the answer and zero clarity but that maybe personal opinion. So again here is the full image.

Now this was what I originally posted

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As you can see some of the changes to the file . Now given this is a prototype all this can change but it is acting different than my P40+. Just needs less capture sharpening and just need to fine tune to taste. But yes the file can be smoother than what i originally posted.

Now I kind of like this one Pre Sharpening 1 reduced to amount 64 radius .9 and threshold .8 with clarity at -2. Now we should stop right here as well and say we will sharpen much differently sometimes between a landscape and a portrait as we obviously will want less in the portraits. I think we need to remember i am doing this by the 100 percent crop look as well. Obviously lots of variables and we will explore this again on a final production unit

Post Thanks / Like

The reality for me is that with the new 100% review being so darn good, LV becomes more of a framing and composition tool than it is a critical image (p)review tool. In that, it could replace a somewhat expensive VF for a tech camera, and as Guy also mentioned, the other new UI features may have eliminated the need for associated tech-cam hardware like sliding backs, GG's and laser RF's for many tech shooters.
    Jack, first of all, thanks for the answers to my WB and histogram questions!

Given that the UI and the quality of the new screen opens a totally different, and new, way of working with a tech cam, what do you think about the approach to the focus problem taken by the RM3d? I'm wondering if there is still point in the hassle of working with a disto, usinf the arca lens tables, and transferring of the value to the helicoid - if one has an IQ-back.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chris if I may answer with Live view, focus mask and the resolution of the LCD at 100 -400 percent you can flat out throw all that crap out the door. Focusing type may not matter as much given you can go the Polaroid style of shooting in a sense. You can just make adjustments on the fly until you get your final image at least look at it this way you can certainly confirm yourself with the UI. Now Arca focusing most will agree is more accurate so you may not want to give that up or it may not matter as much as you can confirm things much easier now. It's a tough call but for the tech user this thing will rock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    Jack, first of all, thanks for the answers to my WB and histogram questions!

Given that the UI and the quality of the new screen opens a totally different, and new, way of working with a tech cam, what do you think about the approach to the focus problem taken by the RM3d? I'm wondering if there is still point in the hassle of working with a disto, usinf the arca lens tables, and transferring of the value to the helicoid - if one has an IQ-back.

Chris
    Hi Chris:

I think it eliminates the need for a lot of the added hardware we had to have before, but I did not mean to suggest we can throw all caution out the door! I think there is still excellent value in having as many problematic variables out of our way before we begin, and this includes having a focus helical that is properly calibrated. I plan to continue using a dedicated workflow for the added efficiency and consistency it offers. No point in getting sloppy because we have an "instant critical review" LOL! I still want to be able to look at a building, estimate the critical focus point is at xx feet or even laser it if I choose, and then set my focus to where I know it's going to be close on frame one. Now I review, adjust and re-take but only *if necessary*, not because I'll have to. And, I like the idea that I don't need to carry around additional hardware to make a pre-confirmation like I used to to get as close as I could, since I can now make a true post-confirm for 100% certainty instead. Make sense?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reposting these with less sharpening Guy. These new samples tell me more than the first group posted. I think it's important for all users of software to try their own settings for the equipment that they use. The canned profiles, canned sharpening and other features are not always the best starting point. I do appreciate the fact that C1 allows a user to create their own presets for later use.

As far as tech camera focusing with landscape work, it's easier than you think, especially with wide angle lenses. I carry a Leica Disto, but really only use it occasionally to confirm shorter focusing distances. Confirmation of focus with live view on a better LCD will definitely be appreciated, but with experience over time I think you'll go back to working with the helical mount from memory gained from working experience. Especially with a 35mm-47mm wide at F11 or so, you can "set it and forget it" for many landscape scenes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another hand-held shot. We went through an open gate and were shooting in buildings that were literally falling down, and were frankly surprised they weren't condemned and off limits. Then we had this visitor who advised us the gate had been vandalized and should not have been open, the buildings were condemned and we couldn't be there.

I suggested he arrest Kevin Raber immediately and toss him in jail for a few days, that I'd take care of his possessions until he made bail, but it didn't work .

Seriously, he was really great and directed us to another location with similar buildings that had not been condemned yet where we were free to photograph them. (In case there's any question, the "line" is his radio antenna.)

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So.... Guy used the bolt cutters in his trunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't tell anyone but they worked great too. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LonnaTucker View Post
    Thanks for reposting these with less sharpening Guy. These new samples tell me more than the first group posted. I think it's important for all users of software to try their own settings for the equipment that they use. The canned profiles, canned sharpening and other features are not always the best starting point. I do appreciate the fact that C1 allows a user to create their own presets for later use.

As far as tech camera focusing with landscape work, it's easier than you think, especially with wide angle lenses. I carry a Leica Disto, but really only use it occasionally to confirm shorter focusing distances. Confirmation of focus with live view on a better LCD will definitely be appreciated, but with experience over time I think you'll go back to working with the helical mount from memory gained from working experience. Especially with a 35mm-47mm wide at F11 or so, you can "set it and forget it" for many landscape scenes.
    Thanks Lonna and part of it was processing on a laptop which makes it really hard to see what is going on with the files. Now home on my 30 inch NEC i am even more impressed. I am hopelessly falling in love with the whole IQ thing. Damn I thought this would be a year to put money away not spend it. NOT

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another hand-held shot. We went through an open gate and were shooting in buildings that were literally falling down, and were frankly surprised they weren't condemned and off limits. Then we had this visitor who advised us the gate had been vandalized and should not have been open, the buildings were condemned and we couldn't be there.

I suggested he arrest Kevin Raber immediately and toss him in jail for a few days, that I'd take care of his possessions until he made bail, but it didn't work .

Seriously, he was really great and directed us to another location with similar buildings that had not been condemned yet where we were free to photograph them. (In case there's any question, the "line" is his radio antenna.)

Well first Kevin tried to sell him one. Poor guy had no chance but to be nice to us.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

do these IQ backs require wake-up cables when used on a tech camera?

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I can just imagine Kevin's face!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    do these IQ backs require wake-up cables when used on a tech camera?
    No you can go to zero latency so you can use without. Although like the P65 it will eat batteries quicker. Or you can use normal latency and save battery but need wake up cable.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the full 80MP frame crop at ISO800 -- this is an 80MP back folks!:

Pretty impressive, looks close to ISO400 on the P65+ except maybe the darkest area. Probably better if you res'd down to 60MP.

Ronan

Uh, no.
    Hey... one can wish...

Not everyplace lets you walk around with a tripod...

I'v never liked tripods... even though i own a couple good one's (night photography <3).

Could you share some shutter speed with those photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot the police officer handheld at 1/50 at F7 with a 110 ISO 50

Couple Misc shots both with the 110mm lens. Might have to buy this lens , has a nice look to it.Both at F11 around 1/60

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I think we want that back now. Ran out of images to process need to go shoot more. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got this photo from Kevin so thought I would post it as we had a nice dinner together with Kevin Raber from Phase One and Mark Dubovoy from LuLa Thursday night before we headed out for our tests.

Ronan

Thanks Guy

santiago restrepo s

I have a tv producer and work with the RED ONE camera and scratch
    I would buy a 40 IQ phase one
    want to print larger and have the best possible image quality
    I want to tell me honestly if it's worth the investment
    compared with a canon or nikon 24 m
    has more dynamic range?
    has better picture quality?
    or simply need more megapixels?
    thank you very much for your reply
    greetings
    santiago r

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No question about it the Image quality of a MF system will be better over any 35mm system . Bigger is better still holds with digital. I own the P40+ and it is a sweetheart of a back and for most people 40 mpx is enough but all this will come down to what you shoot and how big you print. MF takes special care with technique over 35mm. MF has more DR, IQ and tonal range than anything out there but you will pay a price for it in usability and only you can decide your type of shooting and what will work best for you. They are not typical low light animals without solid support .

This is a question you should start a thread on and describe what type of shooting you will do and folks will help you figure that out if it is right for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey just wanted to add for completeness the full data sheet for all three new backs. You can download here:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. Great info as usual. Love the real world point of view (as usual).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dale -- that's exactly what we try to deliver!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

it seems to me that 80 meg either needs a tripod/monpod or IS built in in the camera/lens combo for reliable hand held operations and knowing that u nailed the shot. these will be an issue for older (not young) people.