The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone tried hyperfocal?

Sapphie

Apparently the lens is sharpest at f/4.

Still doesn't stop us die-hard large DOf field guys wanting more.

You can set the AF/AEL button to activate auto-focus.

If you now set the camera in Manual focus mode, you can press the AF/AEL button to do the initial focus automatically. I know that others have said that manual focusing is really tricky BUT leaving that aside for the moment, you can display a distance scale in manual focus, even in the OVF (and even in feet rather than metres for old farts like me). As part of this distance scale it shows where the focus point is AND the range of distances in focus for the given aperture.

I haven't tried it in the field yet but is the first genuinely useful implementation of a hyperfocal aid in the digital era?

Lee

jonoslack

Apparently the lens is sharpest at f/4.

Still doesn't stop us die-hard large DOf field guys wanting more.

You can set the AF/AEL button to activate auto-focus.

If you now set the camera in Manual focus mode, you can press the AF/AEL button to do the initial focus automatically. I know that others have said that manual focusing is really tricky BUT leaving that aside for the moment, you can display a distance scale in manual focus, even in the OVF (and even in feet rather than metres for old farts like me). As part of this distance scale it shows where the focus point is AND the range of distances in focus for the given aperture.

I haven't tried it in the field yet but is the first genuinely useful implementation of a hyperfocal aid in the digital era?

Lee
Hi Lee
congratulations on your new toy.

Worth mentioning that the AE/AF lock button ALWAYS focuses when you've set manual focus mode - suddenly it's function changes!

It's one of the Known / Unknowns in this Donald Rumsfeld of a camera :)

It's good for me as I like to use the AE/AF lock button to lock the exposure and not the focus - but I also like to be able to do a snap focus in MF mode - incidentally, this also means that you don't need to go into macro mode (set it on MF and press the AE/AF button).

Incidentally, whatever your feelings about Steve, this is worth a read:

Steve Huff's 7 things and the X100

all the best

Sapphie

Jono

Cheers for that; it sort of makes sense but I doubt I would have figured that out any time soon. So, when in manual mode it always auto-focuses regardless of how it is set, and the setting takes effect when it is in any AF mode?

Lee

jonoslack

Jono

Cheers for that; it sort of makes sense but I doubt I would have figured that out any time soon. So, when in manual mode it always auto-focuses regardless of how it is set, and the setting takes effect when it is in any AF mode?

Lee
That's the one

while we're about it - you'll soon notice that when you put it in macro mode, it seems to come out of it again without warning - basically, if you change a setting it reverts back to whatever mode it was in before!

(see the steve huff link I put in the edit as well).

Sapphie

Probably a good reason for that - almost wish I could be 'in the mind' of whoever developed this one, assuming it wasn't one s/w developer for manual mode, another for Af and a third for RAW capture, LOL.

Anyway, just one from my first day out, macro mode:

Lee