Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IQ 160 Impending Arrival

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arrow IQ 160 Impending Arrival

Morning everyone well today is the day my IQ 160 is on the Fed-X truck out for delivery. Just FYI no animals where hurt in the process of me getting one and no animals where pushed off the road either. Just had to be said. LOL

Obviously I am one of the first of few that are being delivered this week to dealers and thought while I sit here and WAIT for the truck I would touch on this sensor since it is the same sensor as my current P40+ which is safely in the hands of my dealer already and have a P65+ loaner on hand. So lets talk about this sensor a little and my thought process as I have been through many backs including the ZD, P25+, P30+, P40+ and now moving up to a Full Frame sensor. Folks this is MY first owned FF sensor and I am pretty excited about getting away from the crop and main reason I moved up from the P40+ was to FF and obviously to get the new tech.
    But this also is the Dalsa sensor which i have to admit I was pretty enamored by the Kodaks of my previous backs. That thinking certainly changed for me as since owning the P40+ which I still highly recommend to people is the P40 and P65 backs and right now they are a steal used and several people I have recommended both of these backs are very happy.

What I have found was the Dalsa sensors first offered more DR than the Kodaks of my previous backs and it also offers more importantly a much smoother neutral color tone. What I mean by this is the colors are very neutral without high color saturation and just a very smooth color palette across the board and much better at skin tones. Gone are the magenta skin tones or very warm looking skin tones. The Dalsa just produces a more pleasant look in my mind and of course you can make many adjustments to get anything you want but out of the can it is very nice.

Now i know the hot topic is the IQ 180 with its new sensor and every P65 owner on the planet that I know which are many made that upgrade path which i think was and still is a good path to take. Hell your almost forced to with the tech and new sensor which has even more DR and maybe a slightly smoother still color palette across the board.

Now i could have made this call on getting the IQ 180 as many also have done but my decision to go with the IQ 160 was more based on speed of back. So shooting speed is faster and what my GUESS is and this is just a educated guess from a lot of experience with these backs that the previews , focus mask will be slightly faster than the IQ 180. If I am wrong than i am wrong simple as that but I have a feeling I may have chose well and will get some marginal speed increase in the area's that for me a working Pro that has very varied assignments i am more concerned with speed than i am with the 20 extra mpx. I do hope I am right as i could have been shooting the 180 since day one along with Jack but i played it out and lets see if my thinking is correct and if not i am still very happy as for the last 18 months I have been shooting this sensor and swear by it and its quality of file. I really do like this sensor and have recommended the P40+ and P65 + to many folks and I still do. Nothing changed folks these dinosaurs still hunt and they hunt well.

This decision did not come by lightly as many know these buy ins are expensive but I initial took the cheaper route and slowly build from the ZD to P25+ than the P30+ and finally arrived at the P40+ . Trust me these where easy upgrades on the wallet but taking from the P40+ onto Full Frame and also with the new tech i had to bite the bullet and really invest. I know a tough pill for many to swallow but in the end I think getting to at least FF initial is the way to go now as the upgrades in the future will be less of a bite.
    But i also know buying a used P40 at 13k is a freaking steal given that you get this very good sensor with it. Trust me on this there is not much out there going to smoke this 40mpx sensor it is just that simple. I know 16 thousand images later and I would buy it again if I had too. Yes i am excited to move to FF and the new tech no question about it but it should be known I leave the P40+ with a heavy heart for it. I loved that back.

So anyway lets move forward now as we will see what the IQ 160 will be like. I expect no difference in image quality over the P65 but given the much faster on - board processors i am expecting it to be faster in operation over the P65+. If am right I am freaking hero in my own mind and if not I got a cool new back. I can't lose here. LOL

Updates will be forthcoming as little Betsy arrives. That name will certainly change to OMG . LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IQ 160 Impending Arrival

I don't like dropping names often but has to be said thanks to my dealer Capture Integration for pulling the rabbit out of a hat for me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy Guy! You sure chose the right dealer - CI really seem to go the extra mile and then some. I discovered today that my dealer somehow thought I was waiting on a V fit 180 even though he has previously sold me two Phase Mammy fit backs and bodies. Hmmm.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have another espresso Guy and enjoy the wait! I'll be looking to see what you post.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, congratulations, and good luck with your new mistress!
    I've been going through a decision process similar to yours, where I think I
    have settled on crossgrading from P40+ to IQ40, but I'm still torn between wishing I could go IQ65 (but can't spend the $ now), or should I give up the new tech and go p65+ to at least get full frame. I don't really need the 65 mp, but it wouldn't hurt, and I really get frustrated by the p40+ crop lines. Don't mind the focal length adjustment factor, but I really like to frame up to the edge of the viewfinder, and I haven't figured out if that's possible (I know there was a thread on this, but it never really got resolved whether it's possible except by blacking out the outside with a sharpie, which doesn't feel good to me). But the new tech is very appealing and I think will give me more in focus keepers, - i'd hate to give that up.
    So my question is, if you didn't spring for the IQ 65, would you have gone
    IQ 40, or p65+. I know you were going back and forth with those two options at one time, but I guess you had enough old camera bags to trade in
    for the new back!
    Again, good luck with your IQ65!

Post Thanks / Like

Happy day my friend! Does this mean the GetDPI bake sale is over?

Post Thanks / Like

Woops, maybe I should learn the names of the backs better before buying one.
    It's IQ 140 & IQ 160! I guess if my IQ was 160 I wouldn't have made that mistake!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you made the right choice - IQ160 looks like the pick of the Phase backs to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one deciding factor a used P65+ is exactly the same cost as a IQ 140 with no waiting. Honestly as much as i loved the P40+ i grew very tired of the crop lines inside the finder. For a lot of folks it may not be a issue but with people and events going on it was getting to me and I warn folks of this all the time. It is the only thing that bugged me but like anything else I worked through it. Its a really tough call right in this area and the tech is great

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck! Hope you have nothing else planned for today

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OMG now I will be hated by the IQ 180 folks and YES folks I GUESSED correctly. Shot to preview INSTANT. To Focus mask less than 3 seconds the 180 is a good 5 seconds. Zoom to 100 percent full render 2 to 3 seconds. Shooting speed full res. as fast as continuous will go. Obviously if you shoot 10 frames it will keep up with the shooting but the buffer will take a bit to clear to write everything.

Looks like I have 1.19 firmware dated May 26th. So right now I will assume my Extreme Pro cards are not supported which for both 180 and 160 could speed things up more

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow focus mask might even be 2 seconds. Its quick . Preview to see is take eye away and look and it is there. LOVE IT

Post Thanks / Like

Torturer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Back to body fit is nice and snug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll time my IQ180, but preview and focus mask sped up some after the last firmware update. I would suspect the 180 to only be around 30% slower, simply because it has 30% many more pixels render...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sensor Plus everything is INSTANT preview, focus mask, highlight. The only thing that takes any time is zoom to 100 percent takes a second or two to render. Very good and very quick shooting in Sensor Plus. Nice thing is you need speed this mode will do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I'll time my IQ180, but preview and focus mask sped up some after the last firmware update. I would suspect the 180 to only be around 30% slower, simply because it has 30% many more pixels render...
    I'm hoping Jack with the pending firmware update for the Class 6 cards it will get even faster. This is pretty freaking cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks folks . Will post images later when i actually get out there . Only 108 today

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy: your enthusiasm is catching, as always.

good for you, I'm sure you will wring it out

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulation Guy! You ere the topic of conversation at lunch between Ken & myself...

All good stuff

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, Congrats on the investment! You've made a fine decision and I completely trust you'll be really happy with it.

And, as I was reading about how you were peering through your window with your nose pressed against the glass waiting for the happy truck to deliver the back, I also imagined the music from Jaws playing in the background. A nice touch I think.

Enjoy, Guy! Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see the first shots and hear your impressions over the loaner P65+ you've been using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will head out in the morning like 5 am when its under 90 degrees here.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot wait to see your pics Guy!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn pressure is on. Just was going to shoot a couple test images.LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Performance anxiety eh Bud?

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez.

I'm being good i almost wrote something completely different. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, no pressure................... but we're all waiting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And WATCHING!!!

:
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just take a shot where you etched a new valley in the pavement from pacing up-and-down the street waiting for the truck!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Damn pressure is on. Just was going to shoot a couple test images.LOL
    There's no pressure Guy, really. Jack only shot his Passing Storm in Yosemite on his first trip out but don't let that be a pressure on you or anything. It's not like we're expecting great things from you as well. Really. No, no pressure at all.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just shoot one of those airplane cockpits you are famous for

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, as I write this, it's 6:18am in Arizona and you should be out taking test shots. As my kids used to say, "Are we there yet?, Are we there yet?, Are we there yet?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got an iPhone message -- he's there and having way too much fun with his new toy, so y'all are going to have to wait a bit longer. Actually, I've gotten like 6 messages that all say, "I love this back!"
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I was out there than just before i was ready to shoot my sunrise the back went into no DB which has happened before on other backs as well and did the usually battery tricks and such but to no avail. Pulled back, pulled batteries in both body and back several times and still ran into a wall. Figured my contacts were just not making the connection between back and body. Now Jack mentioned maybe 2 minutes to leave batteries out. Maybe not a bad idea but I never had to do that before on other backs and admit was a little quick this morning. I was pretty close to home and decided instead of doing this in the field lets just go home get the ROR out and clean it down with the connections and that did work. My body battery was slightly low also so i switched that out and got it working again. So i went back out and shot some more. If i was on a gig i would certainly would have done more field work to get it going but figure what the heck close to home lets get it fixed right. Avoid dropping anything. LOL

So Jack and I came up with a few suggestions . One is get some ROR which i use on all sorts of cleaning and works great on connections and such. here is a link http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Remover.html

Than maybe keep these in each of your bags as Jack suggested for any field work that may arise and these work on any system with electronic connections http://www.amazon.com/-Wipe-Cleaning...9016387&sr=1-1

Nice thing is you can travel with these.

So anyway i did notice maybe something slightly different than the 180 with Focus mask and need to play with this more as well. Normally i found 43 to be a pretty good number for the 180 Jack and Bob I believe like 40. What i found was maybe a little to general a pattern on the 160 so I played a bit to like 57 and that pinpointed a little better . Now I am not exactly sure of this but it does work by contrast . The 180 has slightly more DR and the 160 slightly less so given the DR difference there maybe a slight focus mask difference in numbers. I know its just a number so it really makes no difference in the real world. But be interesting to see these two backs side by side on same scene and see if there really is any. I'm guessing a little here since there is just no way to prove this until they are side by side.

So maybe something we want to look at next time I am with Jack and can test it.

Now onto the functions. Holy smokes the UI is just something else. In the field even in bright AZ sun it just is about the most gorgeous interface I have ever seen. No different than the 180 in this regard but it is just so easy to confirm everything and the Focus mask is truly 2 seconds. Its quick and the preview is right there and spot on. Like the 180 the only thing i would consider and hate to even use this word slow is the zoom to 100 percent which takes a couple seconds. Will we see improvements here with firmware , my guess we will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And no i did NOT get a Yosemite Passing Storm Image today. Just some fundamental shots to see how things are working. I need a road trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need a road trip.
    I think this should be my next signature line! LOLOLOLOL!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a bad thought indeed bud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Jack and I came up with a few suggestions . One is get some ROR which i use on all sorts of cleaning and works great on connections and such. here is a link http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Remover.html

Than maybe keep these in each of your bags as Jack suggested for any field work that may arise and these work on any system with electronic connections http://www.amazon.com/-Wipe-Cleaning...9016387&sr=1-1
    Excellent suggestions. I swear by the eWipes. They're just the thing for cleaning MFD sensors. I'll have to get some ROR and keep it in my 3-1-1 bag for airline travel.

Enough procrastination. Show us some flics!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Working on it now Joe. LOL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    There's no pressure Guy, really. Jack only shot his Passing Storm in Yosemite on his first trip out but don't let that be a pressure on you or anything. It's not like we're expecting great things from you as well. Really. No, no pressure at all.
    hahahahahahahaha!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No word from Guy for about 3 hrs now. I guess he is out shopping for Manolo Blahnik's as part of his trade-up deal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got lucky only cost me a nice lunch so far. LoL

But payback I'm sure is not over. Told her the REAL price. I'm doomed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Be posting soon here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay these are some tests shots from a little town in Cave Creek. I use this place a lot for testing. Here all images shot at ISO 50 set for daylight and I did not WB anything. Just want to see what is coming off the sensor for now and my sharpening is very low also. I have a borrowed 28mm D lens and I'm in the middle of testing it against my 35MM D lens . With the Full Frame sensor now things have changed for me on my focal lengths . Some things I am happy with like my 55 getting wider but my 300 got a little shorter. So some trade offs but I'm still in flux wider than 55mm and trying to make some decisions there along with tech cam thrown in the mix of that decision as well. Been noodling this one since i ordered the 160 so nothing new here and this is my second time running the 28/35 tests. Its almost like a coin flip in some ways.

Anyway Identical spot 28 and 35 at F11. Even exactly the same focus mask that I lined up perfectly with exactly the same pinpoints.

28mm

35mm

Now i know the 28mm very corners are mush . Well known fact with FF but I view this lens as a 30mm, so you may need to crop to that point. My mental debate is these two lenses . I own the 35mm and had the 28mm . I may reverse this not sure yet though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

28mm D has slightly more contrast but that really is meaningless given all the controls we have in C1 but the DR is very nice with barely any clipping in the shadows actually almost none.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes dirty sensor . Needs to be cleaned. Why is that brand spanking new and dust bunnies already. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

28mm again at F11

Nice bokeh even at F11 with the 55mm. i am focused squarely on the bottom of that seat

55mm again at F11 focused right on the front buckboard and wall of logs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just FYI the detail is killer. I'll get some crops up as well. But nice tonal range and great DR here. Again very very little clipping. Early light here about 6:30 and I did not WB so maybe slightly warm which i like actually. My 55mm lens is just amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Switch gears here a little the 110mm LS lens wide open here at 3.5. BTW my focus mask from camera is matching my focal points I focused on pretty much dead on.

I kind of like this one shot with the 110mm at F5