Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpa 12 TC images

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpa 12 TC images

I went out to test my Mamiya 150mm this morning and thought I would bring my Alpa along for the ride. I shot these with my Schnieder 47mm XL lens at ISO 100 around F11 or so. P25 plus bak. Really starting to like this little setup
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Alpha 12 TC images

BTW I am guessing at the focusing. I lost out on getting a ground glass by a few minutes at a great price which really bummed me out but it really is not that hard to guess at it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, these are nice but don't seem to have the WOW factor of the shots you just posted from your 150 2.8. Obviously different camera and lenses for a different purpose. What's your impression????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it is a very capable machine no doubt and given the size factor the smallest thing in MF a pretty good way to go. Issue is for me the 47mm is well covered with my 35mm and 55mm. I need a 24mm to make this a stronger device for me but if someone wants very small and a M8 on steroids it is tough to beat given the size and these great optics in the digitars. It's a great small camera but not really what I need per say. I will most likely sell it since it does not serve me with a full Phase/Mamiya system going on. But that is me , the Alpa is really a nice tool and I do like the small factor a lot. For someone hiking or traveling this is a great option. Just takes some mental work

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The pics demonstrate just how much DOF and just how sharp the digitar lenses are - what else do you expect from a set-up like this?

If you wanted 'POP' ala a fast 35mm or MF lens - you then go to swings and tilts on a view camera set-up - that will out 'pop' anything in 35/MF land. You see this fact in product and architectural shooting every day..

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the new RVP-50 on a View Camera with Rodenstock and Schneider lenses sure has all the pop and sizzle you need, and those drum scans are quite spectacular :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wrote about this exact camera setup in my blog. Called it the "world's most expensive point-and-shoot". Wouldn't mind owning one though.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You won't see me arguing. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously when In NY with some GetDPI members they really liked it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also I am using a Zeiss 25/28 viewfinder instead of the Alpa VF . Saved a lot of money from buying the Alpa finder at 1300. The lenses are what are expensive they normally start at 3500.00 . Sounds like leica M prices to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is what my setup looks like from a forum member that took a shot of it. I also have a Nikon hand strap on it so it really fits in my hand very well. Also using the finger grip which is hard to see since my paws are all over it

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey that shot has a copyright!
    My nickname for this camera is "Guy's Science Experiment"

I get a little chuckle out of the cords running in different directions....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought you shot this. LOL Okay steak dinner on me.

Natasa Stojsic

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Also I am using a Zeiss 25/28 viewfinder instead of the Alpa VF . Saved a lot of money from buying the Alpa finder at 1300. The lenses are what are expensive they normally start at 3500.00 . Sounds like leica M prices to me
    Guy,

CONGRATULATIONS

Your images look like mine good but not full potential... I'm sure it will take some/short time, but it is worth every cent... Remeber, it's Leica... only up to 60MP if you wish... and that's hard to beat right

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two more shots with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Natasa i have some more here from my first outing. I do need to get serious with this though. The potential is there alright

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...t=1941&page=10

Natasa Stojsic

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Guy, these are nice but don't seem to have the WOW factor of the shots you just posted from your 150 2.8. Obviously different camera and lenses for a different purpose. What's your impression????
    Remember this is not AF nor 150mm range lens Regardless, WOW effect will be there.... give him few weeks

Oh yeah.... and if WOW is what you are after... fasten your seat belt if he buys few more lenses

My set was TC with P45+ and I thought when I checked the P45+ screen focus was perfect, than laughed because all images looked soft on Mac.... but obviously that was not ALPA TC or P45+, that was totally me... but I promise I'll get there, especially now when Guy has one too
    Last edited by Natasa Stojsic; 31st July 2008 at 17:20.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Natasa, Peter:
    Do you ever use the TC on a tripod? I know it is the perfect compact hand-held MF rig but I was wondering about other uses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charlie one thing I want to try is doing a two or three shot stitch with it on a focusing rail setup from RRS. Seriously this maybe the ultimate in landscape work, small and easy to hike with and you can put any size back on it with the correct back mount. This just extends my MF back. I want to keep this if I can, i see this as the great travel camera and landscape machine. Just think if I had this in Moab. That is what I keep thinking about.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly Guy, that is what I was thinking. It could be very versatile for a compact system. Thanks for posting the images also.

Here are a couple of images of Guy's rig from when he was in NY.
    First one, Guy's perfect guessing technique:

Attachment 6696

Here you can get an idea of how compact it is in his hand:

Attachment 6697

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The red button is my pre release cable or wake up cable . i hit that with my left hand than shoot with the right

I also found the perfect bag for it but Terry would not let me buy it. LOL

Billingham Combo bag for the Leica

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What someone needs to develop is a shoe mounted laser rangefinder for this thing similar to what the Sony F707 had. This, of course, would not be used for portraits as you may blind the subject.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CMB - I use a 12SW these days as I like the retro deluxo handles in rosewood. I sold my TC - (which is a beautiful thing) - when I got the news of the Alpa Max. To answer your question, I do use the Alpa on tripod for landscape work - and that is where the Alpa max is going to come in - a beautiful inbuilt stitching machine a lot smaller than the monstrous XY version. The 12 series cameras are easilly handholdable at insanely low shutter speeds for ok results.

If you have a MFD back - there is NO EXCUSE for not having an Alpa with a Schneider 24 0r 35 or Rodenstock 28 or 35.

I have to BITE MY TONGUE about continual references for the need of laser finders etc etc in order to get proper focus - you DONT NEED THIS and even if you got it - HOW WOULD YOU TRANSLATE READINGS TO THE FOCUS SCALE ON LENS?

The 24 or 35 focus from about 1.5 feet at closes to infinity at F11 - which is the aperture you should shoot at to get max sharpness btw. You have clear scale markings for relatively close distances and then the scale goes exponential for further distances.
    Last edited by PeterA; 31st July 2008 at 22:29.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    I have never even seen an Alpa TC or an MFD back, much less used one. I have no idea how the lens is marked but from my Leica M8 experience, scale focusing is a guessing game and if you want to shoot wide open (for whatever reason) you had better be a good judge of distance. I know I'm not.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that camera is so small !

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Evgeny, you live in Jerusalem don't you, fancy sharing one?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, these appear to just need a bit of post to snap them up. The DOF is amazing ... and is a WOW factor in its own right.

Would you mind taking that first shot posted and playing with it in levels if you have a moment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You got it Marc , I added some magic here. First one i straightened the lines, added sharpening and local contrast plus than went in and selected the shadows and opened more . Second one coming out of C1 with no after effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The one thing Alpa does give you is shims for your back. So in theory you can fine tune your back to the lens and at a given distance say 10 ft you can calibrate exactly to that lens setting. I have yet to do this and something I should do.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I meant the desert dry gully one Guy ... that one will sing I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here I did the same as the first one but this time went for even more sharpening effect. The beauty I am finding in MF is you can push these files to no end. They just have so much elbow room

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I know I shot this one at F11 which I think maybe the limit before diffraction sets in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I redid this one to be more final also

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Peter,
    I have never even seen an Alpa TC or an MFD back, much less used one. I have no idea how the lens is marked but from my Leica M8 experience, scale focusing is a guessing game and if you want to shoot wide open (for whatever reason) you had better be a good judge of distance. I know I'm not.
    really dont know what to say...except unlike Leica there is no connection between a viewfinder and focusing there is no rangefinder to focus with..all you have is a guessing game ( your words) by definition.it is a guess.thats where the DOF of these lenses kicks in.
    You buy a wide angle lens like this to shoot wide not narrow DOF shots - ie think total opposite of a fast M lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

btw Guy - I am ordering one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL I know this little thing is sweet Peter ,it really is a SMALL package and hard to resist. Can't fault you for a second.

Marc working on it. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy - not the TC - the back -

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh yes the P25 Plus i love so far.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, pardon me for my true ignorance, but although I can perhaps see how the price of the camera is justified, why are the lenses so expensive, can a helical mount really over double the price of the lens?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

April 2007, Olhão, Algarve, S. Portugal

TC with Super Angulon 38mm and Aptus 65:

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Guy, pardon me for my true ignorance, but although I can perhaps see how the price of the camera is justified, why are the lenses so expensive, can a helical mount really over double the price of the lens?
    Ben great question actually and it does come down to quality build like in the case with Leica. Hand made to very stringent tolerances and such. Unlike building lenses for like Canon say these designs without all the hoopla can be built to such high standards and simpler designs to do that. Plus these are smaller companies that are limited to not having big production lines and such so labor is more and all that. Plus they are some of the best lenses made and we will pay for that alone.

Natasa Stojsic

Charlie one thing I want to try is doing a two or three shot stitch with it on a focusing rail setup from RRS. Seriously this maybe the ultimate in landscape work, small and easy to hike with and you can put any size back on it with the correct back mount. This just extends my MF back. I want to keep this if I can, i see this as the great travel camera and landscape machine. Just think if I had this in Moab. That is what I keep thinking about.
    You are reading my mind....

As far as I am concerned, there is no substitute for this little camera that can fit in the palm of your hand with LF Lenses!!! Practically, this combo will out resolve 4x5 Film easy, plus if you want to go bigger.... you can, it's in the family and if not.... we have options like you said "Focusing rail setup from RRS"

I love the Zeiss 25/28 viewfinder idea it will save me enough money to add for another lens

Guy, just imagine when Digital Back becomes half as thick as they are now.... Alpa TC will look even better!!!

I truly thought LEAF will make one that is half as thick and with existing size 6x7 screen... only better quality!!!

Q: Do you have the one shot cable grip from Alpa... or is that the standard one?

Natasa Stojsic

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    April 2007, Olhão, Algarve, S. Portugal

TC with Super Angulon 38mm and Aptus 65:

Nice images Yair, I appreciate your contribution

I heard from a friend that you don't need cables with ALPA if you use Leaf DB!

How can that be... can you explain and post some images?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Natasa the Leaf system does not use the power up feature like the Phase system. I believe you turn it on and it stays on and uses fans to keep cool. Yair correct me if I am wrong. The Phase system uses a power down wake up system, so when the back is off the Mamiya mount it needs to wake up first reason for the wake up cable. This keeps the back cool without the use of fans.

I am using the Phase wakeup cable. http://www.captureintegration.com/ph...stom-products/

Natasa Stojsic

Natasa the Leaf system does not use the power up feature like the Phase system. I believe you turn it on and it stays on and uses fans to keep cool. Yair correct me if I am wrong. The Phase system uses a power down wake up system, so when the back is off the Mamiya mount it needs to wake up first reason for the wake up cable. This keeps the back cool without the use of fans.

I am using the Phase wakeup cable. http://www.captureintegration.com/ph...stom-products/
    I see... thanks!!! What keeps the Phase back cool when we use it with Mamiya though?

I thought we could buy the grip with one shot cable and that's it... it should be that easy!!!

I will have to look into that!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The one shot cable built into the grip for the Alpa is really expensive like 900 dollars or more. OUCH

I will let Lance or Doug explain what Phase does with there backs for cooling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here it is

Natasa Stojsic

As I said before... My only complain with ALPA is PRICE! PRICE! PRICE!
    although others are catching up.... Digital Backs are going through the roof/etc.

Well, if big number of us ignores the first/second shipment from PHASE/HASSELBLAD/LEAF/SINAR they will surely get a wake up call!!!

Natasa Stojsic

Here it is
    I thought I've seen one where cables are tailored and not exposed much, and yes that's the one!!!

However, for now if I have to put up with extra cables I will...

Wait... just thinking about it, Kapture Gruop makes one for $400+ without
    the grip... so, I don't know at this point but I may go for the $900

We'll see because it always cost me more when I go and buy something cheaper than it turns out to be more expensive and it cost me more!!!

I'm tired of eBay