The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 why I'm not selling mine!

jonoslack

Well, I reserve the right to be inconsistent!
Actually, as it didn't sell, I sent an email to my dealer, who forwarded it to Fuji UK, who were immediately helful, responsive, realistic and absolutely not defensive - they recognised the shortcomings, said that they were asking Japan to take action, and the dealer offered to give me my money back (with a 10% restocking charge - not bad having taken 600 shots). The whole attitude was responsive and helpful.

. . . . . . . . which left a good taste in my mouth, so I went out and took some more pictures - but this time, rather than trying to fight with it, I tried to work with it:

It's not an M9 . . but it isn't anything else either, and seems to have a character all of it's own. What's more, it's fun to shoot with.

Fun to shoot + nice images = keeper

!

Diane B

Good for you. Not that you've ever been afraid of reversing yourself or admitting mistake. I'm glad you reconsidered if its a fun cam to shoot and you can get shots like this out of it (admittedly the photographer comes into play here LOL) all of which I like the best of anything Ive seen you shoot with it. They all have a character/feel of their own.

Sapphie

Jonot
Fantastic. It IS a keeper indeed. Nobody would even pretend it's an M9 (which is £5000 before glass) or an 'M' anything but I was out with mine (X100 that is) this morning and also with my K5+43mm and spent more time with the X100 ...

Anyway, you have taken some great shots ...

Lee

P.S. Like pics 1,2 and 3 the most ...

ashwinrao1

Nice, Jono! Worth a bit more time, I think. Funny how life's twists turn us in different directions. It oddly didn't sell, and you have now grown with it

Godfrey

LOL!

I guess I don't suffer from equipment angst or whatever it is that motivates these kinds of threads. If I like a camera I keep it and shoot with it. If I don't I get rid of it. I feel no pressing need to explain why in either case, or discuss reversals in my feelings, or compare it with some other camera I like or dislike, etc.

The X100 seems a very capable camera. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would when I handled Terry's, and subsequent handling at B&H confirmed that feeling again. I'm happy with what I decided to buy instead, which is what it is and isn't the same as the other cameras which I also like and use.

Enjoy your camera. Take pictures with it. If you don't like it, get rid of it and move on. :)

In New York City on a soggy day with the GXR...

Chinatown, Manhattan
photo ©2011 by Ann Sanfedele

tom in mpls

Well, I had a thread "I'm not selling my M9" or something like that. I kept working with it, and finally changed my mind. I sold it.

woodyspedden

Well, I reserve the right to be inconsistent!
Actually, as it didn't sell, I sent an email to my dealer, who forwarded it to Fuji UK, who were immediately helful, responsive, realistic and absolutely not defensive - they recognised the shortcomings, said that they were asking Japan to take action, and the dealer offered to give me my money back (with a 10% restocking charge - not bad having taken 600 shots). The whole attitude was responsive and helpful.

. . . . . . . . which left a good taste in my mouth, so I went out and took some more pictures - but this time, rather than trying to fight with it, I tried to work with it:

It's not an M9 . . but it isn't anything else either, and seems to have a character all of it's own. What's more, it's fun to shoot with.

Fun to shoot + nice images = keeper

!
Jono

You take wonderful shots no matter what tool is in your hands.

I am still selling mine because I don't really see the need for another 12 Mpx camera while still owning the K-5 with lots of wonderful lenses.

However I believe that in another year or two the X100 will morph into an X200 with a larger pixel count, and most if not all of the aggravating shortcomings gone. It will undoubtedly cost more, perhaps as much as $2K but it will then be a winner because the viewfinder is so unique and helpful and the lens is wonderful.

Have fun with yours and keep posting those lovely images

Kindly

Woody

jonoslack

Good for you. Not that you've ever been afraid of reversing yourself or admitting mistake. I'm glad you reconsidered if its a fun cam to shoot and you can get shots like this out of it (admittedly the photographer comes into play here LOL) all of which I like the best of anything Ive seen you shoot with it. They all have a character/feel of their own.
Hi Diane
Fun was really what it comes down to - and I really do prefer an optical viewfinder, the EVF only really gets used for close up stuff.

. . . . and thanks for the kind words!

all the best

jonoslack

Jono

You take wonderful shots no matter what tool is in your hands.

I am still selling mine because I don't really see the need for another 12 Mpx camera while still owning the K-5 with lots of wonderful lenses.

However I believe that in another year or two the X100 will morph into an X200 with a larger pixel count, and most if not all of the aggravating shortcomings gone. It will undoubtedly cost more, perhaps as much as $2K but it will then be a winner because the viewfinder is so unique and helpful and the lens is wonderful.

Have fun with yours and keep posting those lovely images

Kindly

Woody
HI Woody - thanks for the kind words - As for the X200, well, I guess it's likely that they'll come up with a higher mp version, but I'm not sure that I'm ever going to be paying that kind of money for a fixed focal length camera - and I would guess that any kind of zoom / interchangeable lens would make a hybrid viewfinder pretty tough. . . but we'll see!

all the best

jonoslack

Nice, Jono! Worth a bit more time, I think. Funny how life's twists turn us in different directions. It oddly didn't sell, and you have now grown with it
Hi Ashwin - well, it's a fun thing, and it comes up with nice pictures - enough for now! I would really like a small m4/3 body with a similar kind of viewfinder - maybe its' coming?

Good decision, hope you didn't drank the water. There is a spider! :eek:
I've drank many a spider in my time . . . as for that water, I think the wine is generally more popular!

Jono
Fantastic. It IS a keeper indeed. Nobody would even pretend it's an M9 (which is £5000 before glass) or an 'M' anything but I was out with mine (X100 that is) this morning and also with my K5+43mm and spent more time with the X100 ...

Anyway, you have taken some great shots ...

Lee

P.S. Like pics 1,2 and 3 the most ...
Thanks Lee - I guess I like them best as well, although the dog training strikes a chord.

I've been going out with the K5+18-135 and the X100, and the same thing happened, but whether it will last? who can tell.

all the best

jonoslack

LOL!

I guess I don't suffer from equipment angst or whatever it is that motivates these kinds of threads. If I like a camera I keep it and shoot with it. If I don't I get rid of it. I feel no pressing need to explain why in either case, or discuss reversals in my feelings, or compare it with some other camera I like or dislike, etc.
No Angst Godfrey
just a discussion, hopefully an interesting one.

dhsimmonds

In spite of all my teasing I am really pleased that you are keeping (for a bit anyway!) your X100. IMHO it is a little camera that's well worth persevering with. Despite my tongue in cheek M9 v X100 ravings, it does deserve a place in any serious photographers bag of tools.:thumbs:

Anyway, we know you couldn't really bear to leave us as we are such nice people here!:rolleyes:

jonoslack

In spite of all my teasing I am really pleased that you are keeping (for a bit anyway!) your X100. IMHO it is a little camera that's well worth persevering with. Despite my tongue in cheek M9 v X100 ravings, it does deserve a place in any serious photographers bag of tools.:thumbs:
Well, not so sure about that, but it's certainly a lot of fun!
Anyway, we know you couldn't really bear to leave us as we are such nice people here!:rolleyes:
Dave - I think that was a major part of my decision - especially in your case!
:p
all the best