The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

HeavyDuty

Re: Fuji X10

I'm normally not one for buying newly released gear, but this time I couldn't help myself. My X10 should be here tomorrow.

I've taken more than a year off from photography and have found myself reluctant to pick up the film Leica gear again - the workflow is more trouble than it's worth and I have no intention of setting up a wet darkroom again. (I've been shooting BW400CN or XP2, having it scanned commercially, and then post at home.)

I can't justify or afford an M9, M8, RD or even an X100 right now, so I'm going to give this little box a try for my urban stuff. I think it'll work out fine.

Terry

I'm normally not one for buying newly released gear, but this time I couldn't help myself. My X10 should be here tomorrow.

I've taken more than a year off from photography and have found myself reluctant to pick up the film Leica gear again - the workflow is more trouble than it's worth and I have no intention of setting up a wet darkroom again. (I've been shooting BW400CN or XP2, having it scanned commercially, and then post at home.)

I can't justify or afford an M9, M8, RD or even an X100 right now, so I'm going to give this little box a try for my urban stuff. I think it'll work out fine.
Have fun with it. Certainly more fun than scanning.....I shot a little bit with jpegs set to B&W with a red filter and liked what I was getting.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>is that you have a cross of buttons (four) and then the dial. In pretty much all the cameras that have said dial if you press the buttons you get a tactile feel of spinning that wheel.

Don't like this either but live with it :)

>Adobe has release candidates up for ACR and LR and they don't support X10 RAW files.

Too bad. This is also often a sign how well a company works with Adobe (getting them a camera and specs).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

>Adobe has release candidates up for ACR and LR and they don't support X10 RAW files.

Too bad. This is also often a sign how well a company works with Adobe (getting them a camera and specs).
I suspect this may have something to do with the nature of the EXR concept. It might simply require more work from Adobe's side. With the old Super CCD from Fuji, they were never up to the kind of results that could be obtained with Fuji's own software.

Lars

As far as i recall from building raw converters a few years ago, SuperCCD raw files have a diagonal layout that the raw converter has to handle in a different way than a straight Bayer layout.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

The two sensor types have in common that in high DR mode, two sets of sensor cells are exposed differently to achieve the extra DR.

raist3d

Don't like this either but live with it :)
Haha.. well if I get the X10, yes, I will put up with it ;-) But my god I hate it. The first cameras that had this if I remember correctly where the Canons.

- Ricardo

Terry

Haha.. well if I get the X10, yes, I will put up with it ;-) But my god I hate it. The first cameras that had this if I remember correctly where the Canons.

- Ricardo
Watch out you are starting to sound like me and my undying love for the Oly UI :D.

jonoslack

I've just sold all my small sensor cameras on ebay.
It's like a weight off my mind, now I don't have to feel guilty about not using them anymore.

. . . . if I get tempted again, I'll just compare the size with a NEX 5n!

NEX 5n compared to X10

Hooray!

p.s. thanks Terry for setting me freeeeeeeeeeee

raist3d

Watch out you are starting to sound like me and my undying love for the Oly UI :D.
Oh yeah :) Keep in mind, this put me off the E-PL3… because… drum roll - it has that wheel! :)

On the X10 then you get the vertical row of buttons on the left. The problem: hard to hold the camera without touching on *some* buttons, and if you are touching on that wheel, ay.

I may still go for it, but still mulling this. Or maybe just wait. Next year the successor of the LX5 should be interesting (unless Panasonic screws up), and Pentax is to announce something new next year to "plug a hole" in the line.

My fear is that that could be either a FF camera (I doubt it), or a built in lens, larger sensor camera - which is fine but if it doesn't fit in a pocket, it's a no go.

I was surprised the X10 does. That's huge ++ for it.

- Ricardo

raist3d

It's like a weight off my mind, now I don't have to feel guilty about not using them anymore.

NEX 5n compared to X10

Hooray!

Big applause on selling equipment. It will help you keep more focused on your photography and like you said, it does take a weight off.

I have a nice collection of 4/3rd lenses and I have been ever wondering what to do with them.

- Raist

raist3d

Interesting thought of the day:

Could you shoot a wedding on an X10? I am getting a hunch you could. The only huge cons I am seeing in it is that battery life (which means just carry a load of them). And if you could do that, could I be happy selling my Pentax and keep only ONE camera.. the X10?

This is my latest crazy thought.

- Ricardo

raist3d

NEX 5n compared to X10

Hooray!

The problem of the Nex 5n in this comparison is the lenses. When Sony makes high quality optical pancakes, I think they have a win. Until then…

(a win for the small, excellent quality camera).

- Ricardo

Terry

Oh yeah :)
On the X10 then you get the vertical row of buttons on the left. The problem: hard to hold the camera without touching on *some* buttons, and if you are touching on that wheel, ay.

- Ricardo
Shooting my left hand is on the lens.
Review it is on the camera - right where all the playback controls are conveniently located :ROTFL:

HeavyDuty

Have fun with it. Certainly more fun than scanning.....I shot a little bit with jpegs set to B&W with a red filter and liked what I was getting.
I'm actually hoping that setting it up for RAW + JPEG with the 'pegs in one of the B&W modes will be a great visualization tool. I'm horribly out of practice...

Terry

I thought about looking on brandon's Blog to see what he has done with the X10 but just hadn't gotten there until now. He works for Fuji and had a lot of good blog entries when the X100 came out. He was also able to answer some questions on the X100 forum. I can't link directly to the blog you need to go to the main site and select it. His last 5 plus entries cover his shooting with the X10

http://www.brandonremler.com/