The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

Lars

Re: Fuji X10

Here's some interesting math: at widest setting the X10 lens has a 3.55 mm max aperture, and at longest setting the max aperture is 10.1 mm.

Compare this to a typical m43 kit zoom lens like the Panasonic 14-42/3.5-5.6, with 4 mm aperture at widest and 7.5 mm aperture at longest focal length.

Two conclusions from this (ignoring the fact that wide and tele ends have a bit different angles of view):
- X10 lens is able to defocus to at least the same degree as a m43 kit lens;
- X10 lens captures at least as much light as a m43 kit lens, which despite difference in sensor size should be reflected in sensitivity and noise levels being comparable. In theory, that is - for a given shutter speed a lower ISO can be used on X10.

I think that's what people are seeing in actual use?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Here's some interesting math: at widest setting the X10 lens has a 3.55 mm max aperture, and at longest setting the max aperture is 10.1 mm.

Compare this to a typical m43 kit zoom lens like the Panasonic 14-42/3.5-5.6, with 4 mm aperture at widest and 7.5 mm aperture at longest focal length.

Two conclusions from this (ignoring the fact that wide and tele ends have a bit different angles of view):
- X10 lens is able to defocus to at least the same degree as a m43 kit lens;
- X10 lens captures at least as much light as a m43 kit lens, which despite difference in sensor size should be reflected in sensitivity and noise levels being comparable. In theory, that is.

I think that's what people are seeing in actual use?
That is definitely what I am seeing, and its getting me completely fuddled (mixed up and baffled).

The obvious differences in IQ between categories of sensor sizes, camera types, sizes etc are getting smeared with these new products we have seen in the past year.

If you use a GRX it becomes even more of an enigma because I can use my M-mount with a Leica lens and get images up to par with, dare I say it (but read the reviews) the M8 and in some respects the M9. I then go out with my P10 module plugged in and do those nice gritty black and white shots like the ones that I admire so much from Daido Moriyama . . . and I am using the same camera body and user interface.

I have a couple of M4/3 kits, a Sony a55 DSLR, a GRX with four modules and now an x10. I also do a lot of 35 film. I find I am using the GRX and my film cameras most of the time, and the x10.

I think for the people like me who don't do humongous prints the new era of Small Is Beautiful is here. I've just bought a beautiful Maxxum 7D, probably, the largest and heaviest camera I have, with a dazzling 6MP to match those on the EXR mode of my x10.

Keith

Diane B

Re: Fun with X10

Just very nice Uwe. From all I read it seems a number of reviewers see it in a different class from P&S. Where do you feel it falls? Maybe you aren't ready to make that assessment until you shoot with it more but I'll be interested in your thoughts.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor

>rom all I read it seems a number of reviewers see it in a different class from P&S.

Very different in many aspects:

- ISO 400 and 800 can be usable
- Nice rangefinder viewer
- Fast AEB bracketing
- fast zoom (like XZ1)
- Manual zoom
- well built
- amazing image quality for a small sensor

ustein

Contributing Editor

>may i ask you which raw converter do you use? (if you use one)

All shots derived from JPEGs.

ustein

Contributing Editor

I normally use only Raw but these JPEGs are not bad. Somewhat clipped in the shadows though.

ustein

Contributing Editor

ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/13 sec (handheld) in a very dark room. Have shot it many times and don't think the other pics were better.

Terry

I went for a walk at the Ferry Terminal market this morning.

I tried a number of different settings, including face detection so I could use the viewfinder without having o focus and recompose. I had some mixed results....some being user error. I did shoot bracketed and still managed to blow a bunch of highlights so I do await RAW files. I didn't use EXR dynamic range but will try that.

Here are number of quick shots. I really like the color. I used some fill and recovery but didn't touch any colors.

Diane B

Fuji colors are so nice. The roasting meat, Swiss chard and peppers look exactly as they do in my world LOL.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>The roasting meat and peppers look exactly as they do in my world

Think so too.

Terry

The roasting meat is delicious but not really at 10AM.

Got an message from a friend today. He was at a camera show in Austin.
Fuji rep was there, and had a sample of the hood and leather case. The hood will cost $50 but no estimate on when it is going to be available.
Also, Precision Camera in Austin apparently has about 15 of the X10's in stock.

ustein

Contributing Editor

Today we shot some well known scenes in overcast (love it). All images are based on camera JPEGs.

We like the results. Let alone from a P&S small sensor camera.

Terry

Decided to start seeing what the EXR modes can do....nothing like starting with a torture test.