The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji FinePix X100

Anders_HK

Is the X-100 really using the Sony sensor from Nikons D700/A300 ?
Indeed if they are it would be disappointing, since per www.finepix-x100.com/en/x100/custom-aps-c-sensor

"FUJIFILM has customised an APS-C size 12.3 megapixel CMOS sensor for the FinePix X100; resulting in an ideal match for the performance characteristics of the 23mm F2 lens, which also works in tandem with the newly developed EXR Processor."

Waiting... that sensor and camera better live up to what their marketing claims of it as being soooooo good... (which is one point I doubt for now)... else just another among all other small cameras... one many sold on believing is so much better than prior... :cry: :deadhorse:

Thus is why I very seriously mentioned iPhone 5 in my post above :thumbs:

Regards
Anders

Godfrey

Waiting... that sensor and camera better live up to what their marketing claims of it as being soooooo good... (which is one point I doubt for now)... else just another among all other small cameras... one many sold on believing is so much better than prior...
It will have a unique viewfinder at least. Other qualities can only be judged once the camera is in production and in users' hands.

Oren Grad

"FUJIFILM has customised an APS-C size 12.3 megapixel CMOS sensor for the FinePix X100; resulting in an ideal match for the performance characteristics of the 23mm F2 lens, which also works in tandem with the newly developed EXR Processor."

Waiting... that sensor and camera better live up to what their marketing claims of it as being soooooo good...
That isn't a claim that it will be vastly superior to anyone else's sensor, it's just saying that they've taken an existing sensor that's very competent and done what was needed to make it work well with a compact, short-register fixed lens rather than a long-register SLR lens.

From a user perspective the value-added in the X100 is in the body, not the sensor. Folks who are looking for a digital Hexar AF are likely to be happy, assuming the viewfinder isn't a total kludge, the AF performance is reasonable, etc. Those who are looking for some revolutionary difference in image quality will be sorely disappointed.

Helena

When I first heard about this camera I was really excited. The enthusiasm has faded somewhat since then, mostly because of its size (I had hoped that it'd be a bit smaller). For that size I'd prefer either a FF sensor or a f/1.4 lens (or both, but I don't know if that'd be possible), but I really like how it looks, the focal length, the view finder and the close MFD, so I may still buy one. :) I'll try and wait a few months after its release though, until I'm sure that it lives up to the expectations.

J

jorgeAD

Re: Fuji FinePix X100 - On second thought

I guess we have all fallen victim of photo marketing hype at some point so I understand the curbed enthusiasm. It isnt really a compact camera as Helena points out, however, at 5.4 centimeters thick it is only marginally thicker than an X1, and between half and one third the thickness of any other APS-C sized camera with an equivalent F2 lens.

Just how far FujiFilm compromised in order to keep it almost compact remains to be seen. I agree with Oran that viewfinder and AF performance are the defining factors.

Having too much time in my hands, and no technical scruples, I compared Fujinons 23mm F2 MTF chart to Canon EF 35mm F2 MTF (both wide open and in relative, not absolute terms):

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_35mm_f_2

The 23mm holds on to 75% contrast sensitivity (and subjective sharpness) half through the field (away from the center). The 35mm is already at 55%. Most importantly, in that last third, near the corners, the 35mm drops abruptly from 45% to 15%, while the 23mm manages to hold on around 55% all the way out to the corner. And this is wide open, performance at F4 @ 30lp/mm hold on to 75-80% in that critical last third.

So it seems to beat an old design 300$ 35mm full frame lens... Should I expect it to be as good as the current best, no physical/price compromise DSLR lens design: the Zeiss ZA T 24mm F2 for Sony..($1200 lens only... camera not included :D ) ?

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/567-zeiss24f2?start=1

I dont think so...

TEBnewyork and Godfrey: I figure the Ricoh GRD spoiled me with its future proof, develop anywhere you want DNG files. I teach photography in Central America using free and open source software and we use and love Raw Therapee. So if you get a chance please pay a visit to the X-100 website and, as I did, suggest they include a .DNG file format option... (firmware is still being finalized !).

Andres_HK: “Customize” is very different from "built from scratch”. I tend to avoid version 1 of anything as do not enjoy being a paying beta tester, yet I find the X-100 design and functionality very atractive, as it appears to build upon collective knowledge of how a RF candid & available light photography camera should handle. It reminds me how I learned camera controls with a Petri 7s as a 13 year-old, how I honed my skills to anticipate and catch the decisive moment with a Leica M3 in photo school, and even later, when I made a living doing architectural photography with a "compact" medium format Fujica GS645W (amazing lens by the way).

Last edited:

Godfrey

Re: Fuji FinePix X100 - On second thought

TEBnewyork and Godfrey: I figure the Ricoh GRD spoiled me with its future proof, develop anywhere you want DNG files. I teach photography in Central America using free and open source software ...
While I also would like a .DNG file output capability for raw image files, once Adobe supports it DNG Converter is free and freely distributed too. It will take whatever format they end up with and make .DNGs from them, so you'll be able to continue using free and open source software.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop. All my raw image files are converted to .DNG on import, so I never work with anything but .DNG files except for what comes out of the cameras. I have, however, added a user feedback comment requesting a .DNG format raw file option.

Martin S

I have been looking at the descriptions of this camera, but it is not clear if it is image stabilized. Anyone out there who can answer this question???

From the diagram of the lens, it appears that the lens in not stabilized. Any ideas if the sensor is image stabilized????

Thanks.

Martin

Lars

It is not image-stabilized. With a high-speed sensor, wideangle lens at f/2 and an optical viewfinder the need for IS is arguably limited.

Martin S

Thank you. I thought that it was not stabilized. We'll have to see about the image quality, DR, and other aspects of this interesting camera.

Martin

T

thinkfloyd

I am 75% sold on this camera... just waiting for image samples and reviews to boost it to 100%!

A

aum235

I was very tempted too by this camera when I first learned that it was gonna come out.

But I've been waiting too long now, since september.
In the meantime, pentax in Europe at least has conducted a great marketing operation between nov 2010 and jan 2011, offering a significant discount to every new owner of a K-R or K-5.
So I went for a K-5 because all this time along, there was nowhere to have an X100 just in hands at least... yes, at least, to see if that viewfinder is confortable or not in terms of width of what you see inside.
That's an important matter for me : how big is the image that you see in the viewfinder.
Not being able in any sorts to check that specific parameter in time (before the Pentax special offer expired), I didn't want to take the risk, so went for the K-5.

I've also anyway been having concerns about the sensor itself-for what I read here and there, that sensor is not based on Fuji's latest sensor technology -> what about quality in the high ISO range ?
That brings me to the next point : even though it opens at f1:4, it's true that it doesn't have a stabilizer.
Ok, true, IS is not an obligation, and one could say 'hey ! how d'you think they did back in the old days !' Well I've known the old days, and they were nice, but so is IS today.
Indeed the camera is nice, and even more than nice, but at that price, IS could/would somehow be expected.

That brings me to the last point : the price.
Back in Sept 2010, Fuji seemed to say that it would cost around 1000$.
... but recently, at the CES that took place in Vegas last week, Fuji finally communicated the accurate figure : 1199$ !!!

There again, that perspective makes me surely not regret to have chosen a K-5 !!!

Still, I sure am going to check out that creature as soon as it gets out in stores !