Site Sponsors

Thread: X100 why I'm not selling mine!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

X100 why I'm not selling mine!

Well, I reserve the right to be inconsistent!
    Actually, as it didn't sell, I sent an email to my dealer, who forwarded it to Fuji UK, who were immediately helful, responsive, realistic and absolutely not defensive - they recognised the shortcomings, said that they were asking Japan to take action, and the dealer offered to give me my money back (with a 10% restocking charge - not bad having taken 600 shots). The whole attitude was responsive and helpful.

. . . . . . . . which left a good taste in my mouth, so I went out and took some more pictures - but this time, rather than trying to fight with it, I tried to work with it:

It's not an M9 . . but it isn't anything else either, and seems to have a character all of it's own. What's more, it's fun to shoot with.

Fun to shoot + nice images = keeper

!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: X100 why I'm not selling mine!

Good for you. Not that you've ever been afraid of reversing yourself or admitting mistake. I'm glad you reconsidered if its a fun cam to shoot and you can get shots like this out of it (admittedly the photographer comes into play here LOL) all of which I like the best of anything Ive seen you shoot with it. They all have a character/feel of their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Good decision, hope you didn't drank the water. There is a spider!
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Jonot
    Fantastic. It IS a keeper indeed. Nobody would even pretend it's an M9 (which is 5000 before glass) or an 'M' anything but I was out with mine (X100 that is) this morning and also with my K5+43mm and spent more time with the X100 ...

Anyway, you have taken some great shots ...

Lee

P.S. Like pics 1,2 and 3 the most ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Jono! Worth a bit more time, I think. Funny how life's twists turn us in different directions. It oddly didn't sell, and you have now grown with it
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL!

I guess I don't suffer from equipment angst or whatever it is that motivates these kinds of threads. If I like a camera I keep it and shoot with it. If I don't I get rid of it. I feel no pressing need to explain why in either case, or discuss reversals in my feelings, or compare it with some other camera I like or dislike, etc.

The X100 seems a very capable camera. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would when I handled Terry's, and subsequent handling at B&H confirmed that feeling again. I'm happy with what I decided to buy instead, which is what it is and isn't the same as the other cameras which I also like and use.

Enjoy your camera. Take pictures with it. If you don't like it, get rid of it and move on. :-)

In New York City on a soggy day with the GXR...

Chinatown, Manhattan
    photo 2011 by Ann Sanfedele

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I had a thread "I'm not selling my M9" or something like that. I kept working with it, and finally changed my mind. I sold it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

:-)
    yes, it is what it is.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, I reserve the right to be inconsistent!
    Actually, as it didn't sell, I sent an email to my dealer, who forwarded it to Fuji UK, who were immediately helful, responsive, realistic and absolutely not defensive - they recognised the shortcomings, said that they were asking Japan to take action, and the dealer offered to give me my money back (with a 10% restocking charge - not bad having taken 600 shots). The whole attitude was responsive and helpful.

. . . . . . . . which left a good taste in my mouth, so I went out and took some more pictures - but this time, rather than trying to fight with it, I tried to work with it:

It's not an M9 . . but it isn't anything else either, and seems to have a character all of it's own. What's more, it's fun to shoot with.

Fun to shoot + nice images = keeper

!
    Jono

You take wonderful shots no matter what tool is in your hands.

I am still selling mine because I don't really see the need for another 12 Mpx camera while still owning the K-5 with lots of wonderful lenses.

However I believe that in another year or two the X100 will morph into an X200 with a larger pixel count, and most if not all of the aggravating shortcomings gone. It will undoubtedly cost more, perhaps as much as $2K but it will then be a winner because the viewfinder is so unique and helpful and the lens is wonderful.

Have fun with yours and keep posting those lovely images

Kindly

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I am not selling mine because I love the 35mm angle for portraits and glamour. Here are some samples...WARNING explicit images (18+ viewers only).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparaz...in/photostream
    And many more on my phtostream...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparazzi666/
    With each pic I have added my comments, likes and dislikes...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Good for you. Not that you've ever been afraid of reversing yourself or admitting mistake. I'm glad you reconsidered if its a fun cam to shoot and you can get shots like this out of it (admittedly the photographer comes into play here LOL) all of which I like the best of anything Ive seen you shoot with it. They all have a character/feel of their own.
    Hi Diane
    Fun was really what it comes down to - and I really do prefer an optical viewfinder, the EVF only really gets used for close up stuff.

. . . . and thanks for the kind words!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Jono

You take wonderful shots no matter what tool is in your hands.

I am still selling mine because I don't really see the need for another 12 Mpx camera while still owning the K-5 with lots of wonderful lenses.

However I believe that in another year or two the X100 will morph into an X200 with a larger pixel count, and most if not all of the aggravating shortcomings gone. It will undoubtedly cost more, perhaps as much as $2K but it will then be a winner because the viewfinder is so unique and helpful and the lens is wonderful.

Have fun with yours and keep posting those lovely images

Kindly

Woody
    HI Woody - thanks for the kind words - As for the X200, well, I guess it's likely that they'll come up with a higher mp version, but I'm not sure that I'm ever going to be paying that kind of money for a fixed focal length camera - and I would guess that any kind of zoom / interchangeable lens would make a hybrid viewfinder pretty tough. . . but we'll see!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Nice, Jono! Worth a bit more time, I think. Funny how life's twists turn us in different directions. It oddly didn't sell, and you have now grown with it
    Hi Ashwin - well, it's a fun thing, and it comes up with nice pictures - enough for now! I would really like a small m4/3 body with a similar kind of viewfinder - maybe its' coming?

Quote Originally Posted by OlliL View Post
    Good decision, hope you didn't drank the water. There is a spider!
    I've drank many a spider in my time . . . as for that water, I think the wine is generally more popular!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Jono
    Fantastic. It IS a keeper indeed. Nobody would even pretend it's an M9 (which is 5000 before glass) or an 'M' anything but I was out with mine (X100 that is) this morning and also with my K5+43mm and spent more time with the X100 ...

Anyway, you have taken some great shots ...

Lee

P.S. Like pics 1,2 and 3 the most ...
    Thanks Lee - I guess I like them best as well, although the dog training strikes a chord.

I've been going out with the K5+18-135 and the X100, and the same thing happened, but whether it will last? who can tell.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    LOL!

I guess I don't suffer from equipment angst or whatever it is that motivates these kinds of threads. If I like a camera I keep it and shoot with it. If I don't I get rid of it. I feel no pressing need to explain why in either case, or discuss reversals in my feelings, or compare it with some other camera I like or dislike, etc.
    No Angst Godfrey
    just a discussion, hopefully an interesting one.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In spite of all my teasing I am really pleased that you are keeping (for a bit anyway!) your X100. IMHO it is a little camera that's well worth persevering with. Despite my tongue in cheek M9 v X100 ravings, it does deserve a place in any serious photographers bag of tools.

Anyway, we know you couldn't really bear to leave us as we are such nice people here!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    In spite of all my teasing I am really pleased that you are keeping (for a bit anyway!) your X100. IMHO it is a little camera that's well worth persevering with. Despite my tongue in cheek M9 v X100 ravings, it does deserve a place in any serious photographers bag of tools.
    Well, not so sure about that, but it's certainly a lot of fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Anyway, we know you couldn't really bear to leave us as we are such nice people here!
    Dave - I think that was a major part of my decision - especially in your case!

all the best

Just this guy you know