Site Sponsors

Thread: Charmingly irritating!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charmingly irritating!

First of all I really love my little X100. Yet, it is the most irritating but most irresistable camera that I have ever used. Come to think of it very much like my wife!

I can turn the flash on and make any compensation required and the X100 does a great job with fill-in flash. Next image I don't need the flash so switch it off then find in the process that I have somehow managed to produce multiple shots which on play back examination are clearly bracketed shots at 0, -1/3 and plus 1/3 exposures! I only discovered that because it was taking much longer than usual to write to card!

I get out of that OK and then find that the flash doesn't switch on and the usual "flash" sub-menu is nowhere to be found! After trolling through menu's I give up and decide to reset the camera from the menu item.

Bingo, everything is back where it should be! I can usually switch off and in extreme cases remove and replace the battery and everything is restored OK but this time I needed to do a reset. Amazingly none of my data such as time date and settings were changed during the reset!

Has any of this ever put me off this charming, annoying little camera....nah!

I still reach for my X100 before any of my simple to use (by comparison) full frame DSLR's! so I started to wonder just why? I have concluded that in every single incident with the X100, it is something that I have done that has caused it to irritate me, it is probably exactly the same with my lovely wife in fact!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Charmingly irritating!

Da Wife.... Can't go there....
    Da camera.... It's got a sense of humor for sure.
    Da Wife... No sense of humor....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your wife doesn't have internet access?

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Your wife doesn't have internet access?
    Shhhhhhh......
    She does and actually doesn't care what I buy as long as I'm happy....
    Of course the M9 is out..... She wouldn't want me to be that happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am a wife and I have an X100!
    Happy wife, Happy life......

Dave, I loved your post!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

:-)

I knew within moments of handling Terry's X100 that it would annoy me too much despite being a beautiful piece of equipment. It reminded my immediately of my Nikon 35Ti from a decade and some ago: beautiful, jewel-like, superb performance but a total irritation in use. I became so exasperated with that one, in the middle of a trip I sold it and bought a replacement (Rollei 35 Classic) which I was much happier using.

It's good to hear that many find the X100 to their liking. I still think it's a beautiful camera.