Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuji FinePix X100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fuji FinePix X100

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Except that there really isn't anything slow about focusing with a Leica . . faster than CDAF in many circumstances anyway!
    I agree that RF focusing can be fast given the right eyes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I agree that RF focusing can be fast given the right eyes.
    My eyes are standard 'old git' eyes (i.e. longsighted), not perfect - I can even focus okay without glasses, it just 'feels' right - I think it's mostly practice, it's no good shooting a few hundred shots a year and expecting to be good at it.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Except that there really isn't anything slow about focusing with a Leica . . faster than CDAF in many circumstances anyway!
    I believe you. I focused manually for 40 years and never worried about it. Focusing only became a challenge when I bought my first AF camera (the S3). It's mostly a question of what we see in the viewfinder. This is one of the reasons why I'm buying the RX. It's the best viewfinder for manual focusing I've used (also compared to my OM-cameras, I've checked), at least this side of medium format.

So if Fuji could equip their hybrid viewfinder with a electronic focusing patch like in a rangefinder camera, that would really be something, wouldn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still no interchangeable lenses

Fujifilm has released more details of its Finepix X100.
    Seems like they didn't add a mount for interchangeable lenses.
    What a pity

http://www.finepix-x100.com/latest-updates

Post Thanks / Like

I find Ricoh GXR more interesting than Fuji X100. With an exception of a viewfinder its much more flexible fixed lens camera. that is if you don't think it as a system but am option to choose your lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: still no interchangeable lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Fujifilm has released more details of its Finepix X100.
    Seems like they didn't add a mount for interchangeable lenses.
    What a pity

http://www.finepix-x100.com/latest-updates
    But they did explain why they didn't; size and image quality seems to be their reasons, both for the fixed lens and it being a non-zoom. I have no problems with that. It is what it is, and if it sells, they might come up with something more in the future.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one am glad they're sticking with a fixed lens mount. It affords more opportunity to optimize a particular lens and sensor, a particular camera, as a package. It's not a solution for everyone or every shooting situation.

I've already got my interchangeable lens cameras and my lens kit ... I don't want another 'system' to fuss with. I want a simple, high quality compact camera for when the system camera is overkill and too much to carry.

The Fuji X100 looks perfect for that.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I for one am glad they're sticking with a fixed lens mount. It affords more opportunity to optimize a particular lens and sensor, a particular camera, as a package. It's not a solution for everyone or every shooting situation.

I've already got my interchangeable lens cameras and my lens kit ... I don't want another 'system' to fuss with. I want a simple, high quality compact camera for when the system camera is overkill and too much to carry.

The Fuji X100 looks perfect for that.
    IMO the only reason for a fixed lens is size and weight.
    But then at the size of the x100 I wonder if it should not have been possible to make it interchangable (if I look at m4/3 and Leica M).
    I find the x1 size much more attractive for a compact. I do not know if I find the x100 compact. Still an attractive camera. I would probably rather go with a used M8 though and have the option to shoot also ultrawide or short 50mm FOV if I wanted, even though 35mm works fine for many things.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    IMO the only reason for a fixed lens is size and weight.
    But then at the size of the x100 I wonder if it should not have been possible to make it interchangable (if I look at m4/3 and Leica M).
    I find the x1 size much more attractive for a compact. I do not know if I find the x100 compact. Still an attractive camera. I would probably rather go with a used M8 though and have the option to shoot also ultrawide or short 50mm FOV if I wanted, even though 35mm works fine for many things.
    Don't forget cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_R View Post
    Thank you for the link. I can see that it would have been a bit complicated to achieve that with interchangeable lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I am slowly moving away from fixed focal length cameras with the exception of the M system, because M allows at least to change the lens, which the X100 (and also Leica X1) do not. This is for me the most severe restriction in making this camera as flexible as I need.

Unfortunately it also uses a 12MP sensor, which is no longer state of the art n APSC as K5, D7000 etc show.

Sad that these restrictions do not match the absolutely great idea of the new hybrid VF. I only can hope that Leica will pick up that idea for their future M10 - together with a 30MP sensor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget cost.
    Cost could be a factor - maybe not so much for makeing the x100 a camera with interchangable lenses but even more to develop a lens lineup.
    Here Leica with all the old M glass was in a much better position (and still yes- the M9 costs multiple times of the x100)

So yes, in the end the x100 will be a compromise between price, size and function. For some it migt be just the solution (lets say somebody who wants something Leica M style but with more auto functions and who likes just 35mm and doesnt want to send the money for Leica M stuff).

Personally I found it more attractive it it either was smaller/lighter OR if it had exchangable lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Cost could be a factor - maybe not so much for makeing the x100 a camera with interchangable lenses but even more to develop a lens lineup.
    Here Leica with all the old M glass was in a much better position (and still yes- the M9 costs multiple times of the x100)

... Personally I found it more attractive it it either was smaller/lighter OR if it had exchangable lenses.
    Both ... The M9 body costs multiple times what the X100 costs, never mind the cost (and size/weight/bulk) of the lenses.

Far as I can see, it's a perfect size for my hands and I already have my system cameras. A nicely crafted, single-lens compact like this ... always presuming the responsiveness and image quality is up to snuff ... is the perfect adjunct to my SLR kit. When I need something other than what it offers, I'll just grab the SLR. I don't need every camera to be capable of doing everything.

But I'm repeating myself... :-) Time to do some photography and continue waiting to see an X100!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Both ... The M9 body costs multiple times what the X100 costs, never mind the cost (and size/weight/bulk) of the lenses.

Far as I can see, it's a perfect size for my hands and I already have my system cameras. A nicely crafted, single-lens compact like this ... always presuming the responsiveness and image quality is up to snuff ... is the perfect adjunct to my SLR kit. When I need something other than what it offers, I'll just grab the SLR. I don't need every camera to be capable of doing everything.

But I'm repeating myself... :-) Time to do some photography and continue waiting to see an X100!
    the only thing I dont know is if I would call it a compact.

I agree that it is a nice addition to the camera market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I am slowly moving away from fixed focal length cameras with the exception of the M system, because M allows at least to change the lens, which the X100 (and also Leica X1) do not. This is for me the most severe restriction in making this camera as flexible as I need.

Unfortunately it also uses a 12MP sensor, which is no longer state of the art n APSC as K5, D7000 etc show.
    My guess is that the X100 is a market feeler from Fuji. Investment for making a single camera with a fixed lens has got to be a lot smaller than for creating a system. I'm sure that Fuji execs are emboldened by all the flattery arising from the X100 design - whether that turns into a viable business plan for an interchangeable-lens system is another question.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    My guess is that the X100 is a market feeler from Fuji. Investment for making a single camera with a fixed lens has got to be a lot smaller than for creating a system. I'm sure that Fuji execs are emboldened by all the flattery arising from the X100 design - whether that turns into a viable business plan for an interchangeable-lens system is another question.
    This may very well be right. But it does not answer WHY ONLY 12MP - and this today? When they bring this camera to market, the latest and really great 16MP APSC sensors will already be shipping for longer than 6 months. Time enough IMHO to build the X100 on such a sensor. Would have allowed them an even better and more efficient market research and business plan evaluation.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuji has developed and delivered top notch fixed-lens medium format (the "Texas Leica" 6x7 and 6x9 RF cameras, the GA and GS 645 series, etc) and specialty cameras (like the "hasselblad" XPan) for some time. They have an excellent reputation for quality.

I doubt Fuji is worried about its survival if the X100 doesn't sell in large quantities. Their camera division is hardly a drop in the bucket with respect to the company finances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji has developed and delivered top notch fixed-lens medium format (the "Texas Leica" 6x7 and 6x9 RF cameras, the GA and GS 645 series, etc) and specialty cameras (like the "hasselblad" XPan) for some time. They have an excellent reputation for quality.

I doubt Fuji is worried about its survival if the X100 doesn't sell in large quantities. Their camera division is hardly a drop in the bucket with respect to the company finances.
    Umm I wasnt referring to the survival of Fuji, but rather the decision whether to create a new camera system. Businesses tend to like product plans that have a possibility of generating positive cash flow. Track record for Fuji's earlier system cameras probably hasn't been the greatest since we're not seeing any refresh on their modified Nikon body series.

OF COURSE Fuji has the competence and capability to make a top-of-the-line system. That doesn't mean such a product is financially viable as a business unit.
    Last edited by Lars; 20th December 2010 at 01:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This may very well be right. But it does not answer WHY ONLY 12MP - and this today? When they bring this camera to market, the latest and really great 16MP APSC sensors will already be shipping for longer than 6 months. Time enough IMHO to build the X100 on such a sensor. Would have allowed them an even better and more efficient market research and business plan evaluation.
    Some people would argue that 12 MP is sufficient for most snapshooting needs, and I'd have to say I cannot completely disagree. Sure, more would be nice but the step from 12 to 16 MP is just a selling point, not enough to make a real difference - just a 15.5% increase in pixel pitch.

Perhaps sensitivity had a higher priority than resolution in the choice of sensor. Perhaps the latest and greatest 16MP APSC sensors were not available for purchase or deemed too expensive. Perhaps an X101 is planned with a 16MP sensor, to milk the market in a year. Who knows. 12MP is what we're getting for now.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some people would argue that 12 MP is sufficient for most snapshooting needs, and I'd have to say I cannot completely disagree. Sure, more would be nice but the step from 12 to 16 MP is just a selling point, not enough to make a real difference - just a 15.5% increase in pixel pitch.

Perhaps sensitivity had a higher priority than resolution in the choice of sensor. Perhaps the latest and greatest 16MP APSC sensors were not available for purchase or deemed too expensive. Perhaps an X101 is planned with a 16MP sensor, to milk the market in a year. Who knows. 12MP is what we're getting for now.
    I fully agree here-12 vs 16MP doesnt make a big difference IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

The real difference of the latest 16MP sensors is not only the 4MP more (25%) but rather the really improved high ISO performance compared to the older 12MP generations of sensors. So I would argue this is a very substantial increase of IQ! And with the 12 MP sensor the X100 will just lack that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The real difference of the latest 16MP sensors is not only the 4MP more (25%) but rather the really improved high ISO performance compared to the older 12MP generations of sensors. So I would argue this is a very substantial increase of IQ! And with the 12 MP sensor the X100 will just lack that.
    The linear resolution difference is the square root of the megapixel difference, or about 5% presuming all else (antialiasing filters, a-d conversion, comb filter, moire reduction and noise filtering) are all identical.

Fuji's sensors have always been top notch, I don't expect that to change.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Umm I wasnt referring to the survival of Fuji, but rather the decision whether to create a new camera system. Businesses tend to like product plans that have a possibility of generating positive cash flow. Track record for Fuji's earlier system cameras probably hasn't been the greatest since we're not seeing any refresh on their modified Nikon body series.

OF COURSE Fuji has the competence and capability to make a top-of-the-line system. That doesn't mean such a product is financially viable as a business unit.
    I think we're debating in circles. The X100 is not a system camera. People here are saying they'd prefer a system camera with interchangeable lenses. Fuji's been successfully delivering fixed lens, non-system cameras for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are assuming that Fuji's sensor is sub-par and older generation just because it's 12 MP?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I followed a link the the Fuji site and just read about the lens in the upcoming camera....I was not overly interested in a fixed lens camera but aspects of the Fuji are really starting to get quite interesting....

http://www.finepix-x100.com/story/

First up the sensor is custom made with micro lenses a la the M8/M9 allowing for the lens to sit close to the sensor.

The camera has a built in (user implemented) 3 stop ND filter....allowing for wide open shooting in a lot more situations.

That in combination with 9 blades for the aperture for hopefully nicer bokeh

For flash shooters it looks like a leaf shutter allowing for high synch speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Short minimum focusing distance is also shorter than rangefinder lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting piece on today's (12/23/2010) Online Photographer. Evidently a web page about the X100 viewfinder was recently posted, possibly by accident according to Mike Johnston. Mike suggested checking it out before the page is taken down.

Viewfinder story here. It looks like Fuji is drawing upon their past experiences with the big "Texas Leica" Fuji rangefinder cameras. All good if true.

---Kent

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kent -
    I looked at it last night when I found a link for it on DPReview. There is a "Chapter 1" section that is all about the lens which I linked to above....I was trying to figure out what Chapter 3 is going to be about.

I am hugely impressed with Fuji's marketing here and how they are really explaining a lot about the camera, their thought process and the interaction with design and what made it in the final specs.

I was initially not thrilled with the fixed prime lens but have done an about face on the camera. I hope it is as good as the stuff reads.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The viewfinder story is interesting. The more I look at this camera, the more I like it. And I liked it right off the bat. :-)

raymondluo

Why do people so easily assume the non-use of 16MP sensors mean that Fuji is using a previous generation sensor? Megapixels are not representative of sensors or image quality. In fact the smaller megapixel specified the higher the pixel density will be. And pixel density is an important factor in image quality.

This is why Nikon cameras have to much extent not played the megapixel race, and quite likely a contributing factor to why Olympus swore on the nothing beyond 12MP rule.

And even if Fuji is using a previous generation sensor, it is specified exactly to the lens. One thing I loved they did is talk about how the light hits the lens and they've modified to do that (as they say) perfectly. This is a problem very relevant in interchangeable systems and adaptable lenses but it is a largely unknown issue only mostly obscurely discussed, and insurmountable to test.

In any case what I'm saying is that as a gearhead, photography is about making smart compromises. In this they've sacrificed interchangeability(usability) for image quality. And at 35mm f/2 135 equiv? that's a smart compromise that works for me. Although I haven't looked at it's actual size yet.

raymondluo

In retrospect for size I realized that even thought the Leica X1 is smaller, I would still be tempted to add the accessory grip for it anyways, making it no less the same than the Fuji X100.

It seems I am a definite buyer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The viewfinder article confirms once again that Fuji is using a no-compromise approach to the design of the X100. I agree with Terry - great marketing. It will be very interesting to see how this carries over to the actual product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My favourite camera shop in Bangkok apparently has it already, or at least they have a photo of one taken in the shop. I'm going there tomorrow

Here's the link:
    http://www.avcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    My favourite camera shop in Bangkok apparently has it already, or at least they have a photo of one taken in the shop.
    With a "thumbs-up" and a soft-release button, nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    My favourite camera shop in Bangkok apparently has it already, or at least they have a photo of one taken in the shop. I'm going there tomorrow

Here's the link:
    http://www.avcamera.com
    Wow, that's a surprise! Let us know if it's real or just a mock-up! Can't wait.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mock-up, gone already

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bummer but that did seem quite early for a camera due out in late March.

Post Thanks / Like

A camera shop here in Hong Kong where I know the folks estimate a price of 11,000 HKD or over 1,400 USD. Camera gear in Hong Kong is usually around low price level in USA.

Any takers @ 1,500 USD???

Perhaps we should ask Jack delete this thread to avoid speculation and a bubble???

Regards
    Anders

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuji stated when it was announced a US price ~$1000.

If it performs to expectations, ~$1500 is not out of bounds.

Yes, I'd buy one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The next installment has been posted.

http://www.finepix-x100.com/story/cr...m_campaign=jan

Post Thanks / Like

Looks all very appealing!

I know I may sound pessimistic now, but I only can hope it is not so much over hype as it was while Olympus introduced the E3, which was highly praised but finally could not come close to my (and also others) expectations in different areas. Unfortunately the whole marketing campaign reminds me very much on that E3 launch - lot of hot air .....

Lets keep fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

What better way to keep the X-100 in our minds than by these periodic messages from the design team.

A very effective marketing tool. I hope that the final product is as well thought out, and as functional as these periodic messages.

They certainly keep me interested.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

As an addendum to my prior post, I would like to see some discussions from Fuji of how more detailed technical information and operational details were arrived at.

Since the appearance of these articles seem to be as to how certain physical, and construction decisions were made early on in the design phase, it would be interesting to see discussions of how more technical decisions were made.

How fast was the AF in normal and low light operation supposed to be, and what ways of optimizing these design parameters were possible.

Similarly, the noise levels and speed of the sensor, rate of buffer clearing, and speed of burst mode etc. How were the final characteristics determined, and implemented???

Also, sharpness, and general handling qualities. How were these parameters optimized??? How fast is the camera for the next shot???? Speed of CPU, and even which CPU???

Since Fuji likes to provide such specific details, as to the material, and even stitching of the camera case, how about telling us about the internal discussions for the strength of the AA filter, or construction materials of, and predicted longevity of the shutter.

I realize that some of his will be available in reviews just prior to release, but it is now close enough to the predicted release date that Fuji should start to release some of this information now.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I decided to test the form factor of the X100 for my use as an adjunct to my SLR system. I pulled out my Olympus Trip 35, unused for many years but still in perfect condition. Just about the same size and weight, slightly longer focal length equivalent (40mm f/2.8 rather than 35mm f/2), similar simplicity of controls.

I loaded a roll of Ilford XP2 Super and will be shooting with it this week ... but at first play, the beautiful, clear bright line finder, compact but not fiddly size, simple controls, etc etc are looking to be a very nice carry-anywhere camera.

Makes me even more eager to see the Fuji X100 in the flesh. What am I doing to myself? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji stated when it was announced a US price ~$1000.

If it performs to expectations, ~$1500 is not out of bounds.

Yes, I'd buy one.

Well, if price around 1500 usd seems Fuji only got one taker in one week.

At first their site seemed present smart to me, but now is looking over done. Comes down to it, what is actual image quality???

One serious contender could be the iPhone 5, cheaper, even if less image quality would be always in pocket anyways, and no extra charger.

Fuji should bear in mind in my opinion that they market to among folks serious in photography and very high end gear. Thus... Will X100 stack up??

Rgds
    Anders

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Well, if price around 1500 usd seems Fuji only got one taker in one week.
    One serious contender could be the iPhone 5, cheaper, even if less image quality would be always in pocket anyways, and no extra charger.

Fuji should bear in mind in my opinion that they market to among folks serious in photography and very high end gear. Thus... Will X100 stack up??
    Just because more people haven't jumped up and said "I'll buy!" doesn't mean that they've only got me as a customer ... :-)

But comparing it to an iPhone camera? That seems a little silly, IMO. Fuji's fixed lens rangefinder cameras were loved by pros and advanced photographers ... and they weren't cheap either. There are always people who are willing to pay for real quality.

Of course, no one can say how the camera performs until it ships and gets into the hands of users. I'll make my purchase decision when I evaluate one for real, in the flesh.

jorgeAD

Hi there... Its been a while since my last post, yet, since I always found people at this formu extremely friendly and knowledgeable...

I still love my little Ricoh GRD-2 as it has the most intuitive controls of any camera I have used. Its tiny sensor is great for zone focusing, especially with the 21mm equivalent lens add-on, and does not seems to sacrifice any sharpness at all. Sadly it is hopelessly noisy beyond ISO 400. So whenever I plan to work with available-light or use depth-of-field to separate subject from background, I have to drag along an EOS 7D and fast primes.

Enter the FinePix X-100, promising and uber-corrected, fine-tuned by hand, fast 35 mm equivalent lens that just by itself would cost around 700$ (its closest quality comparison would be Canon 24mm 1.4 L mkii, 1500$ ), a camera with real physical controls that stay put, CMOS sensor with offset microlenses to correct vignetting, standard ISO 6400 sensitivity, dynamic range greater than the legendary Finepix S5, 5 fps, and a big bright optical hybrid viewfinder that lets one electronically review the shot without having to remove the eye from the eyepiece.

So I have a couple of questions, as I understand the X-100 hardware to be finalized:

Is the X-100 really using the Sony sensor from Nikons D700/A300 ?

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/view...6a87c0709b3d43

Any idea on how to get Fuji to use DNG instead of forcing us to change workflows or compromise image quality ?

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...00-update.html

Any insight if the X-100 contrast-detection AF might be able to focus in candlelight as my 7D does ? (deal-breaker for me... I know i know I should just wait for real world tests...)

Thanks for your time, and sorry for my non native english.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jorgeAD View Post
    So I have a couple of questions, as I understand the X-100 hardware to be finalized:

Is the X-100 really using the Sony sensor from Nikons D700/A300 ?
    Any idea on how to get Fuji to use DNG instead of forcing us to change workflows or compromise image quality ?
    - If it's using a derivative of the D700/A300 sensor, it will be good.

- I'll wait for Adobe to include it in their raw support ... at which point whether it is FRW or DNG is irrelevant.

- Anything else, it all depends what's in the final package when it ships.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji on their website have said that they expect support from third party raw developers in addition to the version of silkypix that they supply. This upfront acknowledgement of the other raw programs leaves me hopeful that they will supply the needed files to Adobe and others fast enough to get quick support.