The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm X-100 testimonies surfacing

Anders_HK

"stunning" ??? Why??????

#1 at such small jpg how can you tell detail of shadow noise? Downsize an image when some noise and noise becomes small ;)

#2 colors are not balanced, look at reds. Could it be due to sensor not by Fuji? Has that been confirmed? In real production will colors be better, who knows????

#3 sharp lens per say but sharpening applied to jpgs is unknown.

With all marketing hype it is sound and wise not to smoke and illusion... :D... as for now seems as a beefy point and shoot with some real camera handling... and a gimmick electronic viewfinder switch... What else??? :toocool:

Needs more: Solid image quality??? Where is proof?

Regards
Anders

jonoslack

"stunning" ??? Why??????

#1 at such small jpg how can you tell detail of shadow noise? Downsize an image when some noise and noise becomes small ;)

#2 colors are not balanced, look at reds. Could it be due to sensor not by Fuji? Has that been confirmed? In real production will colors be better, who knows????

#3 sharp lens per say but sharpening applied to jpgs is unknown.

With all marketing hype it is sound and wise not to smoke and illusion... :D... as for now seems as a beefy point and shoot with some real camera handling... and a gimmick electronic viewfinder switch... What else??? :toocool:

Needs more: Solid image quality??? Where is proof?

Regards
Anders
HI Anders
My feeling absolutely - I've seen nice pictures taken with the camera (two little girls for instance); but that reflects on the photographer rather than the camera - this shot doesn't even do that (IMHO) it reflects on the scene rather than either the photographer or the camera.

I think the camera is a killer concept, and it's certainly temptingly tactile and devastatingly designed - all of which is really important, but working it is a different thing - I'd like to try it out (or at least listen to people who's opinions I trust) before committing what is quite a large dollop of dosh.

all the best

Anders_HK

HI Anders
I think the camera is a killer concept, and it's certainly temptingly tactile and devastatingly designed - all of which is really important, but working it is a different thing - I'd like to try it out (or at least listen to people who's opinions I trust) before committing what is quite a large dollop of dosh.
Hi Jono,

Very exact indeed. In my humble opinion it seems this thing is way over marketed and it may well have made people having gotten hands on to use a preproduction model to rave.... and others seeing photos made with it to rave of small jpgs. I agree it is very interesting camera but true verdict will be down to image quality and for that I still waiting to see. Else, why? I have iPhone and Leaf :D.

I am not concerned with colors in last link posted above. Besides, why have all that electronic in viewfinder that cost $$ when instead same could have been spent on a killer sensor and less gimmicks in camera??? If truly aimed for professionals...

Perhaps it is just me, but... rather than buy one more small camera same as the ones I already have owned and ditched after a few months... it is wise to wait and see. ;)... :watch:

Regards
Anders

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Perhaps it is just me, but... rather than buy one more small camera same as the ones I already have owned and ditched after a few months... it is wise to wait and see. ;)... :watch:

Regards
Anders
Indeed - I've lost count of the number I've had . . . ep1, ep2. gf1, dlux4, x1 etc. etc. All lovely in one way or another, and all ending up on ebay sooner or later.

Not that it makes this any less attractive! :eek:

tom in mpls

If truly aimed for professionals...
Is it? My sense is that it is aimed at the well-heeled amateur, which is a bigger market, and of course they would hope professionals would take to it, also.

BTW I am bowled over by the chatter. I am hoping it lives up to expectiations, but I'm afraid this will be impossible as expectations rise to stratopheric levels.

If you are wondering about my personal interest in the camera, I have a preorder in at Precision Camera and J&R.

Terry

Indeed - I've lost count of the number I've had . . . ep1, ep2. gf1, dlux4, x1 etc. etc. All lovely in one way or another, and all ending up on ebay sooner or later.

Not that it makes this any less attractive! :eek:
For some of us just trying them out is a lot of fun and don't mind cycling through them in search of the gem that just clicks with our brain and sparks some creative fun.

jonoslack

For some of us just trying them out is a lot of fun and don't mind cycling through them in search of the gem that just clicks with our brain and sparks some creative fun.
HI Terry
Of course - and I've had a lot of fun trying them out as well . . . . .which is one reason why I might just end up with one of these! Added to which, as we both know, if you buy sensibly and pass them on reasonably quickly it's not too painful a financial experience (especially if they're in short supply).

TCSJordan

Hands on video. Flash synch looks awesome for strobists and outdoor AF in high contrast seems very fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3oyhQGcKYs
I had fun shooting theat video. I didn't have a lot of time with the camera, but here are my brief hands-on impressions:

Everything feels exactly how it should in your hands. Having a manual shutter and aperture dial with visible markers bring me right back to shooting with a rangefinder. It's very satisfying.

The viewfinder is amazing. Despite the AF support, I found myself just manually focusing and shooting like it was an M3. However, the option to switch to an EVF for critical focusing was hugely useful.

This will most likely wind up being my next camera, and I buy cameras very sparingly. And the shots that Tyler Stalman took convinced me of the optical potential for this camera.

Thanks for checking out the video.

Jordan @ The Camera Store

peterb

Even though the X100 appears to be an utterly amazing piece of engineering..decent lens, good high ISO, well controlled noise, silent operation, panorama stitching, lightning fast AF, and a brilliant overall execution in both the amazing finder and the body making it no doubt whatsoever at $1200 US an amazing value!)..still as a 12MP I was wondering,...IQ for IQ...(lens/sensor/imageprocessing, etc) I wonder how the Fuji will compare with the overpriced Leica X1. (Steve Huff recently posted his opinion that after all the raving he's done about other cameras lately, particularly amongst the EVF set...he thinks the IQ of the X1 still reigns supreme.)

Any thoughts? Or too soon to tell based on the scarce images so far. Personally I think it'll be negligible on an absolute basis but with all things considered it could be a total blowout once you take into account the overall handling, performance, design, construction and price.

(One more kudo to Fuji nice jab at Leica with the name! After all, X100 suggests that it's 100x better than the X1 LOL).

J

jorgeAD

Re: Direct Link

Sorry, it seems the direct link is to:

"AccessDeniedRequest has expired8CF49593221316A62011-02-25T18:37:50Z2oL+hN3PCa7+WfNHaG/ogr4ZN+FqwO7VqslsUZHznyR5BUYEeRZFoIhgWeVWDD8x2011-02-25T19:45:43Z"
Mmm funny, it works for me every time, even in your quoted message. Might have something to do with dpreview no allowing deep-linking of images. Guess youll have to take the long route:

http://dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/fujifilm-finepix-x100-pre-production-samples

IMHO: FujiFilm has done it again. The prospect of high quality photography and picture taking experience (at least in this non Leica price range) in low light with a semi-compact digital camera evoques the opening of new picture taking possibilities I felt after my first rolls of Velvia 50 in the early Nineties...

Last edited:

ZoranC

I looked earlier today at samples DPR posted and honestly I feel there is nothing there to write home about.

Personally I feel they are too flat, I don't remember fruits that ever looked so anemic in real life.

Also I feel sharpness is far from claimed "body/lens combo optimized for sharpness starting from wide open". I do not see impressive sharpness even at 5.6 apertures (where they claim maximum sharpness should be) even on objects that should be well within DOF, like parts of bridge of buildings.

All in all, I feel even if I am not absolutely correct that I do not see results that would make me rave to $1200 amount. I have a feeling X1 in the end gives better value back even at almost double the price.