The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 and UV filters?

S

Stephen L

I just ordered my X100 and was wondering do I need to purchase the adapter ring in order to attach a uv filter onto it? or will it just screw onto the lens?

Rich M

I just ordered my X100 and was wondering do I need to purchase the adapter ring in order to attach a uv filter onto it? or will it just screw onto the lens?
Stephen......you need the adapter ring/hood in order to attach a UV filter. You actually don't need the hood per se but you can not purchase them separately.

I would recommend at the start you go nekkid......sans filter until you get a feel for the camera.

R

S

Stephen L

Thanks! Seems really pricey and out of stock everywhere.. I really need a filter on it, because I don't use lens caps when I'm out shooting, normally I wouldn't mind.. but I can't swap out the lens if it gets damaged..

I saw this video on youtube, someone was saying that you can take the glass out of a 49mm filter, reverse it and add another 49mm on it for protection.. has anyone heard of something like this or tried this before?

Sapphie

Thanks! Seems really pricey and out of stock everywhere.. I really need a filter on it, because I don't use lens caps when I'm out shooting, normally I wouldn't mind.. but I can't swap out the lens if it gets damaged..

I saw this video on youtube, someone was saying that you can take the glass out of a 49mm filter, reverse it and add another 49mm on it for protection.. has anyone heard of something like this or tried this before?
I've heard of this but there is a risk that the lens won't extend properly when focusing. I don't think I would risk it ...

Lee

Millsart

Noting so ironic as a "protection" filter damaging the AF mechanism of a lens lol

Seriously though, I'd suggest you instead go for an adapter ring and one of the vented style hoods you can get on Ebay. They are quite cheap and will not only provide very useful protection from flare, but also protect the front element of the lens from any bumps, fingerprints etc.

With the way the X100 can flare as is, last thing I would ever want is a UV on the front of it just compounding the problem

S

Stephen L

Noting so ironic as a "protection" filter damaging the AF mechanism of a lens lol

Seriously though, I'd suggest you instead go for an adapter ring and one of the vented style hoods you can get on Ebay. They are quite cheap and will not only provide very useful protection from flare, but also protect the front element of the lens from any bumps, fingerprints etc.

With the way the X100 can flare as is, last thing I would ever want is a UV on the front of it just compounding the problem
Are you talking about the hood and adapter ring from Fuji? They are insanely expensive on ebay..

monza

Yes, although maybe just remove the glass instead of breaking it, to avoid having little bits of grit in the filter threads.

barjohn

I have the Fuji filter adapter and leather case but I haven't found a UV filter that will go on and allow the case to close properly. Anyone tried the B+W 49mm slim. I purchased an inexpensive japanese one advertised as slim 3mm on Amazon but it still had front threads and was 3.69mm on my micrometer. The Heliopan slim is over 4 MM. Is the B+W actually 3mm?

Rich M

I have the Fuji filter adapter and leather case but I haven't found a UV filter that will go on and allow the case to close properly. Anyone tried the B+W 49mm slim. I purchased an inexpensive japanese one advertised as slim 3mm on Amazon but it still had front threads and was 3.69mm on my micrometer. The Heliopan slim is over 4 MM. Is the B+W actually 3mm?
John......I tried it (the B+W) yesterday at a local camera store and it still doesn't "quite" fit. The magnetic clasp on the case bottom doesn't grab.

What I did buy there was a cheap 58mm snap-on cap......that way I can walk around using the bottom on the Fuji case as a half-case with the hood attached and still protecting (mostly) the lens when not in use.

R

barjohn

Rich,

Thanks for the info. The 3.69mm filter was close. I can close it but there is a gap at the bottom. I was hoping a true 3mm would do it.

OlliL

I tried removing the glass from an old UV-filter I had.
The glass was held by a metal band, which was pressed together and then put in place.
When you look closely, you can see a gap at some point and try to pull it to the inside, to remove that band.

I failed and broke the glass, so I removed it and afterwards detached that ring.
Don't know if every filter is assembled like that, but you could just take a look. ;)

monza

On the B+W that I disassembled, I just grabbed the glass and rotated it, and it slowly came loose, which allowed the retaining ring to start loosening up. Otherwise there was nowhere to grip the retaining ring.

Some retaining rings have two little spots where you can use a spanner or one can fashion a tool out of some tweezers (with fine points) with the prongs spread apart wide.