Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leaf Credo 50 Review by Guy Mancuso

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaf Credo 50 Review by Guy Mancuso

I shall try and give a summarizing comment on the tech wide angle performance.

This sensor is not designed to handle the relatively steep angles coming from Rodenstock wides. The sensor is pushed into crosstalk (ie mixing of color channels) with the 40HR. If we do not use the full 90mm image circle but keep within 70mm the crosstalk means some rolloff in color separation ("tonality") and saturation, but you won't get a total breakdown. If you shift hugely say 25-30mm you will get total breakdown with both strong desaturation and residual color casts. The breakdown can come a bit sudden as the sensor is designed with offset microlenses along the sides (ie to perform best with the lens centered).

Considering the color fidelity and tonality aspect the Credo 50 + 40HR can be compared to using a P65+/IQ160/IQ260 with an SK35. You have similar type of limitations of image circle use, and similar type of tonality falloff due to crosstalk. If it's okay to you is your decision.

Looking at the real-world results of Guy's test here and Doug's IQ250 tests and also doing some measurements on the LCC shots I'd say that you will very likely get good results if you keep within that 70mm. There is a clear amount of crosstalk going on, but the effect is hard to detect in a real image, there is not much desaturation in practice, you could argue that within this 70mm image circle the increase in noise due to vignetting is worse than any tonality loss. I think the Digaron-W 32 will work too, and if we're lucky the Digaron-S 28 works as well, as the wider angles seems to be a bit more retrofocus than the 40. I would not bet on it until thoroughly tested though.

Personally I don't think the SK35 on the IQ260 is a good idea, and I don't think the HR40 on the Credo 50 is either, but that's because I'm allergic to paying for image circle I can't use and as the engineer I am I don't like pushing sensors into the operating space where they're not designed to be, and I guess I have not fully come to peace with that tech cam users in general cares more about sharpness than tonality . Still I'm less skeptic about the performance now than I was before. The reason is that I had seen some results of overshifted frames and then due to offset microlenses you get the effect that an area of the image circle that works okay with a smaller shift breaks down, so it looks worse than it is.

So if you can accept working within 70mm image circle and accept a little shaky tonality performance when shifting this can be the next big thing for tech users, live view at last!

Those that like to use tech wides and sensor design that actually match, 40/60 MP Dalsa and the Digaron series is great, and 50 MP Kodak and Schneider Digitar series is also great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I agree, the 1.3 crop for me a huge deal. Loss of 10MP pixels, is also a consideration, but not as much as the crop. I mainly shoot with the 28, 40 Rodie and the 60XL, and all of these lenses will be effected considerably.

As Guy points out, the 1.3 crop does however give you full resolution all the way to edges where I will start to sometimes see a bit of softness on full 15mm shifts with a 60MP back.

Paul
    I have 35XL (perfectly aligned by Schneider so its a keeper), 60XL, 100mm, 150mm. With my IQ180 the 100 is my most used lens. I won't care so much about the crop factor as long as there's no brick wall or water fall directly behind me. I really think that there will be a big improvement in color (for me). Also, for those times when I can't use a tripod, I could hand hold because of the extremely useful higher ISO's. I will see soon enough....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the Live View:

Before I started to use the Surface Pro2 and the USB3 connection, I was also hoping for a Live View like on the modern DSLR's. As Guy points out with the CMOS back it's there and works great.

However, as I wide shooter, I have taken the time to understand my hyperfocal range of the lenses I use and have that charted. The Live View on the CCD backs is way to slow and in bright light blooms with each adjustment, some say that they can use, I can't. You literally can watch the battery drain and noise increase on the CCD backs as the chip heats up.

With the wides, I can dial in where I believe focus should be, shoot, and within seconds view the shot at 100% on the Surface. Surface has touch screen so it's just so fast to move around the file and determine if I have the focus where I want it.

However if I was using 90mm and up a lot I can easily see where the back live view would be a HUGE asset as the focus gets much more critical with the longer tech glass (at least for me). The 120mm especially as it's very easy to be just a bit off with that lens.

You can also setup a custom workspace, to push the shadows, so each image loads with a 1 to 1.5 push. This is a bit more than needed, but in the field it's an easy way to check to see if I have a bit too much noise in my shifts. In same custom workspace, I have the navigator tool so I can move around the file very fast.

Where as moving around an image on the LCD of the back, is much slower and there is still some lag (at least with my back) between zooming between normal and 100%, this seems to get worse also as the card starts to get full. As Ken has mentioned, the LCD on the back is for younger eyes, my older eyes do get tasked when viewing a lot of images on the back, where as the Surface again makes this so much easier and faster, at least for me.

I am still on the Surface 2, have a 3 but for now prefer the form factor of the 2. 3 works fine (on capture 7) when tethering, but I also feel the battery of the 2 lasts longer.

Sorry to get off topic a bit.

Paul

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay just finished doing both shifts at 12mm I tend to think its the max for this combination . I also did some other tricks. One was rotating the lens to see if I have a lens issue than I did a 12mm rise with blue sky.

Okay weird **** happens a custom home builder was up here and now wants to hire me to shoot his custom homes with this thing. Now that's cool stuff.

Dave oh Dave my favorite drug dealer. Lol

I'll load it all up after breakfast
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay just finished doing both shifts at 12mm I tend to think its the max for this combination . I also did some other tricks. One was rotating the lens to see if I have a lens issue than I did a 12mm rise with blue sky.
    A wierd (and interesting) trick to do is to turn the back upside down and shoot the same shifted shot again. The LCC will look different just as you see on your left/right LCCs. Maybe the end result after applying the LCC will look different too -- I don't know. It would be interesting to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You just might be able to use that 35xl on this but that's a test that needs to be done. Great lens and cheap too
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    A wierd (and interesting) trick to do is to turn the back upside down and shoot the same shifted shot again. The LCC will look different just as you see on your left/right LCCs. Maybe the end result after applying the LCC will look different too -- I don't know. It would be interesting to see.
    I just did do that flipped the whole thing and shot it upside down the back that is for a 12mm rise in blue sky. I'll load that too

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You just might be able to use that 35xl on this but that's a test that needs to be done. Great lens and cheap too
    A very, very sharp lens that I sent back to Schneider for tweaking.... they really made it perfect for me.... at no charge! I limit rise on my IQ180 to 5mm. I'm hoping I can get that out of the Leaf. For shift I rotate around the nodal.... works like a charm.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I nailed it down. 12mm is the answer. Honestly I knew it all along Im just stubborn and wanted 18mm and seriously you still can as the corners are not smearing but you may need to do additional work with regards to color.

First a WB shot

Now this on screen is just dead perfect. No changes here except 12mm shifts in either direction so 3 shots.

Once again a color card

Again a 3 shot vertical at 12mm. This looks perfect. Case closed 12mm is the safe bet with a Rodie 40mm and the Credo 50 and thats 24mm worth a shift that is really good.

Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 1st October 2014 at 10:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting the back is actually upside down with a 12mm of rise on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a 12mm shot of the left side but I did rotate the lens. Very close

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All testing is done the back is now in the hands of Rod. Sending Alpa back to CI. Depression is setting in. Im glad i ran out and shot it at 12mm shifts I feel much better now knowing its much better than 15mm and 18mm

Uploading raws now from this morning

Here we go. Enjoy

https://www.hightail.com/download/Ul...QTYzeUtLRmNUQw
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 1st October 2014 at 10:42.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW 12mm of shift/rise/fall is equivalent to about 10 degree rotation in the 50 to 60mm range. I mention this because I use Nodal rotation a fair amount and stay very conservative with regards to overlaping. This rotation amount is a piece of cake for PTGui and allows movements in all directions at the same time.

Thanks for all the work...... really like the color out of this chip.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Color is really nice. i know its very saturated here in AZ due to the intense sun but it sure is vivid. I love cloudy days for a break. LOL

And yes shooting landscape type work Panos are so much easier than stitching and when the light is falling a much better option. No LCC needed and these stitching programs do a excellent job. Honestly I never really stitched that much doing landscape type work. Not only that you can get really wide doing 3 or more shots

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

What I have found is that I shoot more stitching on MFD than on 135, mostly because I use zooms on 135 and primes on MFD. I also do more focus stacking on MFD. I don't feel tilts work well for my subjects, but I am still learning.

Simple stitching and stacking I often do in PS, but for real work I use Zerene Stacker and Autopano Pro. But, simple stuff works well in PS and it is well integrated with Lightroom.

Best regards
    Erik

Color is really nice. i know its very saturated here in AZ due to the intense sun but it sure is vivid. I love cloudy days for a break. LOL

And yes shooting landscape type work Panos are so much easier than stitching and when the light is falling a much better option. No LCC needed and these stitching programs do a excellent job. Honestly I never really stitched that much doing landscape type work. Not only that you can get really wide doing 3 or more shots

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I shouldn't have looked and I really shouldn't have downloaded. I can say the engagement ring is definitely putting the Credo50/IQ250/H5D50 out of reach for me right now but if I haven't learned anything else on this forum I've learned to go MF before you're married because no ski masks will be needed then. RIGHT!?!
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your learning well. Lol

One word cubic zirconia . Oops that's 2

Post Thanks / Like

Again realizing I'm probably a minority but I don't really consider stitching at all. I did quite some stitching with my DSLR but since I started to shoot MF I haven't stitched a single shot. Getting a high resolution system and still have to stitch is not my idea of a nice workflow.

One of the strongest points of MF tech cams I think is the compositional flexibility, framing and completing the scene and just shoot one shot, just as in the large format days. That's one reason I've been so concerned of this crosstalk issue, I want plenty of unrestricted movement range.

When I started out with MF I had those rules with max Xmm with lens XYZ for sharpness reasons, but now I have largely dropped that and I shift more than I did before. I find compostional possibilities to be more valuable for me than having the utmost corner sharpness in every shot.

Actually I think I'm more of a large format shooter too lazy to use film than a MFD tech cam shooter :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I can say the engagement ring is definitely putting the Credo50/IQ250/H5D50 out of reach for me right now
    If V-mount is okay for your intended use you have the CFV-50c, at "only" $15k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use rise and fall almost always and I agree shooting these big backs is often quite enough for IQ. It's really the glass that's the real magic. There so good even backs like the P25 look outstanding. I do use tilt. Not so much in this testing but if it's there I will use it but seriously without live view tilting is very tough to do. I think it's why many don't use it as much because focusing is not Normal your tilting the plane of focus and that's not easy for some to understand . Takes some real practice. Live view or tethered makes it easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Tilting is not as useful on the wides either, although it has happened that I've tilted my SK35 when I've had the tripod low and shifted down. I chose a view camera design (Linhof Techno) so I could have tilt and swing on all lenses without paying extra for the mount each time.

I think the pancake cam HPF laser distance meter way of focusing won much extra ground because of the lacking live views in the CCD backs. I hope for a revitalization of the view camera design with live view backs coming. Therefore I'm really happy that the Credo 50 works a little bit better with the wides than I thought it would, although it's not fitting my shooting style and choice of lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm having a lot of fun with my canon 17 TSE with tilt. But I agree I would use it far more with a 24,45 and 90 and use would go up as focal length does. When I had my cambo I did not get it on my Rodie 28 and some days I could have used it. The tilt adapter was on all week on the Alpa and its a nice tool to have bolted on . The folks at CI put a HPF ring on it to stop it at sit new infinity setting. Worked nice. They could have also just reset the lens ring itself but that's more permenant procedure. Here you could just take the ring off and on much simpler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually I use tilt on all my wides, 28, 40, 35 and 60. Can make a huge difference in perceived hyperfocal distance. You have to watch the top of your image as it can easily be tilted out of sharp focus.

Most times on the rm3di, I will be a 1/2 a degree of tilt to 3/4. This small amount of tilt can give me a close end on my hyperfocal as close as 10 feet to infinity as long as the top of my shot is sky, I am fine.

While I owned it, the SK43 also benefited from tilt for the same reasons.

While on the 35mm systems, on the Canon 24 TS-EII, most times I was at F8 to F11 and tilt really did not help much.

It seems that F11 to F11-1 stop (copol 0) are the best apertures. However in low light or windy conditions, where I know I can't go past 200 on the IQ260, I often go to F8 or F8 -1 stop, and again tilt can really help with the close in details.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree and focus stacking only works good when there is no wind. It's limited for sure. Having it on cam is truly the better solution . That's one nice feature on the Arca is the tilt on the body and not the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I gotta ask have you folks been processing the raws. Love to hear folks impressions of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, working on them right now. Big download for sure.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought I'd throw a long exposure file into the mix...14 minutes on Rm2D with HR50-W, 8mm rise and an ND filter. The weird shadow at the bottom is from the lock on the walkway's fence

It's a railway bridge with trains running across every minute or so so there's some motion blur in there :-)

The RAW file is HERE
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair since you are here was there anything I may have missed feature or function wise that you would like to talk about that would be great.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If V-mount is okay for your intended use you have the CFV-50c, at "only" $15k.
    If Pentax had Leaf Shutters on the horizon I'd just spring for it as the camera is very good. I can get a new Credo 40 or H5d with lens for the same money (or less) plus I have my 35mm systems. I'm not so interested in tech cams right now as I really only want it for portraits and the occasional landscape.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Your learning well. Lol

One word cubic zirconia . Oops that's 2
    LOL... I almost spit out my soda. Thakfully my conscious would never allow me to do that to her. She has an idea of how much I spend on my hobbies and she also encourages me to enjoy it (and occasionally make a little money on the side.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well not hearing much. You must love it and at your dealers right.

Forget the crop factor for a second. What really counts here is the new tech in CMOS. Is it in your future plans ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Found a few more images

DF+ with 55mm LS ISO 100

Alpa Tech cam 40mm Roadie. Forgot the erase filter for the photographers shadow

All of these shot with the DF+ 55mm LS and all at ISO 1600. I took creative processing license

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are shot by another photographer that shot for the folks at Leaf . I do have permission to show these in the review but Im not going to upload the raws folks. I would not want anyone to load mine up either. But from what I can tell he shot the DF+ with a 240mm LS lens with the ISO 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400 he shot the 80mm LS all pretty much wide open or darn close to it. From what I understand its a setting sun situation and the last ISO 6400 they used a small LED light. Little tough for me to WB since there is no card in there so lets ignore that color on that one. I did the processing to what i thought looked good for that time of day.

Photgrapher name is
    Photographer: Pete Albert
    Model Rachel: Gearhart

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The detail is very good and more impressive is i see no hair weird artifacts in any of the images. Very clean indeed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm out if images to post at this point. Anyone have any to add please do.

Post Thanks / Like

The detail is very good and more impressive is i see no hair weird artifacts in any of the images. Very clean indeed

Very impressive,digital is really maturing now,and cmos Medium format will only get better..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly if I was in the market I would jump on one of these cmos backs. Credo 50 being the least costly and down right really nice to shoot with leaf color. My 6th back would be this. I'm impressed and I really did not think it would be this good. I came from 5 CCD backs. But live view and high ISO was always a issue with them but not now. I agree it will only get better. I just wish I could do it. I miss MF a lot. The IQ just sucks you in

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly if I was in the market I would jump on one of these cmos backs. Credo 50 being the least costly and down right really nice to shoot with leaf color. My 6th back would be this. I'm impressed and I really did not think it would be this good. I came from 5 CCD backs. But live view and high ISO was always a issue with them but not now. I agree it will only get better. I just wish I could do it. I miss MF a lot. The IQ just sucks you in
    You know how it is Guy..life is full of swings and roundabouts ..you'll get one of these at some point..

A phase dealer I know told me there is a FF version planned and should be released in 2016,.. that would be very nice.. ;-)

I am surprised by the cmos IQ.. do you think that CCD has any advantage over this? I'm also really curious to see how the new S sensor performs..I know its based on M240 sensor although Leica said they have made changes on what they learned since they switched to cmos..

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the CFV-50c at $15k is the least costly by margin, and if you're going to shoot tech V-mount will do. The live view is probably considerably worse though, we have to wait until they finish the firmware upgrade to see exactly how that performs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    You know how it is Guy..life is full of swings and roundabouts ..you'll get one of these at some point..

A phase dealer I know told me there is a FF version planned and should be released in 2016,.. that would be very nice.. ;-)

I am surprised by the cmos IQ.. do you think that CCD has any advantage over this? I'm also really curious to see how the new S sensor performs..I know its based on M240 sensor although Leica said they have made changes on what they learned since they switched to cmos..
    I'm not so sure there is a big difference than CCD. It seems very close by the IQ the DR, Detail and smoothness of tone seem very very close. It acts a little different you want to be careful of your highlights and since you get such a great noise bottom end than you may want to stay away from any blown highlights on screen which is adjustable . I would set it at 240 and be on the safe side. Also as long as you know each lens shift limits than you will stay out of trouble . Good news it seems they did a excellent job designing and building this sensor. For a first gen. It's really good

I do wish I had the Credo 40 or IQ 140 to compare with since it's the same size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually the CFV-50c at $15k is the least costly by margin, and if you're going to shoot tech V-mount will do. The live view is probably considerably worse though, we have to wait until they finish the firmware upgrade to see exactly how that performs.
    This will be interesting to see how everyones implementation of this sensor into their backs or bodies for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been shooting and traveling with the Credo 50 since June and have a large collection of images from various genres and locations...If there's anything specific people here are interested in please let me know and I'll post!

BR, Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, where do you rate it when shooting on the DF compared to your A7R purely from an IQ standpoint? Have you done any comparisons?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sort of I shot something similar with both.

My take the Sony 50mpx

Better detail
    Cleaner micro contrast
    File actually looks smoother ( tonal range)
    Color has a slight edge
    Overall just more meat if you know what I mean

Rather shoot the Sony as far as a body though. Plus I would rather shoot the Sigma 35mm Art lens over the 55LS given the format I like the sigma lens. But the tech cam smokes everything.

Having a non compressed file is much more desirable than what Sony is doing on my A7r.

Okay I'll just say it. Sony is NOT building for the Pro but MF back OEM are. I would much rather own phase, leaf or Hassy systems as they are Pro level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I would like to see now there is CMOS in MF. A high end Mamiya 7 type mirror less cam with EVF that can take almost any MF lens like the Sony A7 series can. This way I can pick the best glass in any MM lens from among the brands. Including tilt and shift glass and be able to bolt the tech cam lenses on as well. Reinvent the DSLR and tech cams into one. How the heck you do that I don't know but we need to get smaller have more lens options and still be able to use these backs.

Not sure if any of that makes sense but mirror less, EVF and lens choices should be our next step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the idea of the Sony A7 series now just take that apply it to MF and these new 50mpx bigger sensors and we may have something

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, an A7 with this sensor would be sweet...with a helical focus mount for tech lenses (will have to figure out how to operate the Copal 0/aperture), OK, just woke up.

Guy, thanks for the detailed response, I guess the pixels are still larger on the 50MP back compared to the A7R which is great. I like the idea of LV, and ever since returning the IQ260 Achromat following the LV fiasco with Phase, I do have permission for a second back....

But probably best to wait. Tech cam use and FF are what allow me to justify price/effort for me with the IQ180, if I can get that on a CMOS back, I'd be a no brainer. Maybe in 2 years. Of course, Sony could be putting these 50MP sensors in the QX1 and selling them for $299 by then

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having a non compressed file is much more desirable than what Sony is doing on my A7r.

Okay I'll just say it. Sony is NOT building for the Pro but MF back OEM are. I would much rather own phase, leaf or Hassy systems as they are Pro level.
    Always wondered why they did that, it's not like they have a higher model they would have to worry about cannibalizing. Only thing I can think of is write speeds to an SD card which are quite a bit slower than CF cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I think most of you figured me out when it comes to gear I am not very patient at all. People, dogs and such yes very much so. But gear not a chance. Lol

Do you remember those crazy Eddie commercials from years ago. I'm more like scary Guy I buy and sell so much. Lol

I'm actually a little worried about a bigger sensor and tech cams. 50mpx is a nice sweet spot

Btw I mentioned in the review I meet a custom home builder when shooting the tech cam this week. Well he just emailed me to shoot his properties and wants to talk. Maybe something good will come from all this work. Lol might need that tech cam and back again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Always wondered why they did that, it's not like they have a higher model they would have to worry about cannibalizing. Only thing I can think of is write speeds to an SD card which are quite a bit slower than CF cards.
    Yea but it's not pushing 6 frames a second either. Makes you wonder what they where thinking. At least give us the option like Nikon does.