The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does the X100 need a Thumbs Up ??

Millsart

hows the handling of the X100 feel ?

I know on the Leica I found the Thumbs Up pretty much a requirement, though the Thumbie actually works pretty well too

Does anyone feel the Thumbs Up would be worth getting ?

Also given the prices of the X1/X100 model, might it make more sense to pick up the basic version which can be had used pretty cheap and just grind it down a bit ??

I think I certainly want to get a soft release, just for looks as much as anything, but haven't heard much in the way of complaints about the cameras handling so maybe a thumb grip isn't a must have.

Godfrey

No idea about a "thumbs up" but I never liked the "soft release" gizmos ... it always made me jiggle the camera much more than rolling my finger onto the shutter release from the guard surround the way it was designed originally.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have heard that Tim Isaac is studying the idea of a thumbs up. I put my M9 thumbs up on my X-100, and that would not work. The thumb wheel is covered by the thumbs-up. I have seen a mock up of a model that is located higher up, but that seems to hamper using the dials on top.
I'm going to wait and see what he comes up.

hows the handling of the X100 feel ?

I know on the Leica I found the Thumbs Up pretty much a requirement, though the Thumbie actually works pretty well too

Does anyone feel the Thumbs Up would be worth getting ?

Also given the prices of the X1/X100 model, might it make more sense to pick up the basic version which can be had used pretty cheap and just grind it down a bit ??

I think I certainly want to get a soft release, just for looks as much as anything, but haven't heard much in the way of complaints about the cameras handling so maybe a thumb grip isn't a must have.

barjohn

I would be concerned about the pressure on the hot shoe. Some X1's using a Thumbs Up have had hot shoe failures. We can't be sure it is due to the Thumbs Up but on the X1 it is held by screws. I can't see how the hot shoe is held on the X100. Might eb an adhesive based attachment. The screws could be hidden by the spring plate too. One just can't tell by a visual inspection. I would proceed with caution in putting undue leveraged pressure on a part not designed to withstand the pressure.

ashwinrao1

I have it on good word that a X100 Thumbs Up is in the works...Until then, the X1-version works reasonably well...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The X100 feels fine to me without one.
So does the M8, MP, and M9 fpr me at least.
Anyway, the lower weight of the x100 seems to reduce its justification.
-bob

Armanius

I'd like to see a Thumbs Up for the X100. Would definitely improve the ergonomics, especially for someone with longer fingers.

OlliL

I have the lower case attached, as the grip is just a little bit to small for me, without it.
Would love to see a Thumbs Up in the near future.

dhsimmonds

I use just the half case and find that is sufficient grip without the need for a thumbs uo, although I believe that one is in the pipeline especially for the X100.

The Fuji leather case is quite a good design and allows for un-popping the top half when required. It does not require use of the tripod bush either so it is very simple to remove the camera to change battery or card.

Millsart

I think it certainly makes sense for them to make one as the X100 certainly seems like it does a larger sales volume than the X1, and the X1 was worth making a grip for.

I agree with Bob that the lighter weight no doubt does make it a bit easier to hold, as a M body with a Lux for example is getting pretty heavy and certainly a camera you really want to feel secure in your hand.

I just overall found the Thumbs Up to make it a bit more ergonomic, even with lighter lens, by allowing me to hold the camera with my thumb/bottom 3 fingers, rather than trying to squeeze it in my palm with the thumb more wrapped around the body.

Just made the camera sort of feel like it was sitting really stable and secure and did help a bit for slower shutter speeds.

Hopefully some other venders start offering half cases as well. I would LOVE a black leather case with red stitching for the X100

dhsimmonds

Hopefully some other venders start offering half cases as well. I would LOVE a black leather case with red stitching for the X100
Also Luigi is also producing both half and full cases, straps etc. Even pricier though, but excellent quality!

jpmac55

I like how the camera handles and will not be purchasing a thumbs up. I will get the leather case at some point which looks like it could enhance handling.

woodyspedden

I find that I inadvertently hit the exposure comp dial quite often.

I think a thumbs up like device would help prevent this

Woody

barjohn

I had the thumbs up with the M8 and it worked well with that camera. I just don't see any way it will work with this camera without interfering with the command control. I'm not willing to give up the use of the command control for a thumbs up.

Millsart

I had the thumbs up with the M8 and it worked well with that camera. I just don't see any way it will work with this camera without interfering with the command control. I'm not willing to give up the use of the command control for a thumbs up.

Because they make a different thumbs up than the one for the M series. Its designed for the X1 but it fits the X100 as well. Its narrower to not cover the control

OlliL

Nevermind, found the video.
From their Website, it seems that they wont offer a dedicated version for the X100 and just advertise the CSEP-2 as compatible.