The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fuji X10

Hah - I just looked at the dpreview preview - Richard Butler is hardly Kai is he:ROTFL:

Still, I can see the point . . . but it would be as a riding camera, which is good to use one handed, which makes the manual zoom more of a disadvantage than an advantage . . . maybe I'll just stick to the NEX for now! . . . . . probably :)
What is the preferred camera to use while playing polo?
-bob

ustein

Contributing Editor

>What is the preferred camera to use while playing polo?

GoPro mounted to the horse :)

Millsart

Who ever said that most peoples aspirations are to be a better photographer though ?

Some think of "photography" as this stuffy art form, practiced by people who don't smile much, dress in all black, and carry around a portfolio of peeling paint and dead oak tree's, shot on film of course. Others think of it as pressing a button on their camera phone of their night on the town and uploading to facebook all evening long.

Why does one have to be any more right than the other ?

For that matter, why does one have to have a reason to buy a new camera ?

Am a I better photographer if I own one camera than 10 ?

Does a guy who upgrades every year deserve less respect than a guy still shooting an original Canon 1D for 9 years straight ?

I own about 10 different guitars, because I like guitars, I like collecting lots of different styles of instruments from the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. I don't think that each guitar is going to be make a better musician, I just like playing different ones.

Same with guns. I don't think I'm going to become some sort of crack shot, I just think it might be fun to get an old fashioned "cowboy action" style single action revolver.

Do I think the X10 is going to further my advancement as a photographer ? Of course not, I just think it will be a fun camera to shoot when I want to travel light yet still have something with some control. I've actually got zero desire really to improve as a photographer, or an artist etc. I'm back in school working on a doctorate and hoping to one day leave this profession before it gets to the point where I can't keep roof over my head doing it (which I don't know if in 5 years is realistic for many of us)

Another camera is just another camera. Not going to make me better, not going to make me worse. Not going to make my kids starve because I bought it, nor is it going to change my life other than having a new camera. Not going to inspire me to start wearing skinny jeans and dressing in black and shooting dead things.

Just a reasonably compact, fairly affordable new toy for me to carry around when I don't want my DSLR' s and feel like a bit more control than my iPhone can give me.

I just don't follow this type of reasoning or why some feel the need to try to force it upon others

Millsart

Who are you to judge for anyone else what is or isn't photography ?

Why should it matter to anyone if you don't agree with what they call "photography" ?

Do you walk down the street looking at people taking pictures and judge the ones doing "photography" for those who aren't ?

Do you really feel that because you keep your camera for a longer time than most that its gives you a right or duty to judge others and force your own definitions upon others ?

I mean man, I'm sure glad I didn't upgrade my D3 to a D3s, because while those guys who did are getting cleaner files in dark arena's than me, I can at least say I'm more of a photographer than they are lol

In either case all this camera buying has zero to do with photography. And I agree it's fine if that's what floats the boat as long as finances are in order, but it's not photography and I have often seen it under the pretense it is.

raist3d

You need to read more carefully what I wrote before writing what seems to me an emotionall knee jerk response. If you read again you will see I included myself in. I see something, I am pointing it out.

Whether I feel entitled to point it out or not is for the same reason people point things out. Some do act as if they are focusing on photography but aren't.

It seems you missed about 80% of my points but I'll agree with you perhaps people don't care about being better photographers (which has to do nothing about the concept of artsy photographer as you described it. )

Anyway I am done with this. If you want to talk to me about it send me a pm an ill answer it.

jonoslack

I fail to see what a person's attraction to cameras has to do with their ability to be a great photographer

Keith
On a first glance and ideal world nothing. In real world terms focus is lost and in particular I dare say looking around you can tell one thing doesn't seem to change while cameras do. Anyway using mean to go on, on this. But hat I an say is changing camera models particularly so fast does most likely screws up your photography. Tere was a famous film photographer that mentioned when he changed models and brands it took him about a year to really get the new model at an intuitive level. He changed about four times in his career.

Speaking from experience, it took me longer than I thought to go to a Pentax k-5. We can say each individual has their own speeds but I do make the claim that change as fast as I have seen is most likely not good and I think there's evidence to support that. But I wot get into that. Just want to make sure I answer your question.

In either case all this camera buying has zero to do with photography. And I agree it's fine if that's what floats the boat as long as finances are in order, but it's not photography and I have often seen it under the pretense it is.
I'm with Keith on this - - - - or perhaps a bit with both of you. I find that trying different cameras challenges one's preconceptions and also get's one out of 'ruts' of working. Looking back at new purchases I'm very aware that I often have a 'rush' of creativity with a new camera - with lots of good shots together, which rather flies in the face of your argument Ricardo . . . . Don't you think it depends on the person, the situation and the camera?

Mind you - I also recognise that it takes some time to get used to a camera - it was pointed out to me by my wife that I spend hours in the kitchen, just snapping away - I wasn't even aware of it as 'practicing' I just do it.

On the other hand Ricardo - when things are important I always go back to the M9 or the Sony - both of which are really second nature.

It's silly to have an argument about such things - everybody is different, and one's photography speaks for itself. To assume that equipment has nothing to do with photography may be true for you - but it may not be true for others.

With respect to small sensor cameras - I'm simply getting rid of mine (I have an XZ1 and an LX4 - I don't use them enough to be good at them or to like them. . . . . and the X10 won't be any different I'm sure.

all the best

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Not too sure where to post this, but I've got mine. I managed to squeeze some tests out before I had to charge the battery.
Initial thoughts, very positive. I had the Canon G9 and G10 and the X10 is a different league
The viewfinder is big and bright and reminds you of some of the best film cameras of the past. Its easy to focus using the center of the finder, half press the button and recompose. In fact, that is what you do with a rangefinder camera, but here you don't worry about aligning the patches - much faster than my Epson RD-1. You can easily see the focus confirmation button when you look through the finder.
EXR is only available in jpeg as far as I can see. My test images look good, but I haven't done any raw yet. Build and finish are top notch, about the same as my GXR.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Hmmm . . . . . I'm not too familiar with Silkypix, but it doesn't seem to want to recognize the X10 raw files. Has anyone else tried it?

Keith

ustein

Contributing Editor

>I'm not too familiar with Silkypix, but it doesn't seem to want to recognize the X10 raw files. Has anyone else tried it?

Seems to work for me (recent version).

jonoslack

Not too sure where to post this, but I've got mine. I managed to squeeze some tests out before I had to charge the battery.
Initial thoughts, very positive. I had the Canon G9 and G10 and the X10 is a different league
The viewfinder is big and bright and reminds you of some of the best film cameras of the past. Its easy to focus using the center of the finder, half press the button and recompose. In fact, that is what you do with a rangefinder camera, but here you don't worry about aligning the patches - much faster than my Epson RD-1. You can easily see the focus confirmation button when you look through the finder.
EXR is only available in jpeg as far as I can see. My test images look good, but I haven't done any raw yet. Build and finish are top notch, about the same as my GXR.

Keith
Hi Keith
congratulations! The optical viewfinder is a real lure . . and after my rather grumpy response to Ricardo I feel it's only right to make a positive response to a new acquisition!

I'll be fascinated to see how you get on with the RAW files.

all the best

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Jono - the viewfinder really is a refreshing change.

For my "urban landscape" stuff I use my GXR and usually one of the Ricoh small zooms. The Ricoh EVF is ok but not an "immediate" experience like the Fuji (I hope to try the Sony Nex EVF when I replace my 3C with a 5N) I think the X10 will be great for what I need after a bit of practice as it really is a new kind of camera in this class.
I shoot usually 4:3 or 1:1 and the X10 has this capability. But you have to be careful as the viewfinder always shows the same frame aspect ratio - best then to switch to the LCD if you need square.
The zoom linkage to the viewfinder is really good - no lag and it feels nicely mechanical.
Haven't had much of a chance to test the IQ yet, the weather is not cooperating.

Here is a pic of my two Fuji "rangefinder" cameras. The film camera still gets lots of use

Keith

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Here is part of an unprocessed raw image exported as a tiff from Silkypix (about 25% of the actual image)

ISO 640, 1/400s, f5.6

Keith

Terry

Battery is charging after I played for a little bit. Impressed with the build quality. Basic operation seems very straight forward. All the extra stuff will take some time in reading the manual and asking questions here.

Terry

My cameras always seem to come while I'm at work and my first shots are always in the dark.

Self Portrait:
ISO 1000 jpeg. No processing.

raist3d

Just had a chance to play with the X10 so here are a few thoughts on my impressions:

Good:

- High ISO performance of this camera is best in class. I would say it's probably about a stop and a half over an LX5 as the ISO goes up
- The fact the camera could take an ISO 12800 shot and still keep overall tone and color is just phenomenal. It's not perfect but it works for many situations like web, etc.
- The two dials are stiff and click, good feel
- Camera is pretty solid
- The lens seems to me phenomenal. Again, best in class. It seems to have this "micro contrast" thing going on that captures tones well and on mildly resized shots that are even higher ISO, the shots have this DSLR aspect to them.
- As always, Fujifilm JPEG engine is best in class and they exceeded what I have seen them do with the EXR sensor when shooting at native resolution where it tends to become a bit of a resolution softness.
- The camera to me does pass the camera in jeans pocket test. Maybe a tight fit sitting down but it does.

Less good:

- I honestly found the camera complicated interface wise and I think I need to explain a bit- I don't mean "oh I am only using it for five minutes complicated". I mean like the whole usability of the UI/buttons combined with the attempt at retro feels mixed. I believe the X100 was commented by some for the same.

Personally I think Fuji in going retro to basics should have done a more basic barebones interface and set of options. I honestly find the Pentax Q ergonomics far more photographer centric. Another example would be the Sigma DPx series. The Sigma in particular is very to the point.

- Raist

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Here is a jpeg straight from the camera. EXR mode "Dynamic Range" setting (6MP).

f5.6, 1/105s/ ISO 640

Colors are good. Could use some more sharpening, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Interface is different to what I'm used to.

Keith

Terry

Less good:

- I honestly found the camera complicated interface wise and I think I need to explain a bit- I don't mean "oh I am only using it for five minutes complicated". I mean like the whole usability of the UI/buttons combined with the attempt at retro feels mixed. I believe the X100 was commented by some for the same.

- Raist
I think using the camera in Aperture/Shutter Priority or Manual mode is dead easy. I like the controls good detents and the upper control wheel moves easily but in a very controlled way. I have ISO on the fn button on the top deck for right now.

So, that means ISO, EV, A or S, AE/AF lock, move the AF area, change the drive mode, change the exposure (spot/multi) are all simple and intuitive. That is 99% the way I shoot.

What will take a bunch of time and is confusing are the different EXR type modes and how to in a simple way take advantage of them. I'm going to try and save two of those as the custom modes.

So, as people figure out (what I consider) the confusing stuff, please post it here.

p.s. it will take me a short while to program my brain to remember to use the +/- keys to enlarge a shot. I've had other cameras like this before and liked it that way.

The camera is all aspects feels faster than the X100.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

EXR mode "DR" setting, 1/200s, f2, ISO 100. Jpeg straight from camera.

In the very harsh early morning fall light the DR mode works really well

Keith