Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase One IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

Hey, read your emails --- I'm the one pushing on you to go all the way

And yes, I definitely wish I had the 9900 now -- my 7900 seems sort of puny.

And all of a sudden, my 3yr old Mac Pro seems a little sluggish too...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know love ya bud. LOL

468 mg files. Try loading those up on a cloud
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalcameraman View Post
    This forum continues to provide the photographer with informative, unbiased technical information that allows others to gain valuable experience through your research. Thank You for that guys.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
    Sales Manager, Florida
    Capture Integration
    http://www.captureintegration.com

2010 Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Mamiya, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
    305.350.9900 Miami
    877.217.9870 National
    813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed
    Emphatically +1.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bill and Chris

Jack and I take great pride in these comments. We know this is a big value to a lot of people and we try hard to get the data to our members. Now need to get Jack out there and get some more images to post for us all.

I need to get my bloody hands on one again so I can test some more.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thanks Bill and Chris

Jack and I take great pride in these comments. We know this is a big value to a lot of people and we try hard to get the data to our members. Now need to get Jack out there and get some more images to post for us all.

I need to get my bloody hands on one again so I can test some more.
    Indeed, thank you guys for the kind comments! We try really hard to get the facts out that potential users and real shooters need.

And FTR, Jack definitely wants to get out and take more images to post, was planning on doing just that today, but his entire state is covered in clouds! Keeping fingers crossed for better photo weather tomorrow. Hitting Yosemite next week too!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, I will be there also....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Similar shot to the last one about 2 frames away again at F3.2 with the 110mm. This one we nailed no question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can actually see me in her eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Processing some of these out for our young model here. Came across a pretty decent one at Sensor Plus ISO 1600 with the 210mm at 4.5

1600 is pretty good and certainly given enough light very workable but have not shot it but my bet ISO 800 is the ticket. I'm picky though. Left side is blown some but not going to sweat it here. There was basically very little fill here for balance . Surprised it is this good to be honest

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another Sensor Plus ISO 1600 with 110mm at 6.3 here. Here i put a bit of noise reduction on luminance 25 and color 50

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Hey, read your emails --- I'm the one pushing on you to go all the way

And all of a sudden, my 3yr old Mac Pro seems a little sluggish too...
    Jack and Guy,
    I am sitting here stuck in Bilbao with a pouty-face wishing I was able to get my hands on a back.
    Hopefully I will get my 180 soon since I think I ordered it within two minutes of the announcement
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Not funny Guy! I have a 7900, and it just fits perfectly in the loft where my studio is. A 9900 would require a house upgrade...!

Welcome to The Theory of Constraints.

Dave

Jack you need to upgrade your Epson 7900 to a 9900 now dude. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also want to express my thanks for Jack, Guy, the folks at Capture Integration and others who continue to share valuable information. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Not funny Guy! I have a 7900, and it just fits perfectly in the loft where my studio is. A 9900 would require a house upgrade...!

Welcome to The Theory of Constraints.

Dave
    Morning David . My issue is if i went 9900 I would need a sledge hammer to come with it. My 7900 JUST fits in my office.

I need another HUGE gear sale in this place. This time i really need to rip this place apart. Getting all my pennies ready, this one could hurt. No longer a 4 digit upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cs750 View Post
    I also want to express my thanks for Jack, Guy, the folks at Capture Integration and others who continue to share valuable information. Charles
    Thanks Charles wish you guys would call, write Phase as i need a demo to do more testing for you all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Jack and Guy,
    I am sitting here stuck in Bilbao with a pouty-face wishing I was able to get my hands on a back.
    Hopefully I will get my 180 soon since I think I ordered it within two minutes of the announcement
    -bob
    Fingers crossed I have a feeling this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW last two shots a little tough on color not the back just the location and light was weird. To lazy to fix it this morning. I should have pulled out my quadras for this shoot . So I want to do more with skin tone. The color on the back is very very good so don't be mislead by these.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, you guys did it, putting the final nail in (my) coffin! I just went and emailed my local enabler with my confirmation for an IQ180... not that I needed much pushing, but your reviews, comments and seeing those real world samples did surely help! Business-wise is of course not a completely sound decision, I didn't actually need it, but once in a while we can indulge ourselves, can't we?

Just taking a minute a little more seriously talking on the business side of things: upgrading will not bring more customers in, will not generate & bring in work that I couldn't get with the P65+, will not increase image sales just by itself; however, it will make the workflow easier and more pleasurable (which IMHO is a big plus, given the quirkiness of MF or tech cameras vs regular 35mm cameras' workflow), will make the whole working experience faster, will take some of the hassle off the process. Plus, the wow factor and the cool factor will in fact help with at least a part of the customer base, thus possibly indirectly generate business... and in the end, will make me happier with what I see as the end result, IQ-wise. That was enough for me to decide; cash-wise, of course some thinking had to be done in order to make this work, but once I could figure that out the rest was easy Shooting for me is not only a business, is also a pleasure and this is the part where upgrading made a lot of sense to me...
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Vieri the 40 + actually did bring me more clients and made current ones very very happy. Going to a 60 mpx won't do a damn thing at this point on the client side of the house BUT I am at the point this is all about me anymore. My needs are meet today it is the wants i am after and i want the best in my hands or damn close to it. And truthfully the IQ interface will make my life a lot easier to work.

Okay need to get to my chores so i can get my 5 dollar allowance for the week. ROTFLMAO

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"...in the end, will make me happier..."
    QED

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to select a group of images (like the last 20 that you just shot for instance) and then give them all the same star rating with a single click? If so this would be a great way to identify what lens they were shot with when using a tech camera (35mm would be 1 star, 47mm would be 2 stars, etc.). Or can you only do this one frame at a time?

Post Thanks / Like

Jack and Guy, Thanks for the intial review. It's very informative. I was thinking the P45+ would be with me for a long time, but seeing the added tech on the IQ back makes me wondering if I should make the jump to IQ160 or even the IQ180.

One or two quick questions, I've using the back with Linhof techno and my Hasselblad V camera. I can see how the new back is going to help my work with the Techno. With the Hasselblad, it's manual focus, I already found it quite hard to do anything handheld. I guess the sensor+ technology can help, but ultimately auto focus is going to help me to nail more shots. There is always the question how my collection of glasses are going to hold up for the higher pixel. So, the question is to upgrade with the V mount or get and 645DF to go with the new back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yatlee View Post
    Jack and Guy, Thanks for the intial review. It's very informative. I was thinking the P45+ would be with me for a long time, but seeing the added tech on the IQ back makes me wondering if I should make the jump to IQ160 or even the IQ180.

One or two quick questions, I've using the back with Linhof techno and my Hasselblad V camera. I can see how the new back is going to help my work with the Techno. With the Hasselblad, it's manual focus, I already found it quite hard to do anything handheld. I guess the sensor+ technology can help, but ultimately auto focus is going to help me to nail more shots. There is always the question how my collection of glasses are going to hold up for the higher pixel. So, the question is to upgrade with the V mount or get and 645DF to go with the new back?
    I love the V stuff so please don't get me wrong but they are just not going to cut it in general. Some lenses will do well but after many years of shooting them myself some will just not hold up on these 6 micron and 5.2 micron chips plus slow to focus for sure. I would go directly to the DF and the Phase /Schneider lenses . In the end they will be extremely fast to focus have all the lens corrections for C1 and the quality of the glass IMHO is much better. Also maybe better said i would not buy one of these backs in a mount like a V. I know that maybe brutal on my part. My worry is why risk it when you can get these Schneiders that render so nice and built for the system.

I look at the money outlay here and for me, I'm not taking any risks on it. I want to go in proven that everything will work and look great. Others may have opposing thoughts but seriously we need to break away from the past.

Not to say some of the lenses can't cut it but overall as a system of V glass. I have my worries. In all of the Phase top tier and second tier lenses they all work well.
    Seriously there is NO shame in using Mamiya glass. Most negative comments come from old glass. Not the case anymore or I would not be shooting it. If anything I am a whore on glass quality more than anything else.

And BTW you can take your V lenses with adapter and mount on the DF you know. So not is totally lost on your current glass and can keep some of the cherry ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I posted this in another thread and I think this is spot on myself.

Here it is just follow my lead here you can't miss as these are the top tier.

28d,55ls,80ls,120macro,110ls,150d

Second tier 35d,45d, find good copies
    80d,75-150,300 all very good here

The rest you can find good copies and will work good at F 8

But the best are above and the top tier is what I would go after first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Jack and Guy,
    -bob
    Bob,

Let me just say it is worth the wait! Any remaining doubt will have totally evaporated after about a dozen captures.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    Is it possible to select a group of images (like the last 20 that you just shot for instance) and then give them all the same star rating with a single click? If so this would be a great way to identify what lens they were shot with when using a tech camera (35mm would be 1 star, 47mm would be 2 stars, etc.). Or can you only do this one frame at a time?
    In C1 itself you can sort by a number of data fields, focal length and ISO being just two. Then you can select a group and apply a rating or color code or both to the selected group.

I have never bothered rating from the camera, but I am pretty sure you do it one image at a time as you review each.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

When using a tech camera it is obviously important to know what lens was used - Leaf backs are easy to do this with and I was really disappointed to learn it can't be done the same way with the new IQs so I was hoping the star rating method would work. In order to be easy you would need to be able to select groups of images on the back and do the rating with a single click, otherwise it would be a pain in the butt to do them one at a time. I don't care about rating later in C1, but would then use the ratings that were done on the back to add the lens data to the description field in the metadata - again with a single click per group. I'm hoping this is possible with the new backs. I'm #2 on the list at my dealer so also hoping it won't be long now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yatlee View Post
    So, the question is to upgrade with the V mount or get and 645DF to go with the new back?
    Here's my .02, and worth exactly what you're paying for it: The Hassy V cams are excellent and have excellent glass. But they are old technology and then by definition constrained toward any future advancements. I am willing to bet the tech in the IQ backs is just the tip of the iceberg. I have no actual data, but I also do not doubt that Phase is working on and will release an entirely new camera based on the existing Phase/Mamiya platform. IOW they are continually bringing out new lenses in Mamiya mount, and it stands to reason that any new camera they develop will integrate with those lenses and then existing back interface and mount will allow advanced integration with the camera and probably directly to the lenses through the body. All that is a long way to my saying I think it's time to make the move to a Phase DF camera if for nothing else than future advancements. Finally, your legacy V glass can be used on the DF body via a V to M adapter -- I have one and it works great, so you don't even have to make the transition all at once.

That said, folks can bash the look of the Phase/Mamiya body all they want -- it does look kind of like a "plastic toy" -- but the existing AF is EXCELLENT, the latest D line of lenses are EXCELLENT and however they do it, the QC on the body to back fit and alignment is essentially perfect; sensors are perfectly parallel to lenses and at the proper focal distance; you snap a back and a lens on a body and go shoot.
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    When using a tech camera it is obviously important to know what lens was used - Leaf backs are easy to do this with and I was really disappointed to learn it can't be done the same way with the new IQs so I was hoping the star rating method would work. In order to be easy you would need to be able to select groups of images on the back and do the rating with a single click, otherwise it would be a pain in the butt to do them one at a time. I don't care about rating later in C1, but would then use the ratings that were done on the back to add the lens data to the description field in the metadata - again with a single click per group. I'm hoping this is possible with the new backs. I'm #2 on the list at my dealer so also hoping it won't be long now...
    When I saw your post I, as a tech camera shooter, I went into the manual and looked at process. As, Jack points out I think you do need to do them one at a time. However, two things seem to strike me as being easy in the process.

1. Just tag the first image in a series with the star when ever you change lenses. You can fill in the blanks really fast when you get to C1

2. Scrolling through images and just using the touch screen to add the star on each seems like it would go very quickly on the new back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim you can star rate on the back we just did it the other day but it is one by one as you preview in playback. Not unless when you go into the thumbnails you can do it on the back. I did not try it or look for it.

One thing I WISH they would just take away from ALL these digital cameras is that damn DELETE button and they made it worse by select multiples and than delete. Folks this is the most dangerous mode of operation in the world. DON'T DO IT buy bigger cards. This is so risky in my mind and that one awesome capture you may have working like this could always fall into the gutter on you. Do not use this function on the back. Do it in C1 after you downloaded and backed up. Just some thing in tech that are dangerous to do, I'm old school and I will do this after my images are safe and sound not in the field under the gun trying to save my CF card. Buy more there cheap, if you can't afford it I will buy it for ya. Rant off

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like that will work Terry. I thought I saw somewhere that you could select multiple images to delete at the same time, so it should also be easy to select a group and add a star as well, just like in Bridge or whatever. But tapping the first and last with the same star would work almost as well. I think that will solve my biggest issue with this back on a tech camera vs. a Leaf - unless Leaf makes good on yaya's hint about not having to do an LCC - that would be huge....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    When I saw your post I, as a tech camera shooter, I went into the manual and looked at process. As, Jack points out I think you do need to do them one at a time. However, two things seem to strike me as being easy in the process.

1. Just tag the first image in a series with the star when ever you change lenses. You can fill in the blanks really fast when you get to C1

2. Scrolling through images and just using the touch screen to add the star on each seems like it would go very quickly on the new back.

Actually a good idea star one with a lens and than when switching lenses use a different star rating and just fill in later. That is pretty easy to do in your workflow but yes you can start rate on the back. Be cool if you could do it in thumbnail mode on playback, but not sure it could be done but it really is a firmware function. We should put that on a list somewhere to ask Phase to implement

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim you can star rate on the back we just did it the other day but it is one by one as you preview in playback. Not unless when you go into the thumbnails you can do it on the back. I did not try it or look for it.

One thing I WISH they would just take away from ALL these digital cameras is that damn DELETE button and they made it worse by select multiples and than delete. Folks this is the most dangerous mode of operation in the world. DON'T DO IT buy bigger cards. This is so risky in my mind and that one awesome capture you may have working like this could always fall into the gutter on you. Do not use this function on the back. Do it in C1 after you downloaded and backed up. Just some thing in tech that are dangerous to do, I'm old school and I will do this after my images are safe and sound not in the field under the gun trying to save my CF card. Buy more there cheap, if you can't afford it I will buy it for ya. Rant off
    From everything I've read, it seems all the delete functions make you press a second "button" to confirm that you want to delete. I still don't delete on the back but it does seem like Phase tries to save you from yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know Terry but my rant lives on DO NOT USE THIS FUNCTION. Dont care how often you need to confirm. Its a risk not worth doing just to save space on a CF card. Scares the bejesus out of me. LOL

I have seen so many oops in my life you just don't take risks with your data in the field.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm thinking the composition mode will ease the load. As it is now (tech camera), i may take several versions for focus and exposure, framing, etc, then maybe one or two final shots, adding the hand shot to separate good from bad. mostly just more junk to look at in processing and more download time from card to mac. with the 180, these un-needed files are biggies

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So just another example of the Phase DF's AF capability and hand-holding/high ISO S+ with the IQ180. I was invited to a casual dinner party last night so I took the Phase and left the 55LS mounted. Here is a hand-held ISO 1600 S+ shot, 1/80th at f4. It is dusk outside with normal indoor lighting and as you can see, this image is strongly backlit. All processing was done in C1, cranked highlights up to 55 to recover the sky to 253, added 3 points of black to get global blacks looking good, and then B&W tool at one of my basic settings, and finally a little elliptical vignette to add some character. I focused on the wine glass since that was the only thing not moving ( ), recomposed and snapped when it looked right:

Crop:

I am loving this system more and more every hour I use it...

Here's a shot of the host taken in a dimly lit side room with one overhead light on. It is also heavily cropped to maybe 1/6th the total S+ frame as I did not want to get too close in to his face with the 55 so as to avoid perspective distortion. The downside of that crop is the relative noise signature is magnified by about 6x of that off what a normal S+ frame would be, and this was S+ ISO 3200 processed with no added NR, so you can definitely see it! IMHO while heavy, it sort of works for this kind of low light "reportage" style image -- 1/45th at f4, ISO 3200. For you film shooters, it is reminiscent of 35mm Tri-X pushed to 800, isn't it?:

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I am loving this system more and more every hour I use it...
    Thank you for the samples Jack - I am happier & happier I went and ordered one! now I just gotta be patient, wait for it to come and put those Ski Masks to a good use!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack - When you get a chance would you try and print a higher ISO sensor plus shot/or crop at full resolution to see how well they print up?

Now that I traded in my DF body to pay for the dang upgrade you will have me buying something back. Although it may be the next iteration of Phase body.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    I'm thinking the composition mode will ease the load. As it is now (tech camera), i may take several versions for focus and exposure, framing, etc, then maybe one or two final shots, adding the hand shot to separate good from bad. mostly just more junk to look at in processing and more download time from card to mac. with the 180, these un-needed files are biggies
    I agree for technical camera use this will be helpful. I end up with a bunch of images that I have to weed through in C1 that were simply exposure setting/composition adjustments. I'd love to be able to mark the beginning / end of an image sequence with something other than the hand shot too.

I foresee a 'features we wish we could add in firmware' thread coming on ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack - When you get a chance would you try and print a higher ISO sensor plus shot/or crop at full resolution to see how well they print up?

Now that I traded in my DF body to pay for the dang upgrade you will have me buying something back. Although it may be the next iteration of Phase body.

LOLOL! I am pretty sure that was me yelling at you, "Don't sell off your DF body and lenses just yet!" . Moreover, you had a pretty outstanding low-mileage set

I will print some full frame ISO 3200 and 1600 S+ tomorrow and report in.

Dang, looking at the indoor images from last night, I may just sell off my entire GH2 kit!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm just going to pretend I did not see this.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've got the 9900, but no chance to get the IQ180...
    Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not a nativ English speaker...and still learning=)
    the financial pain of photography is understood in any language!
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That said, folks can bash the look of the Phase/Mamiya body all they want -- it does look kind of like a "plastic toy" -- but the existing AF is EXCELLENT, the latest D line of lenses are EXCELLENT and however they do it, the QC on the body to back fit and alignment is essentially perfect; sensors are perfectly parallel to lenses and at the proper focal distance; you snap a back and a lens on a body and go shoot.

I agree, Jack. I was an early adopter of the DF and although it had some annoying early quirks, especially in MU mode, the last firmware upgrade corrected them and I've had nothing but 100% reliable performance ever since. Yeah, it doesn't have the classy look and finish of the 'Blad, but it does get the job done. And the Schneider/Mamiya D lenses are as good as they get.

I'm waiting for that 240 mm LF lens and a possible camera firmware upgrade to add to the delay between the FP shutter closing and the leaf shutter operating in mirror-up mode. Presently Phase have built in a half-second delay to allow FP shutter vibrations to subside before exposure but I don't think it's enough. I suggested to the chief engineer that they might lengthen this delay or even make it variable by the user. I got no commitment but Phase has a fine history of listening to their customers and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this happen.

IMHO there will be a new Phase camera...but it'll be while yet. I doubt it will be a DF Mark 2 but rather a new-from-the-ground-up model. Please note this is my opinion and not a quote from Phase...

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy and Jack! I will work slowely toward that list of your top tier recommendation. I guess I can also find out how my Hassy lens will do with a 654DF adaptor. Many thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I am re-assimilated. This is torture and there's only one way out. I'm in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Ok, I am re-assimilated. This is torture and there's only one way out. I'm in.
    Welcome back to the party, Tim! Jump in, the water - although not exactly inexpensive - is warm!
    Vieri Bottazzini

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Welcome back to the party, Tim! Jump in, the water - although not exactly inexpensive - is warm!
    I just hope the emporer is wearing his bathing suit ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I just hope the emporer is wearing his bathing suit ;-)
    If not you are always welcome at SF's Bay to Breakers Race - run earlier this AM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...357779498.html

Post Thanks / Like

Lovesya Terry but if you think I'm running 7.5 miles naked and drunk with a full phase one kit, you only half know me :-)