Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leaf Credo 50 Review by Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Leaf Credo 50 Review by Guy Mancuso

Hello Everyone,

This is a new day in medium format photography and we actually have a revolutionary product come to digital Medium Format photography. The days of CCD sensors just maybe be numbered or not. Market will determine that one but today a new breed is among the community a new Sony Fabricated 50 MPX sensor being used by Leaf/Mamiya, Phase, Hassy and Pentax. They all share the same basic sensor but lets be clear they all design there sensors for there needs and add the algorithms to each brand to what each brand feels is the best setup for there backs. I think its safe to assume though that in basic terms these CMOS sensors will perform very similar in Image Quality. I think mostly we may see color renditions diffrently and things like that. Coming from 5 CCD sensors myself all within the Phase brand with 2 Kodak and 3 Dalsa CCD sensors we have differences on output of file. I came from a P25plus, P30 Plus, P40 plus, IQ 140 and a IQ 160. They all rendered differently for sure but now we have CMOS sensors all with the same basic charactoristics and we will focus more on feature sets and functionality between the brands. Let me be very clear here I am more interested in this review of CMOS itself than between brands. Now having said that I am thrilled to have the Leaf Credo 50 to use as a test bed for the future. This is one very nice back by a brand that has been in the industry for many many years and a world class leader in it as well. So when Francis Westfield from Mamiya/Leaf contacted me to spend a day with him and the Credo I said "I do" without question. LOL

Francis is one of those guys in the industry you just like spending time with and very knowledgeable and knows the industry very well plus a really nice guy to hang with. So first I want to give kudos to him and Mamiya/ Leaf for this opportunity for me to review the Credo. Secondly my next phone call was to Capture Integration my dealer since day one in MF for me and they loaned my a Alpa STC tech cam and 40 roadie and could not jump fast enough to get it out the door for me to work with. Again folks this is the Medium Format industry with dealers and representatives that you will not find anywhere else in the photo community. These guys are special and want to help in anyway they can. I bought all 5 backs from CI and I would never buy another without that dealer support. Thats me , thats the way I roll.

So Francis flew into Phoenix and we drove up to a town in Northern Arizona called Jerome which is a old copper mining town. Also I placed a call to our own Bob Freund here at GetDPI to join us for the day. Not sure anyone knows the story but Bob ran out of gas with his snowblower in Massachusetts and like any self respecting man decided to sell it the house and all that goes with it and move to a better climate. He now resides here in Arizona with his wife. The Honey Badger is semi retired now and enjoying his new digs.

Here is a video now to introduce them and the Credo 50. At the end of this video I mentioned Francis doing a section on the menus. Due to technical difficulties I do not have that clip. Maybe better said Im a freaking idiot and screwed it up. **** happens

https://vimeo.com/107647117

My disclaimer. I like to save this to last as I feel it is important. Just for the record no one pays me to do these reviews i have no affiliation with anyone but done purely on friendship, desire to learn and being a huge part of this industry for close to 40 years. I feel its my duty to help others in the business and more importantly to help end users learn about products that we buy and use. I do these to the best of my abilities and experience and they are clearly my opinion and my opinion only. Im here to report my findings and that is all I am here to do.

Images Posted and Uploaded

All Images posted are bearing my copyright and all raws uploaded for end users to use are restricted to only placing them up here on GetDPI and on no other forum. No exceptions folks. I can't support my findings on other sites that I don't visit. I believe that is unfair to the review and also to the OEMs of these products if I cannot answer on what I did or how they make there products. But please download the raws and process them to your taste and report whatever findings you have. Thats how we all learn but i do want it all here. Capice
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 1st October 2014 at 05:12.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leaf Credo 50 Review by Guy Mancuso

Lets get on with it already. LOL

I did happen to shoot both the DF+ camera with a 55mm LS when I was with Francis and afterwords i used the Alpa tech cam. I should note here that I did do a critical firmware upgrade to the back just yesterday morning 9/29 and all backs going into production will have the new firmware nothing was mentioned but some feature sets. Nothing to concern yourself with and nice to see they are improving it more going into production. Pretty typical on new release products
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 19:06.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HIGH ISO

I think one of the main reasons to be looking at the Credo 50 and other CMOS backs is finally the ability to shoot these at higher ISO's. Something in all honesty we were not able to get past even the mid ISO with CCD backs. This is very exciting and I am seeing some very positive results here. I know we all have a level of noise tolerance on what is acceptable and what is not. I can say we took a huge leap forward by several if not more stops. It feels like the Nikon, Canon, Sony range that we have enjoyed. So lets get into that out of the gate.

I was actually getting organized but I asked Francis to run this series inside the church in Jerome and its pretty representative of low light shooting. I also ran a test in my kitchen today as a secondary backup with a tech cam.

Here the DF+ was used with a 55MM LS lens at F10

FULL FRAME ISO 1600 SHOT. NOW I LEFT EVERYTHING AT DEFAULT SO LUMINANCE, DETAIL AND COLOR ARE ALL AT 50 IN C18. I ONLY PUT SHARPNESS AT 190, .6,1 AND JUST HIT THE HIGHLIGHT DOWN A TOUCH. THE WHOLE SERIES IS EXACTLY THE SAME.

We can certainly do some work when we get to the higher ISO to reduce noise even further but for this test I left noise settings at default and you folks can play with that with the raws.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 14:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now before anyone says it, my Nikon can do that well there has NEVER been a Medium Format back in CCD that would even BE CLOSE to these results. Seriously the best I ever got and that was just acceptable was 800 and looked more like these 3200 or even 6400.

This is huge and I am using defaults here. Lets go play

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something to play with I did raise the luminance on it.

But here are the Raws. They have a limited time period so download now

https://www.hightail.com/dl?phi_acti...107522af5c52e6
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 12:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To save a little time. Here is a Kitchen series High ISO test but I only did ISO 100,400,1600,3200 and 6400. I did shoot the tech cam here

Here is a ISO 100 image focus your attention when looking at the raws towards the microwave and back cabinets for noise attributes.

Again here are the Raws

https://www.hightail.com/download/Ul...UnFwTVhLd01UQw
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 19:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Live View. Wahoo!!!

Outside of High ISO MF digital never really had live view worth anything like the 35mm folks with CMOS sensors. Folks this is a major breakthrough in MF backs to say the least. We been crying, begging and pleading for it since I can remember and now we finally have it but more important its excellent. From a guy that loves to shoot a tech cam this is just huge. No more GUESSING at your focusing, No more ground glass, viewfinders, Leica Disto's , Alpa HPF rings and being a math major to run a Arca. More important you can focus , compose, have 100 magnification and focus like a normal camera and the most important benefit shoot a image KNOWING that you nailed it. All I have done through this whole testing the last week or so is use Live View both on the DF+ and the Alpa Tech cam. Yes even the DF+ I never looked through the optical finder to focus and compose. I can't tell you enough how nice this feature really is after owning 5 backs I finally know whats truly going on the sensor at the time of capture.

Now being a former D800e owner and currently a Sony owner the live view is pretty much exactly like the Nikon D800E . It looks very similar, acts the same and makes focusing a much easier task focusing either with the DF+ or a tech cam. For tech cam users all the money you save on NOT buying those accessories can go directly to that lens you really want. On the Credo 50 its very easy to get too you hit the top left button than the Live View Icon on screen and its there for tech cam users (need to open your lens) and for DF+ users you hit the Live View icon and the mirror goes up and out of the way. When your done you hit the left top button again and your in shooting mode. Very simple elegant way to go about it with either a DF+ or Tech cam. This is a huge selling point to these backs the High ISO ability and Live View I feel are the biggest feature sets.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 14:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dynamic Range

Goes without saying these MF sensors have a tremendous amount of DR and always have over other systems. Now with CMOS we are at that same level or better and its really nice to be able to open up a image and also knock down those highlights to pull it all back in line.

Here is a simple example of that which Francis shot in the church. Shot at ISO 800

Straight out of the camera in C1

Now just working the file with shadow and highlight recovery you have so much elbow room to correct the blown highlights while doing some shadow lifting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase DF+ with 55mm LS lens

Just going to load a few images shot at ISO 100 in outdoor light. I processed these to what I thought looked normal but as you can see when you play with the raws there is a lot of work you can add to it like shadow recovery and pull out a lot of detail in the shadow areas. Im trying to get you all involved with this review and get your processing these files to your liking so you understand them better. i can talk to Im blue in the face but unless you actually see the raws than you just get a better idea of this Credo 50. I wish I did not mess up the menu video as this back is very simple to use and has some really easy to read without your reading glasses menus. I suggest looking at their website for more info on that or better yet visit your dealer for a demo.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 19:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oops have a ISO 800 shot first

The rest are ISO 100 at my favorite car junkyard in Jerome. All shot with the DF+ and 55mm LS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The color as you can see is outstanding and the files are really just amazing as you can see. 100 percent views are just awesome and I will upload these Raws as well.

Im very impressed at this point with the back and more importantly my attitude towards CMOS sensors has improved dramatically. Truth be told I did not expect these kinds of finished results from a Gen 1 50 mpx sensor. So have to give Leaf a lot of credit for making this back shine.

RAWS OF THE LAST SEVERAL SHOTS

https://www.hightail.com/download/Ul...Z1BGR0UxZXNUQw
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 16:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks due to some maintenance on the site in the next day or so I decided to go live with this review. I will continue to add a lot more data but this gives folks a chance to start downloading files and me a chance to continue on but I am going to lock the thread just to preserve the flow until I get more data up. Than i will unlock it and you all can start posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tech Cam Section

Wanted to start with these shots as they are with the Alpa 12 STC cam with a 40mm Rodie lens. Now the Alpa STC does either left to right stitch or rise and fall but it does not do both at once . So to do this I had to tilt the whole camera back and I will fix in CS6 after the fact. There are ways around this but it involves Panning and I wanted to shift for this test.

Now I did here a 15mm 3 shot vertical stitch. left, Center and Right. These first Image are done without LCC corrections to specifically show the lens falloff . This is really not a back issue but simply a Image circle issue and running out of it. This will all correct very nicely when applying the LCC corrections to it but this is what the fall off is doing at 15mm.

Now after LCC corrections and stitching in CS6 I come up with exactly this

After fixing the perspective which crops off some image and again this is a camera limitation not a back

Than after all that I decided to step back as far as i could to fill the frame with a straight non stitched shot. Now your wondering why I could not do this from the other side. Cow Pies all over the place and Im not stepping in that stuff. I have a 8 week old puppy in the house creating pies of her own. But as you can see the blue sky looks pretty close to the straight shot. Edit wanted to add i did do a 5mm rise on the straight shot. No LCC for it at 5mm I believe you can get away without one

Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 1st October 2014 at 05:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a faint purple cast on the left side and I am noticing this on 18mm stitch shots as well. Im not exactly sure what this is and why. First thoughts would be too far a stitch for a 40mm Rodie, I could be doing something wrong with processing as well. So again Im loading up the raws both the image raws and LCC raws and let you folks have a stab at this. Honestly its been awhile since I did LCC so I could very well be missing something. I will say it is less severe than the 18mm stitch shots so it could very well be a limitation of the lens and its falloff at 15 and 18mm. Maybe 12mm is the max

I don't want to dwell on it because it really is not a back function per say. It maybe be a combination of body, lens, processing and back. But I am bringing it up so we are all aware. Something on the left and not on the right has me baffled. But i have seen this on CCD sensors as well my IQ 160 for instance with a SK 28mm

Here are the raws for that series. I included the straight 40mm shot as well

https://www.hightail.com/dl?phi_acti...3700b072836259
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 17:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im just going to post the final stitch shots here on out as you folks that download them can see the falloff and such and i will keep loading up each sets of Raws. This is a lot of work doing these type of reviews. I like to keep everything on the table so you can make smart decisions on these systems and see exactly what I have done. I hope this helps folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is another 3 shot vertical stitch but this time I went as far as the Alpa would go to the extremes of 18mm in either direction. I should point out all of these corners are very good and fair warning viewing these files at 100 percent will make your wallet scream for mercy. There that damn good

raws for this series

https://www.hightail.com/download/Ul...QVNQb0tFQk1UQw
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 30th September 2014 at 17:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got a note this morning from our friends at Leaf with a suggestion to use the LF4 Landscape profile. It takes some of the Magenta/UV hue out of the sky and makes Blues and Greens a bit more saturated. Regarding stitching we can see on the LCC shots that it has been shifted a bit too far but even then the results are very good I think.

I’ve attached jpeg from my take on the two stitched images. I basically left some of the vignetting in, changed the profile and tweaked shadows and NR a bit

I also used local purple fringe brush to clean some of the edges on the fitness centre image

Here is Yair's take on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im going to run out this morning before Rod Klukus from Arca comes to pick it up for his tests and try it at 12mm shift on either side of center. My reasoning is I think 12mm is it and from Jack and Bob owning this lens i thought 12mm was the case even with CCD sensors. This is just me being anal so Im going to run out and try it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another example at 18mm shift in either direction I used the landscape profile and its pretty clean but going to go back and try 12mm. Like I said early reason for the raws is you folks might see something I am not in the processing. But i want to point out something these images i am not seeing smearing in the corners so the lens is performing at these shifts. I also reside maybe on the brightest sun on the planet. Its hell out here, not sure what effect that maybe having.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a straight single shot with 5mm of rise no LCC. Look at that detail. Remember this is 14 mpx more than my Sony and i can't even get close to this detail.

I also included this in the raws although its the next frame it is the same

Raws are here

https://www.hightail.com/download/Ul...eWFlcEo3czlVag

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh hope you got your diffusion glasses on this is going to hurt

this one really is killer

My new digs if I buy one of these , this is what my wife will pick out for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot with about 5 mm of rise on the 40mm . Here is a good color checker shot you can use with pretty much all the outdoor morning shots as there around the same timing

this one with a LCC correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Running out of time for testing but I did sneak in a 1 minute exposure. The darkest room in the house with a window light. Pardon all the baby stuff but thats from my daughters baby shower and there is so much stuff we had to use a whole room in the house for her, you don't even want to see whats on the floor. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I have some images left to upload but I will open up the thread now and let everyone post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My thoughts

I have many thoughts here and will continue to add as we discuss this new Credo 50. First again thanks for everyone involved and Leaf for putting out a revolutionary CMOS back out that has really not been done before. I really like this back and I seriously would buy one. I love the live view, frankly not sure I could be without one and having this high ISO ability is just outstanding.

Now one thing I have noticed over CCD backs is my highlight warnings tend to come up a little earlier than expected so we may need to rethink this expose to the right of the histogram. Here is why with the noise floor so high here with outstanding high ISO we have a tremendous amount of noise floor to pull up the shadows to get amazing detail out of it without added noise that we get sometimes with CCD backs so you maybe better off protecting your highlights a little more and leaving yourself some elbow room. That statue shot Francis took is really a touch over the edge and I am pulling the highlight recovery to full max but i had plenty of shadow recovery. My suggestion is stay close to the middle of the histo than trying to stretch to the far right too much.

Now that maybe the nature of CMOS and even with my Sonys and Nikons you really need to watch the highlights. So i believe this is pretty normal for CMOS. Color on this Credo 50 is far better than I thought it would be , folks thats just Leaf they are so damn good at color and in my mind the best of the MF people. I see the hate mail coming but lets be honest Leaf color has alway been outstanding and there engineers are the brightest in the business. No secret here its just fact.

The menu layout and Im still shooting myself over losing that video clip but its a very simple back with nice operations and readability to it and I love the touch screen.

They also improved the locking mechanisms to the back to the body with a 1 slide and 1 push operation that really takes the sweat away. I can't tell how nice knowing your not going to blow it with the old one push operation. This is basically a safety catch from losing a crap load of money on a fall. Kudos and major one at that

I will come up with more comments its still very early in the day and I need MORE espresso. Have fun and enjoy this review i really hope I gave you enough to think about and help in any decision process but seriously I would buy this if I was in the market and no I already tossed my name in the hat for a long term 1 to 2 year user review. Leaf ???LOL

I really miss the MF world and someday hope to back at it. But until than i can drive myself crazy playing and reviewing these systems and hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I missed any raws please let me know but you have about 6 days to download so get on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing is battery life , its far better with the CMOS sensors and i have gone maybe through 1 batteries worth on all of this. Thats really good to have

Im going to go put my head back down than run out and shoot some 12mm shifts this morning. Im just being anal about this but I do think 15mm and 18mm shifts are really pushing the lens image circle. I have more single shot images to post as we go and I do have from another photographers portrait shots at high ISO that are really nice to see. Just waiting for his name to give him credit but Leaf does have permission to use them in my review. As a working Pro I can tell you want premission to post others work. Trust me i will sue someones arch if they did it to me without it. LOL

Photgrapher name is
    Photographer: Pete Albert
    Model Rachel: Gearhart

So I will get those up today and they are very nice images that show the high ISO off very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

Thanks for the review and access to the raw files.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Guy

Thanks for the review and access to the raw files.

Paul
    You are welcome my friend and i know your very interested in the new CMOS tech for MF and I do hope this helps you a great deal. Please tell us your thoughts as you go on with the processing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW something I did not mention was sensor size it is not full frame but like the Credo 40, P40 Plus and IQ 140. I had the two later backs the P40 and IQ 140 and it never really bothered me, I know for some it does and I can understand the wide angle lose of precious MM but in some cases when lens corner sharpness is not at its best than a crop sensor just escapes that issue. So for some its a tough call to get lees than full frame but there are benefits as well.

When I went from the P40+ to the IQ 160 I agonized over this decision maybe more than anything else ever in photography. In the end I went full frame but I was not that convinced and why i took so long to make that call. This one is a personal preference decision but we may or may not see a bigger CMOS sensor, I don't have a answer for the future backs.

Post Thanks / Like

I also agonize of the crop factor. Its a big deal especially when I take my 80MP images and crop down to 50MP. I don't care so much about throwing away the pixels as I can easily work with 50MP but its the REALLY big step back that I have to take for equivalent FOV. I don't want to replace lenses just for this back. The FF chip will be here soon enough. What would have been the ideal for me is FF 50MP with fatter pixels.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

You mentioned battery life being better...... I'm assuming that live view doesn't suck the life out of the batteries as much as CCD because of the power efficiency of the CMOS chip. Can you comment?

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor I think with all the live view going on you will equal a CCD without it or better. So in effect your still running very well on batteries and in this whole review I used it constantly . So its a pretty big battery saver overall. I mean I would still take 3 batteries for the day of shooting just because its safe to do but I don't think you will actually use them. Great question.

I can tell you this it's far better than my Sony A7r which is a pig on battery life. Battery is just too small.

These are the same batteries leaf and Phase use today

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I also agonize of the crop factor. Its a big deal especially when I take my 80MP images and crop down to 50MP. I don't care so much about throwing away the pixels as I can easily work with 50MP but its the REALLY big step back that I have to take for equivalent FOV. I don't want to replace lenses just for this back. The FF chip will be here soon enough. What would have been the ideal for me is FF 50MP with fatter pixels.

Victor
    Agree its a tough call but stitching can help too. It will depend also if your willing to wait it out. I personally I'm not that patient. I honestly don't know if FF is even in the plans.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the MF users think that a larger sensor gives more of the "MF look"(tm) in terms of depth of field and more subtle qualities of lens rendering when you work with portrait photography.

As a tech cam user I don't have eyes for that, but it does seem to be real to many.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, crashed Safari on my iPad twice from all the images.

Victor
    This really would be pretty interesting to see, if Leica could stitch a couple M240 sensors for Bond, Sony could do it too to get 40x54mm, probably not until they make their own camera though. Lots of rumors about an RX1 style camera with this sensor in it.

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Some of the MF users think that a larger sensor gives more of the "MF look"(tm) in terms of depth of field and more subtle qualities of lens rendering when you work with portrait photography.

As a tech cam user I don't have eyes for that, but it does seem to be real to many.
    I have a lot of books on photography from the 19th century and other early times, and it's a look you can clearly see being used, although the film sizes used were often large format. I don't think its something that's clear unless you compare very different format sizes.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

curve ball here, but any comments on the Credo 50 vs the phase IQ250?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speak of the devil... We have our Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 Open House today in Manhattan.

Ziv and Francis (Mamiya Leaf US) and several Credo 50 backs, and a plethora of example raw files are on hand.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is a large number of raw files called?

A pod of whales...
    A flight of swallows...

A binary of raws?
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    I have a lot of books on photography from the 19th century and other early times, and it's a look you can clearly see being used, although the film sizes used were often large format. I don't think its something that's clear unless you compare very different format sizes.
    I too have studied some about this, (Hollywood's Glamour & Noir Portraits, George Hurrell, Clarence Bull, Laszlo Willinger, and more) and it is a combination of camera format (large format film), lenses, and the continuous lighting used on the film sets of the time, most notably fresnel type focusing spotlights. Dramatic black and white portraits with very distinct light and shadows.

Guy thanks for the helpful review!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    curve ball here, but any comments on the Credo 50 vs the phase IQ250?
    I would think that the differences are teeny tiny if any...... other than focus confirmation, which I have not found all that useful and don't use. Much easier to check focus with a loupe at 100% pixels on the back.

I will have a Credo 50 on Friday and look much more forward to comparing it to my IQ180..... especially color and DR. I already know that live view will be a killer improvement.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did use a 65 dollar hoodman loupe . Far better than the 2 grand you would spend on all those focusing aids we use.

Heading out to shoot 12 mm shifts.

Post Thanks / Like

A useful contribution?

Anyway, those raw images are helpful to see how the files respond to sharpening, noise reduction and so on. They also handsomely illustrate how good that Rodenstock HR lens really is. The Mamiya 55LS in the church shot, I would say it shows some weakness in the corners and also edges.

Best regards
    Erik
    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    What is a large number of raw files called?

A pod of whales...
    A flight of swallows...

A binary of raws?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would think that the differences are teeny tiny if any...... other than focus confirmation, which I have not found all that useful and don't use. Much easier to check focus with a loupe at 100% pixels on the back.

I will have a Credo 50 on Friday and look much more forward to comparing it to my IQ180..... especially color and DR. I already know that live view will be a killer improvement.

Victor
    That would be fun to see. I wish I had the Credo 40 when I did this test. Be nice to see any differences between the sensors. The credo goes away at 10 am so I better get moving here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    A useful contribution?

Best regards
    Erik
    Agree this was a lot of work so hope we learn from it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heck this actually cost me 59 dollars to upgrade my Vimeo account.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor
    I agree, the 1.3 crop for me a huge deal. Loss of 10MP pixels, is also a consideration, but not as much as the crop. I mainly shoot with the 28, 40 Rodie and the 60XL, and all of these lenses will be effected considerably.

As Guy points out, the 1.3 crop does however give you full resolution all the way to edges where I will start to sometimes see a bit of softness on full 15mm shifts with a 60MP back.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also sorry for no real artistic shots. These are tests with lots of color but hopefully soon I can get one and do some personal shooting with one. I think you all need to send a letter to Leaf and get me a one year long term loaner test bed. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Guy. Cant wait until they come out with a full frame CMOS for MF.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams