The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji Finepix X100 Show Report

m3photo

Re: Pistol Grip

BTW I am not advocating that a pistol grip would be a superior design; I really don't know.
I do. The minute you take it out of the bag you'll have all manner of "anti-terrorist" paranoiacs jumping on you - the photographer as it is is already an instant suspect for these people.

Godfrey

Jono, some changes cannot be incremental. For instance, there is no way the body style could change gradually from the standard rectangular prism shape to a pistol grip design. The only way to go from A to B is via a "revolutionary" change. I hope manufacturers are spending some design money to explore possible "revolutionary" designs. BTW I am not advocating that a pistol grip would be a superior design; I really don't know.
Having used pistol grips with several cameras (Rolleiflex TLR, Hasseblad, Mamiya 1000TL, Nikon F3 w MD-4, Linhof 120/220 press, etc), I'd say that such designs address a niche use and are somewhat bulky and clumsy in general for still camera operation.

jonoslack

Re: Pistol Grip

I do. The minute you take it out of the bag you'll have all manner of "anti-terrorist" paranoiacs jumping on you - the photographer as it is is already an instant suspect for these people.
Added to which, pointing something which resembles a gun is really not the best way to make them relaxed!

tom in mpls

OK then, the pistol grip is a bad idea. (Maybe it works great, but I had never considered this other problem.) I'll await other, safer, revolutionary designs.

Teski

I just pulled the trigger (although I imagine it will take a while).

On a another note, I don't even look at the DPReview forums if I can help it... it's like a bunch of whiny children over there. Fred Miranda is decent, but this form is easily one of the best on the web.
I think I need to spend more time over here. I always forget to come over to these civilized forums, and then I see posts or e-mail from Terry and I'm reminded that there are much nicer forums and people than the ones at DPR. There are great people over there too, but so much cr** to wade through. :) After 10+ years over there it's hard to break the habit.

Great conversations going on here about the X100. Looking forward to getting mine, especially after the more recent videos and posts with the performance and higher ISO images.