The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the Truth about X100 AF Performance?

barjohn

I now have hands on experience and I will tell you I think it meets Fuji's specs. You will more likely be held back by your reflex time. :)

barjohn

Hi Terry,

Yes, I got one from Japan. I have only had it since yesterday but so far I am really impressed. As much as the Leica philes will hate it, it really is the camera Leica should have made. I am still learning and adjusting a bit but the overall quality is outstanding. I even like the way the lens cap has this soft felt lining and pushes on smoothly. It reminds me of my dad's cameras from 40-50 years ago.

I don't yet have enough experience shooting moving targets to see how the AF does with them but on still subjects it seems to focus as fast as I can push the button.

I think you are familiar with Fuji's terminology and the manual fails to provide much information on highlight tone, & shadow tone. How do these relate to contrast?

If anyone has any questions they want answered, please ask and I will do my best to answer them.

barjohn

The manual doesn't tell you how to see what version of the firmware you have or how to install a firmware upgrade. I have found the secret. Hold the Disp/Back button in while you turn the camera on. You can then see the version number.

monza

The AF is plenty fast, even when it's in OVF Power Save mode. We did some AF comparisons between NEX, X1, GF2 and X100. Will post the findings on http://x100forum.com.

This camera was very well thought out. ND filter is killer... :)

cjlacz

I played with one at Yodobashi in Shinjuku yesterday admid the earthquake recovery. The AF seemed slightly faster than my GF1 + 20mm. It's not up to the speed of the newest m4/3s cameras and you might want to keep it on MF if you are looking for the decisive moment.

I hadn't read much about it before playing with it. I wasn't sure what i was expecting, but not being able to focus through the OVF was a little surprising. It does have the focus distance marked below with the DOF range. I didn't find it as easy to focus with the EVF as I had hoped. You need to move the focus ring quite a bit to adjust focus, too far if aren't close to being focused already. The AF button + MF is probably going to be common. I didn't check the firmware version though.

Besides that I liked it quite a bit. Seemed fairly responsive. I didn't switch the menu to English, but looked easy enough to navigate through. I like being able to adjust and aperture ring and shutter speed directly and having it automatically switch between P/A/S/M depending on how you had them adjusted. Having a mirror-less system with interchangeable lenses that incorporated an aperture ring (and maybe the shutter speed dial) would be very appealing to me. Any modes besides the normal ones could be accessed through a menu/button. Image quality seemed great and the lens too.

I love the look of the camera with the OVF, but I'm not sure how useful it is. Street shooting with a large DOF it could be pretty useful. I think I'd be just as happy with only an EVF, especially if it was implemented a little better.

monza

We did the following AF speed comparison between Panasonic GF2 with 20mm f/1.7, Leica X1, and X100.

X100 seemed to be just as fast as the GF2 with the X1 coming in 3rd.

A simple test...half-shutter button press, wait for AF beep and/or LED light.

All cameras were set to single point AF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSP-JpLQlNk

Terry

The x100 seems just fine to me. The two AF problems that I find annoying are:

1) the back and forth honing in on focus - think of the Oly E-P1 when it first came out with a combo of slow AF and a kit lens that had a slow design.
2) AF that is indecisive and you have to try and get focus a few times to get the camera to lock in (my biggest surprise and frustration on the Canon S95 and G12).