Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fujifilm X-100 testimonies surfacing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fujifilm X-100 testimonies surfacing

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    +2

Unfortunately for me, 35mm is a focal length that I just don't particularly enjoy. Otherwise I would already be on that waiting list too. 28mm is more my cup of tea, so I just ordered the GXR with the 28mm module. But I am a big Fuji fan, I love what they have done with this camera. If I ever warm up to that focal length, I will add this camera to my (ever growing) collection for sure.
    Well I have a dilemma as well since 35 AND! 28 are my two favorite focal lengths. Shooting with the original GR1 film compact really sold me on that FOV.

I was looking at the GXR 28 combo too but decided to stick with GR1 and buy the X100 when it comes out.

But enough about me! I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun with that GXR kit!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Quite agree . . . . but a bit of discipline can be just as good - put all your other lenses back in the cupboard and only take the 35 'lux with you.
    Agree too ... One focal length, one lens is often quite worthwhile.

For me, it's "leave the DSLR kit home and go out with just a small, light, fast camera". I've done a lot of very satisfying work that way in the past when all I carried was my Rollei 35S or other fixed lens camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In NY I only went out with M8 + 28 cron. So, this will be very similar. Now I just
    need to get back into doing some street shooting in San Francisco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You have a target rich environment there Terry. I always liked walking around the mission...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I entered my order with Monza, with deposit, months ago. So I am hopeful that I will be receiving my X100 very soon. I think that if it performs as we all seem to expect that it will be a breakthrough camera for its intended use. And at half the price of an X1 from Leica a bargain as well

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    +2

Unfortunately for me, 35mm is a focal length that I just don't particularly enjoy. Otherwise I would already be on that waiting list too. 28mm is more my cup of tea, so I just ordered the GXR with the 28mm module. But I am a big Fuji fan, I love what they have done with this camera. If I ever warm up to that focal length, I will add this camera to my (ever growing) collection for sure.
    Me too, although I prefer 50mm. However, it might be fun for me to take a break from the norm and try 35mm out for a while. Jeez, at this point, I'm really making up excuses to buy this silly camera!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quite agree . . . . but a bit of discipline can be just as good - put all your other lenses back in the cupboard and only take the 35 'lux with you.
    Ha! If I had an M9 and 35 lux asph, I'd probably just throw everything else I owned into the trash!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Hands on video. Flash synch looks awesome for strobists and outdoor AF in high contrast seems very fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3oyhQGcKYs
    Thanks for the video link. I especially think the auto pano stitch feature will be fun. I have officially run out of reasons not to buy this camera, even if the very idea of paying full retail price makes me shudder.

jorgeAD

Hi Jorge
    that picture would be wonderful whatever it was take with!
    fabulous . . .
    Indeed.. A good photographer makes great photos out of any subject. But my point was that we have already been served too many static shots out of a camera supposedly built for candid action shooting...

We know enough to guess this lens-sensor combo will be something special... but how about usability and responsiveness ? Does the X100 help catch the decisive moment or does it work against the photographer, as almost all compact digicams do..?

I think the Cambodia shot is saying something in that respect... (and yes, he is an incredibly talented photographer... I need more X100 shots like this before ordering, not mailboxes, fire hydrants or posing cats or models..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

jorge, one can never have enough models. The action shots I have seen have been impressive like the ones coming down the slide at you. Those are challenging for any AF system.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check this image out: http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/image/132713278

Pretty stunning. Love the shadow detail. The shadows are pushed to the limit but not clipped...

Post Thanks / Like

"stunning" ??? Why??????

#1 at such small jpg how can you tell detail of shadow noise? Downsize an image when some noise and noise becomes small

#2 colors are not balanced, look at reds. Could it be due to sensor not by Fuji? Has that been confirmed? In real production will colors be better, who knows????

#3 sharp lens per say but sharpening applied to jpgs is unknown.

With all marketing hype it is sound and wise not to smoke and illusion... ... as for now seems as a beefy point and shoot with some real camera handling... and a gimmick electronic viewfinder switch... What else???

Needs more: Solid image quality??? Where is proof?

Regards
    Anders

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    "stunning" ??? Why??????

#1 at such small jpg how can you tell detail of shadow noise? Downsize an image when some noise and noise becomes small

#2 colors are not balanced, look at reds. Could it be due to sensor not by Fuji? Has that been confirmed? In real production will colors be better, who knows????

#3 sharp lens per say but sharpening applied to jpgs is unknown.

With all marketing hype it is sound and wise not to smoke and illusion... ... as for now seems as a beefy point and shoot with some real camera handling... and a gimmick electronic viewfinder switch... What else???

Needs more: Solid image quality??? Where is proof?

Regards
    Anders
    HI Anders
    My feeling absolutely - I've seen nice pictures taken with the camera (two little girls for instance); but that reflects on the photographer rather than the camera - this shot doesn't even do that (IMHO) it reflects on the scene rather than either the photographer or the camera.

I think the camera is a killer concept, and it's certainly temptingly tactile and devastatingly designed - all of which is really important, but working it is a different thing - I'd like to try it out (or at least listen to people who's opinions I trust) before committing what is quite a large dollop of dosh.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

HI Anders
    I think the camera is a killer concept, and it's certainly temptingly tactile and devastatingly designed - all of which is really important, but working it is a different thing - I'd like to try it out (or at least listen to people who's opinions I trust) before committing what is quite a large dollop of dosh.
    Hi Jono,

Very exact indeed. In my humble opinion it seems this thing is way over marketed and it may well have made people having gotten hands on to use a preproduction model to rave.... and others seeing photos made with it to rave of small jpgs. I agree it is very interesting camera but true verdict will be down to image quality and for that I still waiting to see. Else, why? I have iPhone and Leaf .

I am not concerned with colors in last link posted above. Besides, why have all that electronic in viewfinder that cost $$ when instead same could have been spent on a killer sensor and less gimmicks in camera??? If truly aimed for professionals...

Perhaps it is just me, but... rather than buy one more small camera same as the ones I already have owned and ditched after a few months... it is wise to wait and see. ...

Regards
    Anders

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

Perhaps it is just me, but... rather than buy one more small camera same as the ones I already have owned and ditched after a few months... it is wise to wait and see. ...

Regards
    Anders
    Indeed - I've lost count of the number I've had . . . ep1, ep2. gf1, dlux4, x1 etc. etc. All lovely in one way or another, and all ending up on ebay sooner or later.

Not that it makes this any less attractive!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

If truly aimed for professionals...
    Is it? My sense is that it is aimed at the well-heeled amateur, which is a bigger market, and of course they would hope professionals would take to it, also.

BTW I am bowled over by the chatter. I am hoping it lives up to expectiations, but I'm afraid this will be impossible as expectations rise to stratopheric levels.

If you are wondering about my personal interest in the camera, I have a preorder in at Precision Camera and J&R.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed - I've lost count of the number I've had . . . ep1, ep2. gf1, dlux4, x1 etc. etc. All lovely in one way or another, and all ending up on ebay sooner or later.

Not that it makes this any less attractive!
    For some of us just trying them out is a lot of fun and don't mind cycling through them in search of the gem that just clicks with our brain and sparks some creative fun.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    For some of us just trying them out is a lot of fun and don't mind cycling through them in search of the gem that just clicks with our brain and sparks some creative fun.
    HI Terry
    Of course - and I've had a lot of fun trying them out as well . . . . .which is one reason why I might just end up with one of these! Added to which, as we both know, if you buy sensibly and pass them on reasonably quickly it's not too painful a financial experience (especially if they're in short supply).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Hands on video. Flash synch looks awesome for strobists and outdoor AF in high contrast seems very fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3oyhQGcKYs
    I had fun shooting theat video. I didn't have a lot of time with the camera, but here are my brief hands-on impressions:

Everything feels exactly how it should in your hands. Having a manual shutter and aperture dial with visible markers bring me right back to shooting with a rangefinder. It's very satisfying.

The viewfinder is amazing. Despite the AF support, I found myself just manually focusing and shooting like it was an M3. However, the option to switch to an EVF for critical focusing was hugely useful.

This will most likely wind up being my next camera, and I buy cameras very sparingly. And the shots that Tyler Stalman took convinced me of the optical potential for this camera.

Thanks for checking out the video.

Jordan @ The Camera Store

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    a.

Thanks for checking out the video.

Jordan @ The Camera Store
    Thanks for making it - enjoyable and informative (what more could you ask).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jordan -

Good useful video!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Checked the samples at dpr. Seems to be a real Fuji. I can't see how I can resist this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even though the X100 appears to be an utterly amazing piece of engineering..decent lens, good high ISO, well controlled noise, silent operation, panorama stitching, lightning fast AF, and a brilliant overall execution in both the amazing finder and the body making it no doubt whatsoever at $1200 US an amazing value!)..still as a 12MP I was wondering,...IQ for IQ...(lens/sensor/imageprocessing, etc) I wonder how the Fuji will compare with the overpriced Leica X1. (Steve Huff recently posted his opinion that after all the raving he's done about other cameras lately, particularly amongst the EVF set...he thinks the IQ of the X1 still reigns supreme.)

Any thoughts? Or too soon to tell based on the scarce images so far. Personally I think it'll be negligible on an absolute basis but with all things considered it could be a total blowout once you take into account the overall handling, performance, design, construction and price.

(One more kudo to Fuji nice jab at Leica with the name! After all, X100 suggests that it's 100x better than the X1 LOL).
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

jorgeAD

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Checked the samples at dpr. Seems to be a real Fuji. I can't see how I can resist this one.
    R-E-S-I-S-T-A-N-C-E I-S F-U-T-I-L-E

Direct link to dpreview full size, latest firmware, iso 6400, bowl of fruit:

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.co...zV9JnJyAB0E%3d

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jorgeAD View Post
    R-E-S-I-S-T-A-N-C-E I-S F-U-T-I-L-E

PRECISELY !

and yes, the bowl of fruit at full size 6400 was pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

And we used to feel that Velvia 400 was something!!!!!!!!!!

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Direct Link

Quote Originally Posted by jorgeAD View Post

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.co...zV9JnJyAB0E%3d
    Sorry, it seems the direct link is to:

"AccessDeniedRequest has expired8CF49593221316A62011-02-25T18:37:50Z2oL+hN3PCa7+WfNHaG/ogr4ZN+FqwO7VqslsUZHznyR5BUYEeRZFoIhgWeVWDD8x2011-02-25T19:45:43Z"

jorgeAD

Re: Direct Link

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Sorry, it seems the direct link is to:

"AccessDeniedRequest has expired8CF49593221316A62011-02-25T18:37:50Z2oL+hN3PCa7+WfNHaG/ogr4ZN+FqwO7VqslsUZHznyR5BUYEeRZFoIhgWeVWDD8x2011-02-25T19:45:43Z"
    Mmm funny, it works for me every time, even in your quoted message. Might have something to do with dpreview no allowing deep-linking of images. Guess youll have to take the long route:

http://dpreview.com/galleries/review...uction-samples

IMHO: FujiFilm has done it again. The prospect of high quality photography and picture taking experience (at least in this non Leica price range) in low light with a semi-compact digital camera evoques the opening of new picture taking possibilities I felt after my first rolls of Velvia 50 in the early Nineties...
    Last edited by jorgeAD; 25th February 2011 at 12:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Ha! If I had an M9 and 35 lux asph, I'd probably just throw everything else I owned into the trash!
    Please inform me when you are about to do so so I can wait outside

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I looked earlier today at samples DPR posted and honestly I feel there is nothing there to write home about.

Personally I feel they are too flat, I don't remember fruits that ever looked so anemic in real life.

Also I feel sharpness is far from claimed "body/lens combo optimized for sharpness starting from wide open". I do not see impressive sharpness even at 5.6 apertures (where they claim maximum sharpness should be) even on objects that should be well within DOF, like parts of bridge of buildings.

All in all, I feel even if I am not absolutely correct that I do not see results that would make me rave to $1200 amount. I have a feeling X1 in the end gives better value back even at almost double the price.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually on the bridge shot Andy chalked it up to user error.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37825789

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually on the bridge shot Andy chalked it up to user error.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37825789
    Thanks, that might explain bridge shot. What about rest of shots?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have the same reaction. I look at it as a more neutral starting point for me to adjust the output to my taste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have the same reaction. I look at it as a more neutral starting point for me to adjust the output to my taste.
    I understand why people look at it that way but that can be said for any output, they are all starting points for adjustment to personal taste, which makes one wonder what _should be_ a starting point?

Like your sentence says, starting point should be _neutral_. In other words, best output should not deviate from reality so one has freedom / same amount of clearance to adjust it in either direction.

Otherwise if starting point is leaning toward either side, by being too flat or too amped up, one won't be able to do much without introducing obvious negative side effects.

Which means question is how close to reality output from X100 is. From everything we have seen do we feel it is dead on, very close, or too toned down?

Post Thanks / Like

I am more prone to wait for the first reviews from the initial purchase, rather than make a decision on photos posted. There is too much variation which can take place, i believe.
    YMMV

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Web Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    I looked earlier today at samples DPR posted and honestly I feel there is nothing there to write home about.
    ../..
    I have a feeling X1 in the end gives better value back even at almost double the price.
    Firstly, one must not forget that we are always looking at 72dpi web images on whatever screen we have before us. Well printed at A2/A3 size is a different story I'm sure. This is the case for all cameras naturally.
    Secondly, the examples offered are all from the same camera so comparing what the fruit bowl looks like on said screens at 200ISO or 6400ISO only tells us what most of us know - digital camera makers always go at least one step up in their high ISO boastings; take any camera you like and whatever they say the maximum ISO is take it down a notch or two. In the case of this one I'd say 3200 for black and white and 1600 for colour, not bad but about par for the course.
    If we could see the exact same pictures taken with the Leica X1 and an M9 with a 35mm Summicron, then we'd see if Fuji have done their homework on the sensor. The rest of the camera is wonderful - it's the "film" inside that's the deal breaker.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    I am more prone to wait for the first reviews from the initial purchase, rather than make a decision on photos posted. There is too much variation which can take place, i believe.
    YMMV
    Well in about a week or two you will begin to get your answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is too much variation which can take place, i believe.
    How much variation there can be between now and shipments? Those cameras are already off the production line.

Also, do you believe DPR would post with Fuji's approval something that would be far under final output level?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Web Images

Firstly, one must not forget that we are always looking at 72dpi web images on whatever screen we have before us. Well printed at A2/A3 size is a different story I'm sure.
    One can compare output in many different ways. Printing is not the only one. If something performs visibly better at full screen sizes then that is a better starting point for prints too.

If we could see the exact same pictures taken with the Leica X1 and an M9 with a 35mm Summicron, then we'd see if Fuji have done their homework on the sensor. The rest of the camera is wonderful - it's the "film" inside that's the deal breaker.
    That, comparing apples to apples and substance/output mattering more than surface to some, we do agree on.

Post Thanks / Like

Well in about a week or two you will begin to get your answers.
    Terry
    I knew you may have one on order,<G> I believe there are more gear sluts on this forum than any other i visit, and i include myself in that description as well.

Hopefully it will not dissapoint.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry
    I knew you may have one on order,<G> I believe there are more gear sluts on this forum than any other i visit, and i include myself in that description as well.

Hopefully it will not dissapoint.
    Well, I do find it fun to try out different cameras. Selling them has been reasonably easy....however, if all is as it seems with the X100 it seems like one that will be a longer term companion.

The difference about the gear sluts on this forum is that we all seem to enjoy our photography and not just the gear, we want to learn from others, we do like to try shiny new things, don't get hung up on brand, and can appreciate when a good product comes a long or there is a step forward in technology even if it doesn't in the end suit our style.

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct about the gear. I started with Nikon, went to Sony, which i still have and really enjoy, and now have the Pentax K5 with the limiteds, and its great. I think this is a wonderful time to be a photographer, beginner or expert, and enjoy what is going on as a whole. This forum also shares more information than the others i visit, and i have never seen someone starting out talked down to by another member in that regard. It is fun.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought that I was the only one that was brand tolerant. That is I seem to have stuff from multiple manufacturers, and use the equipment best suited for the job at hand.

I too hope that the X100 lives up to most of its expectations.

Funny, I always thought that this behavior (or equipment variety) was some type of abnormality. Maybe its not!!!!

Martin

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The difference about the gear sluts on this forum is that we all seem to enjoy our photography and not just the gear, we want to learn from others, we do like to try shiny new things, don't get hung up on brand, and can appreciate when a good product comes a long or there is a step forward in technology even if it doesn't in the end suit our style.
    It is truly liberating using more than one brand of camera equipment. The evil spirit of brand defensiveness fades away leaving only the angel of how the heck do I get a good picture in this light.

Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    It is truly liberating using more than one brand of camera equipment. The evil spirit of brand defensiveness fades away leaving only the angel of how the heck do I get a good picture in this light.
    I find that when I have too much of too many different brands of equipment, I spend too much of my time making decisions as to what equipment to work with for a given activity. Cut it back to one system, a couple of lenses ... I spend my time thinking about how to make creative photographs.

I don't love any one brand over another ... I've had virtually every significant brand of gear in most formats at one time or another. Nikon, Leica, Rolleiflex, Hasselblad, Olympus, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Konica, Contax, Minox, Linhof, Plaubel, Zeiss Ikon, Fuji, Mamiya, Graflex, Alpa ... Each has its strengths and weaknesses, a couple I like more than others for one reason or another. All can make great photographs.

I am sticking with my Olympus gear as I like it and it works for what I want to do at present. I consider the X100 for when I want to do something a little different with less gear. :-)

jorgeAD

Arrow Re: Fujifilm X-100 testimonies surfacing

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Personally I feel they are too flat, I don't remember fruits that ever looked so anemic in real life.
    Isnt room to adjust an out of camera JPG a rare, desirable feature ?

If a JPG gets generic in-camera USM (to make it look "crispy") and you then want to print it larger than 8x10, the micro halo around edges (USM) gets enlarged along with the picture. Something akin with color, what most photographers consider snappy or "not anemic" is usually channel clipping...

Apparently the X100 default settings allow interpreting color, contrast and sharpening even from JPG. If one makes photographs as a form of expression not just reproduction, 12-bit raws provide even more room for interpretatio, yet I often find my students tweaking JPGs to no end...

Here is my reasoning behind the X100 cost: If an equivalent F2 pancake lens was available for DSLRs (the mirror chamber wont allow it) it wouldnt cost less than $500, since the 4/3 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake has a simpler design with fewer elements and goes for $400. The $500 Pentax smc DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited pancake is the closest I have found to the funky X100 lens design.

http://www.beanos.com/~tsoutij/wp/st...pancake-lenses

Add $100 for the microlens customization and you are paying in the order of $600 for the X100 body and sensor, not a bad deal at all considering its iso 3200 performance seems up there with the Pentax K-5 or Nikon D700 (both around $2000, without a lens).

I havent made my order yet, as sending stuff back from Central America is and I paid the early adopter premium on my $700 GRD2, PLUS there are multiple signs an all black version will be released right after the summer. By then Ebay is likely to offer shiny $999 X100s from "real" photographers who cant stand the single focal length or by connoisseurs who confirmed their $3000 Summicron beats a $500 pancake

http://www.youtube.com/user/JorgeAlban

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Even though the X100 appears to be an utterly amazing piece of engineering..decent lens, good high ISO, well controlled noise, silent operation, panorama stitching, lightning fast AF, and a brilliant overall execution in both the amazing finder and the body making it no doubt whatsoever at $1200 US an amazing value!)..still as a 12MP I was wondering,...IQ for IQ...(lens/sensor/imageprocessing, etc) I wonder how the Fuji will compare with the overpriced Leica X1. (Steve Huff recently posted his opinion that after all the raving he's done about other cameras lately, particularly amongst the EVF set...he thinks the IQ of the X1 still reigns supreme.)

Any thoughts? Or too soon to tell based on the scarce images so far. Personally I think it'll be negligible on an absolute basis but with all things considered it could be a total blowout once you take into account the overall handling, performance, design, construction and price.

(One more kudo to Fuji nice jab at Leica with the name! After all, X100 suggests that it's 100x better than the X1 LOL).
    Well the sensor of the X1 is identical to the sensor of the Nikon D300. I owned a D300 and my daughter is still using it four years later. it is (was) a great little camera so the X1 is endowed with a capable sensor. However the technology is a little long in the tooth so it will be interesting to see the results our folks can get from the X100. I look forward to owning one.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Well the sensor of the X1 is identical to the sensor of the Nikon D300
    Is it the same as Sony A500?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_R View Post
    Is it the same as Sony A500?
    LOL ... back again to the "it's the same sensor as ..." conversation once more. I think I've seen this merry-go-round spin here about five times since the X100 was announced.

Who cares what sensor it is "the same as" if it produces superb low-noise results at ISO 3200 and 6400 as the sample image files seem to indicate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    if it produces superb low-noise results at ISO 3200 and 6400 as the sample image files seem to indicate?
    Godfrey, it is not art to produce noiseless high ISO pictures - without details.
    I prefer best quality at low ISO, and in 2nd step - as good as possible - high ISO.

Unfortunately, there is a trend recently to glorify high ISO...