Site Sponsors

Thread: New to Fuji x100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New to Fuji x100

beginner questions;
    could not load Raw files to light room so downloaded the Fuji finePix viewer software but now all files (from my other cameras) load to finePix and not light room. Do i need to have finePix on my computer?
    shooting raw had many photos underexposed? should i shoot jpeg since i am new to digital photography and drive my self nuts with Light room? thanks for the advice in advance. Jay

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New to Fuji x100

Jay
    Something in your preference on FinePix might have everything migrating there.
    The files should load up into lightroom. There is a profile in LR to handle the X100 RAWs. I've seen in a number of places where people are saying the RAW is coming into LR underexposed. I haven't seen that yet. I'm not sure if picking the profile in LR corrects this or if perhaps there is some setting on the camera that is causing the problem.
    As for LR not accepting your RAWs look at the LR preferences to see if you have it set up to get the RAWs and jpegs? Or if you have upgraded your LR to the most current version that has X100 support (version 3.4)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LR 3.4 should handle them just fine.

I have noticed a rather interesting "anomaly" in the RAW X100 file. Yesterday I shot RAW and JPG together for the first time. I had been shooting JPG's only for the first few weeks I had the camera. It was pretty bright out and I didn't want my highlights to completely blow out, so I set the EC to (-)0.3 and (-)0.7.

The out of camera JPG looked great.....the RAW file however was very underexposed.....almost one-two stops.

Since I'll be shooting more RAW in the future, I will be more prudent using the exposure compensation.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jay
    Something in your preference on FinePix might have everything migrating there.
    The files should load up into lightroom. There is a profile in LR to handle the X100 RAWs. I've seen in a number of places where people are saying the RAW is coming into LR underexposed. I haven't seen that yet. I'm not sure if picking the profile in LR corrects this or if perhaps there is some setting on the camera that is causing the problem.
    As for LR not accepting your RAWs look at the LR preferences to see if you have it set up to get the RAWs and jpegs? Or if you have upgraded your LR to the most current version that has X100 support (version 3.4)
    Thanks uploaded the 3.4 and that is accepting the raw fuji files thanks. do you know how to adjust the preferences for fine pix? do i even need that now that LR is updated?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the X100 camera profile, does LR3.4 also have a lens profile for the f/2 Fujinon?
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    In addition to the X100 camera profile, does LR3.4 also have a lens profile for the f/2 Fujinon?
    yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't need the FinePix application and in my opinion it isn't worth giving up disk space for so I would remove it.

Until you apply the Profile correction, RAW will appear to be underexposed compared to the JPG but it isn't 1 or 2 stops.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jayt View Post
    beginner questions;
    could not load Raw files to light room Jay
    Jay, Lightroom like all other RAW conversion programs should be regularly updated to ensure that the latest camera profiles are incorporated, otherwise the camera RAW files will not be recognised. Try loading the latest updates and then see if LR3.4 recognises Fuji RAF (RAW) files.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New to Fuji x100 thank you for all the advice

Thank you all for the help. this camera stuff is a lot more work than i remember fron high school. ha