Site Sponsors

Thread: Does the X100 need a Thumbs Up ??

Post Thanks / Like

Does the X100 need a Thumbs Up ??

hows the handling of the X100 feel ?

I know on the Leica I found the Thumbs Up pretty much a requirement, though the Thumbie actually works pretty well too

Does anyone feel the Thumbs Up would be worth getting ?

Also given the prices of the X1/X100 model, might it make more sense to pick up the basic version which can be had used pretty cheap and just grind it down a bit ??

I think I certainly want to get a soft release, just for looks as much as anything, but haven't heard much in the way of complaints about the cameras handling so maybe a thumb grip isn't a must have.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does the X100 need a Thumbs Up ??

No idea about a "thumbs up" but I never liked the "soft release" gizmos ... it always made me jiggle the camera much more than rolling my finger onto the shutter release from the guard surround the way it was designed originally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have heard that Tim Isaac is studying the idea of a thumbs up. I put my M9 thumbs up on my X-100, and that would not work. The thumb wheel is covered by the thumbs-up. I have seen a mock up of a model that is located higher up, but that seems to hamper using the dials on top.
    I'm going to wait and see what he comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
    hows the handling of the X100 feel ?

I know on the Leica I found the Thumbs Up pretty much a requirement, though the Thumbie actually works pretty well too

Does anyone feel the Thumbs Up would be worth getting ?

Also given the prices of the X1/X100 model, might it make more sense to pick up the basic version which can be had used pretty cheap and just grind it down a bit ??

I think I certainly want to get a soft release, just for looks as much as anything, but haven't heard much in the way of complaints about the cameras handling so maybe a thumb grip isn't a must have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would be concerned about the pressure on the hot shoe. Some X1's using a Thumbs Up have had hot shoe failures. We can't be sure it is due to the Thumbs Up but on the X1 it is held by screws. I can't see how the hot shoe is held on the X100. Might eb an adhesive based attachment. The screws could be hidden by the spring plate too. One just can't tell by a visual inspection. I would proceed with caution in putting undue leveraged pressure on a part not designed to withstand the pressure.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have it on good word that a X100 Thumbs Up is in the works...Until then, the X1-version works reasonably well...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The X100 feels fine to me without one.
    So does the M8, MP, and M9 fpr me at least.
    Anyway, the lower weight of the x100 seems to reduce its justification.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd like to see a Thumbs Up for the X100. Would definitely improve the ergonomics, especially for someone with longer fingers.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I have the lower case attached, as the grip is just a little bit to small for me, without it.
    Would love to see a Thumbs Up in the near future.
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use just the half case and find that is sufficient grip without the need for a thumbs uo, although I believe that one is in the pipeline especially for the X100.

The Fuji leather case is quite a good design and allows for un-popping the top half when required. It does not require use of the tripod bush either so it is very simple to remove the camera to change battery or card.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think it certainly makes sense for them to make one as the X100 certainly seems like it does a larger sales volume than the X1, and the X1 was worth making a grip for.

I agree with Bob that the lighter weight no doubt does make it a bit easier to hold, as a M body with a Lux for example is getting pretty heavy and certainly a camera you really want to feel secure in your hand.

I just overall found the Thumbs Up to make it a bit more ergonomic, even with lighter lens, by allowing me to hold the camera with my thumb/bottom 3 fingers, rather than trying to squeeze it in my palm with the thumb more wrapped around the body.

Just made the camera sort of feel like it was sitting really stable and secure and did help a bit for slower shutter speeds.

Hopefully some other venders start offering half cases as well. I would LOVE a black leather case with red stitching for the X100

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully some other venders start offering half cases as well. I would LOVE a black leather case with red stitching for the X100

JnK already does.
    Pricey, but I haven't heard anything bad about their cases.
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also Luigi is also producing both half and full cases, straps etc. Even pricier though, but excellent quality!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like how the camera handles and will not be purchasing a thumbs up. I will get the leather case at some point which looks like it could enhance handling.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find that I inadvertently hit the exposure comp dial quite often.

I think a thumbs up like device would help prevent this

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the thumbs up with the M8 and it worked well with that camera. I just don't see any way it will work with this camera without interfering with the command control. I'm not willing to give up the use of the command control for a thumbs up.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I had the thumbs up with the M8 and it worked well with that camera. I just don't see any way it will work with this camera without interfering with the command control. I'm not willing to give up the use of the command control for a thumbs up.

Because they make a different thumbs up than the one for the M series. Its designed for the X1 but it fits the X100 as well. Its narrower to not cover the control

Post Thanks / Like

Because they make a different thumbs up than the one for the M series. Its designed for the X1 but it fits the X100 as well. Its narrower to not cover the control
    Do you have a pic?
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind, found the video.
    From their Website, it seems that they wont offer a dedicated version for the X100 and just advertise the CSEP-2 as compatible.
    My Flickr