Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Phase One IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    Dear Jack

Sorry to hark back to your original images (we've been abroad for a few weeks) but I have a question on the 100% crops. In the crown moulding (blue) and in the brass of the clock there seems to be b lotchiness. I assume this is jpg artifacts due to the colors being close and thus creating a KIND of noise? It could also be due to the pulling at 35 ISO, but just wondered what the processed tiffs showed.

What's incredible is the DR of the sign in the cab of the middle picture. This is clearly an improvement over the P+ backs.

Anyway nice review...just the thing to make me ask WHERE"S MY IQ180 ("C" mount

Victor
    Victor:

The blotchiness could be jpeg artifacts or NR artifacts -- it's pretty subtle for an ISO 1600 shot I think, and only in the oof area even toned field anyway. So even if it's a NR artifact, I am not bothered by it. I did print up ISO 1600 and 3200 shots and they look very, very good to my eyes.

Oh, and a little bird told me that somebody's C mount IQ180 may be on it's way very, very soon!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Victor:

The blotchiness could be jpeg artifacts or NR artifacts -- it's pretty subtle for an ISO 1600 shot I think, and only in the oof area even toned field anyway. So even if it's a NR artifact, I am not bothered by it. I did print up ISO 1600 and 3200 shots and they look very, very good to my eyes.

Oh, and a little bird told me that somebody's C mount IQ180 may be on it's way very, very soon!
    Dear Jack

I hope you are right, but Lance says they are behind the H and V mounts. (Dave I guess is doing the best he can to get a C, as I am first on his list. We will see!)

I am surprised, as Hasselblad is a competitor and the Contax people are Phase PHRIENDS!!

I do hope thye Phase people read this. A certain amount of "charity begins at home" is fine, but in the past Contax mounts came thru pretty fast. This time, who knows, but sounds like worth the wait.

I am also anxious to try the Alpa with Schneiders. Your tests were instructive, more to do the LCC right and not to be so down on the lenses. As you point out the low distortion, and non retro sharpness may be worth the trouble. The absolute best shots I have had (from a technical POV, that is ) were with the 35xl and phase back

all the best
    Victor