The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji FinePix X100

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am slowly moving away from fixed focal length cameras with the exception of the M system, because M allows at least to change the lens, which the X100 (and also Leica X1) do not. This is for me the most severe restriction in making this camera as flexible as I need.

Unfortunately it also uses a 12MP sensor, which is no longer state of the art n APSC as K5, D7000 etc show.

Sad that these restrictions do not match the absolutely great idea of the new hybrid VF. I only can hope that Leica will pick up that idea for their future M10 - together with a 30MP sensor ;)

Paratom

Don't forget cost.
Cost could be a factor - maybe not so much for makeing the x100 a camera with interchangable lenses but even more to develop a lens lineup.
Here Leica with all the old M glass was in a much better position (and still yes- the M9 costs multiple times of the x100)

So yes, in the end the x100 will be a compromise between price, size and function. For some it migt be just the solution (lets say somebody who wants something Leica M style but with more auto functions and who likes just 35mm and doesnt want to send the money for Leica M stuff).

Personally I found it more attractive it it either was smaller/lighter OR if it had exchangable lenses.

Godfrey

Cost could be a factor - maybe not so much for makeing the x100 a camera with interchangable lenses but even more to develop a lens lineup.
Here Leica with all the old M glass was in a much better position (and still yes- the M9 costs multiple times of the x100)

... Personally I found it more attractive it it either was smaller/lighter OR if it had exchangable lenses.
Both ... The M9 body costs multiple times what the X100 costs, never mind the cost (and size/weight/bulk) of the lenses.

Far as I can see, it's a perfect size for my hands and I already have my system cameras. A nicely crafted, single-lens compact like this ... always presuming the responsiveness and image quality is up to snuff ... is the perfect adjunct to my SLR kit. When I need something other than what it offers, I'll just grab the SLR. I don't need every camera to be capable of doing everything.

But I'm repeating myself... :) Time to do some photography and continue waiting to see an X100!

Paratom

Both ... The M9 body costs multiple times what the X100 costs, never mind the cost (and size/weight/bulk) of the lenses.

Far as I can see, it's a perfect size for my hands and I already have my system cameras. A nicely crafted, single-lens compact like this ... always presuming the responsiveness and image quality is up to snuff ... is the perfect adjunct to my SLR kit. When I need something other than what it offers, I'll just grab the SLR. I don't need every camera to be capable of doing everything.

But I'm repeating myself... :) Time to do some photography and continue waiting to see an X100!
the only thing I dont know is if I would call it a compact.

I agree that it is a nice addition to the camera market.

Lars

I am slowly moving away from fixed focal length cameras with the exception of the M system, because M allows at least to change the lens, which the X100 (and also Leica X1) do not. This is for me the most severe restriction in making this camera as flexible as I need.

Unfortunately it also uses a 12MP sensor, which is no longer state of the art n APSC as K5, D7000 etc show.
My guess is that the X100 is a market feeler from Fuji. Investment for making a single camera with a fixed lens has got to be a lot smaller than for creating a system. I'm sure that Fuji execs are emboldened by all the flattery arising from the X100 design - whether that turns into a viable business plan for an interchangeable-lens system is another question.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My guess is that the X100 is a market feeler from Fuji. Investment for making a single camera with a fixed lens has got to be a lot smaller than for creating a system. I'm sure that Fuji execs are emboldened by all the flattery arising from the X100 design - whether that turns into a viable business plan for an interchangeable-lens system is another question.
This may very well be right. But it does not answer WHY ONLY 12MP - and this today? When they bring this camera to market, the latest and really great 16MP APSC sensors will already be shipping for longer than 6 months. Time enough IMHO to build the X100 on such a sensor. Would have allowed them an even better and more efficient market research and business plan evaluation.

Godfrey

Fuji has developed and delivered top notch fixed-lens medium format (the "Texas Leica" 6x7 and 6x9 RF cameras, the GA and GS 645 series, etc) and specialty cameras (like the "hasselblad" XPan) for some time. They have an excellent reputation for quality.

I doubt Fuji is worried about its survival if the X100 doesn't sell in large quantities. Their camera division is hardly a drop in the bucket with respect to the company finances.

Lars

Fuji has developed and delivered top notch fixed-lens medium format (the "Texas Leica" 6x7 and 6x9 RF cameras, the GA and GS 645 series, etc) and specialty cameras (like the "hasselblad" XPan) for some time. They have an excellent reputation for quality.

I doubt Fuji is worried about its survival if the X100 doesn't sell in large quantities. Their camera division is hardly a drop in the bucket with respect to the company finances.
Umm I wasnt referring to the survival of Fuji, but rather the decision whether to create a new camera system. Businesses tend to like product plans that have a possibility of generating positive cash flow. Track record for Fuji's earlier system cameras probably hasn't been the greatest since we're not seeing any refresh on their modified Nikon body series.

OF COURSE Fuji has the competence and capability to make a top-of-the-line system. That doesn't mean such a product is financially viable as a business unit.

Last edited:

Lars

This may very well be right. But it does not answer WHY ONLY 12MP - and this today? When they bring this camera to market, the latest and really great 16MP APSC sensors will already be shipping for longer than 6 months. Time enough IMHO to build the X100 on such a sensor. Would have allowed them an even better and more efficient market research and business plan evaluation.
Some people would argue that 12 MP is sufficient for most snapshooting needs, and I'd have to say I cannot completely disagree. Sure, more would be nice but the step from 12 to 16 MP is just a selling point, not enough to make a real difference - just a 15.5% increase in pixel pitch.

Perhaps sensitivity had a higher priority than resolution in the choice of sensor. Perhaps the latest and greatest 16MP APSC sensors were not available for purchase or deemed too expensive. Perhaps an X101 is planned with a 16MP sensor, to milk the market in a year. Who knows. 12MP is what we're getting for now.

Paratom

Some people would argue that 12 MP is sufficient for most snapshooting needs, and I'd have to say I cannot completely disagree. Sure, more would be nice but the step from 12 to 16 MP is just a selling point, not enough to make a real difference - just a 15.5% increase in pixel pitch.

Perhaps sensitivity had a higher priority than resolution in the choice of sensor. Perhaps the latest and greatest 16MP APSC sensors were not available for purchase or deemed too expensive. Perhaps an X101 is planned with a 16MP sensor, to milk the market in a year. Who knows. 12MP is what we're getting for now.
I fully agree here-12 vs 16MP doesnt make a big difference IMO.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

The real difference of the latest 16MP sensors is not only the 4MP more (25%) but rather the really improved high ISO performance compared to the older 12MP generations of sensors. So I would argue this is a very substantial increase of IQ! And with the 12 MP sensor the X100 will just lack that.

Godfrey

The real difference of the latest 16MP sensors is not only the 4MP more (25%) but rather the really improved high ISO performance compared to the older 12MP generations of sensors. So I would argue this is a very substantial increase of IQ! And with the 12 MP sensor the X100 will just lack that.
The linear resolution difference is the square root of the megapixel difference, or about 5% presuming all else (antialiasing filters, a-d conversion, comb filter, moire reduction and noise filtering) are all identical.

Fuji's sensors have always been top notch, I don't expect that to change.

Godfrey

Umm I wasnt referring to the survival of Fuji, but rather the decision whether to create a new camera system. Businesses tend to like product plans that have a possibility of generating positive cash flow. Track record for Fuji's earlier system cameras probably hasn't been the greatest since we're not seeing any refresh on their modified Nikon body series.

OF COURSE Fuji has the competence and capability to make a top-of-the-line system. That doesn't mean such a product is financially viable as a business unit.
I think we're debating in circles. The X100 is not a system camera. People here are saying they'd prefer a system camera with interchangeable lenses. Fuji's been successfully delivering fixed lens, non-system cameras for a long time.

Lars

You are assuming that Fuji's sensor is sub-par and older generation just because it's 12 MP?

Terry

I followed a link the the Fuji site and just read about the lens in the upcoming camera....I was not overly interested in a fixed lens camera but aspects of the Fuji are really starting to get quite interesting....

http://www.finepix-x100.com/story/

First up the sensor is custom made with micro lenses a la the M8/M9 allowing for the lens to sit close to the sensor.

The camera has a built in (user implemented) 3 stop ND filter....allowing for wide open shooting in a lot more situations.

That in combination with 9 blades for the aperture for hopefully nicer bokeh

For flash shooters it looks like a leaf shutter allowing for high synch speeds.

Kphelan

Interesting piece on today's (12/23/2010) Online Photographer. Evidently a web page about the X100 viewfinder was recently posted, possibly by accident according to Mike Johnston. Mike suggested checking it out before the page is taken down.

Viewfinder story here. It looks like Fuji is drawing upon their past experiences with the big "Texas Leica" Fuji rangefinder cameras. All good if true.

---Kent

Terry

Kent -
I looked at it last night when I found a link for it on DPReview. There is a "Chapter 1" section that is all about the lens which I linked to above....I was trying to figure out what Chapter 3 is going to be about.

I am hugely impressed with Fuji's marketing here and how they are really explaining a lot about the camera, their thought process and the interaction with design and what made it in the final specs.

I was initially not thrilled with the fixed prime lens but have done an about face on the camera. I hope it is as good as the stuff reads.

Godfrey

The viewfinder story is interesting. The more I look at this camera, the more I like it. And I liked it right off the bat. :)