The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 images thread...let's get this party started....

scho

Absolutely predictable. My new X100 arrives on a gloomy, pouring rain day. Best I could do for first shots was peeking out the door and inside the house in dim light. I already feel bonded with this camera and have no complaints yet. Only first stupid mistake was - Why is the camera making weird noises? Duh - AF switch was set to CF :eek:

Rich M

Absolutely predictable. My new X100 arrives on a gloomy, pouring rain day. Best I could do for first shots was peeking out the door and inside the house in dim light.
Hey Carl.....ever since you said you ordered one, I've been waiting for your first pics.

I'm eager to hear your observations as well.

R

woodyspedden

Absolutely predictable. My new X100 arrives on a gloomy, pouring rain day. Best I could do for first shots was peeking out the door and inside the house in dim light. I already feel bonded with this camera and have no complaints yet. Only first stupid mistake was - Why is the camera making weird noises? Duh - AF switch was set to CF :eek:

Hey Carl

Looks like upstate N.Y. weather is about the same as Colorado. Wet and gloomy. Only good news for us is that we have been in a serious drought again. We had forest fires in April! At least the fire danger is under control now.

Enjoy you X100. I am not yet convinced I need both my K-5 and X100 but I am not going to make any quick decisions. I love the files from the X100.

Best

Woody

scho

Hey Carl.....ever since you said you ordered one, I've been waiting for your first pics.

I'm eager to hear your observations as well.

R
Hi Rich,

Not much to offer yet in the way of pics. It is still early times, but so far I am very pleased with the X100 performance and image quality.

jonoslack

Hi Rich,

Not much to offer yet in the way of pics. It is still early times, but so far I am very pleased with the X100 performance and image quality.
Hi There
Congratulations from me - good to know that you're enjoying it.

all the best

m3photo

Re: fotografz

I can quite understand Marc's point of view that he doesn't like the look - it's a bit odd, and these oddities are a matter of taste - no need to misrepresent/misinterpret Marc's spectacularly good photography to find a reason for his opinion.

Yikes! No, that's the title of the image I recommend everyone starts off with when appreciating Marc's excellent eye:

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2684&c=member&imageuser=58

Thanks Jono, it prompted me to visit the man's fine work. :)

scho

Hey Carl

Looks like upstate N.Y. weather is about the same as Colorado. Wet and gloomy. Only good news for us is that we have been in a serious drought again. We had forest fires in April! At least the fire danger is under control now.

Enjoy you X100. I am not yet convinced I need both my K-5 and X100 but I am not going to make any quick decisions. I love the files from the X100.

Best

Woody
Thanks Woody, I'm also uncertain about keeping both the K5 and X100. Both cameras produce beautiful images.

Hi There
Congratulations from me - good to know that you're enjoying it.

all the best
Thank you Jono. We will miss seeing your excellent work with the X100 in this forum.

fotografz

Since photographs are a personal taste thing, it helps to have a reference point as to what you like so that one can interpret your critique in light of your personal preferences. In looking at your photographs, you appear to prefer the grainy look with high contrast B&W. Even your color shots appear to have strong contrast. Personally, I don't like the grainy look as it appears to be a contrived look to match some older master photographer's look. I believe, they obtained that look because it was the best their equipment and film was capable of producing and that had they had modern equipment the look would have been different but that is just my guess. Of course, high contrast and more vivid colors along with shallow DOF tend to give images more "pop" on a screen as we used to see in Kodachrome projected form a slide projector. Also, if you are using an M8 or M9 with its poor high ISO performance you are somewhat forced to go for the grainy B&W look as the color noise is horribly blotchy. I suspect the image you cited was soft for two reasons, some veiling flare and slightly our of focus but maybe that is the look he wanted.
I suspect you were looking at my Gallery here on GetDpi ... most of which features personal work shot with older Leica M's and B&W film ... on purpose. So, not as much "contrived" as it is using the same tools as the "Older Masters" ... because I do indeed subjectively like the look, feel and character of that type of work. My commercial work is something altogether different.

Don't get me wrong, the X100 is a nifty little camera and I appreciate the images that everyone is producing with it ... just not my cup of tea as far as the IQ is concerned (IQ meaning Image Qualities as opposed to Image Quality.) Which, as mentioned, is strictly subjective. I am grateful for the posts, it saved me buying a X100 and then selling it a month later. Proof once again that it is better to wait when a new item comes to market and see what talented folks do with it. Some will love it, others will not ... same as with any photographic tool.

-Marc

ND filter on Fuji.

First shot at f/2 with ND filter ON.
Second shot at f/2 with ND filter OFF (as if it weren't obvious).
Second shot kind of cool so I converted to BW and boosted contrast a bit.

ND filter ON

ND filter OFF

OlliL

Joe, like em both, eventhough I have played a little with exposure compensation for the first one.

Regards
Oliver

D&A

Wow, Joe, did you notice how the X100 changed the positions of the people once the ND filter came off? :)

(funny, I was thinking you took one shot and then immediately the 2nd one after removing the filter....so I had to do a double take when I noticed people were re-arranged...LOL)

Seriously, I think the 2nd shot nails it for me...very creative use of the camera and the resulting image. Very nice!

Dave (D&A)

Sapphie

Joe - Great shots!!

Just some 'playing' from me this evening. Some simple 'macros' or close ups:

And, this baby just wants to be picked up and taken out ... these are after 9pm here in the UK - it is getting dark!

So easy to see through the OVF, so easy to hold, so quiet, so unobtrusive and the ISO 3200 is pretty good too ...

All RAW, no NR applied, just a little 'auto tone' in LR.

Don't knock me, I'm still learning but this camera has to be a keeper.

Lee

Last edited:
Wow, Joe, did you notice how the X100 changed the positions of the people once the ND filter came off? :)

(funny, I was thinking you took one shot and then immediately the 2nd one after removing the filter....so I had to do a double take when I noticed people were re-arranged...LOL)

Seriously, I think the 2nd shot nails it for me...very creative use of the camera and the resulting image. Very nice!

Dave (D&A)
Thanks Ollil, Lee and Dave.
Nice shooting Lee.
Yes, a little compensation needed Ollil.
Good observation Dave.
Yes another x100 bug.
The 3-stop ND filter re-arrranges people and inadvertently filters out one subject matter.
Hopefully this is an easy firmware fix.