The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 images thread...let's get this party started....

Sapphie

Brian

It's mine that may be a little poorly. Anyway, hope to have it fixed next week. the problem is intermittent enough that I still feel confident using it this weekend, hopefully.

Lee

Brian Mosley

OMG, I love this camera.

Just a handful from today... I'm beginning to get the street shooting bug :D

1/900s f/2.8 at 23.0mm iso200

1/210s f/5.6 at 23.0mm iso200

1/600s f/4.0 at 23.0mm iso200

1/500s f/4.0 at 23.0mm iso200

1/400s f/4.0 at 23.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian

raist3d

I could quite happily live with the X100 as my only camera... it's a very natural way of seeing.

Thanks for looking

Brian
Hah, didn't know you actually went for one. I think forced to use a prime, I learn more about the composition, using my feet, not being so lazy. The bad temptation I have seen in me at times though is cropping. Need to stop doing that though I don't do it all the time or such.

I don't have an X100 but I basically use my Pentax mostly on two primes- at a 32 mm equivalent focal and at a 105 mm equivalent focal. And going back to zooms, I have felt "dirty."

The issue with zooms is that it's so easy to forget it changes perspective. The shot really looks different once this sensibility "sinks in." I find for me the best way to use a zoom now is to think of predetermined "prime" focal lengths to shoot at and use it accordingly, though zooming on a particular situation can still be nice, but again it is a the price of changing perspective.

- Raist

Brian Mosley

It's strange, I very rarely crop with m4/3rds - even though I use the 20mm f1.7 a lot. I'm just getting more into shooting people though with the X100, and sometimes didn't get close enough.

With practice, I expect to get in closer, and crop less.

The 35mm perspective is definitely where I want to be though.

Cheers

Brian

Sapphie

Well done, Mikoo, indeed they are wonderful.

Just an inane techy question - did you shoot in Manual Focus with the AFL/AEL button?

Lee

Brian Mosley

Lee, your last shot of the boats is my favourite... keep 'em coming!

You're right Ricardo, Fuji has a first class jpeg engine... I was playing with Qimage Ultimate (which has a native .RAF converter) and Lightzone to convert the raw file here :

Here's a straight jpeg conversion in-camera - just scaled for web using Lightzone.

This using my jpeg preferred defaults :

Dynamic Range : 100
Film Simulation : Astia/Soft
Colour : M-HIGH
Sharpness : HARD
Highlight Tone : M-SOFT
Shadow Tone : M-HARD
Noise Reduction : STD
Colour Space : sRGB

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:

Sapphie

Hi Brian

It's my favourite of these too - the X100 captured the light so perfectly. The other shots just show (to me) how versatile this little beauty is. The church shot was handheld at ISO 3200, of course ...

Lee

tbhv55

Hi all, this is my first post after "lurking" for some time... there's some very nice work on here, and it seems a friendly and helpful place.

I have had the x100 for several months, and have found it totally absorbing (and occasionally irritating). Overall, it's really enjoyable to use, and the results are superb - at least, they are on the rare occasions when I get MY part of the job done properly! I’ve found that, in use, the x100 requires a little acclimatisation in order to get the best out of it, but it’s worth the effort. I’ve also found that an unfortunate side-effect of having the x100 is that my 5D is gathering dust, along with assorted lenses. Perhaps I should sell them.

Anyway, I’m now looking forward to enjoying more of the excellent contributions on this forum…

P.S. @Lee. Was your shot of the boats taken at Budleigh Salterton?