The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It was a Warm and Windy day

jonoslack

So I wen't for a long walk with the dog. It really was windy, so there are no close ups . . . . but I liked one or two of the shots:

Home again - time for a glass of wine:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
John,

the colors are really nice! Like these shots!

How you like the cam after all?

I was till now excluding it from my list of wishes, as I wanted to go for a M9. I still am not confident that the M9 (which is a great camera!) will not be replaced pretty soon by a M10 and then prices will go south as it happened with the M8. SO I am considering to rather do an investment in the X100 for that interim solution. I know it is not a M camera! What you think?

Peter

jonoslack

Great sky shots Jono. Montana folks should be envious :salute:
Thank you Carl - we do get nice skies (doesn't everyone who lives somewhere flat say that!?

John,

I was till now excluding it from my list of wishes, as I wanted to go for a M9. I still am not confident that the M9 (which is a great camera!) will not be replaced pretty soon by a M10 and then prices will go south as it happened with the M8. SO I am considering to rather do an investment in the X100 for that interim solution. I know it is not a M camera! What you think?

Peter
HI There Peter
Well, it's simply no substitute for an M9 - the colours are nice - possibly even nicer, and the lens is fine - but it's really no competition for an M9, not however way you look at it.

As you say, it's not an M camera! I can't imagine using it as a substitute for one.

With respect to the M9, it was announced 3 years and 3 days after the M8. That was when there was a really urgent need for an upgrade. (IR problem; full frame etc.)

I can't see any reason why an M10 would come quicker than the M9 - the M9 is still selling, nobody has any real complaints with it - why rush out an M10?

Added to that, I wouldn't expect the value of the M9 to drop very much, after all, it's replacement will be a full frame rangefinder camera (one assumes).

Terry

John,

Peter
Actually, I really don't think M8 prices went south at all after the M9 came out. They still seem to be selling around the same place as where I sold mine pre-M9. What the M9 did is open up a whole new group to the M8 and drove up lens prices.

jonoslack

Actually, I really don't think M8 prices went south at all after the M9 came out. They still seem to be selling around the same place as where I sold mine pre-M9. What the M9 did is open up a whole new group to the M8 and drove up lens prices.
HI Terry
I think you're quite right - still seem to be about what I got for mine when the M9 came out.

The lenses on the other hand are still feeling like something of an investment. I guess they would come down again if Leica started fulfilling demand, but I can't see that happening.

kalex

50% drop is not substantial? M8 cameras are howevering around $2k mark. Some of them can be had for less and those asking more for them are not selling. Thats a pretty big drop from $5k. M8.2 prices dropped too but are a bit higher than M8. Of course prices will drop when M10 will be announced and will come out. Its electronics and as with any electronics prices drop. Glass on the other hand keeps going up but that won't be sustained either. Right now all new M9 owners are pushing prices of certain glass to new heights. That will eventually stop as well. Specially when people realize that they are paying more than they were new :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My M8 dropped from 4.5 k€ to 2 k€ - I would call this substantial and more than 50%. Or I simply did not have the luck of others :D

jonoslack

50% drop is not substantial? M8 cameras are howevering around $2k mark. Some of them can be had for less and those asking more for them are not selling. Thats a pretty big drop from $5k. M8.2 prices dropped too but are a bit higher than M8. Of course prices will drop when M10 will be announced and will come out. Its electronics and as with any electronics prices drop. Glass on the other hand keeps going up but that won't be sustained either. Right now all new M9 owners are pushing prices of certain glass to new heights. That will eventually stop as well. Specially when people realize that they are paying more than they were new :)
Well, I think that a 50% drop over 4/5 years is pretty good (wish my car would sustain that!). Actually, looking here in the UK it seems that the price drop is about 40% - but they're still going for very nearly what I got for mine in September 2009 when the M9 came out (as Terry said).

Leica secondhand lens prices have gone up consistently and regularly over the last many years. I'm sure it'll stop when demand stops - but not until then!

all the best

jonoslack

Jono

Nice 'blues'! Did you use the EVF to get the exposure 'right' in those sky shots, e.g. No 2?

Lee
HI Lee
Thanks - no - no EVF - truth is, I really don't like using EVFs much - I'll use it for close up because I have to.

Years of shooting the Leica with it's rather um rudimentary light meter has given me a good idea about what to do in odd lighting. Actually, the Fuji does pretty well, although it does have a tendency to over-expose clouds, so a -1/3 exposure compensation does it most of the time.

all the best

jonoslack

My M8 dropped from 4.5 k€ to 2 k€ - I would call this substantial and more than 50%. Or I simply did not have the luck of others :D
HI Peter
Maybe it was just the wrong moment (when everyone else was selling theirs?)

Whatever - I'd expect things to be different for the M9, but if you want one . . . . after all, you have the glass, and you have all that hasselblad stuff, which is much more expensive to keep!

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Peter
Maybe it was just the wrong moment (when everyone else was selling theirs?)

Whatever - I'd expect things to be different for the M9, but if you want one . . . . after all, you have the glass, and you have all that hasselblad stuff, which is much more expensive to keep!

all the best
Yeh, I know. My Hassi! In the shelves since ,ore than a year - I keep it because I am not sure if I want to trade it for a Phase back which would bring me 39% discount (with the H3D39). But maybe you are right, I should sell it and go for an M9 and maybe the new Nocti.

Will see.

On the other hand I also am very interested in the X100, just that I have too much old stuff which in my opinion is not possible to sell anymore - Dlux2, 3 and 4 plus EP2 .....

Will talk to my dealer ;)

jonoslack

Yeh, I know. My Hassi! In the shelves since ,ore than a year - I keep it because I am not sure if I want to trade it for a Phase back which would bring me 39% discount (with the H3D39). But maybe you are right, I should sell it and go for an M9 and maybe the new Nocti.

Will see.

On the other hand I also am very interested in the X100, just that I have too much old stuff which in my opinion is not possible to sell anymore - Dlux2, 3 and 4 plus EP2 .....

Will talk to my dealer ;)
HI Peter
the d-lux do okay on ebay, even the old ones. EP2 not so much so I'm afraid. I love the nocti, but to be honest with you it's the 50 'lux which goes on the M9 more often, dunno why, smaller and perfect I guess.

The X100 is a lot of fun (as you can see) - just that it isn't really a substitute for an M.

I must say, for landscape stuff, you have to really need big files for an M9 not to do the business, especially if you're willing to do a bit of stitching. But then I'm a notorious non MF person :ROTFL: