Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase One IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase One IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

So what do I think of the real production unit? Let me first deal with a few of the obvious considerations I went through before upgrading from my P65+. First is did I want to spend the coin for the upgrade? Heck no!!! Am I glad I spent for the upgrade? Well...

-- Resolution detail.

It's impressive, but we pretty much covered that in our original review (see here for that: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23200) so no surprises. Even after our preliminary review showed it, I've had a few questions as to whether the lenses are up to the sensor. I can reaffirm for you that they are. I'll add that even marginal lenses can hold up quite well. Here is a shot with the worst lens in my bag, a non-D version of the 35mm AF, but a decent enough copy of it. This is not a great shot and the light was terrible for the subject (backlit), but it shows how the new IQ180 might deal with some of your legacy glass. 1/40th at f12, ISO 35, shadows pushed about 1 stop in C1:

And a center crop. Clearly not the greatest lens, clearly not anywhere near the class of high-resolution tech camera lenses, but I think this would hold up pretty well in even a large print:

-- Color.

While color is a very subjective thing, I say here without hesitation in one word, the color is phenomenal -- at least out of C1! The passport is spot on and very neutral. Daylight comes in at 4998/0.0 which is where it should be. From a personal point, I like a slightly warmer tone to daylight so have saved my basic C1 Style at 5080/0.8. The two main profiles I use are Flash and Outdoor Daylight. Historically, Phase's OD is a larger space with more saturated blues and greens than Flash, and while I have not examined them, it seems to be holding to that convention here. My OD style did not need any saturation boost, whereas if I wanted to use Flash for outdoors, I would bump sat maybe 4 points. I'll let the color geeks research the camera profiles more fully -- what I know is I like the color coming straight off the back a lot!

I've been asked if the color is smoother than the P65+. For those not aware, one of the main reasons I upgraded to the P65+ from the P45+ was its smoother rendering of color -- a common term several of us used to describe it was "more film-like." I am not going to claim (yet) that the IQ180 is smoother still, but it may well be. What I will say about it is it certainly is not any less so.

-- Dynamic Range and shadow detail.

So here is a wart for the super critical out there: If you over-sharpen and add clarity to an ISO 35 file and peer deep into the lowest levels of the image with your monitor brightness cranked up, you can get visible shadow NOISE from the IQ180! But you also get (usable) image detail in those shadows where my P65+ would have only given me black!

Full image:

Here's the crop -- if you look deep into the shadows you can see some noise -- this comes from a clarity bump and sharpening bump over my normal C1 settings while retaining my normally low NR settings. If you crank the brightness up on your display (or push the raw file in C1), you can read the sign on the inside wall in the deepest shadow between the fence rails. At normal monitor brightness (around 140 lumens) we only have a hint the sign is even there:

To save you all the trouble of adjusting your monitor, here is a similar crop from the same file reprocessed in C1 with exposure bumped to C1's 2.5 stop max, but without the added clarity and sharpening. Note the noise is there, but for all intents and purposes it is trivial even at this extreme shadow push:

To say I am amazed at the data I can pull out of the shadows is an understatement. So while it's very, very nice -- like the best I've ever seen nice -- I am not fully convinced. Yet...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: PhaseOne IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

Did I need the added resolution? No. Did I want the added resolution? Not really.

But now that I have it, it's really nice. What is especially nice for me and my uses came as a total surprise --- 20MP of Sensor+ capability. I offed my full-frame DSLR's over a year ago and most of my hand-held, walk-around shooting is done with a Panasonic GH2 kit. I never considered my Phase a viable "walking around" camera simply due to size and slowness of use coupled with the fact that hand-holding is hard on ultra-high resolution! Higher ISO's certainly help, but a lot of the time effective ones are too noisy to be worth using. So when the back arrived I slapped it on my body and figured I'd give it a few quick tests hand-held, so higher ISO's and Sensor Plus were the order of the day. Here are a few images then the crops -- Note that these are HAND HELD, Phase DF body with 80mm LS lens:

First is a simple pepper plant that had hold-overs from last year. This is the 80LS at f4, 1/100th and full-frame ISO 400. I left my C1 NR settings at my normals for base ISO, and you can see a bit of color noise in the crop. Ideally I should probably process it pushing Color NR up to around 30, but I decided to leave it as-is for a more extreme example to share:

Here is the crop. Since this crop was the pepper I was AF-ing on, I was pleased with the result. And it took me a sec to figure out those white specs: we had some painting done a month ago and the painters set up a spray area for the cabinet doors about 20 yards from this plant --- the specs are overspray from that:

So how did the higher ISOs with S+ work? Let's just say I am satisfied to the point of being impressed. We do have an improvement over the P65+, at least from my perspective. Here is an indoor shot that is dimmer than it appears in the image, it is evening out and no inside lights are on, so this is lit by North-facing windows and a few small skylights. This time 1/125th at f4, ISO 1600 S+. I did crop and slightly rotate the base image in C1, so it is a touch smaller than full frame, but of course the crop is at 100% pixel view:

Crop. C1 settings for noise were 25 L and 40 C:

In my opinion, that is pushing up pretty well on DSLR territory for high-ISO noise. Bottom line is I am now looking forward to using my "big camera" more in hand-held and walk-around situations. So I am a little more convinced. And yes, I can feel the heat of Dante's Inferno from here!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did I need the new tech? No -- but if I shot with a tech camera, I would consider it a must-have. Did I want the new tech? Uh, heck yes!

And I didn't realize how much I wanted it until I had it! Saying I didn't need the tech on this new back is like saying I didn't need a histogram or saying I don't need my iPhone because I have a 12-button desk phone -- it is a correct statement, but this new tech makes life really, really easy. Bottom line is it allows you to get the technical aspects of image making out of your way quickly so you can focus on the art part -- and it can even help on the art part!

And the LCD is so big and bright and beautiful.

A quick double-tap and you can check focus:

Note that my shots of the back above and below are not the greatest, and the slight blur above is not the IQ180's image -- it is sharp -- but rather the fault is from my hand-holding my GH2 at slow shutter speeds for these snaps of the screen on my back.

On any main menu screen, if you click the little icon in the lower RH corner you get a set of context menus. Here is the the set from inside the "play" menu. From this, any of the icons with an arrow in the upper RH corner means there are settings available if you press and hold that button. In this case you can see the gridline icon and trash/rating buttons have additional features and settings available:

Next feature is if you press and hold any of the sidebar icons, you get into their settings. Here is an example showing the histogram. Note the arrows above an below are for moving this icon to the position in the sidebar menu you want it in:

Let's go to the "play" screen, this one with the highlight warning on. The red area flashes showing you portions of the image where any channel has a value above what you set. In my case I have 250 set as my threshold, and the blue channel in this image is above that so it is flashing red:

Here is another example, but this time with the focus mask in green. My typical threshold settings are between 30 and 40 and I have sort of settled on 35 as my current indicator. You can see the "green" confirmation zone extends from the foreground into the background informing me I have good depth of focus in the image. Note that if I set my threshold to 30 I see a more green and if I set it to 40 I see less:

One thing I like very much is the highlight warning shows inside the button even when you have it turned off for the main viewing screen -- this works for me because I do not like stuff disrupting the view in main composition screen. And by the way, you can set the warnings to flash or remain steady in the button or screen at your choice. Unfortunately, the focus mask does not work similarly -- you need to turn it on, then it becomes active both inside the button and the main screen. I am sending a request in to get that in the next firmware revision if possible.

Note I also had the gridlines turned on, and these are set to standard 3x3. You can custom make just about arrangement of vertical and horizontal lines you want or use the pre-packaged set which includes a Golden Mean grid and Fibonacci Spiral option. You can alter the style and color of the lines as well. In short, very customizable.

Here is the Fibonacci spiral -- note I did not use it when I shot the image, and was surprised when I saw it fit this image pretty well -- obviously had I been using it, I would have made some minor modifications to the composition -- I'll definitely be investigating the use of this "artistic aid" tool further:

Finally and wait for it -- if you press the sidebar histo button it goes to full screen. Hows this for a nice, big, easy to read histo? I know, I know, it's about friggin time!

Oh, and before I forget, battery life is better than I expected -- appears to be 4 or 5 hours of continuous use which is impressive to me considering all the chimping and investigating I've been doing on the big, beautiful and glorious LCD!

Yeah, I've fallen in and can't get out... Pick your own adjectives, but this back is awesome, phenomenal and amazing. Do whatever you need to do to get in line. And for everybody who already is in line, you are sure to be extremely happy with your decision!
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,
    Have you needed to adjust anything in your C1 settings or workflow?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack

Thanks for including the detailed screen shots. These really help in showing the utility of the new tech features.

One thing I noticed was that Phase One stayed with the regular linear exposure histogram with equal empahsis on shadows, mid tones and highlights. I'm surprised that they haven't yet considered a histogram view that expands the shadow/highlight areas to make it easier to dial in exposure to the right or gauging shadow cut off - I know that I normally don't care too much about the position mid tones too much so long as I'm not clipping.

The focus mask looks like a winner although I'd be interested in seeing how well it does with low contrast images.

Nice review!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jack,
    Have you needed to adjust anything in your C1 settings or workflow?
    Not significantly. I did create a revised "Style" for the IQ180, choosing it's OD profile and slightly warmer starting WB of 5080/0.8. For right now my base sharpening and noise reduction settings for the P65+ -- which are very slight to begin with -- seem very good on the IQ180 too.

PS: So I understand you got to play with one a little earlier today -- what did you think of it?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Jack
    snip

I'm surprised that they haven't yet considered a histogram view that expands the shadow/highlight areas to make it easier to dial in exposure to the right or gauging shadow cut off - I know that I normally don't care too much about the position mid tones too much so long as I'm not clipping.

Nice review!
    Thanks Graham,

Yes indeed, a big histo where we could truncate the central 60% to a thin line and have the bottom and top 20% at an expanded view scale would be very, very sweet.
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post

PS: So I understand you got to play with one a little earlier today -- what did you think of it?

I posted that in another thread. Bottom line....very happy. Happy that I decided to upgrade early in the process and that I'm close to the top of the list. Focus mask is transformational for untethered tech shooters especially those that like to use tilt and swing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll go out on a thin limb and say that focus mask itself eliminates the concern of "shimming" tech cameras for precise focus. They'll still need to be square and parallel, but the gains from shimming are somewhat neutered. Also, while I like the Arca fine focus, it may be obviated somewhat with the new focus mask -- quicker focus racks may be accurate enough with the mask and review capabilities. Heck, older view or tech cameras should work adequately well now having these tools for confirmation! Possibilities expand
    Jack

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wanted to add my impressions here as well as we can keep this all in one thread.

Short story Dave Gallagher and Doug Peterson from Capture Integration came into Phoenix for C1 tech training and brought there IQ 180 demo which pretty much never got out of my slimy fingers the whole time. But we did get to have some fun and give this a go. I did hire a model for us and we did get some decent shooting in. Little hard under the gun with a brand new piece of technology to deal with but we got some images in various conditions. So I am going to post from another thread over to here to fill in the gaps of Jacks great review he started.

here we go!!!!!!!

Check this out Sensor Plus ISO 1600 at 4.5 heavily backlit with fill reflector that was barely working this is with a 210mm that I just bought from Dave it seems now. I bought his demo since this lens is really nice. I don't take chances if a lens I test is good than it's mine. LOL

This is pretty much at default I did work on exposure but not noise and will get into this more. But Dave, Doug and I did everything we could do to make this fail and everything looks like it held up to our cruelty . Makes no sense to make pretty pictures under ideal conditions when your testing. I always try to make these things fail because you just never know what soup you are in. Now Doug and I will be doing a lot of post both here and on Capture Integration site on his review as well . But I know i can make this file even better but that is not what I want to show right now. I want more or less whats coming off the sensor. This is damn good given it is heavily backlit.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Notice no blooming no CA nothing bad. Lots more to come, BTW this is a F4 lens that is NOT highly rated either by many. Every lens I shot with the 180 so far has actually held up. Surprises me
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay a 80 mpx shot . Not sure i totally nailed focus but it is damn close. Shot with the 110mm LS at F5.6 which is fairly wide open ISO 100 at 1/160.

Only White Balance here . Let it go on DR and look how well it handled the bright sun in background with just some reflector light and the shadows are wide open. This thing has some serious DR going on.

100 percent crop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the ISO 1600 file in Sensor Plus

Default Crop

Noise reduction and i maybe able to get better Luminance 30 color 55 single pixel 2 surface 27

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a quote from Veri

Thanks a lot Guy, that is pretty impressive indeed for a ISO 1600 20 MP image - one more question, besides the specs which I know, how fast does the IQ180 feel in Sensor Plus mode as far as shot-to-shot times go? I mean, do you ever feel like it leaves you waiting? I shoot a lot of concerts in very low light, and while ISO 1600 would do the trick (barely with f4 lenses, better with f2.8 glass) I also need some shot-to-shot speed & fast enough AF (but this I can live without, I often use old Nikkors in MF without any problem)... thanks!

portfolios: www.madshutter.com, extended galleries: www.pbase.com/vieripbase

No not in sensor plus feels pretty good on speed, go as fast as the DF goes. The Df is very good with AF in low light. The 150 D 2.8 would be a excellent lens and don't forget the 300 4.5 which is very very good wide open. I'm actually surprised by the 210 F4 wide open. Reason I am keeping Daves demo unit is I got a nice shot wide open with it. I need to test it more but for 500/600 bucks I'm impressed. Honestly if i push myself to the 160 the sony's are toast. 15 mpx sensor plus would be perfect for me and the 180 with 20mpx looks to be a bonus.

In all honesty the IQ 180 is amazing but maybe too much for me with my work and setup. But it is the better deal for the P65+ users to upgrade and frankly they should go straight for it. Silly not too. I'm just trying to get to the 160 which i maybe able to pull off with a miracle. LOL

It is really what I want and completely solves my issues. I may have to wait a bit but that is okay. One time for me to be smart and wait it out. Can't believe the gear slut just said that. Need more espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing we did find last night in the menus was a eyepicker tool on the back so you can custom WB on the fly, just move around to pick your area to WB off of. Now that was a find to say the least. Not sure that was posted anywhere and one other REALLY cool feature Doug picked up on. While shooting a long exposure during the dark frame you can actually go in and preview the image at 100 percent. So basically you have a 1 minute shot you do not have to wait 2 minutes to view it just after the initial exposure and you can see what you did. This is very nice feature as you can already plan any adjustments you may need for the next shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have more images to process and post and will get to them soon. Life is getting in the way of fun. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is pretty interesting. I was actually testing the 210 F4 lens here and I was at F4 wide open and was shot handheld and proved to me this was a good lens but more important I shot this at ISO 35 and was a stop underexposed and there is no true black in this frame not a thing that is clipped on the low side. I can see all the detail in all the shadow areas and no highlights clipped either. That is some serious DR folks. This would have clipped with anything else out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just in case you where wondering its not to bad for handheld

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Now that was a find to say the least. Not sure that was posted anywhere and one other REALLY cool feature Doug picked up on. While shooting a long exposure during the dark frame you can actually go in and preview the image at 100 percent. So basically you have a 1 minute shot you do not have to wait 2 minutes to view it just after the initial exposure and you can see what you did. This is very nice feature as you can already plan any adjustments you may need for the next shot.
    Minor correction here: when you start a 2 minute exposure (or any other long exposure) the user interface is still active/available and you can review images. However, since you'd be insane to be touching/grouping around on the camera during the exposure it's kind of a moot point. But after the 2 minute exposure is done and the back is doing it's black frame the fact the user interface is still available means you can go back and review/edit/tag previous images. The image you're shooting at-that-moment is not available to review until AFTER the black frame is complete.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One IQ180 Initial Review and Impressions (With pics!)

Also quick note to anyone who has or gets to play with any Sensor+ files from the IQ180: the noise reduction in 6.2 is much better than 6.1.1 for ISO3200 and ISO3200 files that are being pushed. Specifically the reduction of single red pixels using the sing-pixel noise slider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Minor correction here: when you start a 2 minute exposure (or any other long exposure) the user interface is still active/available and you can review images. However, since you'd be insane to be touching/grouping around on the camera during the exposure it's kind of a moot point. But after the 2 minute exposure is done and the back is doing it's black frame the fact the user interface is still available means you can go back and review/edit/tag previous images. The image you're shooting at-that-moment is not available to review until AFTER the black frame is complete.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
    Maybe I twisted my meaning there. LOL Thanks Doug

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great info here, thanks to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Jack, Guy & Doug for the great infos into what more and more looks like a huge step forward in DB technology! now that you done and almost convinced me to go and shell out for it, you are welcome to send either ~10euro-K (cash would do) or a full-time marriage counselor...
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just started a new knitting class for all GetDPI members for free to make there custom Ski masks. We meet on Sunday's to knit and pray we don't get caught.

BTW the Chase bank down the street does not know me. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I just started a new knitting class for all GetDPI members for free to make there custom Ski masks. We meet on Sunday's to knit and pray we don't get caught.

BTW the Chase bank down the street does not know me. LOL
    Is it open to online attendants as well?
    Vieri Bottazzini
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, please buy the IQ160 and not the IQ140 so I can buy it from you when you are ready for your next upgrade! The new screen would really be helpful. I focus-bracket so much now just to be sure - zooming to check focus is no picnic on the old backs and time consuming. The focus mask looks wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Is it open to online attendants as well?
    Sure they take euro clients. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Guy, please buy the IQ160 and not the IQ140 so I can buy it from you when you are ready for your next upgrade! The new screen would really be helpful. I focus-bracket so much now just to be sure - zooming to check focus is no picnic on the old backs and time consuming. The focus mask looks wonderful.
    Charlie the focus mask screams I got it. You need to go see one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more image with a short story, then off to a cocktail. I mentioned the new tech getting out of your way to creating images. When shooting the grafitti buildings near the train track, I was on the pod, had MLU and self-timer set and was shooting ISO 35 stopped down for DoF. Then I heard it, a train coming fast. Crap and here I am with a new back and sluggish MF cam. I whipped off MLU and self timer while running with my pod to this position, quickly framed and AF'd on the tracks mid frame and saw my exposure was 1/25th at f12. Crap. But now just a quick flip of the aperture wheel to f9 and two taps on the rear LCD and I had ISO 100 for 1/200th at f9. I had a good 8 seconds to spare to watch the viewfinder and grab this image.

No, the composition is not stellar, but it could have been better if it had been a grungy old freight train instead of an ugly commuter. But I think the story will be familiar to many -- how many times have we missed a moment because of unfamiliarity with new gear? I know I have, but this time I was familiar with the camera and the new back was so intuitive to use it got out of my way and let me focus on the image.

And yes, I took some processing liberties to dress it up. I also will admit I had the 55 LS on and it was a tad short for this composition, so I cropped to about what the P40+ frame would be --- and I still have about a 54MP file!!!

Okay, Friday martini time -- enjoy your weekend!
    Jack

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Warning! Do NOT look at these docs: http://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMa...anuals_DB.aspx
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Jack and Guy:

Thanks you both for a very informative recap of your impressions on the release Phase One IQ180 Digital camera back. I really like Jack's approach in showing how is is using some the new features to help him make better captures.

That Focus mask rocks. I found it amazing that when I shot 10 images on a DF 645 with 110 lens with that same IQ180 Guy was using this week, I focused them manual at different depths. And when you understand how to use the focus mask, you see the focus change in each shot. It is very reliable. And I think it will aid all users, not just tech and view camera users.

I was at Snaps in Orlando last weekend and I had a fashion photographer shooting tethered with the IQ180 and I turned the focus mask on and she was able to see how to selectively focus with a Cambo X2 with a 180mm RZ lens attached. She could see that on the monitor 6-8 feet away and make adjustments on the fly.

This forum continues to provide the photographer with informative, unbiased technical information that allows others to gain valuable experience through your research. Thank You for that guys.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
    Sales Manager, Florida
    Capture Integration
    http://www.captureintegration.com

2010 Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Mamiya, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
    305.350.9900 Miami
    877.217.9870 National
    813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    One more image with a short story, then off to a cocktail. I mentioned the new tech getting out of your way to creating images. When shooting the grafitti buildings near the train track, I was on the pod, had MLU and self-timer set and was shooting ISO 35 stopped down for DoF. Then I heard it, a train coming fast. Crap and here I am with a new back and sluggish MF cam. I whipped off MLU and self timer while running with my pod to this position, quickly framed and AF'd on the tracks mid frame and saw my exposure was 1/25th at f12. Crap. But now just a quick flip of the aperture wheel to f9 and two taps on the rear LCD and I had ISO 100 for 1/200th at f9. I had a good 8 seconds to spare to watch the viewfinder and grab this image.

No, the composition is not stellar, but it could have been better if it had been a grungy old freight train instead of an ugly commuter. But I think the story will be familiar to many -- how many times have we missed a moment because of unfamiliarity with new gear? I know I have, but this time I was familiar with the camera and the new back was so intuitive to use it got out of my way and let me focus on the image.

And yes, I took some processing liberties to dress it up. I also will admit I had the 55 LS on and it was a tad short for this composition, so I cropped to about what the P40+ frame would be --- and I still have about a 54MP file!!!

Okay, Friday martini time -- enjoy your weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Warning! Do NOT look at these docs: http://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMa...anuals_DB.aspx
    Now that is interesting: If you go to page 49 of the 645DF/IQ180 user guide, it says:

"ISO Settings All IQ Series backs have a default ISO spectrum from ISO 35-800. Sensor+ technology, built into the Phase One IQ Series models, expands the ISO range to up 3200 at 20 megapixels resolution."

It contradicts the spec sheets on the P1 web page (http://www.phaseone.com/en/Digital-B...ech-Specs.aspx) and 20MP resolution applies to one model only but who knows ... So, perhaps, 2 minutes exposure time will become reality in the IQ140 too.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Chris and BTW i really enjoyed the C1 Training classes here in Phoenix and encourage folks to attend CI/Chris's event in Orlando. I actually learned a lot and wish i paid attention more as i missed a few things. I'm actually going to attend more of them so I can get out and meet with folks . Okay have to say I did fall in love with 2 products outside the IQ the Arca RM2D and the Profoto D1's which i am sitting here trying to figure out which Elinchroms to sell and get one or 2 of the D1's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    Now that is interesting: If you go to page 49 of the 645DF/IQ180 user guide, it says:

"ISO Settings All IQ Series backs have a default ISO spectrum from ISO 35-800. Sensor+ technology, built into the Phase One IQ Series models, expands the ISO range to up 3200 at 20 megapixels resolution."

It contradicts the spec sheets on the P1 web page (http://www.phaseone.com/en/Digital-B...ech-Specs.aspx) and 20MP resolution applies to one model only but who knows ... So, perhaps, 2 minutes exposure time will become reality in the IQ140 too.

Chris
    Certainly does and to our advantage no less. Hope that will be the case with the 160 and 140 to get ISO 35 and 2 minute times. Everyone I talked to does not have a final word on this for the 140 and 160 so this will be interesting to see what happens. Fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly does and to our advantage no less. Hope that will be the case with the 160 and 140 to get ISO 35 and 2 minute times. Everyone I talked to does not have a final word on this for the 140 and 160 so this will be interesting to see what happens. Fingers crossed
    I am sorry to be the one that spoils the party, but in the same manual, at page 59, explicitly says:

"The default ISO setting is 50 for all IQ Series models. The IQ180 has a standard
    ISO range from 35 to 800. The IQ140 and IQ160 has a ISO range from 50-
    800. To extend the ISO range select the Sensor + option to capture images
    with 20 megapixels resolution at 4 times higher sensitivity, up to ISO 3200.
    (The IQ180 shoots at 20 megapixel resolution, the IQ160 at 15 megapixel
    resolution and the IQ140 at 10 megapixel resolution in Sensor + mode).
    Find out how to access and set the Sensor + function on page 77."

So I guess this puts the issue to rest... which makes sense in a way, being the IQ 160 & 140 old sensors
    Vieri Bottazzini

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Graham - I downloaded the manual and it is now in my dropbox for easy access. However after just reading the whole thing I don't really think I will ever need it again. It seems that simple....Kind of reminds me of the M8 manual where it is so easy you look at it once and you are done.

Jack has his screen set up in the perfect configuration for what is intuitive and important to me so it looks like I will just follow his lead.....eventually, when the mere mortals get their backs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I put on the side menus in this order which seemed pretty good from top to bottom

Histo
    Focus mask
    Blown HighLight
    Pitch and Roll
    Exif

I like the red on the highlight to come not flashing and Jacks comment on the Focus mask coming up ONLY on the side menus I like that idea as well. Like to keep my preview screen clear unless i push the button so hopefully they will make that small firmware change. Basically give us the same options on focus mask as the highlight so we can decide for ourselves.

Also on focus mask shooting the model Doug and I set it to around 31 which seemed to work pretty well with the 110 and 210 but I would like more time with that to play some more.

Blown hightlights I set it at 250. Obviously you can adjust these things to your taste. But once you folks get your back i would play around with the focus mask and see what works best for you and your setup.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I put on the side menus in this order which seemed pretty good from top to bottom

Histo
    Focus mask
    Blown HighLight
    Pitch and Roll
    Exif

I like the red on the highlight to come not flashing and Jacks comment on the Focus mask coming up ONLY on the side menus I like that idea as well. Like to keep my preview screen clear unless i push the button so hopefully they will make that small firmware change. Basically give us the same options on focus mask as the highlight so we can decide for ourselves.
    Move the histo to third on your list and you can see it if you are scrolled to the top or scrolled to the bottom meaning the histo will always be visible....
    thanks Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For some reason I like it at the top as I really did not scroll down to the last two much at all. Cool thing is you can set to your preference which is what I love about it. Someone was actually thinking here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay a 80 mpx shot . Not sure i totally nailed focus but it is damn close. Shot with the 110mm LS at F5.6 which is fairly wide open ISO 100 at 1/160.

Only White Balance here . Let it go on DR and look how well it handled the bright sun in background with just some reflector light and the shadows are wide open. This thing has some serious DR going on.

100 percent crop.

Guy

The resolution is just amazing! I immediately saw the tiny tiny hair going into her left nostril and realized there is really a difference with an 80 Mpx back.

Wish I could afford this to use with a tech camera but as an amateur no can justify. So i'll just look at your and jack's images and enjoy.

You must own this back. No intermediate choices! JMHO LOL

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love ya Woody. Yea i have not talked to much in this review about the IQ but the real fact is you never see any of the detail with your naked eye and when you bring these images in it is just flat out scary what is in your file. Honestly I have not seen anything like it and either has Jack. When we did our review together on the prototype we where just floored what was coming up on screen and than in print. My Epson 7900 is just not big enough for this back. I started this digital journey 21 years ago back in 1990 and this stuff was far beyond our dreams back than. We have made leaps and bounds improvements in digital since than. Nice thing for me is I lived to see that change which is kind of cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another one we shot with the 110mm at ISO 100 at 3.2 which is tough to shoot at and nail it. But this is pretty good, rather we shot more at around 5.6 but we where losing light way to fast as we got a really late start. Just look at the bokeh of this lens too very very nice. Man do I love MF stuff.

FYI folks i have done nothing to these files in C1 except WB and I could do a whole lot if i wanted to with sharpness and clarity

Post Thanks / Like

FYI folks i have done nothing to these files in C1 except WB and I could do a whole lot if i wanted to with sharpness and clarity
    Guy, these shots look amazing and the new interface looks a dream!

Its a shame we have no shots done with your P40+ as a comparison as to what all this extra resolution and new chip design offers, shot under the same conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know i wish i had more time with the IQ 180 so i can really test this things out between the backs and thanks for the compliment. Not sure I even completely nailed them all but we came really close. I wish we where stopped down 1 more stop on the girl.

Post Thanks / Like

easy to forget how great the P40+ is in the first place when the nice new and shinny effect takes hold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly I can never sneeze at the P40+. Totally a awesome back no question about it. Thing has served me so well for sure. The new IQ 140 at almost the same price as the new P40+ was when it came out so a very nice deal to get in MF land. The new IQ series is going to be a huge success. I know i get excited about these things but I am impressed so pardon some of my enthusiasm. Not sure how much patience I have waiting for mine. I WANT IT TODAY. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like

So, 100% IQ140?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm pushing for the IQ 160 now but not sure i can get there but no question at least the IQ 140 it's already a done deal. I'm driving Dave at CI nuts i am sure, I'm sending him a eraser for all the changing. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A bit I forgot to include in my original write up was mentioning native file size. I know it's in the specs -- they process out of C1 to 7760x10328 pixels and 480MB in 16-bit. I want to put in perspective how big a file that 80MP is. At native file size and 360PPI print resolution, a print will be roughly 21-1/2" x 28-1/2". At 300PPI it will be roughly 25-3/4" x 35-1/2". At 240PPI it will be roughly 32" x 43" (!)
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack you need to upgrade your Epson 7900 to a 9900 now dude. LOL

You know what kills me i know him so well he is sitting there with this biggest freaking grin on his face. Just laughing at me that he will have that monster over me.