The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

Terry

Terry, Jim, Uwe, others--

Thanks so much for your great information. I should have the X10 in my hands in a few days [Jack's Camera in Muncie, IN had a couple--they've been great to deal with in the past], and looking forward to carrying it when I;m just not in the mood for the M's with multiple bodies and lenses. I particularly appreciate having a starting point for JPEGs and for the undocumented features.
Norm - have fun with it!

Lars

The lack of the hybrid VF from the X100 is a 100% no go for me!
Yes that would have been nice. Obviously X10 is in another price bracket, a good guess is that the hybrid VF was cut to reduce cost.

I think Fujifilm is testing different market niches to see what will work commercially. I wouldn't be surprised if an X100 with a zoom lens is added eventually. But first up next year is the rumored interchangeable-lens X series camera.

Terry

I think the data part would have worked fine. However, the focus box and parallax correction that drove/drives people crazy on the X100 would have been exacerbated with the zoom lens and then the same zoom built into the viewfinder.

It will be interested to see how they modify the hybrid for the interchangeable lens version. Will it be static like M8/M9 or change based on the lens.

I went out yesterday afternoon for a little shooting time with the X10 using the EXR mode.. visited my old favorites, the trains in Grapevine, TX.

jonoslack

I think the data part would have worked fine. However, the focus box and parallax correction that drove/drives people crazy on the X100 would have been exacerbated with the zoom lens and then the same zoom built into the viewfinder.

It will be interested to see how they modify the hybrid for the interchangeable lens version. Will it be static like M8/M9 or change based on the lens.
As you say - a proper 'zooming' optical rangefinder is likely to be a real challenge - I can see the advantage of having a static optical viewfinder and an EVF.

Jim - lovely shots -

Jim, love it. What are your thoughts on EXR?
Yesterday was the only time I have played with EXR so I really don't have much to say about it other than it looks promising. I was pleased with the way the photos came out.. wanted to shoot more but the rain started and I had to cut the outing short. Will play more as time permits.

Jono and Terry, thanks.

Terry, looking forward to shots from your upcoming trip... envy... I'm once again stuck in Dallas.

I am very impressed with the photos I am seeing from the X10. Jim, I particularly like your processing in your last set of photos. Care to share? I understand if you don't want to divulge your secret sauce.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Likewise Jim I would love to hear a quick over view of your work flow particularly ..how you process for display on the web. Those images and your website look amazing .

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Fantastic work, Jim.

With the quality you guys get out of this camera, it's rather tempting to consider an X10 for all day-to-day photography, anything except action and telephoto work.

Mark and Roger,

Thanks for the kind words. As for the post-processing, it's really quite simple.

I use Photoshop CS5 only:

1 re-size to 1000 px in width (I always re-size first)
2 layer adjustment - levels
3 layer adjustment - contrast (sometimes omitted and use curves instead)
4 layer adjustment - curves (for fine tuning)
5 layer adjustment - hue & saturation (tweak color, enhance some, subdue others)
6 layer adjustment - photo filter (I do not use this all the time)
7 dodge and burn (if needed)
8 Sharpen (if needed)
9 Export for web at 72 dpi and upload to my server.

Understand that none of these steps (2 thru 8) are always implemented. Each photo gets treated manually and not every step is always needed.. I do not use actions.

For B&W conversions I simply use the B&W adjustment layer and tweak using the sliders for tonality and a curves adjustment layer for contrast and also tonality.

Hope that answers your question... no magic here.. just treating each photo based on what I feel are the best steps to get the most from the file.

ustein

Contributing Editor
> just treating each photo based on what I feel are the best steps to get the most from the file.

You have a good feel.

>1 re-size to 1000 px in width (I always re-size first)

Do you print? If, you redo the image?

250swb

1 re-size to 1000 px in width (I always re-size first)
I like your photo's Jim but do you mean you redo the photograph every time for every size you need? I know many would just make a 'master' full resolution TIFF image with all their adjustments (except sharpening), and then re-size, change to JPEG, and sharpen for the appropriate use, web, print etc.

Steve

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Jim

Thanks for the insights . As Uwe and Steve have pointed out your work flow seems focused(maybe optimized ) for output to the screen at a small size . It clearly works well ..you have the images to show .

The downside is that if you also print ......you would be required to reprocess from the original . Thus it depends on how much you print as to whether this is much of an issue.

But when I see such great work from such small files ...I wonder if I have my priorities right .

Brian Mosley

Beautiful work Jim, did you choose to lose the shadow detail in your processing? I'd like to see a bit more into those shadows, I think.

Thanks for sharing, the colour is very nice indeed.

Brian

I should have clarified that this is my workflow for the web. For prints I resize based on what size print I will produce. I have found that the same steps work for prints but sometimes, depending on the type of print being made, I must modify the layer adjustments on the images. It depends on the paper that will be used. Some print darker, some lighter.

So, yes, sometimes I end up redoing the work but understand that none of what I listed above takes much time at all and I do enjoy post work so it's not really an issue or bothersome.

I tried working on full size images and then resizing for the web but they appeared to me to loose something when I downsized them. Maybe it's all in my head.

I no longer print on an inkjet at home. My results never pleased me and the cost of ink and paper can be a real pain in the wallet.. so, when I want prints I send them to a local lab that has a variety of different paper I can use.

Truth is that I do not have enough room in my home for many prints. I need a bigger house! :)

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Jim,

The Fuji X10 looks great...as do all cameras in your posts! :>) I have a X100 and am trying to decide if it is worth the effort.

I was out to the Grapevine RR and wondered if you have walked to the railbridge just a little down the line?

http://robertemoorephoto.com/p254659952#h23fc67

I ignored it for years but it is worth a look.

If you are up to an outing this weekend PM me...I would love to catch up on what you have been doing.

Bob