Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: There here. P40+, P45+ and my P30+ Oh My

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: There here. P40+, P45+ and my P30+ Oh My

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    BTW the crop sort of works in your favor with the 28mm it is sharp to the corners without adding corner sharpness. I will show that as well.
    that's certainly true.
    With the 28mm and the 1.3 crop you get roughly the same field of view as with a 35mm and the 1.1 crop. My Contax 35mm is very good at the edges of the P45 with 1.1 crop.
    For some reason I feel that the difference from full frame to crop 1.1 is not that limiting. Whilst the difference of crop 1.3 compared to crop 1.1 is.
    Whatever...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And the corner sharpness really does work. I actually like the space around the frame . I do wish they would make the lines darker though so I can clearly see the framing. Like to see Mamiya make some new screens with a microprism in it for manual focus and darker frame lines.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's see how this looks . Now color again kind of different so on this one let's not worry to much about it , I just tried to match as much as I can without getting into WB. One thing of note the P40 highlight warning is coming up sooner than the Kodak backs. So here I did recover just the highlights slightly. I'm more looking at the shadow area and how far it is seeing in. Also ignore the obvious vignetting on the P45 that is my hood which is NOT the original lens hood for the 45mm.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting as we have seen the P30 is a little pink anyway a good example of the framing between the backs , I did not move here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bored Yet. Sorry I know this stuff can be boring

Let's try color here I DID WB these from the second grey patch in . All with the 28mm at F11. Will show you some corners after this also. Note the color differences between the backs now. Pretty interesting how it gets rendered when WB . I did pick all outdoor profiles for each back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In all honesty besides features and such . This maybe the biggest differences in the backs and how it renders color. BTW I hit the WB in the P40 and did not move. The P40 acts differently with daylight and it stays at 5500 kelvin period and the Kodaks do not they come in around 4300 which going by accuracy of the setting made the P40 is correct , Daylight IS 5500 kelvin. So when working with the different backs we have to keep this in mind.

Bottom line is when you set a setting it should stay at that setting the Kodaks are acting like AWB and not sticking to there numbers of the setting. Workshop members take note of this next week. You need to be aware of this when you get anyone of these backs on how they are working. To me the P40+ given the true kelvin of daylight is correct, regardless of the color of light pouring in the scene.. Big WARNING here to take note of

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Note to all the P45 looks crunchier in color or more saturated. So it is a nice look outdoors as it has great saturation BUT it maybe wise to back the saturation off also. Obviously this depends squarely on the look you are after as well. We have to separate accuracy from visually appealing. It may look awesome which it does but not truly accurate. Which is fine but something again to be aware of. Now no one has 3 different backs in there arsenal either and once you get to know the back you own than comparisons meaning nothing. Just a matter of getting to know your back and how it renders. Frankly I would be happy with any of these backs in my bag, no question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My personal preference in this scene and this is me talking is I like the P30 it has a fine balance of saturated blue sky without going overboard . FYI you can see WHY I DON"T use a polarizer in AZ.

But most accurate maybe the P40. Now here is where color editor can play a major role in your images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now this maybe a bit unfair since i am nowhere near focusing on the left bottom plane in the image and at F11. I am really focused about 15 ft or more out but I will show it anyway just for FYI . Extreme left corner with the P45 . Now the P40 and P30 is is not even a issue because of the crop but here is the 45 using corner sharpness. Now if I was closer to this plane of focus it would be more obvious

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should have on the next test a more accurate focus plane for the corners. back in a bit

BTW all sensors are loaded with dust so need to clean them before we leave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm I actually may have found a bug in C1 . Okay under the WB menu the mode pull down on the P45 and P30 when I select daylight it comes in at 4300 Kelvin which I have been talking about , now if I select as shot it comes in 5500 kelvin. NOW on the P40 either way daylight or as shot it is 5500.

Doug can you try this and see what is up and what would be correct on how the software is supposed to render this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Bud,

Those P45+ files totally ROCK!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love ya too bud. They do no question. I like all three backs so that is not even a thought. The P30 or 40 just fit me better but you still can't beat a 45 for what it does well. Equal yes but that 1 hour exposure time is a handy dandy plus for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your P30+ has one hour too, doesn't it?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Better example of the 28mm corner. I am focused much closer to the corner and F16 also. Unsharpened corner than sharpened. P45 file

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Better example of the 28mm corner. I am focused much closer to the corner and F16 also. Unsharpened corner than sharpened. P45 file
    is that in the focus plane and is that what the 28mm is capable of? looks like my Digitar 47XL at full 20mm shift on the P45...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am actually focused at about 10 ft past this

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks to me like the wider FoV for the P45+ has changed the exposure a bit, and the above P45+ file is about 1/3 to 1/2 stop lower exposure than the P30+/40+ ??? Also looks like the P40+ is more saturated on reds and less on blues, or basically what we saw with the P65+ too...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Jack they certainly have a different look to them and something to think about when making a purchase. Obviously you can tweak anything but sometimes we like things out of the can like you want to start with. Personal preference and that is the difference I see from a image standpoint. Not counting any features

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just did a little speed test on the P40+ . How faster can you shoot

Okay back set at Sensor + in S format for one full minute on continuous shooting, I got 82 frames but I did hit a buffer about 4 times for like 2 seconds each. Maybe did not hit the first buffer until I got to about 42 shots.

Full Res files in S format never hit a buffer I got 61 frames off.

If I ever shoot that fast i will remind my client they are not paying me enough. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last test for now until we get on the road. Really need to clean the sensors and pack everything up . So here just playing with the kelvin temp tried to get as close as I could to each other. Certainly different profiles for the Kodak and Dalsa. Take some time to get better acquainted with that as we continue on and see how to get the best from each. Anyway all 28mm lens at F16. Again I know this stuff is boring but if we can take something away from it than it certainly helps understand these backs and that was my goal. Also a little self serving as well for myself since i own the P30+ i want to see what the new P40+ does and brings to the table. Hopefully that helps everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Obviously these are different in look and one maybe looks better than the other but right now i would not judge so hard because being a new back I need to understand how to tweak it they way I like or the way you like it. I see one favors green and the other favors red. Like our film days there is Ekatchrome and there is Kodachrome. Nice thing about digital is you can make it anyway you want in processing. Thanks for tuning in and more coming this week

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your efforts, Guy. It's great to see these comparisons. Web files are web files, but there is still a lot we can glean from all of this.

(I always preferred Kodachrome for my color stuff, so still like the look of the Kodak sensor. heehee )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh some stuff i forgot to mention and a little help from Doug.

Other little things:
    - Flip Down Firewire Guard (good for landscape shooters who never tether)
    - Virtual horizon (when used with the cube it makes two axis leveling extremely fast and accurate. With a cube you level, rotate 90 degrees, level, and return to station; takes 10 seconds and is VERY accurate for rotate-and-stitch-panoramic.
    - Zero latency for tech cameras (no wakeup cable); great for handholding with a travel camera like the cambo compact or alpa TC and less hassle when shooting a full sized tech camera

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

Thanks for taking the time to test all of the Phase One DBs and posting your images. I can't wait to see what everyone posts from your workshop! Have a great time!

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Chris and thanks for getting all this stuff out to me ahead of the workshop. I found out Doug has a surprise for us also a P65+ . So now we have the whole Phase line with us on the workshop. Should be a lot of fun and hopefully a lot of great images will be shot and posted. Great experience for the attendees to try out this gear and get a first hand chance to work with it both with technical camera's and the Phase bodies

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy I think that P45+'s chip needs a good clean:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly does Yair it was pretty bad. I cleaned them all yesterday. Good to see you again hope all is well. Many rumors floating about Leaf , i hope all is well in that area. We need this market to be stable. Please keep us posted on any developments.

plupcoutrielo

There here P40 P45 and my P30 Oh My

Thanks for your comments. I agree that the home page is long, but I dont mind too much if people dont get to the bottom, the information there is not essential and there are links to the rates and availability from the buttons at the top.

I take your point about the background. It is

Post Thanks / Like

Great post - lots of interesting info. Saw a couple of posts that mentioned doing long exposure testing on the P40+. Im interested in seeing how noise is handled (without any post processing) as exposure times increase (e.g. 10 secs -> 30 secs). Has anyone experience of this, or posted the results somewhere on the web? Thanks in advance.

toramip23

It's a mix of high MPX back with fast shooting speeds and high ISO. Couple things it does not need a wake up cable for a tech camera but it does have a limit of 1 minute according to specs. Something we will try is longer exposure times as well.

Post Thanks / Like

A little late to comment but nevertheless thanks Guy for posting all this. As to noise i did some tests with p30 (non plus) against p40+ and in the 200-800iso range p30 easily beats p40+, although at 800iso p30 is not that good.