-------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the Fuji X10

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    If you use camera JPEG images the in camera Picture Style settings are crucial.
    Here are our Picture Style settings (for JPEGs):
    Image Size: Large
    Dynamic Range: 200%
    Film Simulation: STD
    Color: MID
    Sharpness: M-SOFT (to avoid over sharpening with halos)
    Highlight Tone: M-SOFT
    Shadow Tone: SOFT (shows more open shadows)
    Noise Reduction: LOW
    These settings are made to allow the most options in your post processing. Blocked shadows and clipped highlights cannot be undone later.
    Does this mean that you will always be working with 12mp and the camera will not use EXR mode?

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

>Does this mean that you will always be working with 12mp and the camera will not use EXR mode?

Most of the time I guess. But EXR modes are also worth to explore and most settings would stay the same.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

cosinaphile

this was shot with the x10 , i love this little shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have added an X10 section to my website at Boxed Light. So far I am really enjoying using this little camera. http://www.boxedlight.com/x10/ I've not begun to play with RAW yet and still learning about the "hidden features" of the X10. No regrets on the purchase. This may be the camera that replaces my small sensor D-Lux 4.

Here are a few samples from my first couple of days with it.

Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji X10

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Here's some interesting math: at widest setting the X10 lens has a 3.55 mm max aperture, and at longest setting the max aperture is 10.1 mm.

Compare this to a typical m43 kit zoom lens like the Panasonic 14-42/3.5-5.6, with 4 mm aperture at widest and 7.5 mm aperture at longest focal length.

Two conclusions from this (ignoring the fact that wide and tele ends have a bit different angles of view):
    - X10 lens is able to defocus to at least the same degree as a m43 kit lens;
    - X10 lens captures at least as much light as a m43 kit lens, which despite difference in sensor size should be reflected in sensitivity and noise levels being comparable. In theory, that is - for a given shutter speed a lower ISO can be used on X10.

I think that's what people are seeing in actual use?
    There is actually a fairly long history for this sort of thing. At one time I had a Leica Digilux 2 with 7-22.5/2-2.4 and an Olympus E-410 with 14-42/3.5-5.6. The Leica sensor was near exactly a 4x crop, while the Oly was a 2x crop. Meanwhile, the two cameras were almost exactly the same size with the Leica zoom having the distinct advantages of better feel and lack of extension while zooming. It also slightly exceeded the Oly lens in terms of physical aperture at tele.

The Panasonic LX3 re-invented the small sensor fast zoom, bringing to it a much more compact form than we saw with the classic "bridge" cameras. The Samsung TL500/EX1 took things a step further by extending the tele reach, and the Olympus XZ1 eeked out a touch more speed. The Fuji joins the Samsung and Olympus as members of this class of camera which can match the total light gathering ability and DOF control of a typical Micro 4/3 kit, which is much larger.

On the other hand, power-extending, collapsible designs like the new Panasonic Lumix X 14-42 bring the MFT cameras back down to the size of this Fuji X10 class of camera, and while the total light gathering may not differ, when light is adequate for both cameras to be used at base ISO, the larger sensor camera will offer some advantages in image quality, eg tonal range.

Post Thanks / Like

The color I am seeing from Fuji X10 JPEGs in this thread and others is making me extremely tempted to get this camera. For better or for worse, I can't afford it right now... but I am terribly tempted.

Post Thanks / Like

Walking to work this morning:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm about to settle in and watch this 30 minute video....."The Fuji Guys" usually give good info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVy506wbwc

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, Jim, Uwe, others--

Thanks so much for your great information. I should have the X10 in my hands in a few days [Jack's Camera in Muncie, IN had a couple--they've been great to deal with in the past], and looking forward to carrying it when I;m just not in the mood for the M's with multiple bodies and lenses. I particularly appreciate having a starting point for JPEGs and for the undocumented features.

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of the hybrid VF from the X100 is a 100% no go for me!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by quadtones View Post
    Terry, Jim, Uwe, others--

Thanks so much for your great information. I should have the X10 in my hands in a few days [Jack's Camera in Muncie, IN had a couple--they've been great to deal with in the past], and looking forward to carrying it when I;m just not in the mood for the M's with multiple bodies and lenses. I particularly appreciate having a starting point for JPEGs and for the undocumented features.
    Norm - have fun with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    The lack of the hybrid VF from the X100 is a 100% no go for me!
    Yes that would have been nice. Obviously X10 is in another price bracket, a good guess is that the hybrid VF was cut to reduce cost.

I think Fujifilm is testing different market niches to see what will work commercially. I wouldn't be surprised if an X100 with a zoom lens is added eventually. But first up next year is the rumored interchangeable-lens X series camera.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the data part would have worked fine. However, the focus box and parallax correction that drove/drives people crazy on the X100 would have been exacerbated with the zoom lens and then the same zoom built into the viewfinder.

It will be interested to see how they modify the hybrid for the interchangeable lens version. Will it be static like M8/M9 or change based on the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went out yesterday afternoon for a little shooting time with the X10 using the EXR mode.. visited my old favorites, the trains in Grapevine, TX.

Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, love it. What are your thoughts on EXR?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim - These look great

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think the data part would have worked fine. However, the focus box and parallax correction that drove/drives people crazy on the X100 would have been exacerbated with the zoom lens and then the same zoom built into the viewfinder.

It will be interested to see how they modify the hybrid for the interchangeable lens version. Will it be static like M8/M9 or change based on the lens.
    As you say - a proper 'zooming' optical rangefinder is likely to be a real challenge - I can see the advantage of having a static optical viewfinder and an EVF.

Jim - lovely shots -

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, love it. What are your thoughts on EXR?
    Yesterday was the only time I have played with EXR so I really don't have much to say about it other than it looks promising. I was pleased with the way the photos came out.. wanted to shoot more but the rain started and I had to cut the outing short. Will play more as time permits.

Jono and Terry, thanks.

Terry, looking forward to shots from your upcoming trip... envy... I'm once again stuck in Dallas.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am very impressed with the photos I am seeing from the X10. Jim, I particularly like your processing in your last set of photos. Care to share? I understand if you don't want to divulge your secret sauce.

Post Thanks / Like

Likewise Jim I would love to hear a quick over view of your work flow particularly ..how you process for display on the web. Those images and your website look amazing .

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fantastic work, Jim.

With the quality you guys get out of this camera, it's rather tempting to consider an X10 for all day-to-day photography, anything except action and telephoto work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark and Roger,

Thanks for the kind words. As for the post-processing, it's really quite simple.

I use Photoshop CS5 only:

1 re-size to 1000 px in width (I always re-size first)
    2 layer adjustment - levels
    3 layer adjustment - contrast (sometimes omitted and use curves instead)
    4 layer adjustment - curves (for fine tuning)
    5 layer adjustment - hue & saturation (tweak color, enhance some, subdue others)
    6 layer adjustment - photo filter (I do not use this all the time)
    7 dodge and burn (if needed)
    8 Sharpen (if needed)
    9 Export for web at 72 dpi and upload to my server.

Understand that none of these steps (2 thru 8) are always implemented. Each photo gets treated manually and not every step is always needed.. I do not use actions.

For B&W conversions I simply use the B&W adjustment layer and tweak using the sliders for tonality and a curves adjustment layer for contrast and also tonality.

Hope that answers your question... no magic here.. just treating each photo based on what I feel are the best steps to get the most from the file.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

> just treating each photo based on what I feel are the best steps to get the most from the file.

You have a good feel.

>1 re-size to 1000 px in width (I always re-size first)

Do you print? If, you redo the image?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post

1 re-size to 1000 px in width (I always re-size first)
    I like your photo's Jim but do you mean you redo the photograph every time for every size you need? I know many would just make a 'master' full resolution TIFF image with all their adjustments (except sharpening), and then re-size, change to JPEG, and sharpen for the appropriate use, web, print etc.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

Thanks for the insights . As Uwe and Steve have pointed out your work flow seems focused(maybe optimized ) for output to the screen at a small size . It clearly works well ..you have the images to show .

The downside is that if you also print ......you would be required to reprocess from the original . Thus it depends on how much you print as to whether this is much of an issue.

But when I see such great work from such small files ...I wonder if I have my priorities right .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful work Jim, did you choose to lose the shadow detail in your processing? I'd like to see a bit more into those shadows, I think.

Thanks for sharing, the colour is very nice indeed.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should have clarified that this is my workflow for the web. For prints I resize based on what size print I will produce. I have found that the same steps work for prints but sometimes, depending on the type of print being made, I must modify the layer adjustments on the images. It depends on the paper that will be used. Some print darker, some lighter.

So, yes, sometimes I end up redoing the work but understand that none of what I listed above takes much time at all and I do enjoy post work so it's not really an issue or bothersome.

I tried working on full size images and then resizing for the web but they appeared to me to loose something when I downsized them. Maybe it's all in my head.

I no longer print on an inkjet at home. My results never pleased me and the cost of ink and paper can be a real pain in the wallet.. so, when I want prints I send them to a local lab that has a variety of different paper I can use.

Truth is that I do not have enough room in my home for many prints. I need a bigger house!
    Last edited by Jim Radcliffe; 22nd November 2011 at 05:21.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim,

The Fuji X10 looks great...as do all cameras in your posts! :>) I have a X100 and am trying to decide if it is worth the effort.

I was out to the Grapevine RR and wondered if you have walked to the railbridge just a little down the line?

http://robertemoorephoto.com/p254659952#h23fc67

I ignored it for years but it is worth a look.

If you are up to an outing this weekend PM me...I would love to catch up on what you have been doing.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Walking to work this morning:
    Hi Arjuna
    don't care about the camera - this is a lovely shot - excellent!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    Hope that answers your question... no magic here.. just treating each photo based on what I feel are the best steps to get the most from the file.
    Absolutely - actions are generalisations, which don't seem to work for me.

But I'm not as conscientious as you in doing different versions for the web and for printing. . . . . . . perhaps I should!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One from this morning... on my way to work I noticed a bit of fog and knew that there would be more fog and a chance to shoot a sunrise through it at a small lake not far from my home... here is the result.... and I was late for work due to waiting on the light.

Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stunning, Jim!!

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    Stunning, Jim!!
    +1

Seems too bad I never drive to work :-)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Clearing storm - Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge (New Mexico)

Last edited by Terry; 26th November 2011 at 19:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good composition.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1

Seems too bad I never drive to work :-)
    +2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry....

New Mexico is also famous for amazing sunrise and sets... keep an eye open for those.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jim,
    That was the last of the clouds. Perfectly clear for the last two days. So boring sunrise/sunset plus it allowed the temp to drop to a balmy 15(F) degrees this AM. Although 15 with not wind today was a better than the 20's with a big wind the morning before.

I think it is time to plan a nice weekend heading north to Santa Fe/Toas sometime soon. .

Post Thanks / Like

I had this thread!

Just loaded up the battery and try to get to know my new toy.
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay Okay Okay - I've seen enough reviews, I'm sure I don't need another small sensor camera . . . .but:

1. I'm getting increasingly impressed
    2. There is a fantastic deal available until tomorrow morning.

So - Uwe - Jim - Terry - Ross - I'm relying on you!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tell me more about this fantastic deal Jono? is it a one off, or can you share?

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Tell me more about this fantastic deal Jono? is it a one off, or can you share?

Cheers

Brian
    Hi Brian
    Park cameras - scroll down.
    Park Cameras Deals

It looked pretty good to me - I even got to the checkout . . . and then realised that having sold my last small sensor camera 2 weeks ago because I didn't use it . . . it was probably not all that sensible to go out and get another one - especially one that was as big as the NEX7 I'm definitely going to get!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono - wow, what lens will you be using with the NEX7?

You're right though... I too have waaaay too many cameras and I'm not using any of them enough right now!

Hope you're well

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono...

It's probably best you held off on the X10.. it does have one glaring wart, see my review of the issue at http://www.boxedlight.com/x10

It seems to have an issue with handling specular highlights.. some of have indicated this is caused by operator error but I am not so sure. At any rate the camera is a pleasure to use and works quite well for what and how I shoot. Love the feel of the thing and the form factor.

I had a chance to handle the NEX-7 in Austin, Texas several weeks ago and was, at the time, considering it, the form factor put me off. It just did not feel comfortable in my hands. I look forward to seeing what you get from it.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

> it does have one glaring wart

Please link to the image you mean. You image collection is spectacular.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe, it's in Jim's write up.

Here's the example.

Thanks for the heads up Jim. You do have a terrific collection of sample shots there.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Glaring Wart...

> it does have one glaring wart

Please link to the image you mean. You image collection is spectacular.
    Here you go.. took this yesterday after reding so much about how the X10 has difficulty rendering specular highlights. I renders them as blobs of light, totally blown... no rays of light as might be expected with say the K5. I do believe this is a problem.. but for most of what I shoot it should not cause problems.

As you can see, it almost looks like a hole in the photo. I tried a number of shots both at 12mp and 6mp with the same result. If you venture into the Fujitalk form on DPReview you will see plenty of examples.. it's a major uproar over there. I had not really noticed any of this because nothing I have been shooting had specular highlights.. once I shot the car I saw what people were so upset about... it renders the same way with say, christmas tree lights.. instead of points of light with rays they become blobs of light... not very pretty. I hope Fuji has a firmware fix for this and that is is not a characteristic of the sensor in the X10.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not pretty. Do you also have the Raw? If so send it to me [email protected]
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not pretty. Do you also have the Raw? If so send it to me [email protected]
    Uwe, yes, I do.. it is at home, don't have a copy here at the office. I will send the raw file to you this evening or set it up as a download on my website.

You should be able to duplicate this easily. If it's sunny out there today.. go find a car with some chrome on it and shoot it.. you'll get the same result.

Here are the settings I used: Shot at ISO 100 at f/8. Shutter speed: 1/480 EV - 1/3 Metering Mode: Matrix File Size: Large / Fine
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com