Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Leaf Credo 50 Review by Guy Mancuso

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leaf Credo 50 Review by Guy Mancuso

If Sony does make a A7x with a 50MP MF chip, then things will get very interesting very quickly. It's all the same chip in Pentax, Phase, Hasselblad and Credo. Sure there are some "tweaks", but the chip is the same. It's a great chip. It's long exposure at base iso surpasses the Nikon D800 and D810 from what I have seen. If Sony puts the chip in a RX1 body, then things will stay the same a while longer as that body will not allow for a removable lens. I wouldn't be surprised is Sony has a non compete clause with the MF companies for a period of time, just like they did with Nikon and the 36MP chip. Sony had to wait a year before they could but that chip in their mount in the A7r. Imagine what the A7r would have done to Nikon sales of D800's if both cameras were announced and shipped at the same time?

Now take the A7x with the 50MP chip, with a Modified E or new mount, put that camera on a Arca Universalis, or Cambo Aptus, add a 40mm HR-W and you have a very very good solution. Even if the Sony A7x with 50MP costs 5K to 7K, it will still be so much less than the MF companies. Sony knows EVF technology, and peaking, so both of these would add to the package just as it does with the A7r.

I have used the bigger Arca M2 in the DSLR2 configuration on the A7r with the 35SK, 40HR-W, 60SK, and 90HR, and it's very powerful combination. I hope to have a finished review of this up on my site soon. This same setup with a 50mp MF chip would be amazing.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The problem still remains. There is still no outstanding shift / tilt wide angle (in the 14-24mm 35mm equivalent focal lengths) solution for the Sony 50mp sensor regardless of platform.

There are some wide angle lens alternatives though. Hasselblad does have a nice 24mm lens available in H mount (and also a 28, both take filters in front of the lens) and of course Pentax has the new 28-45mm (very easy to filter with 82mm front thread. I have yet to see review / tests indicating it's performance characteristics) other than that the wide angle offerings for the 50MP Sony sensor are somewhat mediocre. It's a shame, seems like a superb sensor.

The Rodenstock HR-W lenses look good straight on though but like mentioned it's a shame to waste such large image circles.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I just checked Hasselblad's MTF-curves for the 24 and the 28. Really good, about the best I have seen.

Not so easy to compare with Rodenstock / Schneider as Hasselblad uses 10/20/40 lp/mm and Schneider and Rodenstock uses 15/30/60 lp/mm and the technical camera lenses obviously have larger image circles.

My bank account doesn't allow switching to Hasselblad H-series, unfortunately.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    The problem still remains. There is still no outstanding shift / tilt wide angle (in the 14-24mm 35mm equivalent focal lengths) solution for the Sony 50mp sensor regardless of platform.

There are some wide angle lens alternatives though. Hasselblad does have a nice 24mm lens available in H mount (and also a 28, both take filters in front of the lens) and of course Pentax has the new 28-45mm (very easy to filter with 82mm front thread. I have yet to see review / tests indicating it's performance characteristics) other than that the wide angle offerings for the 50MP Sony sensor are somewhat mediocre. It's a shame, seems like a superb sensor.

The Rodenstock HR-W lenses look good straight on though but like mentioned it's a shame to waste such large image circles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The problem still remains. There is still no outstanding shift / tilt wide angle (in the 14-24mm 35mm equivalent focal lengths) solution for the Sony 50mp sensor regardless of platform."

Ken, I was a bit confused on this. If I understand 35mm equivalent. There are several options that work on the 50MP Sony, in the digital back configuration.

Canon TS-E 24mm and 17mm, on either the Alpa FPS or the Hcam. Gerald has shown some excellent examples with the 17mm TS-E on the IQ250. These two lenses should also work on a Arca Universalis if one purchases the shutter and necessary electronics.

The Rodenstock 32mm HR-W should be very close to a 24mm 35mm equivalent and it seems to work well up to 10 to 15mm of shift depending on the image subject. This lens would work on a tech camera or Arca Universalis, and maybe the Cambo Actus for Digital backs.

The Rodenstock 23mm and 28mm both work on the IQ250/Credo 50 with a tech camera, and Voidshatter's test results in a different post on this site show that the 23 seems to do good up to 7.5mm to 10mm of rise, he did not check shift. These lenses won't work on the Universalis or Cambo solution due to the depth of the rear elements.

Guy's testing shows that the 40 HR-W seems OK up to 12mm, and can be pushed to 15mm again depending on the subject.

I may have missed your subject point on the 14-24 equivalents, looking for non tech lenses instead.

Paul

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

guy may not have the interest or the connections , but the real test would be to compare the Credo at $29,000 to the hasselblad CV50C at $15,000

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Connections are not the problem. Lol

Not sure it hit the streets yet
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

Received my Leaf 50 today.... couldn't be more thrilled. The crop is no big deal for me. Live view is unbelievable. I was able to shift/rise my 60mm Schneider XL 10mm without the need for an LCC. My only other wide is my 35mm Schneider XL which I'm sure I won't be able to shift at all..... but I couldn't on my IQ180 either. Your comments about the files being a little 'hot to the right' hit home. Slightly different from CCD. 50MP is very doable for a 40 inch print..... that's my average print so I know what things should look like when looking 'real' close. Very, very nice back.... and thanks to Dave at C1 for working with me.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome. Glad my review helped you, that's my end goal.

Dave is my personal GAS supplier. Hope you told him the review helped.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw my bet 7mm on your 35mm. Try it, let me know if I'm close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor might want to set you highlight level down to like 240 or so. That way if you hit it your too hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Awesome. Glad my review helped you, that's my end goal.

Dave is my personal GAS supplier. Hope you told him the review helped.
    I've worked with Dave for over 10 years..... he already knows you are the best....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm just waiting for a modification on the Cambo Aptus to try for the Sony. Looks like a fun tool. My next review

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to move this over to the review section so it's a permanent thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw my bet 7mm on your 35mm. Try it, let me know if I'm close.
    I am able to shift/rise a solid 5mm. 10 is a no go. 7 is really on the edge so I stay with 5mm. In reality its not the way I would use this lens. If I would need shift then it would be much easier to turn left to right a total of 30 degrees (15 degrees from center in each direction) in portrait position. This produces a pretty big file that can be easily cropped if needed.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor

Are you turning around a nodal point? I use the 35SK in this fashion also when I can shoot in a level position. The 35SK has about the same shift range on my 260 7 to 8 mm max. Love the lens for long day trips as its so light and very sharp.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul2660; 5th October 2014 at 16:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Victor

Are you turning around a nodal point? I use the 35SK in this fashion also when I can shoot in a level position. The 35SK has about the same shift range on my 260 7 to 8 mm max. Love the lens for long day trips as its do light and very sharp.

Paul
    Yes, Paul. I have the Nodal points calculated on all of my lenses and find rotation for this lens to be a better solution than using camera movements. PTGui is the best of the best, for me, and keeps files very crisp and lines very straight. Plus camera movements have a physical limitation and each lens has its own deterioration characteristics when shifting from center (as I'm sure you know). So its kind of like pick your poison..... for me Lens rotation is many times a better solution.

And..... you are so right about the 35XL. Its a great lens that doesn't get enough respect...

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    guy may not have the interest or the connections , but the real test would be to compare the Credo at $29,000 to the hasselblad CV50C at $15,000
    I think that live view will be noticeably better on the Credo.... but the Hassy will be so much better than CCD that it may be a moot point for some. Other than that they should be very similar.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Credo is like most modern DSLR with live view. Very good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks might want to visit these Stand out events in LA and SF to check this Credo 50 out.

Post Thanks / Like

Now before anyone says it, my Nikon can do that well there has NEVER been a Medium Format back in CCD that would even BE CLOSE to these results. Seriously the best I ever got and that was just acceptable was 800 and looked more like these 3200 or even 6400.

This is amusing. So you have pictures taken in a church at iso 1600. It just so happens that I also have pictures taken in a church at iso 1600, on an old H3D-31:

The full resolution is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerome...80473/sizes/o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a Phase P30 plus same sensor and it was about the best at high ISO but the Credo is still about 2 stops better when it comes to noise. Credo is really nice at ISO 3200 my p30 was about equal at 800. But you could not use either the H31 or the P30 on a tech cam. For there time they where great backs.

Post Thanks / Like

So, on the Digital Transitions IQ250 tech camera test, I believe it states they recommend using up to 70mm of image circle with the 32mm HR W. Am I right in thinking that's only 7.5mm of shift in one direction? Have others tested the 32 HR-W with this sensor and found better results, or am I miscalculating something? I ask because 12mm of rise / fall is all I'd need...

Post Thanks / Like

Just received my Credo 50 today. Really excellent battery life and Live view!!!
    Makes me want to stop using the Credo 80...

Post Thanks / Like

im very new to the MF world... but how come there is no mention of the Pentax 645z which also uses an sony 50MP sensor?
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Simply because it's not a MF back. Two different animals even though they share the same sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    So, on the Digital Transitions IQ250 tech camera test, I believe it states they recommend using up to 70mm of image circle with the 32mm HR W. Am I right in thinking that's only 7.5mm of shift in one direction? Have others tested the 32 HR-W with this sensor and found better results, or am I miscalculating something? I ask because 12mm of rise / fall is all I'd need...
    Hard to say but we need to remember this is a smaller sensor than full frame so the actual number will be higher than FF simply because you have more movement. for example given a lens can shift 7mm on full frame the equal movement on a smaller sensor maybe 12mm. Not exact numbers there.

Post Thanks / Like

Simply because it's not a MF back. Two different animals even though they share the same sensor.
    i see ! need to learn more about things larger than 35mm.....
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased a Credo 50 so thought I would chime in. I also own an IQ 180 and can comment on differences. Live view, live view, live view...... if you use it then this is a no brainer. No more disto's or HPF rings needed. A small loupe is all I use and I'm dead on. Do you want to tilt or swing? This back can show you where you are at in about 30 seconds. My dealer was very competitive in pricing and also actually talked me out of buying the Phase version. I don't use focus masks as I have never found them to be very useful or accurate. I don't need or use WIFI so the price difference between the Phase back and Credo 50 was fairly significant. Most important to me was the final file that I would print. I almost always print to 40 inches and didn't want to give up any quality compared to my IQ180. My final test was shooting a detailed image that included fine foliage and architectural elevations. I changed my shooting position with the IQ 180 to compensate for the crop factor of the Credo 50. I then chose a section of the images that included very fine detail and applied my usual workflow and printed crops of both at 40 inches. The only way I could see ANY difference was to use a 10X loupe and even then the differences were a dot here or there. For me it was worth every penny of my purchase price...... you gotta just use it to believe it...

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

I should add that shooting at ISO up to 1600 produces an extremely good file equally as good as a Nikon 800. I actually used my Alpa as a walk around with a 35XL shooting at ISO 1600..... a very liberating experience. All of this, of course, is common to any this series chip. I originally started this out with my dealer wanting to purchase the Hassy version of this back. I did as much research as I could regarding the live view of the Hassy version and the only mention I could find on the net was that the frame rate was about 1/3rd of the Phase/Credo versions. For me, that was enough to eliminate the Hassy.

About the only thing I would have liked to have seen on any of the Phase/Credo versions is 1/2 stop ISO settings. Should be very simple and would offer that added exposure flexibility without compromising image quality. Probably could be done with a firmware update.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

So, the question now for those that solely use technical cameras is which iteration of this sensor technology would you get? Phase / Leaf / Hasselblad CFV-50c?
    The Phase and Leaf have advantages for sure, but do they justify the price premium? Personally, if money were no object, the IQ250 is what I'd go for. But being rather strapped for cash, it's really hard to not seriously consider the CFV-50c, which – and correct me if I'm wrong – is nearly half the price of the Credo 50? I've had a friend in Japan enquire about buying one for me there as it's less than $10K USD!

Post Thanks / Like

We need a second (and possibly 3rd) camera/back for our studio and am very seriously considering this back (Credo-50).
    We already use and love our Credo80. We feel that either 2 Credo40's or 1 Credo50 will help our workflow nicely.
    The main reasons we want the Credo50 is three things:
    Real LIVE VIEW, Real LIVE VIEW, and most importantly...Real LIVE VIEW

Yes, I can get real LV from Canon dslr's, but not resolution, lenses, and file quality that my clients expect.
    Yes, I can get many (but not all) of the Credo50 features with the Pentax 645z but I am having serious difficulties finding one to demo. That means I would also have serious difficulties with support for the Pentax. So thats a deal breaker. I don't expect them to be available at my neighborhood Samy's, but come on!
    The PhaseOne IQ250 delivers but as a studio product shooter, I would rather pocket the $8K or so. Why would I need focus mask when I have real Live View?
    So that just leaves the option of two Credo40's for about the same as one Credo50...but not "real" LiveView...just a kind of noisy sketchy fuzzy 1.5fps reasonable facsimile of real Live View that is barely adequate for anything other than "oh it looks like our product is somewhere near the position in the layout, lets shoot a dozen composition-mode shots until we get it"...kindve thing (forget about using it for focus)....but, we'd have two of them and I really like redundancy...I really like redundancy

Tough decision, am excited to get my hands on the demo next week.
    Any thoughts on what any of you guys would do given that choice?

Yes, all my research points to Credo50 as being the way to go for our studio.
    The Credo80 will be kept for certain things like art repro and billboards, but someday, am hoping even that will be handled by the Credo50. We shall see.

Have you ever tried tethering to C1 and projecting the live view onto your computer monitor or large screen? That is going to be our gold standard test.
    We do that, not just for ourselves, but for the stylists and set builders and art directors also in the room.
    I attached some mini pics of how we do it now using the Credo-80 and a piggybacked Canon 5d2 with 45TSe to mimic 80SK on the Credo

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for review, This is very useful

Post Thanks / Like

Received cameras (both) today to demo.
    Initial impression is good, but some hiccups:
    Live View only works using USB connection, and no way to white balance in LV.
    These are minor things but I was really hoping for better LV. Still a little noisy, but miles ahead of the CCD backs!

file quality is excellent for our porpoises. No real difference between IQ and Credo I can figure yet. More when I get the chance. Shot art with it today and my studio manager did most of the evaluation as I am buried under a literal mountain of post on multi-layered files that exceed 4-10 GB's in size. (They wanted big, they pay for big, they get big)

I spoke to dealers and researched (albeit briefly), and those two factors were confirmed. They did say that a fix may come down the line for the WB during LV thwartage.
    Also, I haven't researched yet, but we were having difficulty shooting while in LV. I hope that's just a lack of knowledge on my part.
    Focus assist in C1-v8 was a delightful surprise, I like it more than focus mask only in the IQ.
    We are a very "large screen projection" dependent studio, having pioneered many of the implementations of the techniques for our clients over 10 years ago. (Just in time for my doctor telling me the warranty on my eyesight had expired

Just going in for round two today, I wish I could dedicate a whole day or more to testing but it's just not in the cards for me.
    Absolutely buried here.

I really appreciate the review you did, Guy. It is a ton of work, I know!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of screen grabs for now. Sorry folks, long day again

Raw Files Dropbox

We found that the IQ250 tends to shoot, right out of the gate at any rate, more accurate color and better detail in highlights and shadows, not as good as the Credo in micro contrast and mid tones...all probably easy to correct;and it looks like a light on the left misfired on the IQ250 capture, but I found it interesting...
    Check out those highlights and fur detail in the IQ250! Also, that chestnut color on the one boot in the middle, the IQ nails it while the Credos have issues with warm colors for some reason...I really want to use the profile from the IQ250 on the Credo 80.....why can't I?
    Last edited by Egor; 6th November 2014 at 21:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Our final conclusion after having 3 backs in the studio for a few days is that for us, and product shooting in particular, we found the IQ 250 to be more neutral in its color, of better build quality (fairly intangible and really just a gut feeling working with the backs), and then there is the little differences that kind've put PhaseOne over the top, as long as you don't mind paying extra (a lot extra, btw) this includes better faster innovation implementation from the top tiers of the brand, wifi on the IQ250 which our stylists may like, focus mask in LiveView, and on the iQ250 a 5 year warranty/loaner program on all components including camera and lens, which is huge in our business.

All that having been said it's a tough decision between IQ and Credo, both are outstanding systems and we have been very successful using the Credo80 so...tough decision;
    Whichever CMOS system we end up buying this round, Credo vs IQ, we will compensate for the crop sensor by buying a 75-150 focal plane zoom and picking up a used 55-110 Mamiya AF to cover our range and further enhance production time spent moving the camera...I tried to look at the new 40-80 zoom but couldn't see it because there was a huge price tag in front of it blocking my view but the 40-80 would be more optimum. I could cancel Christmas bonuses for my crew and get it...but it might make for a hostile workplace environment.
    BUT make no mistake, CMOS is better for production commercial photography studios like ours in every way that is measurable.
    There is almost 0 difference in file quality, with a slight edge to CMOS which is icing on the cake.
    I do think for studios like ours; CCD sensors will go the way of film and be relegated to rich hipsters with lots of time on their hands
    (Just kidding, poking fun at some of my friends)
    Last edited by Egor; 8th November 2014 at 05:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most times these do come down to functions, service/ repair and all of those decisions to be made are part of buying into a system. This is a classics case of what I always preach. Buy a system not a camera. It's a total package and for commercial shooters its till final delivery of images. Great stuff

For me I love seeing Pros like myself figure out solutions that work best for them.